News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Return of Sailor Moon

Started by Pastel Kitkat, April 09, 2011, 02:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pastel Kitkat

Surely I can't be the only one on this site who has heard of the amazing news that Kodansha is retranslating and rereleasing the Sailor Moon manga in America. I couldn't seem to find a topic for it so here's one!

I'm absolutely psyched, in fact I teared up when I heard the news and immediately preordered my copies of volumes one and two on Amazon. It's amazing, absolutely wonderful! My dream has come true! (seriously... this was my dream <3) Is anyone else out there as positively giddy as I am? C: And for those of you out there from other countries that are fans don't fret, I'm quite sure they'll start releasing it everywhere like they did when it first exploded on the scene.

Wolfy

I like Sailor Moon...but good god does that picture look..creepy. O-o...I think I'm more used to the Anime than the manga.

Pastel Kitkat

Quote from: Wolfy on April 09, 2011, 03:12:27 AM
I like Sailor Moon...but good god does that picture look..creepy. O-o...I think I'm more used to the Anime than the manga.

Lol, uh, if you say so. I think the manga art is beautiful, Naoko Takeuchi is very talented. Though I've never been able to finish it (for lack of good scanlations and the cash to buy the originals off Amazon) I can firmly state that the storyline of the manga is much better then that of the anime. But of course that's my opinion.

Oniya

It might be the quality of the scan - the edge of the nose seems to blend in with the edge of the mouth, and the upper lip doesn't show up well on my screen.  If you 'think' the line back in, it looks pretty normal (for shoujo heroines, anyways)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Pastel Kitkat

Quote from: Oniya on April 09, 2011, 03:14:16 PM
It might be the quality of the scan - the edge of the nose seems to blend in with the edge of the mouth, and the upper lip doesn't show up well on my screen.  If you 'think' the line back in, it looks pretty normal (for shoujo heroines, anyways)

Could be, it's a pretty old scan I had lying in the dark depths of my photobucket. Here's a nicer one~

Oniya

Yup - that looks a lot closer to what I remember from the anime.

It's amazing how significant the presence of a nose is, no matter how small.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Shjade

It's not just the nose - the shape of her head is different between those two images as well. It looks sorta...scrunched in the first one, like it got flattened out on one side. I don't think I'd go so far as to call it creepy but it's...no. It's very no.

OT: as a non-fan of Sailor Moon I'm surprised by this news. I thought it was available in English already.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Quote from: Shjade on April 09, 2011, 03:52:44 PM
It's not just the nose - the shape of her head is different between those two images as well. It looks sorta...scrunched in the first one, like it got flattened out on one side.

I thought that was a result of the pose:  head slightly tilted to one side and almost 3/4 view.  The second pic is closer to a full-face presentation.  (Do they have other fractional terms for facial pictures?  7/8?)

Pastel Kitkat

Quote from: Shjade on April 09, 2011, 03:52:44 PM
OT: as a non-fan of Sailor Moon I'm surprised by this news. I thought it was available in English already.

Oh it is, but since the manga is an old 90's one the books are quite expensive. Like $30 a volume and there's eighteen of them. Not to mention the original translation is very censored and not that good. There's a lot of 90's Valley Girl-speak and they warped the lesbian relationship of two of the girls and made them cousins. That made a lot of fans angry. We (by we I mean the millions of American fans) really hope they'll fix such issues in the new releases. If you happen to be a fan of manga I'd definitely reccomend checking it out when it comes out in September. It's a really good story, much better then the anime.

Major Major

Personally, I wonder if Takeneuchi (I can't remember her name or spell it) will allow for a new version of the anime, one more faithful to the manga; let's face it, the anime was a bit... yeah; and the the hack and slash job DIC did with their dub certainly did it no favours.

If they do do a remake though, I hope they keep some of the music. I mean, I've pretty much got a tin ear, and even I think Moonlight Densetsu was awesome; though I'm not sure about the original "Moon Prism Power, Make Up!" music. I enjoy it a lot, but it sounds ike it belongs in a 1960's film, like an aerial establishing shot of somewhere like Monte Carlo.

Pastel Kitkat

Quote from: Major Major on April 12, 2011, 10:57:30 PM
Personally, I wonder if Takeneuchi (I can't remember her name or spell it) will allow for a new version of the anime, one more faithful to the manga; let's face it, the anime was a bit... yeah; and the the hack and slash job DIC did with their dub certainly did it no favours.

If they do do a remake though, I hope they keep some of the music. I mean, I've pretty much got a tin ear, and even I think Moonlight Densetsu was awesome; though I'm not sure about the original "Moon Prism Power, Make Up!" music. I enjoy it a lot, but it sounds ike it belongs in a 1960's film, like an aerial establishing shot of somewhere like Monte Carlo.

I don't know about a new version of the anime. They did it with Full Metal Alchemist and I know a lot of fans are really hoping they will but I'm not hopeful. I'm sure they'll probably do some special box set releases of the anime but I doubt they'll be any different from the ones I already have. It'd be amazing if they did though. I think I'd have to go to Kodansha and kiss everyone working on the project. It's Naoko Takeuchi btw. ;P

Personally, and there aren't very many that feel the same. I like the English version of Moonlight Denetsu they did for the English dub, I find it catchy and it puts me in a good mood. The original version's good as well and I think that girl on youtube did a lovely job with it. If they do make a new Sailor Moon anime I'd love for them to use the English theme and maybe just rock it out a bit more. Add some more guitar to it. Not sure it'd exactly fit given the girly romantic nature of the story, but hell, I'd love to hear it.

Zombie

Used to love the anime when I was little, though I don't remember a whole lot about it. I always did want to get and read the manga, but it's too expensive for my tastes. So I'm glad they're re-releasing it, I'll def buy it when they do :3 Any idea when it might be released? o:

Pastel Kitkat

Quote from: Zombie on April 13, 2011, 12:50:55 AM
Used to love the anime when I was little, though I don't remember a whole lot about it. I always did want to get and read the manga, but it's too expensive for my tastes. So I'm glad they're re-releasing it, I'll def buy it when they do :3 Any idea when it might be released? o:

They're releasing the first volume September 13th this year and the second on November 15th. If you preorder it right now on Amazon it's only about $7, that's what I did.

Sailor Moon 1
Sailor Moon 2

Also, if you're interested, they're releasing the Sailor V manga too on the same dates. It's Sailor Venus's story before she joined up with the other senshi (or scouts ;P). I ordered that as well, I can't wiat until I finally get to read them. <3

HockeyGod

Quote from: Otachii on April 09, 2011, 06:25:35 PM
Oh it is, but since the manga is an old 90's one the books are quite expensive. Like $30 a volume and there's eighteen of them. Not to mention the original translation is very censored and not that good. There's a lot of 90's Valley Girl-speak and they warped the lesbian relationship of two of the girls and made them cousins. That made a lot of fans angry. We (by we I mean the millions of American fans) really hope they'll fix such issues in the new releases. If you happen to be a fan of manga I'd definitely reccomend checking it out when it comes out in September. It's a really good story, much better then the anime.

I'm not a big follower, but I seem to recall that 2 of the bad guys were gay men and they turned one into a woman in the U.S. version.

Pastel Kitkat

Quote from: alxnjsh on April 13, 2011, 08:48:42 PM
I'm not a big follower, but I seem to recall that 2 of the bad guys were gay men and they turned one into a woman in the U.S. version.

Ay, Kunzite and Zoisite. In the American anime they made Zoisite a female. But their relationship was something imagined by the creators of the anime. In the manga Zoisite and Kunzite were not lovers, in fact it was hinted that Kunzite and Sailor Venus where something of a couple or at least felt romantically for one another and Zoisite was with Sailor Mercury.

Shjade

Quote from: Otachii on April 09, 2011, 06:25:35 PM
If you happen to be a fan of manga I'd definitely reccomend checking it out when it comes out in September. It's a really good story, much better then the anime.
Ah, but I'm not a fan of manga. I like some manga because of their stories, characters, action and art, not because I like anything made in that medium.

I'll pass, thanks. I'm aware of how badly mangled the Moon series became in translation, but from my perspective the points that were changed weren't important. Does being open about Uranus and Saturn's relationship (they're the added pair that got familified, right?) change the overall plot? Not signficantly. Does a given villain's gender have a dramatic impact on the rest of the show? Not so much. It's still a series about schoolgirls who save the world by freezing time to change into magical versions of their school uniforms with shorter skirts to banish bad guys who don't have the sense to, y'know, move out of the way of the giant sparkle streamers. It's the Power Rangers as Japanese schoolgirls; they pay a lot more attention to the plot and character development than the Rangers series, but the core mechanics still don't appeal to me.

That said, I hope the new release is updated in some way so that it's an improvement rather than just a cash rehash. Might not be my thing, but it'd be nice if those who do want it got more for their money than just a more accurate translation of the same material. Happy thoughts!
◕/◕'s

Alexiel

The fact that it's 'returning' thrills me to no end, Sailor Moon was the first manga I ever read and the first anime I watched. ^_^; As a dedicated fan, this news couldn't be better, I might can actually afford to buy the manga now instead of borrowing from friends to read them. I'm hoping they don't 'edit' the re-release though, I think Naoko Takeuchi's work deserves more respect than to be changed to accommodate people who can't appreciate her vision and reasoning for why she wrote things as she did.

If they ever remake the anime, we should demand for the Haruka/Michiru relationship to be present, and for them to turn the Starlights into women like they were meant to be. >.< -done ranting now- Thank you for posting about this, Otachii, I hadn't heard about it until this.
Search Thread | Ons & Offs | A&A's | Post List
Alexiel is currently UNAVAILABLE for new stories.

Pastel Kitkat

Quote from: Leyana on April 14, 2011, 02:03:55 AM
The fact that it's 'returning' thrills me to no end, Sailor Moon was the first manga I ever read and the first anime I watched. ^_^; As a dedicated fan, this news couldn't be better, I might can actually afford to buy the manga now instead of borrowing from friends to read them. I'm hoping they don't 'edit' the re-release though, I think Naoko Takeuchi's work deserves more respect than to be changed to accommodate people who can't appreciate her vision and reasoning for why she wrote things as she did.

If they ever remake the anime, we should demand for the Haruka/Michiru relationship to be present, and for them to turn the Starlights into women like they were meant to be. >.< -done ranting now- Thank you for posting about this, Otachii, I hadn't heard about it until this.

Amen sister! I was hoping to find some true Sailor Moon enthusiasts on the site. Glad I at least came across one. C: No problem. I'm happy I could spread this amazing news to those who can appreciate it. Plus... I just had to express my excitment, it's still bubbling inside me. I can't wait for September. <3

And I completely agree. If they remake the anime they should stick as closely to the original story as possible. Naoko Takeuchi came up with what is (arguably) one of the greatest, if not the greatest, shoujo manga of all time. Why mess with that kind of epicness?

Alexiel

^_^ It's always great to meet a fellow enthusiast, I completely adore Sailor Moon and likely always will. Since I've heard about the return, I've told anyone who will listen, hehe, got to spread the love around a little. Next plan is pre-ordering, as soon as the check clears the bank.

-nodnod- I was disappointed after I read the manga and discovered that so much of the anime had been a lie, especially the English dub, which I saw first. Makes me shudder to think about it, the subbed version holds up a little truer to the manga, but there are still so many points to be argued over it. We should band together and demand a remake, though I think the only way to truly get it right is for them to completely involve Naoko in the making of it, which would be epic. <3
Search Thread | Ons & Offs | A&A's | Post List
Alexiel is currently UNAVAILABLE for new stories.

Pastel Kitkat

Quote from: Leyana on April 16, 2011, 11:15:47 PM
^_^ It's always great to meet a fellow enthusiast, I completely adore Sailor Moon and likely always will. Since I've heard about the return, I've told anyone who will listen, hehe, got to spread the love around a little. Next plan is pre-ordering, as soon as the check clears the bank.

-nodnod- I was disappointed after I read the manga and discovered that so much of the anime had been a lie, especially the English dub, which I saw first. Makes me shudder to think about it, the subbed version holds up a little truer to the manga, but there are still so many points to be argued over it. We should band together and demand a remake, though I think the only way to truly get it right is for them to completely involve Naoko in the making of it, which would be epic. <3

I know what you mean. The day I found out I ran around telling all of my friends. I even called my mother. None of them really cared all that much, they just kind of laughed at my giddiness but that's alright. I know I'm obsessive (my tattoo is proof enough of that) and I'm quite prooud.

I think I wouldn't dislike the anime as much if I hadn't read the manga. They changed the story so much and made it so campy, it's really heartbreaking. That's why I'm glad they're bringing the manga back, I'd like for it to get more attention then the anime, that way people can see how truly great Sailor Moon is and not judge it so harshly because of the sillyness of the anime. Well they did it for FMA when they made Brotherhood, so it's not completely out of reach! That could actually be exactly what they have planned and if it is I think I'll just die from the jubilation of it all!

KaitlynKay

Oh God, please tell me this is not a joke!  Sailor Moon was my first . . everything! First Anime, first Manga . .and always the most beloved.  I think I might cry of joy!  I've got a few of the manga but I've never been able to completion my collection- so I'll be buying all of them up if this is true.  OMG!

Now I must go on a sailor moon tirade! YAY!

Major Major

You know, a buddy of mine and I were thinking of a Sailor Moon RP a while back....

Oniya

I have to admit - Speed Racer (the original) was my first exposure to anime.

Pastel Kitkat

Quote from: KaitlynKay on April 24, 2011, 10:13:14 PM
Oh God, please tell me this is not a joke!  Sailor Moon was my first . . everything! First Anime, first Manga . .and always the most beloved.  I think I might cry of joy!  I've got a few of the manga but I've never been able to completion my collection- so I'll be buying all of them up if this is true.  OMG!

Now I must go on a sailor moon tirade! YAY!

I assure you this is no joke, I'd never joke about such a wondrous thing. I've read numerous confirmations and even statements by Kodansha promising they will stick to Naoko's original envisionment of Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon. Meaning their names will not be Americanized and will stay what they were originally and the relationship between Sailor Neptune and Uranus will not be toyed with among other things.

I'm glad you're so happy, it's nice to come across more fanatics. C: Hurrah for Sailor Moon. <3

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on April 24, 2011, 10:51:41 PM
I have to admit - Speed Racer (the original) was my first exposure to anime.
I'm not sure what mine was, come to think of it. The top three contenders are Voltron, Thundercats and Nausicaa - Valley of the Wind. Of course, that just means those are the first entries in that field that I remember, so...
◕/◕'s