[Interest Check] Bleach d20

Started by Jeramiahh, January 16, 2008, 05:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cjac

Quote from: Hunter on January 20, 2008, 04:35:43 AM
*gnaws on his liver*  From an rp perspective, no.  From a party balance persective.....

I hope that isn't really your liver.  I also hope it isn't Ryv's liver....
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. -Bob Marley
CjaC passed away on February 17th, 2008, thus her account restriction. We remember her fondly.

Ryvaken

I don't have a liver. My species processes blood via a series of liquid-filled bladders.
In creativity, meaning.

Hunter

Cookies are bad.  Have chocolate chip ice cream instead.

Assuming that the GM is going to worry about balance issues (I believe he did), I'll keep my trap shut.  ;)  It looks like my re-write is turning into a stealthy type with some healing abilities.

Ryvaken

Huzzah to the healer! All glory to squad 4! I will jump on your face and suck out your thumb! Through your left nostril!!
In creativity, meaning.

Cjac

Quote from: Ryvaken on January 20, 2008, 10:08:53 AM
Huzzah to the healer! All glory to squad 4! I will jump on your face and suck out your thumb! Through your left nostril!!

That sound oddly.....disturbing....

(JK)
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. -Bob Marley
CjaC passed away on February 17th, 2008, thus her account restriction. We remember her fondly.

Hunter

Quote from: Ryvaken on January 20, 2008, 10:08:53 AM

Who said anything about squad 4?  Stealthy squad, dear boy.   ;D

Ryvaken

Bah. Soi Fong's little squad is amusing, not dangerous.
In creativity, meaning.

Ryvaken

I'm not allowed to poke fun at the Gotei 13?
In creativity, meaning.

psouth119

i'd be interested in this role play i know some about the anime i got up to episode 72 and im going to start watching it again so im up for the low level game or medium game

Serenity Vixen

What is Yoruichi?
I mean, I know she is Shimigami, but what type?

Something like her is exactly what I would like to play
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Hunter

Sorcerer = Spellcaster Shingami, dear.

psouth119

no i think vixen only wants to play a character like Yoruichi is because she can turn into a cat lol :p

Serenity Vixen

That and because in her human form she is the single most absolutely GORGEOUS character that exists :P

But yea, I like the cat angle :)

I will be a spellcasting Shimigami... please :)
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Hunter

*insert gratutitous catgirl joke here*

So that gives the game two Spellcasting Shinigami and what else?  (Because I'm nosy.)

psouth119

im joining as a kick ass fighter person lol

Jeramiahh

Ok, well... this seems to be very active discussion. Excellent. I won't try to respond to all of the particular points, but, judging from the way people have been talking, especially with such interest in playing Shinigami, it looks like I'm leaning towards the mid-level game, now, though I may end up running the low level as a smaller, more free-form game. I've only received one finished character, so far, but that's fine.

One thing I do want to point out is that, frequently, battles will be taking places in different areas; unlike D&D, which assumes a party vs. a monster or two, this will, akin to the series, focus more on 1v1 or 2v1 fights... or, as we advance, more likely 1 versus many Hollows, given their cannon fodder capabilities. =P Thus, in the majority of cases, player balance isn't as important, because all players will contribute to their own fights.

On that note, yes, the Quincy's getting a revamp. Make the following changes, and see how they work:
Raise HD to d6; remove Human Body flaw, maximize all HD.
Raise attack bonus progression to Fighter levels. Adjust Defense bonus to reflect this, as the warrior Shinigami.
Double current range. Increase damage to 1d10 at 6th level, improve again to 2d6 at 9th, 2d8 at 13th, and 2d10 at 17th.
Add a bonus feat at 4th level, and every 4th after that; when you normally add attribute points.
Revamp the entire charge mechanic; triple the maximum held charge (with no concentration check), gain charge each round you are engaged in battle, equal to the amount you would gain by charging as a move action. Gain an additional charge for each ally, actively engaged in a fight, within 40 feet. You cannot use actions to gain additional charge, though it should no longer be needed.
Gain an automatic enhancement bonus to your bow equal every four levels, starting at 3.
As a full round action, starting at 5th level, the Qunicy may fire a single, incredibly powerful arrow, imbuing it with spirit charges. Unlike the normal enhancement mechanism, all points spent increase the damage by two, but for every two points spent, take a penalty on the attack roll of one. (This is basically a very powerful Power Attack, though it requires a full round for a single attack.)
Halve the cost of the Hirenyaku.
At 8th level, Quincy gain the ability Force of Will, and add their Charisma modifier as a bonus to damage to all shots.
Change the power of the longbow; it's silly. A flat +2 to damage, and +20 range. The crossbow adds an additional +1 damage to all shots, on top of the die increase.

I think that ought to cover it. At least, make them a much, much more powerful force, as they should be. Ishida was sniping Hollows in the first episode he appeared in, not plinking them to death, one at a time, charging for a minute between each Hollow. =P

And yes, I love Yourichi... a nice sense of humor, too, with her transformation.

A few notes on character introductions; Shinigami will begin as a member of the 13 squads, your choice. The campaign, in the real world, will take place in some town in Japan. Equipment will be assigned to the players, as appropriate; there isn't much in the way of 'magic items', anyway.

I was surprised at a few of the choices made by the author of this as to what characters were what classes; Rukia is listed as an Expert, not a Spellcaster, though she has numerous meta-magic feats, and always felt very fragile and kidou focused in the series. Meanwhile, Matsumoto, who struck me as an Expert, is a Warrior, though Byakuya is, appropriately, an Expert. It really comes down to a matter of player preference; all are equally viable.

All in all, I have high hopes for this idea; I plan to work with you guys, make sure that everything remains fun for everyone... that's the point of all of this, ain't it?
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Ryvaken

With no Bow Attributes selected, a 6th level quincy has the following choices. This assumes a Dex in the range of 16-17
Short Bow: +11, 1d10+1, 130ft
Longbow: +10, 1d10+3, 150ft
Crossbow: +11, 2d6+2, 120ft
Web Bow: +5, 1d10+1 (x2), 130ft
Whip Bow: +10, 1d10+1, 130ft, allows AoOs

The Shortbow and Longbow have very little in the way of desirable attributes, even though they are the most commonly shown type of bow.

Oh, and the sheet I PMed you has a lot of errors with little things like AC and skills. >.> "Oops."
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

*ponders* That's a good point. There's almost no incentive to use the Short bow over the Whip bow, given that AoOs with a ranged weapon, even with only 10' range on it, is nice. And the crossbow is deadly...

Proposed changes: Whip bow's range halved, Crossbow is treated like a Light Crossbow, and requires a move action to reload. Serious nerf to it, but there's a reason crossbows aren't as useful; they're easier to use. Like you say, the actual bows should be the most desireable, at least until the player gains enough BAB to make the Web useful.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Antone

hi.... JUST took a look to browsing through things, and saw this thread..... and I would be very interested in playing..... anything from mid up.... since I've watched damn near the whole of bleach.... well, as far as it's gone anyway........... though I don't know if there's still space or desire for yet another person....

*peers about half-hopefully*
Ons and Offs
RPs Desired

Caution when handling: Reacts violently when exposed to stupidity...

Jeramiahh

Still space; I've received one (mostly) finished character, and a couple of outlines... still up in the air if I'll run two games or just one, right now. Waiting to get some definite replies, at least three mostly finished characters, before I start anything.

Antone

well, as I said... I have definate knowledge of the char (*so wants Yoruichi as a slave lol*).... and would be more intersted in the mid game you have going on... since that seems the most probably to perhaps get started......

... at the moment, I've only just browsed through the thread, though I'll read it more thoroughly later.... but if I were try and get started, what exactly would that you have me do?
Ons and Offs
RPs Desired

Caution when handling: Reacts violently when exposed to stupidity...

Jeramiahh

Right now, I'm looking for characters, ready to play, effectively. Design a character of 6th level, provided in the rules linked a few times in the thread; for the mid-level game, there's no restriction on which type you could play, human or Shinigami, though take note that the rules for the non-Quincy humans aren't entirely finished, and will require some discussion with me to flesh out entirely.

Serenity Vixen

Sorry Jera, I slipped back in my health problems, so it may be awhile before I can concentrate well enough to make a character. I really want to play this game, but my mind is...

Not working at the moment, sorry :(

I will try to get it going as soon as possible

Ryvaken

My Quincy of Doom has been completed. Behold my masterpiece! *tadaa*
In creativity, meaning.

Brandon

All I need to know is what level to make my Shinigami and the hallows wont stand a chance!
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play