My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Started by Kunoichi, April 10, 2011, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightRabbit

I was skeptical as well at first, but then I came to really like the show after watching a few episodes. *shrugs* As ulthakptah said, not everyone will like it but I would recommend watching more than one episode before casting a strict judgment on it.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Lux12 on November 09, 2012, 12:11:04 AM
I don't know the name, but it had some sort of dragon like creature in it.

Like Ulth said, that doesn't really tell me much. ^^; Can you tell me anything about the actual plot of the episode?

Lux12

Quote from: Kunoichi on November 09, 2012, 12:56:06 AM
Like Ulth said, that doesn't really tell me much. ^^; Can you tell me anything about the actual plot of the episode?

If I remember correctly it was long and serpentine and was going about disrupting the general balance of the world.

Kunoichi

...Was it red, and was most of the episode about climbing up a mountain to get to it?

Edit: Or was it voiced by the guy who played Q on Star Trek: The Next Generation?  Because if it's the latter, that was probably not a good episode to start watching the show on.

Dhi

I suspect he's talking about the Discord two-parter!

Lux12

Quote from: Kunoichi on November 09, 2012, 01:53:18 AM
...Was it red, and was most of the episode about climbing up a mountain to get to it?

Edit: Or was it voiced by the guy who played Q on Star Trek: The Next Generation?  Because if it's the latter, that was probably not a good episode to start watching the show on.
If we're thinking about the same one then I thought the voice actor sounded a little familiar, though I could not recall exactly who it reminded me of.

Lux12

Yes that is the one I was speaking of.

Kunoichi

Ah.  Yeah, the two-part opener to season two is definitely not a good point to start watching the series on, especially since it was originally intended to be a two-part finale to season one.  You might have better luck if you start watching from the very beginning.

Lux12

I see.However,it didn't seem all that great and it didn't do anything for me.I think a big part of it was the characters. :/

Vanity Evolved

Yeah, first few episodes are a bit slow. But if it doesn't pick up for ya, well, it's just not for you. Tried introducing a friend or two to it earlier this week, and it didn't work out. Did get 'em onto Adventure Time, however!

Kunoichi

Quote from: Lux12 on November 09, 2012, 05:35:43 PM
I see.However,it didn't seem all that great and it didn't do anything for me.I think a big part of it was the characters. :/

Aww, that's too bad.  The characters are one of the better parts of the show, at least in my opinion.  What was your big problem with them?

Lux12

Quote from: Kunoichi on November 09, 2012, 07:09:57 PM
Aww, that's too bad.  The characters are one of the better parts of the show, at least in my opinion.  What was your big problem with them?

Well I hate the fashion obsessed sort of personality in general and hate the industry itself with a passion, but that is something for another thread.  I'm annoyed by the ultra sunny, goof ball types. Also I'm not fond of extremely timid women in general. It smecks of the aims of a patriarchal society that infantilizes the female sex. Then there's the one who acts like a redneck

ReijiTabibito

So, basically, you can't stand two-thirds of the main cast.

Oniya

At that point, I'd probably say that further exposure isn't likely to help.  ::)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lux12

ulthakptah

Quote from: Lux12 on November 09, 2012, 07:49:37 PM
Well I hate the fashion obsessed sort of personality in general and hate the industry itself with a passion, but that is something for another thread.  I'm annoyed by the ultra sunny, goof ball types. Also I'm not fond of extremely timid women in general. It smecks of the aims of a patriarchal society that infantilizes the female sex. Then there's the one who acts like a redneck
Applejack a redneck? I guess she is a poor farmer working hard to keep her family apple orchard afloat. Rarity is obsessed with fashion, but that's her business as she is a dress maker. Fluttershy is very timid, however that never stopped her from saving her friends from manticores, dragons, and cockatrices. As for Pinkiepie, well growing up on a rock farm with no friends it's no wonder she values laugher and friendship as much as she does.

The characters in the show have more depth than that, and shouldn't be labeled and dismissed before you get to know them. Much like people in the real life. I don't expect to change your opinion though. Your mind seems to be already made up. I only worry it was made up before you even watched the show. After all you weren't able to remember the antagonist's name despite it being repetitively said and a word that described what he was doing.

The opposite problem of expectations of the show being too high would be people going in knowing they will hate it, and end up succeeding. That because they are a dark and brooding heavy metal punk rockers that there is no way they could like a show about happy pastel colored ponies. Personally I dislike self-fulfilling prophecies. That's why whenever I get a fortune cookie, all I do is add "in bed" to the end.

Now here's a picture of Fluttershy suplexing a bear.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Autumn Sativus

Totally psyched for a new episode today! ;D
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Lady Grey

New pony episode in thirty minutes!

-happy dance-

Kunoichi

Finally managed to catch it on livestream. ;D

So, looks like the season opens with an epic two-parter...

GiftsUngiven

I am extremely underwhelmed by the season 3 premier. Terrible villain, too much cadence, and songs were disappointing.

3/10, which makes me sad, I had high expectations.
Apologies and Absences

On indefinite hiatus.

Kunoichi

Really?  I thought the episode was quite good, myself, though I will admit that I'm a bit disappointed in the main villain as well.  After Discord and Queen Chrysalis, King Sombra comes across as having surprisingly little presence.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: ulthakptah on November 10, 2012, 01:46:11 AM
The opposite problem of expectations of the show being too high would be people going in knowing they will hate it, and end up succeeding. That because they are a dark and brooding heavy metal punk rockers that there is no way they could like a show about happy pastel colored ponies. Personally I dislike self-fulfilling prophecies. That's why whenever I get a fortune cookie, all I do is add "in bed" to the end.

Now here's a picture of Fluttershy suplexing a bear.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Not all heavy metal punk rockers are dark and brooding.... Then again I might be the only exception anymore... I did however love the pic though I think it was more of a dropkick followed by a half Boston Crab....

Arohk

I though it was a great 2-parter myself. Only things that I didn't like were the first song, and the fact that the villain was very... Bland. He had a lot of potential as most people have already had, and it was completely squandered. Other than that, I am excited to see how the season plays out. :)