Jaeger Rising - A Pacific Rim interest check

Started by Primarch, July 24, 2013, 12:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

I'd be quite interested in starting a Pacific Rim RP set as the Jaeger program was building momentum and coming to the peak of its success, with players being paired up to represent Rangers from around the world (or other members of the team). It may also be desirable for players to take up Kaiju from time to time if they have an idea for something fun. Take turns giving each other threats so we can have that giant robot vs giant monster action.

So yes, this is an interest check for a Pacific Rim RP. If people would be interested I'd be very happy to know. Questions/comments & suggestion are welcome.

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Nationality:[/b]
[b]Rank:[/b] Position within PPDC

[b]Appearance:[/b]
[center][img]real-person-faceclaim-please[/img][/center]

[b]Positive personality traits:[/b] 3
[b]Negative personality traits:[/b] 3 (legitimate negative traits please)

[b]Pre-PPDC experience:[/b] Any relevant skills or careers from before becoming a member of the Pan Pacific Defense Corps
[b]Other skills:[/b]
[b]General Backstory:[/b]

Ranger Teams
Ember Star - Character incoming.
Revenent - Character incoming.

evangel - Character incoming.
Darkcide - Character incoming.

Primarch - Character incoming.
TheGlyphstone - Character incoming.

Yugishogun - Character incoming.
PaladinZenaku - Character incoming.

Shatterdome location
Tokyo

Darkcide

I'd be interested.

Out of curiosity, is there an approximate year you'd like to use as a setting? Just because that would determine the Jaeger Marks in play. Since it is sounding like you'd want to start with fairly early, like before the start of the film, would category III Kaiju's have been encountered yet or no?

evangel

YES. I'M SO IN. SO BLOODY IN. Do you have a set storyline in mind? We could do jumps. Like starting at the Jaeger program's peak and then to the era between Cat III/Cat IV where we start dying by the dozens.

Yukina

I'm definitely in. The movie was pretty good.

Doomglazer

Primarch

Quote from: Darkcide on July 24, 2013, 01:36:51 PM
Out of curiosity, is there an approximate year you'd like to use as a setting? Just because that would determine the Jaeger Marks in play. Since it is sounding like you'd want to start with fairly early, like before the start of the film, would category III Kaiju's have been encountered yet or no?

Well 2019 is the height of the program and I'd like for us to work into that so I was thinking 2018. So Mark 3 Jaeger's are around but I believe the category 3 Kaiju's have yet to emerge. May be wrong on that.

Quote from: evangel on July 24, 2013, 03:20:00 PM
YES. I'M SO IN. SO BLOODY IN. Do you have a set storyline in mind? We could do jumps. Like starting at the Jaeger program's peak and then to the era between Cat III/Cat IV where we start dying by the dozens.

Right now I don't have a strict storyline beyond starting from the year 2018 and proceeding from there.

TheGlyphstone

Darkcide

The Mark IV's were launched in 2018, later in the year I think. And you are correct, the category threes did not emerge until 2020.

Primarch

Alright I need to vanish now but if people want to continue expressing interest I can know who we have tomorrow, ideally we'll have an even number for rangers. If you want to play someone involved in the Jaeger program that's not a ranger, please make it known.

I'll also answer any questions that arise when I return tomorrow.

Quote from: Darkcide on July 24, 2013, 06:20:24 PM
The Mark IV's were launched in 2018, later in the year I think. And you are correct, the category threes did not emerge until 2020.
Very good.

TheGlyphstone

Revenent

Don't have time to read much, since I'm going off break soon, but count me in. This movie was awesome.

PaladinZenaku

Question
In the movie two people are used to control the jaeger. Are you going to have two players control one jaeger? For exsample I control the left side and you control the right. That would make it interesting but there might be some awkward moments were one side is walking one way and the other wants to go the other way.
"Underneath the silvery moon,
Your path can still turn foul.
You'll know you've made a wretched move,
When werewolves start to howl."
~Shadowfang~
Alpha Male of Southern US Pack

TheGlyphstone

Presumably the two players, since they agreed to form a character team before the game start, could work something out in terms of taking turns narrating moves.

Ember Star

Interested and bookmarked. Loved that movie.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Primarch

Quote from: PaladinZenaku on July 24, 2013, 08:50:48 PM
In the movie two people are used to control the jaeger. Are you going to have two players control one jaeger? For exsample I control the left side and you control the right. That would make it interesting but there might be some awkward moments were one side is walking one way and the other wants to go the other way.
Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 24, 2013, 09:26:11 PM
Presumably the two players, since they agreed to form a character team before the game start, could work something out in terms of taking turns narrating moves.

Pretty much as Glyph said. Either the players can work out ahead of time what they want to do or take turns controlling the Jaeger. So in a thread with the team fighting one of the kaiju would look like either
A) Player 1, Kaiju, Player 2, Kaiju, Player 1 <repeat>
or
B) Player 1 (Jaeger), Player 2, Kaiju, Player 1, Player 2 (Jaeger), Kaiju <repeat>

So far we have:
Primarch
Darkcide
evangel
Yugishogun
TheGlyphstone
Revenent
Ember Star
PaladinZenaku

Would people rather form pairs themselves? If not I can randomly assign. Once pairs are assigned they can come up with a Jaeger and choose which country they operate from. 

Yukina

I don't have any opinion about the pairing system, though I like method A compared to B.

TheGlyphstone

I favor method A myself, since it'll keep the fights paced faster, and avoid repetitiveness (not-in-control pure reaction posts are going to be rather boring).

Yukina

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 25, 2013, 11:07:18 AM
I favor method A myself, since it'll keep the fights paced faster, and avoid repetitiveness (not-in-control pure reaction posts are going to be rather boring).

Exactly what I was thinking.

Revenent

I feel the need to bring up the elephant in the room here: people drop out and disappear in every group RP. This could be a real problem when it comes to Rangers.

Ember Star

Quote from: Revenent on July 25, 2013, 11:21:28 AM
I feel the need to bring up the elephant in the room here: people drop out and disappear in every group RP. This could be a real problem when it comes to Rangers.
My concern exactly.

However as far as picking partners or randomly put together. I far prefer picking.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Yukina

I do suggest before we pick partners that we at least state our characters' gender and orientation.

Primarch

In the event someone drops out in a thread we can organise for someone to NPC with them until the thread is resolved (or kill the person off forcing a single person escape!) and afterwards try organise a new partner. If one drops out its possible a second will, then we can pair them up while also continuing recruitment.

Quote from: Yugishogun on July 25, 2013, 11:43:47 AM
I do suggest before we pick partners that we at least state our characters' gender and orientation.
You can certainly state a few characteristics. I'll get a CS up today.

Ember Star

I'll be playing a female and can play bi, straight, or lesbian. 

I could play a gay or straight male, I just usually don't on E because of the possibility of sexual content and my inexperienced playing males beyond flirting and kissing.

Rev, you wanna partner with me since we know each other?

evangel

Sounds good to me. We can always have the Kaiju poke into the Jaeger's head and have a mid-fight snack if someone doesn't post after a week or something. Also unfortunately I'm not familiar with almost anyone here except Revenent, so I'm willing to be placed randomly with anyone.

Yukina

I plan to play a lesbian female character.

Ember Star

Quote from: evangel on July 25, 2013, 11:57:15 AM
Sounds good to me. We can always have the Kaiju poke into the Jaeger's head and have a mid-fight snack if someone doesn't post after a week or something.
I'd give them longer than a week and actually pm them before killing their character off. Character kill off should only be used in extreme cases, in my opinion. NPCing their character for at least a couple of weeks first is always best.

evangel

Better ideas than mine. Please excuse my brashness, I'm a bit too willing to have us all die heroic deaths.  ;)

On a side note, I may be thinking too far ahead but when using our Jaegers, will we be able to use the already established names like Chrome Brutus/Solar Prophet and attach them to unrelated machines?

TheGlyphstone

And a side benefit of the Player 1- Kaiju-Player 2-Kaiju rotation, as opposed to the Player 1-Player 2-Kaiju-Player 1-Player 2-Kaiju rotation is that if Player 2 suddenly stops posting, Player 1 can just take all the Jaeger actions, and if they're not back by the time the fight is over/the next fight is started, they can be dropped and replaced.

evangel

Yeah. The remaining player can decide if he or she will shoulder the neural load alone or NPC the actions of the other half. Keeps it interesting either way.

Revenent

Quote from: Ember Star on July 25, 2013, 11:52:51 AM
I'll be playing a female and can play bi, straight, or lesbian. 

I could play a gay or straight male, I just usually don't on E because of the possibility of sexual content and my inexperienced playing males beyond flirting and kissing.

Rev, you wanna partner with me since we know each other?

Works for me.

I'm willing to play either gender of any orientation, so I'd be willing to just wait and see what other people do first. And I'm agreeable with the ideas stated so far about people who disappear, though if we do go for an in-fight death at any point, remember, only two Rangers were ever able to control a Jaeger solo. :P

Ember Star

Quote from: Revenent on July 25, 2013, 12:15:55 PM
Works for me.

I'm willing to play either gender of any orientation, so I'd be willing to just wait and see what other people do first. And I'm agreeable with the ideas stated so far about people who disappear, though if we do go for an in-fight death at any point, remember, only two Rangers were ever able to control a Jaeger solo. :P
*nods* I was thinking about that too, and one of them was left with problems because of it.

What country did you wanna be from?

evangel

Nuts. I forgot about the only two rangers ever thing. Also, this may be handy for you guys.

http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Shatterdome List of Shatterdomes and their brief descriptions. I don't know how close to canon we want to stick, but this has the locations and jurisdictions. ... On that note, I wonder if we should all be based on the same base? We do have eight people, and if we're all Rangers then that's four Jaegers. I think we could stretch it for one base to hold all of us, to let people interact with each other regularly.

Primarch

Quote from: evangel on July 25, 2013, 12:04:12 PM
On a side note, I may be thinking too far ahead but when using our Jaegers, will we be able to use the already established names like Chrome Brutus/Solar Prophet and attach them to unrelated machines?

No.

Quote from: evangel on July 25, 2013, 12:28:39 PM
http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Shatterdome List of Shatterdomes and their brief descriptions. I don't know how close to canon we want to stick, but this has the locations and jurisdictions. ... On that note, I wonder if we should all be based on the same base? We do have eight people, and if we're all Rangers then that's four Jaegers. I think we could stretch it for one base to hold all of us, to let people interact with each other regularly.

Good idea. I rather like being based in Australia. Opinions?

On another note, CS is in OP. Also people might enjoy:
http://apps.warnerbros.com/pacificrim/designer/us/
You can use the above to design Jaegers! Its a touch basic, but you know.

TheGlyphstone

I'd vote for Los Angeles, mainly cause MURICA. :-) I'm not ardent about it though, the only Shatterdome I don't think I'd enjoy would be Anchorage. Too cold.

Worth noting that Hong Kong, Anchorage, Vladivostok, and Sydney each hosted at least one canon Jaeger from the movie, so if we want to really tell our own story without the 'hero' Jaegers looming over us, going somewhere else could be to benefit.

Yukina

Revenent

I'm fine with any country, Ember.

And I'm leaning toward LA or Tokyo if we don't want the main four to interfere.

Primarch

I can't recall the last time I did an RP in Tokyo. I'll amend my vote to Australia as my prime, second Tokyo.

On another note, randomised Ranger pairings incoming.

evangel

Not Anchorage or Vladivostok for the same reasons as Glyphstone - too cold! I don't think there will be much fun things to do outside the base either. If we do go to Australia, I don't think we'll have to worry about Striker Eureka's achievements running around ours as it was deployed November 2019, and our story begins in 2018. Plus, we don't have to be from Australia ourselves and it could be fun being tourists having to protect the Sydney Opera House.

I vote for Australia or Tokyo!

Primarch

Teams are up in the OP, if people want to switch or organise something different just let me know.
Votes for Shatterdome location also in. 

Ember Star

Sydney would be fun and different, but I'm kinda leaning towards Tokyo because I like Japan and the whole "cannon interference" thing. Either way, I'm leaning towards an Asian character. Although I've never played Asian outside of anime settings o.o

Primarch

Quote from: Ember Star on July 25, 2013, 01:25:42 PM
Sydney would be fun and different, but I'm kinda leaning towards Tokyo because I like Japan and the whole "cannon interference" thing. Either way, I'm leaning towards an Asian character. Although I've never played Asian outside of anime settings o.o

I'll put down a vote for both locations, as two votes appears to be how it unfolded. Tokyo is currently in the lead, with Australia & America tying in second.

Yukina

Quote from: Primarch on July 25, 2013, 01:23:53 PM
Teams are up in the OP, if people want to switch or organise something different just let me know.
Votes for Shatterdome location also in.

I might want to be on a different team then PalidanZenaku's. He only seemed to ask one question in the thread and hasn't had another post in it. In other words, it makes me question if he's actually showing interest to join.

Primarch

Quote from: Yugishogun on July 25, 2013, 01:38:48 PM
I might want to be on a different team then PalidanZenaku's. He only seemed to ask one question in the thread and hasn't had another post in it. In other words, it makes me question if he's actually showing interest to join.

Fair point. We'll give it a little time to see if he confirms one way or another, we'll continue recruitment regardless and if he doesn't get involved we'll put the next person to join on your team to replace Palidan.

Yukina

Quote from: Primarch on July 25, 2013, 01:41:27 PM
Fair point. We'll give it a little time to see if he confirms one way or another, we'll continue recruitment regardless and if he doesn't get involved we'll put the next person to join on your team to replace Palidan.

*nods* Thank you for understanding.

TheGlyphstone

Well, at least I have a good guarantee my partner won't vanish...or if they do, it means the whole thing is over anyways. :D

EDIT: Oh, and to obliquely try and make a case for LA, Onibaba did wreck the crap out of Tokyo in 2016, a few years before current-day. So whether it's a good choice or not depends on how much off-base activity we want to be doing...I don't doubt there are people still living there, but it's likely still devastated to some degree.

evangel

So Japan has pumped out pretty sweet fan-art of Pacific Rim. Quite a few involving cool redesigns or originals that I think would fit the RP as designs we could use for Jaegers. Click the image for the link to the original art, and click again there for higher resolutions.

#1 - SuwaLake Rim by Zounose.

#2 - Pacific Rim by sys.

#3 - KNIFEHEAD Level5!! by 珍緑@C84日曜M-43a委託.

#4 - イェーガー by Sabum.

Revenent

Quote from: Yugishogun on July 25, 2013, 01:38:48 PM

He'll be here. I'm with him in another RP, and he's quite reliable there.

Primarch

Quote from: Revenent on July 25, 2013, 02:15:50 PM
He'll be here. I'm with him in another RP, and he's quite reliable there.

Excellent. On another hand I'd advise Drift-Partners to start PM-ing to work on coming up with a Jaeger.

Yukina

I get to work on my character sheet as soon as I can return to my main computer. (So basically in an hour or so.)

Primarch

When you are considering which Mark you want your Jaeger, later models will likely be faster/stronger, but the older models will have more experienced pilots and (likely) Kaiju kills.

Yukina

My character would probably be in a Mark III then.

Ember Star

Rev, I'll shoot you a pm later today to discuss our characters and Jaegar. Or you can shoot me one first if you want. Fixing to go run dome errands.

Yukina

On second, I will wait till Zenaku returns.

Doomglazer

Is there still a spot open? if so i would be intrested

Revenent

I have a friend who plans on seeing the movie this weekend who may join up, so if he does, that would be one extra.

Darkcide

I vote L.A or Tokyo, don't have a preference. I'll be playing a straight male, and a former MMA fighter as far as pre-PPDC careers go.

Question Mark

I'm willing to draft up a character.  It looks like everyone has a match, but considering that this is a group game (and a BIG one at that), I'm guessing about half of the current players won't make it through the first page of the actual IC thread.  As such, I'd be willing to be a fill-in or replacement for when someone drops out.  I'd also be willing to play as the Kaiju.

On the other hand, it looks like there's been some hashing of details concerning location, orientation, and logistics, but the meat of the story remains largely undiscussed.  Here are some questions:

• What is the primary conflict of the story?  Obviously there will be Jaeger vs. Kaiju battles, but I feel an overarching plot (similar to the film's) would help tie the game together and add weight to the character's actions.  I suggest that our 3-5 Jaegers be a team selected to try and nuke/cross the breach for the first time.
  • What will the structure of the story be?  A freeform game with this many people and an emphasis on being in Jaegers (which are only deployed for Kaiju) would never work; this game needs a strong GM to keep a firm hold on the story to prevent stagnation.
  • Will there be lore characters present?  Will the Marshall make an appearance, or that Aussie dude, or named Jaegers like Gipsy Danger or Cherno Alpha?  Or are we acting slightly out of canon, with a commander who's not mentioned in the canon lore?
  • Speaking of canon, how close to canon will be sticking?  IIRC, all of the Jaegers ever built were named during the hype, but I'm under the impression we'll be "designing" our own, so we'll be breaking canon somewhat there.
  • What kind of posting orders or times will we have?  Having all of the PC's paired up to pilot the Jaegers is an intriguing move, but it will also slow the game tremendously if not handled properly.  I propose following Primarch's "A" method, with a slight alteration: the player whose turn it is to post has 24 hours.  If they don't post within a day, their partner can steal their turn.  If neither post within 48 hours, then we'll say the Kaiju has the advantage or stunned them or whatever and the Kaiju can post.

Primarch

Quote from: Doomglazer on July 25, 2013, 04:20:37 PM
Is there still a spot open? if so i would be intrested

Most certainly

Quote from: Revenent on July 25, 2013, 04:21:42 PM
I have a friend who plans on seeing the movie this weekend who may join up, so if he does, that would be one extra.

Excellent.

Quote from: Darkcide on July 25, 2013, 08:01:09 PM
I vote L.A or Tokyo, don't have a preference. I'll be playing a straight male, and a former MMA fighter as far as pre-PPDC careers go.

At this point I'm going to lock in Tokya as our Shatterdome.

Quote from: Question Mark on July 26, 2013, 12:27:13 AM
What is the primary conflict of the story?  Obviously there will be Jaeger vs. Kaiju battles, but I feel an overarching plot (similar to the film's) would help tie the game together and add weight to the character's actions.  I suggest that our 3-5 Jaegers be a team selected to try and nuke/cross the breach for the first time.
Currently the overarcing plot is the war itself, both the battles agains the Kaiju and what happens during downtime in the scenario, from the highs and lows of war. That being said I'm not here to say "This is the plot, this is what we're doing," I've kicked off interest in a setting and as the GM I'll try keep it structured, but if someone brings up a scenario in the OOC such as 'first attempt at hitting the breach?' and a bunch of people say 'that sounds great' then we can most certainly go with it. I'm open to suggestions to keep things moving and try new things. 

QuoteWhat will the structure of the story be?  A freeform game with this many people and an emphasis on being in Jaegers (which are only deployed for Kaiju) would never work; this game needs a strong GM to keep a firm hold on the story to prevent stagnation.
We'll have one thread for the Shatterdome for the downtime and 'in between missions' period. When a Kaiju emerges, a new thread will be started for that Kaiju. I would recommend the 'Shatterdome' thread continue as normal until after and not reference the Kaiju thread until it is resolved so as not to get held up. That being said, while I'm the GM here I also hope to play. I'll be here to help out and get things going, but I'm not going to hold your hand through the whole game. Players are encouraged to show initiative in making things happen and progressing their own characters. 

QuoteWill there be lore characters present?  Will the Marshall make an appearance, or that Aussie dude, or named Jaegers like Gipsy Danger or Cherno Alpha?  Or are we acting slightly out of canon, with a commander who's not mentioned in the canon lore?
As it stands the basis is that events that happen in canon and people that exist at the time when the game starts exist in this game. If someone decides to take up a canon, they most certainly can. If someone wishes to take up an OC Commander that runs our Shatterdome, they most certainly can.

QuoteSpeaking of canon, how close to canon will be sticking?  IIRC, all of the Jaegers ever built were named during the hype, but I'm under the impression we'll be "designing" our own, so we'll be breaking canon somewhat there.
We will follow full canon up to the point when the game starts and from there we shall break into an AU and proceed with events. As we will be proceeding through the war, we may occasionally skip forward large periods and in those periods events from the lore may be referenced as having happened. Unless of course events in our game make it very unlikely things will proceed as normal.

QuoteWhat kind of posting orders or times will we have?  Having all of the PC's paired up to pilot the Jaegers is an intriguing move, but it will also slow the game tremendously if not handled properly.  I propose following Primarch's "A" method, with a slight alteration: the player whose turn it is to post has 24 hours.  If they don't post within a day, their partner can steal their turn.  If neither post within 48 hours, then we'll say the Kaiju has the advantage or stunned them or whatever and the Kaiju can post.
I've taken a similar approach to games before, makes sense to me. If the players don't post after X period of time, it shall be assumed the Kaiju's last attack landed and damaged shall occur, if the players do not return then eventually the Kaiju will kill them. This also works the other way around. We'll decide on an appropriate waiting time later, we all have other commitments after all.

Primarch

As Paladin hasn't confirmed I've placed Doomgazer on his position. Tokyo is our selected Shatterdome location, if people could start getting characters in it would be appreciated. Once the characters in a couple of teams are approved we'll start Jaeger approval and start IC.

Is there any place for someone that can't post consistently? I'd like to play, but with my life as it is, it's hard to find the time. Doesn't have to be a pilot or anything.

Primarch

Could take someone at the Shatterdome that's not a Ranger, one of the scientists or engineers or any other form of expert. Even a Doctor...or the PR person.

My first thought is the daughter of one of the Jaeger program's founders, who died in one of the attacks, and has taken up his mantle.

Primarch

This gentleman appears to be one the main mastermind's behind the whole thing. Other people of importance can be found on that site too I believe.

How important is the extended universe stuff? I have to be pretty picky about how I spend my time lately, so I was planning to just make someone up. I'm glad to hear any suggestions you might have.

Primarch

Quote from: Karma on July 28, 2013, 02:45:26 PM
How important is the extended universe stuff? I have to be pretty picky about how I spend my time lately, so I was planning to just make someone up. I'm glad to hear any suggestions you might have.

I'm looking to respect the established story up to the point where we start. But adding elements where there is space is perfectly permissible.

Now that I think about it, if I'm playing a Jaeger developer, reading that comic would be more than a little helpful... *chuckle*

Genbu83

Awesome concept, to put it lightly you have just put my inner child into puberty.

I would be game to pilot and possibly play kaiju.

Primarch

Quote from: Genbu83 on July 28, 2013, 11:18:55 PM
Awesome concept, to put it lightly you have just put my inner child into puberty.

I would be game to pilot and possibly play kaiju.

Feel free to submit a character!

Yukina

Just finished discussing my character, so will be put up sometime today.

Primarch

Quote from: Yugishogun on July 29, 2013, 08:39:38 AM
Just finished discussing my character, so will be put up sometime today.

Excellent. How about everyone else?

I'm gonna try to wedge in some time to read the comic and get you something tonight.

evangel

Had a busy weekend, so just started talking with my partner now. Still here!

Question Mark

Name: Dr. Ryan Kodo
Nationality: Chinese/American

Appearance: Standing at 165cm, Dr. Kodo has a lithe and compact frame.  His often messy black hair is kept somewhat short, his scraggly beard more-or-less in check.  He has a single small gauge in his left ear, and a black tattoo on his right jaw hidden beneath his beard.

Positive Personality Traits: Attentive, easygoing, empathetic
Negative Personality Traits: Callous, habitual, lazy

Pre-PPDC Experience: Earned his Bachelors, Masters, and PhD at Boston University, working in neurobiology, specifically neural-machine interfacing.  Worked through post-docs in Boston and Tokyo, conducting research on electrical trauma to human neurons and the transfer of impulses from neuron to circuit, respectively.  After securing a position as an assistant professor at Tokyo University, Onibaba attacked the city, wounding Kodo and killing hundreds of thousands of others.  Although he had previously considered the Kaiju fascinating and a passing novelty, the stark reality of Onibaba's attack prompted Kodo to join the PPDC.  He originally worked on research into improving the Drift, but was eventually recruited as a Ranger.

Other Skills:
Trilingual (Mandarin, Japanese, English)
Wushu (Chinese martial art), especially Zui Quan (Drunken Fist)
Excellent swimmer
Extensive knowledge of neurobiology

Bio: Born in China, moved to Boston before his first birthday.  Normal childhood, won several Wushu tournaments as a teenager, and even participated in one in China (5th place).  Attended BU, etc. etc.

Ember Star

TheGlyphstone

It's called "Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero".

Ember Star

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 29, 2013, 07:46:07 PM
It's called "Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero".
Is there a place a can read it online? Preferably mobile compatible

TheGlyphstone

Doesn't appear to have a Kindle/mobile version for sale, but that's never stopped anyone. I'm sure there are places to find it for sufficiently creative seekers, though.

Yukina

Sorry, but my sheet might be delayed until tomorrow.

I finished the comic... I expected it to be about twice as long as that. :/

evangel

Yeah, the story is nice but the art is rather lacking along with the length. I wouldn't really buy it myself. :X

TheGlyphstone

Tie-in material can be like that, though it does give a lot of nice info about the setting. Hopefully the movie doing well will fund more supplementary material.

evangel

Agreed. AFAIK, the screenwriter wants to write more in other media regarding Tacit Ronin and her two pilots!

Awesome. Tacit Ronin is one of the coolest designs.

Name: Athena Metaxas
Nationality: Greek

Appearance:

Positive personality traits: Brilliant, thorough, disciplined
Negative personality traits: Standoffish, defensive, unconcerned about collateral damage

Pre-PPDC experience: Athena was still in high school when the attacks began. She was a globally recognized prodigy in robotics when the end of the world began, but dropped off the world’s radar not long after.
Other skills:
Speaks Greek, English, and passable Japanese
Undefeated at chess (she’ll omit that she’s never played a master)
Steel thumb (able to diagnose and fix mechanical problems in record time)

General Backstory: Athena worked closely with her father, Aineas, on the Jaeger project even as a teenager, as her father valued her viciously intelligent mind as a filter for his own. He broke an untold number of laws and non-disclosure agreements to involve her, but her contributions were important enough that neither of them were punished. During her time on the project, she nearly completed dozens of degrees on the side, but was too caught up in Jaegers to finish any of them. She never formally graduated.
Her father was a prominent public figure for the Jaeger Project, and when he died of complications arising from his close work with the Jaeger reactors, many looked to Athena to take his place. She vehemently opposed this newfound interest in her opinions and personal life, but often found herself ordered to engage them, for the lack of anyone better suited to it. Aineas had been a jovial, personable man, much-loved by the public. Athena found this legacy difficult to uphold. When not thrust into the public eye, she can be found tinkering.

Primarch

Athena looks solid.
Ryan needs a new pb & the backstory is rather under developed.

Primarch

Terribly sorry to do this as things are just coming together, but I just got a phonecall with some bad news I don't believe I'll be in an appropriate position to be running a game. If someone would like to take what I've provided and run with it you'd be completely welcome.

That sucks, but I can certainly sympathize. Do what you gotta do. :/

Ember Star

Quote from: Primarch on July 30, 2013, 10:55:32 AM
Terribly sorry to do this as things are just coming together, but I just got a phonecall with some bad news I don't believe I'll be in an appropriate position to be running a game. If someone would like to take what I've provided and run with it you'd be completely welcome.
Dang! Good luck!

As for somebody taking over, I'd follow. Rev and I were speaking of possibly setting up a group before this one sprung up. So maybe one or both of us can help out. Though I'm currently running a game of my own and co-GMing two others, along with all my other things. So IDK how much time I'll be able to put into the management of another.

I'll still play but running isn't an option sadly

TheGlyphstone

Damn. Ah well. I definitely can't run the game, sadly.

evangel

Good luck, Primarch. I wish you the best, man. :(

I have no experience running a game, but I also really don't want this game to die before it even starts. I'm willing to GM/co-GM if there are no objections.

I'll help in any way I can, I just don't have time to manage characters and write scenarios.

Ember Star

Quote from: evangel on July 30, 2013, 01:50:21 PM
Good luck, Primarch. I wish you the best, man. :(

I have no experience running a game, but I also really don't want this game to die before it even starts. I'm willing to GM/co-GM if there are no objections.
If you can take control ICly of the Kenji and the plots/story, I can help manage OOCly with Q&A and characters. Then if we could have third for backup, that would be good. Because honestly, I have a lot on my hands right now. I just don't want this to die

evangel

No problems. I can do the Kaiju and I've got several ideas swimming in my head regarding the plot. If you could help out with the characters and setup, that would be fantastic! Thanks!

Revenent

I can help with anything if you need it, too. Story ideas, if nothing else.

evangel

Quote from: Revenent on July 30, 2013, 04:25:54 PM
I can help with anything if you need it, too. Story ideas, if nothing else.

Definitely could use those. Also, if I'm gonna do this then I'm going to drop out of the Ranger position. Maybe I'll make an NPC Jaeger but sorry, Darkcide! We'll find you another partner. Should I make a new topic or is it possible to transfer control over to me? I wouldn't mind making new recruiting/OOC/character application forum topics if only not to bother Primarch.

Yeah, you should. Having to go through him to edit top posts would get old real quick, believe me.

Ember Star

Yeah, just make new threads. There's no way (to my knowledge) to transfer ownership.

evangel

Hah, good point. :)

Alright, I'll set up new topics later tonight then. Any ideas or any directions you guys want to take with your character, feel free to PM me. We're still going to set up in Tokyo, we're still going to use fan-made Jaegers!

Revenent

Can I make a suggestion at this point? I don't think we should have to stick by the canon timeline if it's to the detriment of the RP's enjoyability. I say we just take history from the point we choose and leave everything that comes after completely open as an alternate universe/What If scenario. That way we can have major, situation-changing events without having to worry about conflicting with canon.

Ember Star

Quote from: Revenent on July 30, 2013, 04:57:40 PM
Can I make a suggestion at this point? I don't think we should have to stick by the canon timeline if it's to the detriment of the RP's enjoyability. I say we just take history from the point we choose and leave everything that comes after completely open as an alternate universe/What If scenario. That way we can have major, situation-changing events without having to worry about conflicting with canon.
I agree. I always prefer doing fandom RPs as AU

TheGlyphstone

That's sort of a given, since we're used Fan-Jaegers that didn't exist in the original timeline to begin with. We've already broken from said canon timeline at that point, and Primarch had originally picked a good point that wasn't central to any future events....the Kaiju are still appearing at wide-spaced enough intervals to not be overwhelming, the Kaiju Wall hasn't even been started yet. So we're entirely free to make our own stomping grounds without gluing to any of the above (aside from maybe the increased attack speed, but at our point in history it'll still take a few years for the effect to be noticeable, and I doubt the RP will last that long).

Revenent

True, but we're very limited in having to avoid things like category 4 or 5 kaiju or any sort of event that effects the rift (or whatever they called it). I'm saying we should just have full artistic freedom if we feel it would improve the RP.

TheGlyphstone

Not necessarily that limited - we can give ourselves as much artistic freedom as we want, it's certainly easy enough to justify. Maybe, instead of a Category 3 attack, the Kaiju Masters mix it up and throw a double-event of Category 2 Kaijus. It never happened in canon, but it's a deviation that still echoes the spirit of the canon (attacks get more powerful/frequent as time goes on). And it gives 4 PCs the spotlight instead of 2. Stuff like that - there's plenty of wiggle room to find a middle ground between slavish adherence to the canon and throwing everything out the window. We just need to find it.

I'm with Glyph - Primarch already gave us a perfect point from which to launch into practically any scenario we prefer. If we get too loose with it, or go back too far, we run the definite risk of falling into a new setting entirely, and somewhat defeating the point of having it be Pacific Rim at all. It needs to stay recognizable.

Primarch

Quote from: evangel on July 30, 2013, 04:28:39 PM
Definitely could use those. Also, if I'm gonna do this then I'm going to drop out of the Ranger position. Maybe I'll make an NPC Jaeger but sorry, Darkcide! We'll find you another partner. Should I make a new topic or is it possible to transfer control over to me? I wouldn't mind making new recruiting/OOC/character application forum topics if only not to bother Primarch.

Quote from: Karma on July 30, 2013, 04:31:21 PM
Yeah, you should. Having to go through him to edit top posts would get old real quick, believe me.

I can copy the contents on the threads and PM them to someone with the code for ease. Least I can do for leaving you guys high and dry.

Yukina

Revenent

Quote from: Karma on July 30, 2013, 05:36:40 PM
I'm with Glyph - Primarch already gave us a perfect point from which to launch into practically any scenario we prefer. If we get too loose with it, or go back too far, we run the definite risk of falling into a new setting entirely, and somewhat defeating the point of having it be Pacific Rim at all. It needs to stay recognizable.

Not really, in my opinion. Having a Category 4 kaiju appear now instead of in several years isn't going to make it not Pacific Rim.

As I understood it, the game would progress from the high point of the Jaeger program, but from then on would not hold to the established continuity. We can already choose our direction. What more control do you want over the story?

Ember Star

I think this conversation has taken a route of misunderstanding. 

What Rev meant (or at least what I think he meant when I agreed with him) was not that we should totally divert from Pacific Rim but like when we were worried about cannon interference (future and past) with what base we pick. That we don't have to keep the series of events completely cannon. I.E: Maybe the Marshall doesn't manage to pilot alone. Maybe he never has a needs to or maybe he dies. That kind of stuff. Make the story our own, don't follow cannon plot points exactly.

I mean, there's not a whole lot of canon to consider in the first place, so... *laughs* I apologize if I contributed to misunderstanding.

Ember Star

Quote from: Karma on July 30, 2013, 06:18:59 PM
I mean, there's not a whole lot of canon to consider in the first place, so... *laughs* I apologize if I contributed to misunderstanding.
True. There's not. Especially given the time period in which we're starting. Which is kinda my point in not worrying about following it exactly.

I guess my question is what changes even need to be made in the first place? There's so little that I can imagine having to fiddle with, which is why I was concerned about the scope of whatever changes you're considering. Most changes made would end up being pretty major.

TheGlyphstone

Pretty much, which is why I was in favor of leaving anything pre-game start untouched and opening the future up to a blank slate, or as close to a blank slate as we can keep it. There is almost no canon to alter between 2018 when we would be playing, and 2024, when the movie takes place. About the only thing that could potentially be canon-breaking is the fate of the original Gipsy Danger, and even that is 2 years from now, so even assuming we get to that point, we'd be so far into our AU that altering those events wouldn't be a problem at all.

Ember Star

Quote from: Karma on July 30, 2013, 06:21:54 PM
I guess my question is what changes even need to be made in the first place? There's so little that I can imagine having to fiddle with, which is why I was concerned about the scope of whatever changes you're considering. Most changes made would end up being pretty major.
Not changes so much. But moreover not worrying about keeping it exact or having to actually incorporat cannon plot points into our story line. Either we do or we don't, but we make it our own and set it as AU (alternate universe)
Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 30, 2013, 06:31:45 PM
Pretty much, which is why I was in favor of leaving anything pre-game start untouched and opening the future up to a blank slate, or as close to a blank slate as we can keep it. There is almost no canon to alter between 2018 when we would be playing, and 2024, when the movie takes place. About the only thing that could potentially be canon-breaking is the fate of the original Gipsy Danger, and even that is 2 years from now, so even assuming we get to that point, we'd be so far into our AU that altering those events wouldn't be a problem at all.
Exactly! :)

Revenent

The main thing I'm talking about is whether we maintain that no category 4s have appeared you, no double-events have occurred, and, should we decide to go so far, no operations to close the rift have been successful. I don't mean we have to alter things about canon characters, just alter things they said haven't happened yet to keep it interesting.

Darkcide

Hey, I've given it some thought and I am going to drop. I need to play catch up on here as it is, and I don't want to potentially hold up the game. I do apologize, and I hope this game is a rousing success!

evangel

This is something I've been mulling around. We're going to stock Tokyo with about four Jaegers or so, and what I was worrying about is keeping the stakes high and letting people participate as much as they want. Trust me, I want a good fight as much as everyone else.  8-)

Also Primarch, the topic codes would be friggin' fantastic. Will you be dropping out of the game as a whole? I'm going to reorganize the roster ASAP and see who's staying in.

Could also consider regular invasions of small kaiju. It would require regular patrols and be a strong reason to keep so many jaegers active.

Primarch

Quote from: evangel on July 30, 2013, 09:22:11 PM
Also Primarch, the topic codes would be friggin' fantastic. Will you be dropping out of the game as a whole? I'm going to reorganize the roster ASAP and see who's staying in.

I'll stick around, I've had time to process since my news yesterday and damage control has been performed. In other words if you need another GM to assist I'd be very willing to get back on board. Wouldn't want to run the game myself, but sharing the neural load works as well for GM's as it does Rangers.

On an unrelated note, Glyph & I have our Jaeger pretty much thought up and character apps should be soon to follow.

I'm thinking of Athena having a personal mech, but more along the lines of power armor than a Jaeger. No drift, much smaller, etc

TheGlyphstone

What exactly is the GM(s)'s role in this game, anyways? We're designing our own characters/mechs, we'll be playing the Kaiju opposite each other's mechs, there isn't really any defined story or plot that we won't be agreeing on collectively anyways...

evangel

I was under the impression the GMs would be dictating the Kaiju and crafting the scenario under which they would attack. It's going to be relatively monster-of-the-week character driven stuff. Maybe an overarching plot.

TheGlyphstone

We already sort of have an overarching plot derived from the setting itself, but my point was more that we're already diluting the traditional 'GM duties' across a wide group of people, many of whom are also players to begin with, that it wouldn't be too much more of a step to just go full-on Gm-less, or collective GMing. Throw down some basic rules like, say, 'the people who get a turn fighting in their Jaeger have to run the Kaiju next fight', and/or 'no drastic changes to the setting without collective approval', etc., then let it loose. The Superheroes game I ostensibly GM (linked in sig) is designed in a similar fashion, where the only thing the GMs really do is approve incoming new PCs to ensure they fit within the setting, and 90% of the remaining scenes, fights, etc. are player-generated.

I'm planning for Athena to have power armor(s) on the scale of Ridley's power loader in Aliens or a Starcraft space marine, as well as a Jaeger-sized project meant to one day be pilotable by a single person without need for the Drift, all using designs sourced from Gundam. Any objections?

TheGlyphstone

The power armor sounds cool. Not sure if I like the other idea though - that's definitely something that they might still be trying to research/develop (despite how it went horribly wrong so much in the past), but even in the height of the Jaeger program, I'd be surprised if they allocated resources to build an entire full-scale Jaeger for drift research, when the same experiments could be conducted without a Jaeger attached.

It's a pet project - one of a kind, entirely unfinished, and built on her own time. It's not meant to be some setting-rocking piece of tech; at worst, it's a Chekov's Gun for way down the line.

TheGlyphstone

Eh, I'm certainly not going to say no...but man, she's rolling in dough if she can finance her own private Jaeger. ;D

Well, I figured the internals would be mostly salvage, with its armor being ornamental at best as it would have to be constantly opened up and redesigned. It's a trait of hers that she dislikes and mistrusts the Drift, and with no "real" Jaegers to spare and sims unsatisfactory, she put one together on her own over time. The power armors went a long way toward making it possible in the first place. You need a big drill for these things. *laughs*

It's not an idea just out of left field, I guess is the point I'm trying to get across. :P

TheGlyphstone

See, now I like the image just because I'm picturing a 'Jaeger' that's actually just a gigantic pile of busted junk with a fully functional cockpit/laboratory on top.

evangel

That's a really badass idea for Jaeger  teams that aren't in service to RP out a Kaiju. Keeps things fresh and gives people things to do.   Also, I'm a bloody idiot for not realizing Primarch already wrote that in the original post for this topic. Anyway, I'm also planning to make LOCCENT NPCs and other base personnel. As for Karma's stuff, I don't really have much objections. Jaegers do get wrecked, and they do get a lot of spare parts for replacement. And with the constant reconstruction/construction, I could see Jaeger technology actually used to create small-scale power armors for the sheer purpose of construction.

On a side note, the new recruitment topic is up.

temptressdragon

Went from page one to page six...but is this still open?
"We do not have Man's gift of tongue or of the imagination.  What is - for dragons - is.  We cannot wish it away.  We cannot make the real unreal, or the unreal real.  I envy Man this gift."
- Grandfather Dragon, from Great-Grandfather Dragon's Tale (Jane Yolen)

EmotionCrave

I'd be down to suit up for this. I even have my own Jaeger to bring to the shatterdome.