[DnD 5E] Out of the Abyss

Started by Premier, March 19, 2016, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier

Deep beneath the world likes the Underdark, a realm of endless labyrinthine tunnels where the sun never shines. The creatures that dwell there are as numerous and varied as the lands above, but most have head of the Drow, the dark skinned elves who raid the surface and take away prisoners to their City of Spiders, never to be heard from again.

Whether caught in a raiding ambush, sold by an unscrupulous friend (Who probably isn't a friend anymore) or just unlucky enough to fall into the Underdark and be caught while wandering through the unending dark by Drow roping down on lines of spider silk from the air, you now all find yourself taken prisoner by a small warband of Drow. Shepherded to the Outpost of Velkynvelve, built into the stalactites of a massive so high the ground below is not even visible and joined by webs spun by giant spiders that the Drow keep as pets. You were told to get used to your Slavery, for once you reach the City of Spiders you will be a servant or meat for the fight pits.

Neither sounds very appealing.  Escaping the Underdark will take charm, grit, some hastily made friendships and more than a little luck but there's got to be a way back to the light above somewhere.

Out of the Abyss is a game for 4-5 players of level 1 characters, using the ability score point cost method with 27 points to spend. A bit of background would be nice but you don't have to go all out because just like everyone else you will be starting in captivity in the Underdark, so most of the above surface stuff won't come into play. All characters must be from the surface, the Underdark is to be a strange place you've little familiarity with.

While you won't be starting with your equipment it will be somewhere out there, so make sure to note it down.

Also roll 1d10 for the number of days you've been in the Underdark already. Then roll a 1d20 just for me! You'll find out what that's about when you begin.

It's not first come first serve, I'll do a little fiddling to put together a party that might actually survive this! Will be in the Bondage section when we go because really with all these Spider overtones it's going to be a thing at some point surely.

Blythe

I'm incredibly interested!

Would you prefer sheets be posted here or PMed to you?

Revelation

I too would be interested, possibly playing a fighter or perhaps a paladin, something meaty for the front lines. Gonna mull it over for a bit before I work on it firmly.

freeko

I have a cleric that was made for a game that does not seem to be actually running. I would easily be able to port that over to this though I would need to know if Variant Humans are allowed. I would post the sheet, but I think I will just clone the sheet, give her a different name and then put it up for consideration in this game.

Let me know what you think about it so I can get to working on porting the sheet over to this point build. I think the other game used a fixed build that had 35 points. Should not be difficult to switch over to the more traditional 27 points however.

Premier

I'm very new to this system, so I'd like it if people stuck to books and mentioned if they're using any outside of the main ones or Forgotten Realms.

Sheets here are fine, it's not like there's a big call for secrecy among you.

Blythe

I think I'm going to whip up a tiefling ranger of some sort. ^^

ShadowFox89

Looking at running a wood elf rogue.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

freeko

Quote from: Premier on March 19, 2016, 09:24:31 PM
Sheets here are fine, it's not like there's a big call for secrecy among you.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=755422

That's my cleric. I think I got all of it right but I have not actually played 5E ever so I reserve the right for something to just be flatly wrong somewhere or somehow.

Revelation

I'd be happy to help new players work out their characters as well if anyone wants or needs help.

Anteros

I'm very interested. I'd probably play a druid or bard.

Here are the rolls you asked for:

Six days in th UnderdarkAt 2016-03-20 00:22:03, Anteros (uid: 1787) rolls: 1d10 Result: 6
Twelve on the mystery rollAt 2016-03-20 00:22:59, Anteros (uid: 1787) rolls: 1d20 Result: 12
ONS & OFFS: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14923.0

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Guancyto

Consider interest greatly expressed!

As we discussed, a most likely a paladin of some sort! Whether it'll be an old guy or a tiny ferocious halfling I haven't decided

rolls are 2 days in the Underdark, and a 12 on the d20

https://elliquiy.com/forums/dicebot.php?r=86676
https://elliquiy.com/forums/dicebot.php?r=86677
(accidentally left in a +4 on the dicebot, but the raw rolls are displayed!)

Blythe

I think I'll withdraw my interest; there are a lot of people who'd like to play, and I'll leave them a better chance to play!

Happy gaming! ^^

Mysterica

I've wanted a chance to try 5e so I can actually get at least a little use out of the players handbook I bought here a while back. I think I'd like to roll up an elven ranger, but for the moment I need to get some sleep so I won't be totally useless at work tomorrow.  But before I go I will roll the dice you requested.

At 2016-03-19 23:53:19, Tear (uid: 6410) rolls: 1d10 Result: 8
8 days in the underdark
At 2016-03-19 23:53:30, Tear (uid: 6410) rolls: 1d20 Result: 20
And a 20... something makes me guess either really cool or really unfortunate... at any rate off to sleepy times.

freeko

Quinz128

Sooo, i haven't managed to play a 5e game yet, but have been waiting for some version of D&D/Pathfinder to come out and see if a Kobold Sorcorer be a possible addition. Could be useful having something that knows how the underground words, and didn't see any dwarves requested, nor any arcane casters. I admit, though, if a paladin is chosen in a party with a kobold things could get really messy and/or really fun. (Will wait until a confirmation or denial on that before rolling up stuff.)

Just as a note the stats I'd use for the Kobold (Which I think is in the DMG for 5e) would be as follows, if accepted:
    Ability Score Adjustments: -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity
    Size: Small
    Speed: Base walking speed 30 ft.
    Darkvision 60 ft.
    Sunlight Sensitivity: You have disadvantage on attack rolls and o Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
    Pack Tactics: The kobold has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the kobold’s allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.
    Languages: Common and Draconic

Revelation

So in short, here are the big options i'm thinking of. Mostly spitballing and seeing what other potential players might think would work best in the group so far, since I like hearing opinions.

1) Fighter, spear user or perhaps an archer, a bit more armored and direct than a ranger. Probably a soldier/scout who was captured where the rest of his squad lost him in a fight.

2) Paladin - Not sure on oath yet, but wanting to at least act as some shining light in this dark hour. Sword and shield or two handed weapon.

3) Barbarian - tough as nails, goodish in the wilds, how would one fair in the underdark?

D20 roll: 4

D10 roll: 5

DeviantMunster

I'd like to place interest in the one system I know fairly well!
Or maybe not.

If there's room I'd love to join! I'd think... hrm. Wizard, probably? Unless someone else is going that.

Out of curiosity... And should I be able to join... Do you want a solid combat party? Or building, say, a wizard with high wisdom or charisma be alright?
Edit:
Hrm hrm, or maybe warlock?

Premier

There's gonna be a fair bit of combat and while some of it can be charmed through bringing a useful character is only polite to others. If you want a charmy spellcaster there's always Sorcerer!

Quote from: Quinz128 on March 20, 2016, 01:32:04 AM
Sooo, i haven't managed to play a 5e game yet, but have been waiting for some version of D&D/Pathfinder to come out and see if a Kobold Sorcorer be a possible addition. Could be useful having something that knows how the underground words, and didn't see any dwarves requested, nor any arcane casters. I admit, though, if a paladin is chosen in a party with a kobold things could get really messy and/or really fun. (Will wait until a confirmation or denial on that before rolling up stuff.)

We're almost certainly going to have a Paladin, but tough times mean making weird alliances so it might not be as bad as you think!

DeviantMunster

I have to say, pack tactics seems a little...
Hrm. S-strong!

Didn't see the Kobold Sorceror comment, so hrm, hrm!
Wizards can be enough different because they can pick 'fun' spells, but if combat is a major focus...

Perhaps Warlock then?

Tamhansen

I'd like to propose Edgar Rogers, dilletante noble and musical phenomenon. Also, not to bad with a dagger or crossbow if need be. character sheet including his backstory.

dicerolls
86701   Noone or Anyone   2016-03-20 06:50:56   At 2016-03-20 06:50:56, Katataban (uid: 25286) rolls: 1d10 Result: 6
 86702   Noone or Anyone   2016-03-20 06:56:39   At 2016-03-20 06:56:39, Katataban (uid: 25286) rolls: 1d20 Result: 18
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

freeko

I guess it is only fair to mention this since I am making it clear for clarity's sake. I have a planned vacation that will be anything but a vacation upcoming. I have a convention next weekend followed by a business trip to Reno and another convention during the next weekend. I should be able to semi-regularly pop in to post but I will not be as available as normal and that bothers me to not at least say something beforehand.

I'll pop on as I can but with conventions being what they are the internet is generally terrible at best while I am on site. I should have a few points during the week where I can pop on, so it should not be a concern but I would rather be forward about things than assume I will not have problems and then I end up being completely unable to post through the whole of the weekend.

So, what do I win for having the lowest rolls out of everyone?

Mysterica

Well fuck...  I was going to hash out a little bit of character before work but now I can't seem to find my 5e handbook.  Must have been misplaced when I moved, I just haven't had much reason to go looking for it I guess.  I'll find it I'm sure (I hope much expensive book to lose) but I have to leave for work soon.

Thais

What you see is what you get: a heart of an Angel and the mind of a Devil
I am looking for a creative and imaginative female player. I am openminded, creative and imaginative as well
I love to research, plot and plan and I want to engage in cooperative brainstorms with you
I'm available on Discord. Please feel free to connect  thaisdk#4077