News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Supers in Distress

Started by Hikari, May 02, 2008, 09:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefepato

Questions first:

Are you only looking for heroic characters as PCs?

Also, what's the deal with the X'Haal?  Can they be PCs?

Chris Brady

Seven and Lotus seem the best so far, Hikari-san.

'Lesbian Stripper Ninja'?  You know I never really understood where that term came from?
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Hikari

Shadowrun, mainly.  The meme relates to 'male player/female character' syndrome, where the inclination is apparently very strong to create a female character who is extremely skilled, intelligent, excellent (and entertaining to watch) in combat...  and also extremely promiscuous, and of course a lesbian (so they don't have to worry about romantic subplots with male (N)PCs).  Basically, it's a Harry Sue.  There are analogues in most games, and even in fiction--a lot of people would probably accuse Red Sonja and Alice from the Resident Evil movies of fitting the type, for example--but it's primarily in cyberpunk where you see the literal example.

I could see playing an actual Lesbian Stripper Ninja just to take the piss out of it, though.  Well, Bisexual Stripper Ninja, anyway.   :P
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

WyzardWhately

I like Black Lotus probably the best. 

Although I do dig on Invincibelle a little, just because she reminds me of The Engineer.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Jefepato

On second thought...I don't think this game is going to be a good fit for me (not to mention I should really be studying for finals instead of joining new games).

Chris Brady

Alright, Jef.

OK, the entrance is now closed.  My players are Valerian, Hikari and WyzardWhately.

Post your characters here to begin with, and they are up to PL 10.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

WyzardWhately

To start with, this character is kind of a wuss.  The powers I want him to have are expensive and don't add directly to combat ability, so he's going to have a tough time of straight-up fights against a combat-optimized opponent of the same PL - that is, anything like most of the example characters in the book.  However, he should be okay against people like the Joker or the Kingpin, etc.  Just so it's clear, I actually made a pretty street-level character, despite the fact that he can walk through walls and creepy shit like that.

The Ghost
Jason Prince
PL 10
PP: 150
Banked: 0
HP: 4

STR 10 (affects corporeal)
DEX 18 +4
CON 18 +4
INT 14 +2
WIS 10
CHA 14 +2

Combat
Attack: +5 (+10 melee)
Defense: 15 (+5 Dodge for 20)
Damage: +0 (+3 w/ sword)
Toughness: +4 (+7 w/ armor)
Fort: +4
Rflx: +4
Will: +3
Initiative: +12

Skills:
Acrobatics +12
Computers +4
Craft Electronic +8
Intimidate +12
Investigate +4
Knowledge Physical Sciences +4
Knowledge Technology +8
Knowledge Streetwise +4
Notice +8
Search +8
Stealth +12

Feats:
All-Out Attack
Attack Focus Melee x 5
Dodge Focus 5
Improved Initiative x2
Luck x 3
Benefit: Urban Legend
Endurance
Fearless
Inventor
Acrobatic Bluff
Attractive
Distract (intimidate)
Hide In Plain Sight
Power Attack
Sneak Attack
Redirect
Skill Mastery: Acrobatics, Intimidate, Stealth, Disable Device
Equipment 3

Powers:
Insubstantial 4: Vulnerable to Light effects (lasers, light-based flashes, etc.)
Regeneration: Persistent, Regrowth
•   Injured: 20 minutes
•   Staggered: 20 Minutes
•   Disabled: 1 Hour
Danger Sense (mental)
Speed 2
Leaping 2
Wall-Crawling

Equipment & Devices:
Mask (Rank 2 Device, hard to lose)
•   Voice Changer 1 pt Auditory Illusion.
•   Darkvision 2 pts
•   Time Sense 1pt
•   Radio 1 pt
•   Infravision 1 pt
•   Visual Tracking, Full-speed, 2 pts.
•   Zoom (1 point extended vision, 100ft increment)
•   Micro-enhancement, 1pt Microscopic vision (dust-sized objects)
Sword +3
Armored Jumpsuit +3
Secret Lair:  Hidden section of abandoned factory: Toughness 10, Size Medium, Concealed, Power System, Workshop, Laboratory, Living Space, Gym: 8pts

Drawbacks & Complications:
Secret Identity

Jason was a senior in the science department of a local university when he had an accident with a new particle accelerator attempting to detect gravitons.  He was flooded with a fair amount of electromagnetic energy and weird radiation, most of which shouldn't have had any lasting effect on the human body.  He seemed fine within a few hours, so they let him go home early.  Like a lot of science geeks, Jason had been bullied a lot.  He lived in a crappy part of town, a local gang of skinheads liked to push people around, and he'd been mugged a couple times.  He was one of those people generally born to be a victim.  Something happened to him in the accident, and only a small part of his mind realized it.  That's why he suddenly started sleeping much, even though the doctors at the campus clinic couldn't find anything wrong with him.  He was getting up at night, making a costume, keeping it hidden.  He had been going out at night as a powered, costumed vigilante for about two months before he cracked and found the fissure in his own mind.

These days his personality is mostly reintegrated, but they still have the occasional difference of opinion.  Mostly, though, they let Jason handle the thinking and The Ghost handles the violence.  It's a good setup.  Ever since he started stealing money from drug dealers, his life has been ten times better. 
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0

Hikari

Preliminary write-up:

Tsubame Kusanagi was born and raised in the mountains near Kyoto into the dying tradition of hereditary ninjutsu, taken in as a member of the Mugen Kaminari (Infinite Thunders) Clan.  The majority of 'traditional' ninja died out during the Second World War, and even more vanished into the alien invasion that followed close on the heels of it, leaving the scattered remnants of two minds: those who believe it best to remain hidden from an increasingly dangerous world while studiously observing the old ways, and those who chose to seek safety in the criminal underworld of the Yakuza while trying to learn as much as possible about the brave new world brought on by the invasion.

The Mugen Kaminari are of the latter breed.  They have long pledged their services to Shotozumi-rengo of the Chiba-gumi, a group of hardline traditionalists among the Yakuza who still believe in the idealism of the syndicate's days in the Meishinshishi revolution, when they protected towns from bandits and enforced the law in a country gone awry.  During the alien invasions, Shotozumi revitalized a segment of the Yakuza, transforming it into an underground resistant to fight guerrilla warfare against alien occupation; even in the decades intervening, he has not forgotten the glory and purpose of those days, even as his view has grown increasingly unpopular in a clan run more and more by young, self-centered yakuza who were born too late to know those days.  The Mugen are his secret weapon against his own: criminals especially trained to destroy other criminals, to excise the most corrupt and baleful elements in the syndicate.

Tsubame, like many of the clan's prodigious 'legacy' students (those born to parents who were both full Mugen, as opposed to the increasing number who are recruited from the ranks of Shotozumi's men), has trained rigorously since birth and been given biochemical and genetic enhancements gleaned from reverse-engineered alien technology to bring her very close to the maximum of human capability.  Like most of the elite jounin of the clan, can run and jump as well as an Olympic-level athlete, heft as much as a champion power-lifter, and out-fight a title-holding boxer; though her enhancements won't reach maximum capacity for a few more years (they have to 'grow' due to their biological nature), she's already scraping the limits of human capability.

Like many of the clan's beautiful kunoichi, Tsubame has been uniquely trained to use her feminine wiles to get into situations where she can better investigate major Yakuza figures for signs of corruption and, if necessary, dispatch them while harming as few of their men as possible.  It was this particular skillset that lead to her going incognito as a young runaway, purposefully being captured by the human slave-trading operation of a gumi that Shotozumi had long suspected of performing the forbidden (within the Yakuza of his dreams, anyway) practice.  During her investigation of the trade and related prostitution rings, Tsubame ended up in America, where ultimately she found herself crossing swords not only with her Yakuza brethren, but also with the local Mafia.

Having discovered so much corruption--with so much of it seeming to cross the ocean to Japan if left unchecked--Tsubame made the decision to stay in the American city and pursue the rampant, seemingly out-of-control organized crime there rather than returning home.  Her methods are very similar to those she used in her homeland: she pursues employment in places the local criminals are known to frequent, like strip clubs and dens of iniquity, and gathers information on a target until she sees an opportunity to put him or her down, either by stealth or guile.

Though she identified herself as Shunrai (Spring Thunder) in the missives left to her targets to be, most never even bothered to have them translated, and instead named her for the origami blossoms the notes were transcribed upon: Black Lotus.  The name was popularized by detectives investigating her assassinations who spoke to local media, who in turn dubbed the string of killings the 'Black Lotus Murders'.  Given her list of victims, the people of the city were more prone to regard her as a vigilante hero than a serial killer, and so 'Black Lotus' took on a completely different definition in their lexicon: the costumed identity of the mysterious ninja prowling the city's night.

Tsubame has a reputation for absolute ruthlessness which is caused, more than anything else, by her inability to communicate with most of those she deals with.  Mafiosi tell horror stories of the black-clad shadow stalking them tirelessly through the night, cutting down their men in grim-faced silence no matter what sort of deals they offer or threats they shout...  these stories are objectively true, but more because she's uncomfortable speaking English than out of a desire to avoid witty banter.  Similarly, her 'signature'--a deathnote folded into a black origami lotus--is intended as a warning to her target's employees and associates to distance themselves from him so they don't get hurt, but due to poor translation has thus far been misconstrued as a symbol of menace and even psychotic glee.

Rough Draft Character Sheet
Ability Scores:
Strength 20 (10 PP)
Dexterity 24 (14 PP)
Constitution 18 (8 PP)
Intelligence 16 (6 PP)
Wisdom 14 (4 PP)
Charisma 20 (10 PP)
(52 PP Spent)

Attack +5 (10 PP)
Defense +5 (10 PP)
Toughness +0 (0 PP)
Reflex Save +8 (8 PP)
Fortitude Save +4 (4 PP)
Will Save +4 (4 PP)
(88 PP Spent)

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 Ranks (2 PP)
Bluff 4 Ranks (1 PP)
Climb 4 Ranks (1 PP)
Disguise 4 Ranks (1 PP)
Escape Artist 4 Ranks (1 PP)
Gather Informaion 4 Ranks (1 PP)
Intimidate 8 Ranks (2 PP)
Investigate 8 Ranks (2 PP)
Notice 8 Ranks (2 PP)
Perform (Dance) 4 Ranks (1 PP)
Search 4 Ranks (1 PP)
Sense Motive 8 Ranks (2 PP)
Sleight of Hand 4 Ranks (1 PP)
Stealth 12 Ranks (3 PP)
(109 PP Spent)

Feats:
Assessment (1 PP)
Attack Focus (Melee) Rank 5 (5 PP)
Attractive Rank 2 (2 PP)
Blind Fight (1 PP)
Distract (1 PP)
Dodge Focus Rank 5 (5 PP)
Elusive Target (1 PP)
Equipment Rank 3 (3 PP)
Evasion Rank 2 (2 PP)
Fascinate (Perform) (1 PP)
Grappling Finesse (1 PP)
Hide in Plain Sight (1 PP)
Instant Up (1 PP)
Master Plan (1 PP)
Quick Change Rank 2 (2 PP)
Redirect (1 PP)
Sneak Attack Rank 1 (1 PP)
Takedown Attack Rank 2 (2 PP)
Trance (1 PP)
Uncanny Dodge (Hearing) (1 PP)
Well-Informed (1 PP)
(144 PP Spent)

Powers:
Leaping Rank 1 (1 PP)
Speed Rank 1 (1 PP)
Super-Movement 2 Ranks (Slow Fall, Trackless) 4 (4 PP)
(150 PP Spent)

Equipment:
Sword (5 EP)
Smoke Grenades (4 EP)
Shuriken (3 EP)
Armored Jumpsuit (3 EP)
(15 EP Spent)

That is an almost literal Lesbian Stripper Ninja.  Though, I'm thinking maybe I should make her a more 'figurative' one and have her use guns and lots of cheesy action-movie one-liners instead?
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Chris Brady

She's um...  WOW!  Pretty buff.

Hikari

I'm not hugely experienced with M&M, so if things need to be pushed around, that's okay.  I'm also open on concept; I could do more of a Device-based Powered character (with Invisibility and such) instead of a feat-machine, if that would be more appropriate.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

WyzardWhately

I was all like, hey, look, she took Perform: Dance.  I wonder if she took fascinate, too.  Yes, yes she did.  Well, at least our PCs have the elements of getting along.  They're both creepy-stealthy, they're both willing to use lethal force.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Hikari on May 03, 2008, 11:39:05 AM
I'm not hugely experienced with M&M, so if things need to be pushed around, that's okay.  I'm also open on concept; I could do more of a Device-based Powered character (with Invisibility and such) instead of a feat-machine, if that would be more appropriate.

Well, in her physicals, she's pretty much hit the top end physical human peak.  She's also genius level intelligence and the smoothest charmer in existence.

She really IS a Lesbian Stripper Ninja!

WyzardWhately

Oh, yeah, and your toughness save isn't zero, it's the sum of your CON bonus and your armor.

EDIT:  Actually, you've spent a whole lot of PP you don't have to.  Your Fort save starts out at your Con bonus, just like toughness does.  Your reflex save starts out at your dex bonus, and your will save starts out at your wisdom bonus.

So, I'm sure you've got some other stuff you'd like to spend those points on.

Hikari

The only things listed are things points are actually spent on.  Total bonuses (for saves, skill checks, etc.) aren't included.  Are those parameters going to be too high when you add the ability score modifier to the purchased bonus?  Also, should she have a higher Toughness Save?  I figure high Dodge-based Defense and low Toughness is the best way to emulate a ninja, but if it's going to cause problems in encounter balancing I can shuffle things there.

But, yeah.  The basic idea is a relatively 'tricky' fighting style, using lots of widgets like Bluff, Intimidate, and linked Feats like Distract, Elusive Target, etc.  I'm picturing a 'Batgirl' kind of fighting style where one thug runs up behind her and she Judo-throws him into the one she's fighting, or one pins her arms by grabbing her from behind but she still manages to get her feet up and stomp-kick the other in the chest as he approaches her.  I tried to throw in some Batman-type additions like Assessment, Hide in Plain Sight, and Master Plan since she's supposed to be a mainliner and not a strict sidekick, though.

I'm not sure if I went too light on the investigative aspect.  I figure a good skill spread, solid Intelligence and Charisma, and a few related feats like Well-Informed and Quick Change will cover it, but I've never played a 'detective comics' sort.  I don't know if she'd be good enough to be a dedicated sleuth, but I figure she can handle digging for information at strip clubs and smoozing her way into high-society parties to get close to her target, at least.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

WyzardWhately

*smacks forehead*

Oh, I get it now.  Your reflex save is really high, but it doesn't break the cap.  So, that's cool.

I think you'll be fine.  Your bonuses to investigate are generally in-line with the archetypes in the book.  Seriously, though, my character is kind of a wuss, as well.  So, fine, we're not Batman-level detectives, but who is?  We're probably more down there with Daredevil, Rorscharch, and The Question.  Which is good company, in my book.

If it's not clear, my character relies on ambushes, hit and run tactics, and striking when people are most vulnerable.  Dude walks through walls.  He's going to come out of the wall behind the bad guy while they're on the toilet in a public restroom.  Or show up in their bedroom at night, with power tools.  Or they'll be thinking they got away, that he's disappeared, and the guys in the ER will patch you right up.  When suddenly that creepy skull mask turns around to grin at you from the driver's seat.

*sigh*  I really, really wish I'd had the spare points to buy Fearsome Presence.  I may revise his sheet before we start.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Hikari on May 03, 2008, 12:25:42 PM
The only things listed are things points are actually spent on.  Total bonuses (for saves, skill checks, etc.) aren't included.  Are those parameters going to be too high when you add the ability score modifier to the purchased bonus?  Also, should she have a higher Toughness Save?  I figure high Dodge-based Defense and low Toughness is the best way to emulate a ninja, but if it's going to cause problems in encounter balancing I can shuffle things there.

But, yeah.  The basic idea is a relatively 'tricky' fighting style, using lots of widgets like Bluff, Intimidate, and linked Feats like Distract, Elusive Target, etc.  I'm picturing a 'Batgirl' kind of fighting style where one thug runs up behind her and she Judo-throws him into the one she's fighting, or one pins her arms by grabbing her from behind but she still manages to get her feet up and stomp-kick the other in the chest as he approaches her.  I tried to throw in some Batman-type additions like Assessment, Hide in Plain Sight, and Master Plan since she's supposed to be a mainliner and not a strict sidekick, though.

I'm not sure if I went too light on the investigative aspect.  I figure a good skill spread, solid Intelligence and Charisma, and a few related feats like Well-Informed and Quick Change will cover it, but I've never played a 'detective comics' sort.  I don't know if she'd be good enough to be a dedicated sleuth, but I figure she can handle digging for information at strip clubs and smoozing her way into high-society parties to get close to her target, at least.

Honestly, Hikari, I'm thinking your physical stats are a touch high.  I'm not all that upset on the Dex, mind you, but for an infiltration expert, you don't need to be a body builder.  14s in Strength and/or Con will do you fine.

Also, you may want to look into the Powers for disguise/Kunoichi options.  As in she specializes in hiding her appearance.

Spider

Hmmm and spots open? and is it MnM2E?

I might be interested in playing a gadeteer.

Hikari

Alright, I'm shuffling things around a bit.  I'm looking at 16 Strength/Constitution, and shuffling points over into an alien Device that grants Morph (2-point version, Limited [Females Only]) and such.  I'm redoing the Feat list while I'm at it, and it raises a question.

Does Quick Change have any use with Morph?  Morph is a Free Action already, and it covers the act of disguising, doesn't it?  Or is Morph body-appearance only, and Quick Change is still necessary if you want to change clothes?
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

WyzardWhately

Here's an option - Morph could let you imitate clothes, but you'd "really" be naked.  Such as if you were knocked unconscious, for example. 

Hikari

You want me to run around essentially naked all the time?  Wouldn't that be ripping off Psylocke a little too much?
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Hikari on May 04, 2008, 02:48:31 AM
You want me to run around essentially naked all the time?  Wouldn't that be ripping off Psylocke a little too much?

Well, what I want doesn't come into it, really.  I just thought the possibility might interest you.  Also:  Did psylocke do that?  I thought that was Mystique's thing.

Hikari

I was just kidding.  Making fun of the whole 'Lesbian Stripper Ninja who's never wearing more than a swimsuit' deal.  Psylocke's one of the Patron Saints of LSNs.

Though, I've got preferential feelings toward Christie from Dead or Alive and the assorted female cast of Devil May Cry.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Chris Brady

Can I make a request?

I'm assuming you guys are going with the 'Batman' style of 'team' (Which they weren't really.)

Could you all settle with a theme that runs through all of your characters?

Like for the Bats, it's always a dark, avian style of character (Nightwing, Batwoman, Batgirl, although Robin is a bit off.)

The Ghost seems to be a good hinge to focus on.  And for the record, you guys were allies of the Knightwatchman before he croaked, not 'sidekicks' as the Bat crew tended to be.

Hikari

Any suggestions?  I'm kind of at a loss for ghost-related stuff.

Also, does the character seem okay in general?  If the Lesbian Stripper Ninja thing is too on-the-nose, I can try something a little less overt.  I was thinking an Action Gunbunny type might work?
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

WyzardWhately

Could any kind of Bride With White Hair/Chinese Ghost Story stuff help out?  I don't know.  I'll come up with something more useful later.  Maybe The Ghost also practices martial arts?  Or did you mean a common element more in motif than in tactics?

Incidentally, some of the guys over at RPG.net helped me with some of the problems I was having making this character.  I have a final later today, but I'm probably going to revise his character sheet tonight.