Fairy Tales or Superheroes...Why Not BOTH? (Still Accepting Characters)

Started by Mathim, November 08, 2017, 11:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fury Aphrodisia

I tried searching Avengers, Grimm and Avengers Grimm, and wow... there's just... so many results.

I'm still trying to dig through them all, but if someone can nab it faster, all the better. It was last October, wasn't it?

Edit: Yes! Yea yea yea yea! Wunderbar. Thank you, Quill!
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Fury Aphrodisia

Mathim, you're good if I just C/V?

Edit: Alright, in the interest of begging forgiveness....

Player Name: Fury Aphrodesia
Character Name/Identity: Kitaka Tori (Kit)/ The Fox
Tale(s) of Origin: Are you kidding  me? Kit the Kitsune gets no credit.
Alignment: Chaotic undecided
Abilities:
Shapeshifting - Any fox worth her salt can shift between the human and the canidae forms.
Foxfire - Like a squid's ink, a fox can put up a wall of flame when being pursued or cornered. They can also launch fire, or simply leave a trail of it in their wake. This mild pyromancy only lasts a few seconds and burns much, much cooler than other fires. It's enough to begin a blaze, but on it's own, largely just a party trick. If left without fuel, the fire burns out a few seconds after flaring into life. Will burn the skin, but do little enough actual damage, other than causing a momentary flash of pain.
Illusions- Able to conjure minor glamours and illusions of various sorts, the fox is most easily able to change it's own appearance-related traits, but has been known to disguise people, objects and even buildings if need be. This seriously exhausts the fox, however.

Skills: Trickery of all sorts is open to the fox-folk, and as such there are very few deceptions they cannot see through to some extent. While mental and physical trickery is rarely so effective on them as on others, emotional manipulations aren't outside the realm of possibility. As a gifted runner, the preparations, natural flight patterns and crafty tricks of hiding and seeking are a special forte for Kit.

Backstory: The stories of Kitsune range far and wide in these modern eras, and just a little too late. Once upon a time, the land was filled with them, ready to spill over into neighbouring territories at the first sign of international acceptance, but by the time that cue came, there were few Kitsune left at all.

The hide of a kitsune are said to bring good fortune on those who have taken it, and naturally removes the Kitsune from being able to contribute to the gene pool any longer. Throughout history, the hides of foxes have been taken to ensure the good luck of the hunter and the decimation of her people. As far as she knows, Kit is the last Kitsune.

Kitaka isn't her original name - that name has long past into history. Instead, she has changed it many times in the almost four-hundred years she has been on this planet. She is the proud owner of three lovely tails, though she generally keeps these hidden and for good reason. A few hundred years ago, stories of her trickery and exploits began to surface in the form of tales that, thankfully, botched her description in every possible way. Sometimes she was merely a talking fox, or sometimes she was male. Sometimes she was the nobility of some foreign land, sometimes she managed to trick others into believing that she was one of their own. Very few people know that the reason for her frustration and her overall bad attitude is that she's sick of being blamed as a malicious trickster when it's really the fault of the people who didn't listen to her, after all.

She falls under neither category, neither Inari nor Yako, which made her an outcast even before the hunting of Kitsune hunted them nearly to extinction. These days, she is obsessed with hiding in the shadows, watching the unfolding of human history and still can't help but to stick out a paw and leave little riddles here and there. Let the clever save themselves and she assuage her guilt by doing the least she possibly can. It's not her fault if they don't listen, if they get themselves killed.

Not her fault, damnit!

The struggles of others of her caliber mean very little to her, insofar as they often fail to address what's in it for her. Confident in her ability to disappear at a moment's notice and evade capture as long as it takes, she thinks of herself as a powerful ally for any and secretly wonders to what lengths each faction would go in order to gain her loyalties.

Personality: Friends and strangers and enemies are all alike to Kit. They're all part of the workings of a society that helped to cast her out, and her bitterness won't let her leave those feelings behind. The whole world owes her, as far as she's concerned, and she'll take contributions to that price from anyone who crosses her path. Only once your part of the debt is paid does she consider them to be on equal footing, even though her deepest core still has some soft and pliant parts that will yield to circumstances. Children are a special interest to Kit, and she will easily get close to them, but once the wonder of the world has faded from their eyes, she fears that all humans become inherently alike. She's got a chip on her shoulder, and it's pretty damned heavy.

Orientation: All? None? Being unable to nail down her gender, her form, her breed, it's not surprising the stories have failed entirely to pass on her sexuality. Unbeknownst to most, she's largely heterosexual. But she's not above indulging her curiosity, either.

Appearance (please identify face claims where possible):

Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Angie

I have an inkling that the Big Bad Wolf may actually...prefer the heroic side. I've already established him as wanting to give people a chance to overcome fear, and Rumple's plan will result in a lot of dead folks that AREN'T afraid because, well, they're dead. "Death is bad for business. Yes I know I wanted to eat Red over there, but that was because she went into the woods where a monster was and needed to be eaten or else people would stop being afraid. And yes, that didn't pan out that way. But I don't want people dead, I want them afraid, and I can't do that if they're dead."
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

LamentingQuill

This all okay, Mathim?

Player Name: LamentingQuill
Character Name/Identity: Snow White
Tale of Origin: Snow White and the Seven Drawfs
Alignment: Lawful good
Ability(ies):

Song- When she sings, her voice is lovely and enchanting that animals of all kinds are drawn to her presence she can then request of them to her. However the animals in question cannot be any more than a mile distance away or they will not hear her sing.

Animal speech- Snow White can understand what animals are saying. Insects, aquatic denizens and reptiles are harder to understand than mammals, she has no idea why.

Daggers- All the dagger and knife lessons the huntsman gave her make Snow White no helpless damsel. She is lethal in a dagger/knife fight.

Agility- Snow White is swift and agile on her feet, years of training and practice has made speed and grace as natural as breathing to the fair princess.

Weaknesses: Insomnia- After the sleeping curse cast upon her by her stepmother, Snow White doesn't have such an easy time sleeping anymore, always terrified she will be trapped in the world of sleep once again. She gets sleep, just probably not as much as she should be getting.

Personality:

To friends- Snow White is gentle and kind to those close enough to her to be called her friend, her compassion and capacity for love are limitless, there is no lengths she won't go to in order to lift the spirits of or protect her loved ones.

Having experienced the loss of loved ones before, Snow White is highly, highly protective, she refuses to ever again risk something happening to anyone she cares about ever again, she will not hesitate to act if there no other possible non-violent alternative.

A lover of nature and animals, Snow White adores to spend most of her times in the royal gardens and the edges of the nearby forest to be with her animal friends.

To enemies (evil individuals)- Snow White will not tolerate the dark of heart, she will not suffer their wickedness or allow them to do harm to anyone around her if she had the breath left in her to do something about it. She could be open to helping a willing individual reform, but she would be highly suspicious until she knows for certain whether or not it's real.

For the truly wicked, Snow White would be ruthless and determined to stop them before they could harm any  more good innocent people than they may already have.

To strangers- Having experienced what happens when you too readily completely trust a stranger, Snow White has logically become a little bit more stand offish than she used to be, though she is not quite to the point of cold or stoic. She would simply be very cautious, though polite and willing to be convinced of ones trustworthiness.

History and Backstory:

Lovely Snow White, so beautiful that she earned the deep seeded hatred of her vain stepmother... something that would alter Snow White's life forever.

She always suspected her stepmother had something to do with it when her father suddenly fell ill and died, the woman struck her as too power hungry and ambitious, not to mention that she never really showed her father the tender love she always felt should be present in a marriage...

Her suspicions of her stepmother proved correct when the woman ordered her huntsman to take her out deep into the forest and carve out her heart, all because the queen's magic mirror declared Snow White to be the fairest of all maidens... taking from the queen her coveted desire to rule as the most beautiful woman in all the land...

However, once they were deep in the forest and the huntsman raised his dagger, his heart swelled with all the tender affection from watching this sweet young woman grow up and he realized... he could not do this...
Instead, he told the princess everything and together they devised a plan, he would carve out the heart of boar and take it back to the queen and Snow White would be free to escape and live her life wherever she so chose. The huntsman even took the time to return the forest several times to give Snow White lessons in using daggers to their fullest potential, ensuring the princess at least stood a chance in this world at defending herself.

However, this was not clever enough to evade the wicked queen... with the help of the magic mirror, the queen discovered the heart brought before her was not that of Snow White, but the heart of a pig! She had been tricked!
The queen had the huntsman executed for his treachery and immediately put plans in motion to take care of the lovely Snow White herself.

Three times she tried, first with an enchanted sash that nearly squeezed Snow White to death before her seven small friends arrived to cut it off of her, the second time was poison comb that drugged the princess into a slumber, but again her dwarf friends arrived home just in time to pull the comb from her hair before it was too late. Finally, deciding play time was over, the queen poisoned an apple and disquised herself as a frail kindly old woman whom was lost in the woods.

Snow White, with her kind and tender heart, was sympathetic to what she thought was a frightened old woman and invited her inside, accepting the old woman's offer to split one of the apple's in her basket in thanks for the kind hopsitality in her moment of fear.
Far too trusting, Snow White bit into the apple and immediately fell into a death-like sleep, a sleep so deep that the dwarves would believe she was truly dead, the princess would likely starve to death before anyone discovered the truth.

Satisfied with her work, the queen left the dwarves cottage just in time to hide around back as the dwarves were arriving home from the mine, their wails of despair filling the cottage as they believed their beloved princess was truly struck down this time by her jealous stepmother.
Enraged, the dwarves immediately left the cottage and soon found the disguised queen hunched down behind their cottage, she stood no chance against the angry dwarves as they turned their pick axes upon her in vengeance for their precious Snow White.

The dwarves then set to work constructing a gorgeous crystal coffin worthy of their sweet friend, laying her to rest in her favorite wild flower filled clearing deep in the forest, where they could visit her every single day after work.
Days passed and then a miracle happened, a handsome prince by the name of Florian was riding through the forest when he spotted Snow White's glittering crystal coffin, seven drawves knelt in front of it in mourning.

The prince slid down from his horse and approached, mesmerized by the breathtaking young beauty within, his heart broke as the dwarves explained to the prince what had happened to the beautiful maiden.
He made a single request to the dwarves, that he should be able to send the lovely princess off to the hereafter with a kiss of love, for his heart had been captured.

Deciding it couldn't hurt to grant the prince his request, the dwarves opened up the lid to Snow White's crystal resting place and allowed him to approach and say his sweet goodbye.
However... the moment the prince's lips touched the cool lips of Snow White, a soft warm breeze swirled around the clearing and Snow White's eyelids slowly fluttered open, a gentle smile curving her lips... standing above her was the prince from the dreams she'd had in this cursed sleep... he had come after all to save her...

Snow White and her prince were immediately married, no couple in all the land was happier or more in love... but this beautiful romance... it was not to last...

Her beloved husband and king, her sweet Florian... he was slain in battle against a risen foe by the name of Rumplestilskin... leaving the young queen with a deep ache in her heart and thirst for vengeance! She would accept nothing less than Rumple's head rolling across the ground, just like he'd done to her darling Florian...

Sexual Stuff: I am totally on board to have Snow White enter into a new romance, her wounded heart could use some healing that can only come from love.

My big no no's are all included in my o/o's in the link on my signature, along with my on's.

Snow White is heterosexual and is not open to threesomes, she's a one man only commitment type of girl.

Story-Related Suggestions: I'd love to see the attraction to Snow White that Rumple had in the movie, but it's by no means a requirement, I can totally live without it, would simply be fun is all.

Appearance (please identify face claims where possible): Kristen Kreuk

Mathim

Quote from: Angie on November 15, 2017, 01:11:00 AM
I have an inkling that the Big Bad Wolf may actually...prefer the heroic side. I've already established him as wanting to give people a chance to overcome fear, and Rumple's plan will result in a lot of dead folks that AREN'T afraid because, well, they're dead. "Death is bad for business. Yes I know I wanted to eat Red over there, but that was because she went into the woods where a monster was and needed to be eaten or else people would stop being afraid. And yes, that didn't pan out that way. But I don't want people dead, I want them afraid, and I can't do that if they're dead."

That's absolutely fine, there's no reason why most characters who were good or evil in their original tales can't have a change of heart in this version. These are alternative interpretations anyway, they can be gender-bent, differently aged, however you want to represent them is totally up to you.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheHangedOne

I think alternative interpretations can be fun to play; making the character into your own, you know? It's what I did with Cu Chulainn. I kept mostly faithful to the myths, but made some major deviations, too.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Mathim

Well, not every character is tailored to have the potential for superpowers, so some characters NEED to have a major overhaul to make it workable. Too many damsels in distress require a kick-ass way of breaking out of that mold.

I put up the character profiles thread and the OOC thread in the first post (in bold) of this recruitment thread, so everyone feel free to paste your submitted profiles there so that everyone playing can have an easier time keeping track of who-all is who (and so you can freely edit them at your leisure), and then head to the OOC thread for even more wacky fun, and I should be able to get the IC thread up by tonight after work.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Fury Aphrodisia

Mathim

Hey, you guys have put in your fair share too, I should be thanking you all. It's not possible to make a game like this work without all of you, after all.

Okay, got the IC thread up (link is in first post of this thread), with a good starting place for everyone to jump in wherever they wish. Let me go dig up my old Rumplestiltskin character sheet and set up a posting format for everyone to follow for ease of communication and understanding.

If your profile is incomplete, please fill them in completely so we can see if they're a good fit, otherwise I'll see them in the Character Profiles thread.

LamentingQuill

Mathim

How does something with fairy tales and superheroes fail to get more attention each time? It's always roughly the same number of people no matter how long it is between attempts to get it started.

A Painter

I'd like to use the Ibong Adarna, if that's alright.
Of course I will change the thing about the poop in particular changing people to stone. Maybe I'll change it in to a touch spell that takes some time. Maybe about a minute of undisturbed contact to make the transformation take place at all?

Unless you guys want to be pooped on.

Mathim

If you want to submit a profile and change the backstory however you like to fit your character into this version of the fairy tale world, by all means, we'd love to have you on board.

A Painter

Player Name: A Painter
Character Name/Identity: Ibong Adarna, aka Adarna
Tale(s) of Origin: Alamat ng Ibong Adarna (The Legend of the Ibong Adarna)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral, leans towards Good
Abilities:
-Flight: Adarna is very light and her wings cary her with ease. Her movements are silent, graceful and quick, but cannot take heavy hits in combat.
-Enchanting Voice: The statement that the songs of the Ibong Adarna are magical can be taken both figuratively and literally. Adarna has a magnificent voice, but they are how she casts mass enchanting spells. The range of its effects can vary from healing, petrification, and sleep. All those who hear her song are affected, but will recover within the hour.
Healing songs are limited to diseases and nothing else.
-Touch Spells: With her touch the effects of her enchanting magic are extremely concentrated. If she wills it its effects can be permanent. The spell will need to be lifted by Adarna herself or broken by another powerful spell caster.
When it comes to healing, the healing touch of the Ibong Adarna can mend fatal wounds but cannot bring back the dead.
-Invisibility: The Ibong Adarna is nothing if not elusive. She does not advertise this skill and waits until she is out of sight before activating this particular power.  Only her oldest and truest friends know of this ability. How else has has she gone so long without being permanently enslaved?

Skills:
-Charisma: The Ibong Adarna is both pretty and loveable. Her free-spirited nature, infectious energy, and optimism earn her many friends and admirers. She’s been known to collect favors in exchange for her services which she cashes out whenever she is in need. There’s also something about her that makes people want to help her.
-Stealth: When fighting is out of the question, the ability to hide becomes necessary.
-Performance: Adarna is a natural on stage. She specialises in singing and dancing, but can act as well.

Weaknesses:
-Combat: The Ibong Adarna is not a fighter. She relies solely on her magic and cunning to survive. Those favors she collects don’t hurt either.

Backstory:
The Ibong Adarna is a powerful magical being that wanders across Asia and occasionally the neighboring continents. She simply enjoys nature, freedom and existence outside the petty squabbles within the kingdoms of man and magic. She has been sought out by many mortals so that her songs may heal their ills or loved ones, but only a fraction of those have been successful in their attempts to find her.

However, of that fraction there have been a handful of them who managed to captured and briefly enslave her. This fraction consisted of both mortals and beings of magic, and all had motivations ranging from evil to ’noble’. As such she has very little loyalty for any one side. She picks and chooses her friends with care, and never stays in one place for too long.

One of the best known tales about the Ibong Adarna is also a tale of one such enslavement. It started when a beloved king fell victim to an illness incurable by mortal medicine, and his three sons set off to find the Ibong Adarna. Adarna knew of this king was beloved by his people, but was also aware that his sons did not follow in their father’s footsteps. She and a fae set up a test for the hearts of the questing sons. The fae disguised herself as a filthy, starving beggar at the foot of a the mountain the Adarna was waiting in. There the fae would beg the princes for help. The first two sons were unworthy. One was arrogant and selfish, one only searching for glory, and both rejected and even hurt the fae.  As punishment they were both put to sleep and turned to stone by the Ibong Adarna.
The youngest prince had a good heart, and the grateful fae told him how to avoid his brother’s fate. The young man had passed the test and the Adarna reversed her spells and traveled back with the young prince. The king was healed and the kingdom was able to rest easy.
The folk tale ends there, but the Ibong Adarna’s life with this royal family was only beginning. The youngest son had promised the Adarna she was free after healing their father. The youngest son also told his brothers how he had managed to succeed in his quest, giving his brothers the weaknesses of the Adarna.
After she had healed the king the brothers separated the Adarna and the rest of the court, then gagged and bound her. The two brothers then hatched a plan to take over the kingdom. They overthrew their father and murdered their youngest brother. Majority of the twenty years she spent as their servant were spent shackled inside a deep, dark cave far away from the sun. In exchange for being able to look at sky she longed for, the Adarna would use her magic to prolong their lives and destroy their enemies. 

She only managed to escape after the two brothers turned on each other. In all the chaos there was an attempt to steal her from the brothers and she managed to slip away.

These days she travels alone, and does not share her gifts or identity so easily. These travels have made her familiar with Rumplestiltskin’s plans. While she does not look favourably upon him and his plot, she is not about to run headlong in to a war. Adarna knows she is no fighter and is afraid she will end up as Rumplestiltksin’s pawn and prisoner.
Personality:
Adarna is spontaneous, empathetic, charming and energetic, making her a great addition to any group and party. All this and her enjoyment for laughter hide how jaded and distrusting she actually is. She is constantly watching out for signs that those around her will turn on her, and she’s always looking for an excuse to be free from any for of commitment or ties. 
She was kind and generous once, she remembers that. But a couple of lifetimes worth of captivity have a way of hardening someone's heart.

The one thing she cannot turn a blind eye to are enslavement, something she feels she has experienced more than any being, mortal or immortal, should.
Orientation: Bisexual. o&o's
Appearance:

A Painter

Ok, so I wrote that when I was drunk SO I may need to go over it later tonight if I can find the time. Sorry in advanced if there's anything weird or really off!

Mathim

Quote from: A Painter on November 29, 2017, 09:13:18 PM
Ok, so I wrote that when I was drunk SO I may need to go over it later tonight if I can find the time. Sorry in advanced if there's anything weird or really off!

Well, I'm somewhat drunk while I'm reading it, so we're even. LOL. No worries, just let me know if you're satisfied with the finished product and we'll go from there.

A Painter

Okay, it needed a bit of tweaking, but I think I got a springboard I'm happy with! Haha!

Mathim

Whenever you're ready, then, go ahead and post the profile in the Character Profiles thread, the link is on the first page here, as well as the OOC and IC threads. Feel free to jump into either one whenever you feel like it's a good time to.

Chaosfox

I have seen you post this in the past. Do not remember if I  said anything but it does look interesting......  So many options I will sift through some stuff and try and decide on a character.
There is no Order only Chaos and all the joys that it brings. 
This way too On's and Off's

Mathim

Quote from: Chaosfox on December 01, 2017, 09:26:03 AM
I have seen you post this in the past. Do not remember if I  said anything but it does look interesting......  So many options I will sift through some stuff and try and decide on a character.

I actually compiled a list of all the players or folks who have just displayed interest during the last 3 or 4 attempts at this game, and your name wasn't on it, so you probably didn't get to the point of volunteering your curiosity before, but were among the number of views. I know most of the people this time around were in it during previous efforts but I'll be able to add a few new names to the list. I just never got around to sending out a mass PM to everyone who was part of it before to see if they wanted to come back. I might use that approach the next time to see if I can generate a lot more interest in a shorter time span.

Levi

A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

Mathim

Unfortunately the game has been inactive for a couple of weeks now, so when I get around to giving it another go, I'll let you know via PM, maybe get a bigger list compiled and do a mass invite to help get more characters in play from the beginning.

Levi

Quote from: Mathim on January 29, 2018, 08:41:23 PM
Unfortunately the game has been inactive for a couple of weeks now, so when I get around to giving it another go, I'll let you know via PM, maybe get a bigger list compiled and do a mass invite to help get more characters in play from the beginning.

Ok, thanks for letting me know.
A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated