What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Hey, all, a brief reminder:

Elliquiy does not use a language filter to prevent the use of particular words.  However, keep in mind that we are a diverse community, and there are people here who have been subjected to certain words in an abusive fashion.  Please be extra considerate if discussing matters involving the use of discriminatory slurs.

Thank you.

RedEve

I was vaguely aware of incels, but not the fact that they worship Elliot Rodgers as some sort of hero figure. Wow. That's disturbing to say the least.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

gaggedLouise

Peter Madsen is sentenced to life in prison for the submarine-based murder, torture, sexual assault and dismemberment of Kim Wall. It hasn't been possible to prove exactly how the young woman finally died, but almost certainly she was either strangled or got her throat cut. All other versions told by Madsen are (rightly) seen as invalidated by his super-low credibility (he radically changed his story several times) and also, no doubt, since if she had been kiled by let's say gas poisoning, there would have been no intelligible reason for Madsen to cut up and get rid of her body - but many reasons against doing so, of course.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43894495

"Life in prison" in Denmark isn't actually set to "indefinitely", often it's finally commuted to somewhere around 12-18 years. Madsen is an especially dangerous man though and this is an unusually serious, cold-blooded murder case, so there's no telling if he would be out even after twenty-five years.

Madsen is likely to seek an appeal, of course.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

gaggedLouise

Yeah, already confirmed that Madsen will appeal. But he's unlikely to get the murder sentence written off.

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: gaggedLouise on April 25, 2018, 06:59:36 AM
Yeah, already confirmed that Madsen will appeal. But he's unlikely to get the murder sentence written off.

Well considering how strong the case is, good luck to him (no not really.) The man is garbage and deserves to rot.

Shores

THEY CAUGHT THE EAST AREA RAPIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RedRose

This made me laugh so much. Cultural differences! They said the same about Trudeau and Macron, too much touching and kissing and complimenting. People are even creating videos and memes. As a French, apart from the walking hand in hand thing that I associate more with teenagers and very young adults, I'm not surprised to see men interacting in such a way (granted Macron has had several gay rumours and journalists love that) http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-macrons-bromance-continues-kisses-praise/story?id=54694470
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Missy

Quote from: RedRose on April 25, 2018, 07:56:42 AM
This made me laugh so much. Cultural differences! They said the same about Trudeau and Macron, too much touching and kissing and complimenting. People are even creating videos and memes. As a French, apart from the walking hand in hand thing that I associate more with teenagers and very young adults, I'm not surprised to see men interacting in such a way (granted Macron has had several gay rumours and journalists love that) http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-macrons-bromance-continues-kisses-praise/story?id=54694470

Macron's a smart guy, I don't think I could stand to be in the same room with that man, much less touch or be touched by him. You've really got to admire the level of pragmatism Macron shows here . . . can I say he's my homeboy if my family history is Scottish Norman? I mean I'm French, eventually.

TheGlyphstone

Trump's desperation for positive foreign relations with people not named Vladimir can't hurt either.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 25, 2018, 10:12:03 AM
Trump's desperation for positive foreign relations with people not named Vladimir can't hurt either.

Yeah, now he's even lauding Kim Jong-Un as "very honourable". Remember Rocket Man? ;D

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/24/trump-praise-kim-jong-un-547610

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: gaggedLouise on April 25, 2018, 10:22:45 AM
Yeah, now he's even lauding Kim Jong-Un as "very honourable". Remember Rocket Man? ;D

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/24/trump-praise-kim-jong-un-547610

Trumps attempts at flirting with various world leaders after having insulted them is as subtle as a morning star to the face

RedRose

Didn't vote for Macron, but I think he tries and he will discuss with anyone.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 25, 2018, 10:32:19 PM
Coal miners who suffered lung disease due to faulty masks successfully win $67.5 lawsuit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/kentucky-jury-awards-dollar675-million-to-miners-who-used-defective-dust-masks/ar-AAwkVYn?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

Pleased that it was 67.5 million dollars - if it had been just the cost of a single new pair of sneakers it would have sucked... :)

gaggedLouise

Kanye West comes out as an admirer of Donald Trump on twitter.

QuoteYou don't have to agree with trump but the mob can't make me not love him. We are both dragon energy. He is my brother. I love everyone. I don't agree with everything anyone does. That's what makes us individuals.

In a later tweet he added that wife Kim had advised him to stress that he did not like everything Trump did. Yeah, right. ::)

*deep sigh* 

Quick Ben

Kanye and Trump tweeting each other with support is one of the best parts of American life.
The Crazy Den of Quick Ben

"We have a proverb," said Hadji Murád to the interpreter, " 'The dog gave meat to the ass, and the ass gave hay to the dog, and both went hungry,' " and he smiled. "Its own customs seem good to each nation."

Mile High -- Redd & Hood -- Lana Cross -- Goblet of Murder & Mystery -- Naughty or Nice --  Princess Peach

gaggedLouise

Family confirm that Tim "Avicii" Bergling committed suicide, triggered by exhaustion and bouts of depression.   :-(

https://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/tim-avicii-berglings-family-he-took-his-own-life/

gaggedLouise

This was an uncertain rumour before, but now it's confirmed by Chinese seismologic experts: North Korea's main nuclear testing site partly collapsed last year due to damage from some accidental explosion. :)

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/North_Korea_nuclear_test_site_part-collapsed_Chinese_experts_999.html

Another factor behind Kim Jong-un's turn to diplomacy? :)

CriminalMindsFan

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 24, 2018, 03:48:27 PM
incels are quite disturbing. Often hear them say shit like sisters should fuck their brothers, rape is totally ok, all hot women should be handed out to those that can't get laid. Women that are not virgins are useless (yeah go figure, they want to get laid but only with super hot virgins). etc.. just go to reddit and inceltears and.. well.. prepare for nightmares. Reddit kicked the real incel forum off a while ago.

Never heard of incels until today. I know there is still stigma or shame in male virginity but responding with violence/hatred over lack of intimacy or romance in one's life is very wrong. They just arrested the Golden State Killer this week, here in California. While he wouldn't fit into incel group he likely would've has incel members being fans of his crimes.

RedRose

This is just so weird?
That crap is the best way NOT to find someone, even for a one night stand. Also the virgin thing, does it work like for terrorists, with their 72 eternally virgin gals? Sooo weird. While it's true that in certain circles it's shameful for a guy to be a virgin (grew up in very conservative circles, dated virgin guys, it was expected and normal), they could just not speak of it instead of demanding to be serviced or to kill everyone. WTF?

RedEve

I used to think this was just guys gathering on social media and online forums to complain about how they couldn't get any.
But apparently it's much darker and quite a bit more nefarious than that.
What I find maddening is the idea that loneliness is a purely male trait. There are a lot of lonely women out there too.
But apparently they don't find the need to start hating all men because of it.

Lustful Bride

North and South Korea seem to be making genuine efforts to move towards peace. Both wish to see Nuclear weapons removed by the year's end, and making an official end to the Korean War.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/koreas-set-bold-goals-peace-by-year’s-end-and-no-nuclear-arms/ar-AAwpo0G?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

I am skeptical, the North has been infamous for making promises and breaking them.

RedEve

Considering that Kim Jong-Un probably realizes that the nuclear threat is the only way he can avoid being deposed, I would be very surprised if he just handed them over.

Lustful Bride

So somehow the VA is going to be even worse off due to leadership issues.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/va-faces-critical-shortfalls-amid-another-leadership-search-after-jackson-drops-out/ar-AAwoy8Z?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

Honestly, I have been to VA hospitals with my father, and I see how much veterans suffer, some openly crying and others shit talking the bad deals they were caring without a care about who heard them, and I cannot think of how the VA can fail at doing its job even more. The entire system has been broken for decades and no one in power ever actually cares about fixing it.

CriminalMindsFan

Quote from: RedEve on April 27, 2018, 05:27:08 AM
I used to think this was just guys gathering on social media and online forums to complain about how they couldn't get any.
But apparently it's much darker and quite a bit more nefarious than that.
What I find maddening is the idea that loneliness is a purely male trait. There are a lot of lonely women out there too.
But apparently they don't find the need to start hating all men because of it.

Have you heard about the former Miami Dolphins cheerleader who is suing the organization because she was bullied by other cheerleaders for being a virgin? She said they would make fun of her religion and views at parties and such during her time on the squad because she was very supportive of saving one self for marriage.