Mars Colony - Still open to new players

Started by Chrystal, July 29, 2012, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainbowRian

Hydroponics? I have a real interest in botony but it is understood the limit of water to possibly do so? I will work on my sheet now so that I can hopefully be on this shuttle drop :) but I will leave the occupation blank so that we can discuss it further

RainbowRian

Okay I am semi new at this so any comments or ideas are welcome but bare with me the muses are being blah tonight

player: RainbowRian

Name: Xander Rian Isley
Nationality: United States
Sexuality: Gay

Job: Hydroponics
Specific skills: Hand to Hand Combat, Vast knowledge of herbal medicines and poisons, Fast Learner, Easy to get along with. Vast knowledge of plantlife.

Height: 185.5
Weight: 68

Eye Colour: Blue
Hair colour: Dark Brown

Distinguishing marks: Taurus tattoo near groin/hip area. Hip piercings. Slightly longer canines from birth to adulthood. Heart tattoo on wrist.

Likes: Swimming, Art, Singing, Men, Kissing in the rain, Romance
Dislikes: Discrimination, Hate, Snobs

Psych profile/personality: Shy, until out if his shell. Sensual if provoked. Protective over friends and family.

History:
Getting a job for the government, after graduating college at the age of 16, based on his knowledge of plantlife he began reasearch on perfecting a method for growing and harvesting plants that needed no pesticides but naturally kept pests away. His adaptability was noticed by the government and they also had him working on medicines and biological warfare using plantlife.  During the two years working he built up enough credibility to be in the "know" of things and heard about the mars colony and volunteered on the ship to put his skills to use.

Dashenka

I'm not the one to judge but....

real shame he's gay  O:)

Also I think the Hand to hand combat is not really needed as it's not a fighting game. Other than that, I think it looks alright.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Montagne

Quote from: RainbowRian on August 13, 2012, 08:31:53 PM
Okay I am semi new at this so any comments or ideas are welcome but bare with me the muses are being blah tonight

player: RainbowRian

Name: Xander Rian Isley
Nationality: United States
Sexuality: Gay

Job: Hydroponics
Specific skills: Hand to Hand Combat, Vast knowledge of herbal medicines and poisons, Fast Learner, Easy to get along with. Vast knowledge of plantlife.

Height: 185.5
Weight: 68

Distinguishing marks: Taurus tattoo near groin/hip area. Hip piercings. Slightly longer canines from birth to adulthood. Heart tattoo on wrist.

Likes: Swimming, Art, Singing, Men, Kissing in the rain, Romance
Dislikes: Discrimination, Hate, Snobs

Psych profile/personality: Shy, until out if his shell. Sensual if provoked. Protective over friends and family.

History:
Getting a job for the government, after graduating college at the age of 16, based on his knowledge of plantlife he began reasearch on perfecting a method for growing and harvesting plants that needed no pesticides but naturally kept pests away. His adaptability was noticed by the government and they also had him working on medicines and biological warfare using plantlife.  During the two years working he built up enough credibility to be in the "know" of things and heard about the mars colony and volunteered on the ship to put his skills to use.

I love him! Character approved unless theres anything extra you wanna add? If not, you're needed over at the science area.

Their's a whole floor for him to turn into a lush tropical rainforest full of useful plants, along with wheat fields. He'll also be working on how to get plants and algae to survive in the freezing martian temperatures, so lots for him to do. Post whenever you're ready.

RainbowRian

Is there a science area thread? Nevermind. found the thread link

Chrystal

Recruitment is now closed. Sorry about this, folks, but we have more players than we can administer between the three GMs.

Character sheets submitted prior to this post will still be processed and approved when they are complete, but no further applications will be considered for the time being.

The second shuttle drop is in 20 hours GAME TIME - so yes, a few weeks away in real time. Or in other words, when the game stagnates....

I apologise to players who were thinking of posting here but never got around to it (or are still awaiting membership approval...). I never expected it to get so big so quickly!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Chrystal

Right...

Having lost a number of players as anticipated, I am re-opening recruitment.

New players have two options: You can choose a pre-made character from the NPCs thread and make it your own, or you can create a new character.

Please post character sheets here for approval.

Please also read the first five posts in the OOC thread before you do anything else, as this gives VITAL technical and background information.

It can be tough joining a game that is already in progress, but the trick to it is to get yourself involved straight away rather than sit back and wait for someone to involve you.

Please note that ic you create a new character, you may NOT post in any of the IC threads until the second shuttle lands. This will be after a time skip in a week or two's time. If you pick up an existing NPC, then you may start posting straight away.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

ElizabethRayne

player: ElizabethRayne

Name: Alessa Woodridge

Nationality: American

Sexuality: Bi-curious

Job: Dentist

Specific skills:PHD in Dentistry, six years of practice at Hillcrest Dental as a DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery)

Height: 157 cm   

Weight: 52kg

Distinguishing marks: Scar on her right knee, Rose tattoo on her inner left thigh.

Likes: A good book, a good laugh, good oral hygiene. She also enjoys painting or sketching when the mood strikes her.   

Dislikes: People that take life to seriously, people that do not brush regularly enough.

Psych profile/personality: Alessa (Otherwise known as Lessa) can come across at times as a bit of an air head she is forgetful at times and a bit of a klutz when it comes to breakable things such as glass, she has a giggle that is quite infectious and a personality to match it. She is a typical Leo (Faults and all) ambitious, courageous, dominant, strong willed, positive, independent, self-confident there is no such a word as doubt in her vocabulary. She is at times self-centered, greedy for flattery, boastful, snobbish and overbearing but thankfully those negative aspects are far and few between.

History: After her divorce Lessa left her job at Hillcrest dental to open her own practice, she applied for the Mars program in an attempt to escape her past hoping to start new and fresh on Mars. .
Lizzy's Playlist

Looking for my On's and Off's?

Current Cravings

”I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.” – Pablo Neruda

shooter6806

player: shooter6806

Name: Nigel Woodridge
Nationality: Born in England, naturalized American
Sexuality: Straight

Job: Nuclear power plant tech/Electrical engineer
Specific skills: BSEE, MIT.  PhD, Nuclear engineering, MIT.  Lead engineer, Mare Imbrium research facility for 5 years.

Height: 175 cm
Weight: 77 kg

Eye Colour: Brown
Hair colour: Brown

Distinguishing marks: none

Likes: Chess, English and American literature, fine whiskey.
Dislikes: People who don’t follow the rules, or who can’t stay with the established plan.  He realizes the need to improvise at times, but believes that those times should be the exception.

Psych profile/personality: Nigel is cynical, and can be very biting in his criticism.  He is not afraid to state his opinion even if it would insult or antagonize others, and he does so in terms that can be both offensive and insulting.  He is, however, extremely loyal and once he has committed himself to something, he will work tirelessly to make it succeed. 

History: After graduating from MIT, Nigel was hired by the US military to act as the supervising engineer of one of their research bases on the moon.  He learned the specifics of life in space and successfully dealt with several technical problems that could have had serious, even fatal results.  He knows that the colony will live or die based on the performance of the power plant.  His one failure was his marriage.  When he heard that his ex-wife was applying for the Mars mission, he pulled strings to get himself assigned.  He still loves her and wants to turn failure into success.

Youth, exuberance, and enthusiasm are no match for age, experience, and treachery.

Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.  Should be a convenience store, not a federal agency.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

RedEve

player: RedEve

Name: Marleen Van Acker
Nationality: Born in Belgium, lived there until she was 14, then moved to London England before settling in New York City after her studies
Sexuality: Straight

Job: Security guard
Specific skills: Marleen initially was a police officer on earth, working as a detective in the robbery division. As such she has both the training and some experience as a law enforcement officer. This includes but is not limited to a profiency with fire-arms, interrogation techniques and general detectiving. Having lived in several countries also makes her proficient in a few languages, amongst them English, French and Dutch.

Height: 1m74
Weight: 58 kg

Eye Colour: grey-blue
Hair colour: blonde

Distinguishing marks: None

Likes: Classic rock music, old war movies, pulp literature, fire-arm training
Dislikes: being lied to, dishonesty in general, talking behind people’s backs, hypocrisy

Psych profile/personality: Marleen is a very driven individual. She never was the most brilliant student at school but she made up for it with hard work and determination. It is this unrelenting drive that also allowed her to get onto the Mars mission. She can appear a bit unfriendly at first, but she is a good friend to those she allows in.

History: She applied for the job of a Martian security guard because she loved the idea of the adventure it entailed. Even though her job as a police detective was hardly a boring one, it was nothing compared to working and living on another planet. So she applied for a position in the military with the sole purpose of eventually moving to Mars as a security guard. She was transfered and accepted from the civilian police forces to the military police, and almost immediately applied for the Martian position. Some of the competition could boast more years of experience, but Marleen’s unrelenting determination and grit that allowed her to be one of the individuals selected for the job.

Other info: Her romantic life has been pretty uneventful so far. She hasn’t had one real love in her life, she engages more in casual sexual encounters, feeling like she has the desire nor the space to allow one special person in her world.

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Montagne

All three characters are approved, RedEve i need to first check we are allowing non-military security. I'll just consult with Chrystal on that. If so there might need to be some minor changes, perhaps she was a detective in the military police.

ALSO HI, I RUN THE RECRUITMENT THREAD. ;D

You can all post in OOC when your ready, except RedEve, please wait for a PM from me.

Chrystal

GM's Prerogative: I'm posting here rather than PM-ing Atlas.

Quote from: Chrystal on August 12, 2012, 01:59:26 AM
1) All security staff are officially still in the military of whatever country they started from, but are on permanent secondment to the Mars Mission. (I have my reasons for this which may or may not become apparent). Therefore he retains his rank of Lieutenant.

And that is why I'm posting not PM-ing. The answer to the question is in a previous post. I knew it was but couldn't expect Atlas to find it.

Basically, no, all security personnel are military, without exception.

Shooter, that was a very nice side-step of the same rule regarding those in charge of sensitive and dangerous parts of the facility. :D

Your character will be subordinate to Dashenka's, is that okay?

shooter6806

That's what I anticipated.  Works perfect for me.
Youth, exuberance, and enthusiasm are no match for age, experience, and treachery.

Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.  Should be a convenience store, not a federal agency.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

SGTDan

“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

Chrystal

Quote from: SGTDan on September 29, 2012, 04:00:27 PM
How realistic are we going here?

How realistic do you want to go?

Have you read the first five posts of the OOC thread that give all the technical and back-ground info?

SGTDan

Ah I see, I was reading them after I posted.

You see I know a lot about NASA tech and procedures.

Anyways seems up to snuff for my tastes.
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Chrystal

Quote from: SGTDan on September 29, 2012, 04:55:56 PM
Ah I see, I was reading them after I posted.

You see I know a lot about NASA tech and procedures.

Anyways seems up to snuff for my tastes.

I'm assuming that you mean what I would mean by that, and that it is a good thing?

Would you care to be my technical advisor? *giggles*

As you can see, I have even gone so far as to redefine a second so that we can keep the 24 hour clock, and if you get to read the command centre thread, you will see that Louise is working on a redesigned calendar!

So far as I am able, I am keeping things realistic. I may throw a spanner in the works in a few (months) when the geology team get going, by having them discover an oil deposit..... Which is not beyond the realms of possibility although it is highly unlikely!

Anyway, if you are still interested, please let myself and/or Atlas have a character sheet.

SGTDan

Am advisor would be a honorable post.

As for the clock thingie, yes that was very ingenious and so far things seem pretty realistic without going overboard and scaring people away.

What characters are currently active? Role wise I mean.
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Chrystal

Please take a look at the player characters thread (linked from the first post), all the inactive characters are struck through and have been copied to the NPC characters thread. The rest are, so far as I am aware, still active. One player is on temporary hiatus, as a relative passed away recently, but I sincerely hope she will return when she feels up to it.

I've found that the level of realism and detail I put in to group games tends to attract a certain type of player who like to work in a detailed environment. This is probably my most detailed yet and it is also the biggest and longest lived!

I was amazed when I realised that I needed to close recruitment the first time. I'm going to limit membership to 25 active players, which (when the second shuttle returns with the final (third) load of colonists) gives us 50 or so NPCs.

SGTDan

Would you allow me to make the Commander of this second shuttle?
I hope you do know there are multiple positions on a shuttle :P

I do agree on the realism but I find that too much can scare people away. I've gotten compliments on my level of relaism, calling it "not fun" or some shit. It pisses me but I find details fun and awesome.

Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

RedEve

Does this mean that my character is rejected altogether, or can I amend her background?

Montagne

Quote from: RedEve on September 30, 2012, 03:50:33 AM
Does this mean that my character is rejected altogether, or can I amend her background?

shes a good character, just needs to be military personnel. So ammend away :). As I said perhaps she joined the military police investigating homicides and such on base at some point? Plenty of possiblilities

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on September 30, 2012, 03:50:33 AM

Make her military and she is fine, or make her not a security guard and she is fine...

We could even do what we did with Dashenka's nuclear engineer, and give her an honorary rank of sergeant or something. Or have her join the army for the sole purpose of getting on the Mars mission as a guard?

I will leave the details to you and Atlas to sort out.

Quote from: SGTDan on September 29, 2012, 06:18:23 PM
Would you allow me to make the Commander of this second shuttle?
I hope you do know there are multiple positions on a shuttle :P

I do agree on the realism but I find that too much can scare people away. I've gotten compliments on my level of relaism, calling it "not fun" or some shit. It pisses me but I find details fun and awesome.

This one requires my attention as the builder of this world!

Dan (if I may call you that?), please remember that we are over 100 years into the future. 100 years ago NASA did not exist, and powered flight was a miracle! Things have moved on considerably.

Each shuttle has 25 passenger seats and a massive cargo hold, plus two seats up front. The term "fly by wire" has a whole new meaning - the pilot's cranial implant p[lugs directly into the ship's on-board computer and the pilot flies the ship by effectively "becoming" the ship, as he/she runs the piloting software in his/her own head.

Something I may not have made clear, however, is that the MCM-1 (the ship currently in orbit above Mars) has only two shuttles and two crew members.

Shuttle 1 was piloted by Jack Monroe and co-piloted by Louise Cotter. This ship will remain on Mars and will serve as their means of getting to the orbital weather satellites and the Deimos Mass Driver.

However, Shuttle 2 will be piloted by the co-pilot of MCM-1 and co-piloted by the pilot of MCM-1, will return to orbit to bring the third load of colonists down and then will return to the mother ship and head back to Earth.

So, you are more than welcome to play that character, but you won't be sticking around for very long....

RedEve

I've edited her CS, tell me if the changes I've made are sufficient or not.

Montagne

Quote from: RedEve on September 30, 2012, 05:08:12 AM
I've edited her CS, tell me if the changes I've made are sufficient or not.

you're good to head over to the OOC now