New Hope - A Sci-Fi Story (Characters Needed)

Started by MagicalPen, July 11, 2013, 08:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

Everything went weightless for a moment as the New Hope Colony Ship fell out of Hyper-Drive, slowing down rapidly. Something had gone terribly wrong.

The Emergency Lighting System was activated, casting a pallid red glow down every corridor and ever room. A siren wailed, high pitched, reverberating down metallic walls. An Automated Voice still managed to be heard, a calm sounding woman though clearly an AI.

"Please do not panic. Proceed to the nearest Escape Pod. Please remain Calm. Proceed to the Nearest Escape Pod. Please do no panic..." An endless loop, playing over and over again.

There was nothing else to do but move to the nearest escape pod. People were starting to panic, confused by what was going on. Hyperdrive was supposed to be the safe, fast way to travel. They were all Colonists too, seeking a new life on a recently discovered planet on the fringes of the known universe. It would be tough, at first, it always was, but every one of them was determined. But now all those plans had been thrown out of the window.

Already, pods were jettisoning from the ship. But some exploded shortly after launch. The ship had clearly been damaged along with some of the pods. An explosion in the engine room rocked the ship, sending its straight trajectory off balance, starting to spiral the large ship out of control.

Time to go!

Looking for a group of dedicated players. Males play as Males, Females play as Females.

Characters can be of just about all walks off life - people who would have been chosen due to their skill-set to colonize a new planet, along with young couples yet to have children and young families.

If the above interests you, please contact me via PM with the following character sheet filled out:

[b]IMAGE[/b]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Occupation:[/b]
[b]Background:[/b] Why were you selected for the Colonist Ship?
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Additional Information and Notes:[/b]

Some Background Information for Character Creation:

-New Hope Colony Ship is owned and funded by the Federation (IE. Government)
-All Military Personnel will be Soldiers of the Federation (Federation Corps, Federation Navy, Federation Marines, Federation MPs, etc) - those of Rank will have either been Selected or Volunteered for the job, those of no-Rank will likely have volunteered for the job (higher pay grade, fresh start, being the Perks)
-No Mercs on board this ship - signing your life away to a new Colony is not something Mercs want to do (kinda kills the reason of being a Merc)
-Scientists, Medical Staff, Engineers, Biologists, Machinists, Farmers, etc will all be on board.

-The Federation, The Free Colonies, The Mars Trinity - these are the 3 major 'Empires' of the Universe. If your character is from either of the latter two, s/he would have to have gone through higher levels of security and background checks before being selected over some one from the Federation for the Colonist Ship.

This game has the potential to fill the EX Category.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Siereis

I like the sounds of this and I certainly need a good sci-fi RP in my line up.  A few questions though:

- What sort of overall plot do you see this having?  Or will it be entirely sandbox based?
- Seeing as the colonists are crash landing, roughly how much technology will be at their disposal?
- How many players are you looking to recruit?

I'll delete this question post if you would like (seeing as how you asked for PMs)

MagicalPen

All reasonable questions.

-Survival would be the best term. Think of crash landing on a completely unknown planet, with no idea what is out there.
-Technology will have to be scavenged from the crash site(s) of the main ship. Otherwise, only what the player has on their body or in the escape pod. Think of a Mass Effect sort of universe in regards to technology (minus the Psionics etc).
-A small group, perhaps 4 - 6 players depending on interest.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Wicked Vixen

I would like to be a part of this RP
The three sexiest things ever said...

"I believe that whatever doesn't kill you..simply makes you.......Stranger...."

"You see, madness, as you know....,is like gravity.....All it takes is a little push......"

"Since distance equals velocity times time, let's let velocity and time approach infinity, because I want to go all the way with you."

mj2002

I remain interested in this idea. Ill be able to post proper replies in a few days. Can I use the character that I previously submitted?

Strifesblaze7

I am interested. Ill work on a sheet.
Is there a point where nobody cares

Doomglazer

also intredted in this RP will make a sheet asap

MagicalPen

Liking the response so far. Go ahead and start sending me character sheets so I can get a feel for the types of characters people want to play.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

Currently Accepted Characters

Character Name: Commander Konrad Roht

Occupation: Head of all Military and Security Personnel, Commander-in-Chief

Background: Konrad has never been to Earth. He has never had any desire to do so. World War 3 nearly destroyed Earth 300 years ago. Humankind has never looked back since then, so why should he? It is only special due to history - the birthplace of Humans. But he has been on several far more exotic and beautiful planets. He was born on Planet Sepik, a world mostly covered by a Jungle. He could well imagine what the first inhabitants of that planet had gone through - outside the climate controlled areas, the planet had been hot and humid, almost suffocating with its moisture and heat. Poisonous plants if you weren't careful, but many beneficial ones as well. Its where he had first gone through his military training at the age of 16. Two years of training in the Jungles of Sepik before finally getting off world.

The Military had always been Konrads destiny. He had always been fascinated with weapons and tactics, with the battle-ships and fighters of the Space Age. He had read much on military history, of heroic last stands and follies. His parents had always been skeptical, thinking he would outgrow his fascination with the Military and pick up after them - both Scientists studying the flora and fauna of Sepik Colony. But that was too docile for Konrad. He needed something bigger and better.

The Federation Corps was his ticket. Due to the advanced training due to conditions on Sepik Colony, he quickly excelled through the ranks, culminating in a battlefield promotion on some distant planet when his Squad Leader was killed. Pulling the survivors out of that hell hole had made the promotion permanent and Konrad's career was officially starting. Since then, he has participated in several campaigns, fighting Rebel Colonists and some of the break-away human groups that have forged their own Empires among the stars.

The Federation wants a good military presence on the New Hope Colony. Some one who can keep law and order as the colony goes through its growing pains. No easy task either, giving all the other difficulties that history has shown faces a new colony. A respected War Hero is just the person they're looking for and Konrad fits the bill exceedingly well. It comes with another promotion, higher pay, and absolute control of all Military and Security Operations, both on board the Colony Ship and once the Colony is created.

Personality: Konrad is a hard working man, highly intelligent and mostly friendly. He likes discipline and order and is not above punishing rule breakers. He carries out punishments based on the nature of the crime and past history and has long been known to whip a squad or platoon into shape within a few weeks.

Additional Information and Notes:

Character Name: Gwendolyn Esserton

Background:  Gwen's history is a very very simple one. She grew up in a small four person family with one older brother. They were a very close family, and would stick up for one another through anything. The family was perfect until her brother decided to leave and start his own life, when Gwen was 14. Ever since then she has been kind of a rebel, feeling like her brother betray her and left her, what did it matter what she did. With this kind of attitude she rebelled against many of the normal laws of the galaxy. Although she got into some bad things, reminded of them basically every day from her tattoos, she kept an astounding GPA through school. She excelled at math and science and thought about becoming a scientist, or something of the sort. She graduated college with superb grades as well and easily achieved her goal of receiving a PhD.

It wasn't easy for her to get back in shape, she went to a rehab clinic when she graduated at 17, and got out just before her 18th birthday. That is when she decided that she would focus on college. During college she changed rapidly into what her parents knew her to be before Ethan had left them. In any case, her dreams of becoming something important scattered as she volunteered on a mission trip to a poor nation and helped the children. Astounded by the fact that she became so close the children she came home to finish her PhD, because she was on course to do so. But, instead of going to be a scientist and such, she decided to teach. She really didn't want kids of her own, but loved to teach bright young new minds. Her parents were a little disappointed, but they still thought teaching was admirable, especially for Gwen and how moved she was by the children she got to teach.

She was a little surprised when she had the chance to go on this trip across the galaxy, but she was thrilled none the less. Everybody could use a teacher, and she was a great one at that. She not only taught well, she connected to the students and pushed them to Their full potential. She is excited for the trip, but sad to leave everybody behind. The farewells were hard and heartbreaking, but she knew she just had to do this. And so she did.

Personality:
Gwen has a very bubbly personality, rarely ever found not smiling. Only in extreme circumstances will you find her not happy. Optimistic should be her middle name, and she looks for an answer for everything. She never thinks twice about lending a hand to those in need, and never regrets helping some one out when they need it. Although bubbly and optimistic, she is very analytical about things, and is a great problem solver, something she prides herself on most of the time.

Additional Information and Notes:
She is mainly looking forward to helping new minds, and making new friends. It is kind of a start fresh for her, and she is optimistic about the journey that is to come.

Character Name: Chelsea Fuller

Background: Chelsea's life was one that started out pampered and continued to be that way up until she and her father were to embark on this colonial ship. For much of her childhood she has been surrounded by rich, influential people, security and everything she could ever want. Interestingly enough, the young Chelsea didn't ask for very much of anything except to be viewed as a regular, feet on the ground person with her own opinions and ideas rather than simply the daughter of a man that dabbled in multimillion dollar organizations and had friends of the same privilege.

Of course, she wasn't going to say no to the life that had been handed to her. Chelsea took full advantage of the leverage she had, taking the time to complete her high standard education, make rich, influential friends of her own before she headed off on her own to earn a degree in political science at a private university. As if he were inspired by his daughter's choice in major, Chelsea's father pursued a new career path in politics, earning himself a station within the government before he was given the chance to be part of a new beginning on another planet.

Chelsea resented the idea of going onto a giant ship for God knows how long at the start but she learned to embrace the idea after being persuaded by her father to join him. She acted as an unofficial adviser to him, providing a more human, unbiased perspective on many issues although she was never given the title. Chelsea didn't mind that at all, though, as it gave her a certain freedom within the colony to help wherever she pleased. This usually included standing around in the corridors for soldiers and scientists alike to take notice of her.

Personality: Being relatively spoiled in her young life, Chelsea sometimes finds it hard to relate to others on common, yet very important issues that affect the average man. That doesn't mean that she won't try, though. This approach is what she gives most everything that comes her way; she will take the time to think and assess before speaking or acting if it is warranted. Otherwise, Chelsea is fairly carefree and open to just about anyone, almost as if to spite her narrow-minded, headstrong father.

Although Chelsea was brought up to be prim and proper at every turn, she somehow deviated from that when she had attended college with more... liberal colleagues. With her peers, she is very relaxed and at home but can turn on the switch when the time calls for it. Many don't see the politically minded Chelsea very often and she'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Additional Information and Notes: Chelsea is on board the New Hope officially as her father's daughter. She has no real responsibilities but still likes to make herself useful, acting like a sort of ambassador for her father to the crew at times.

Character Name: Kairn Dozel
Background: He grew up in colonies, he did visit the space around Earth once but he was never allowed to go down. He was too young at the time and had to stay in the station above. As he grew up, he decided that he wanted to join the military, he stayed in great shape, showing a dedication beyond his years as he strove to pass the tests of the military life with more that just a little left to give. He avoided kids who made any sort of trouble to keep his record clean as well.

He wanted only to be viewed as a hard worker who was ready for anything that could be thrown at him. He joined the military as soon as he was able and dedicated himself to the life, not really allowing himself any kind of personal life outside of it. He threw himself into the life fully and rose through the ranks a bit faster than normal. Now he is 24 and has just signed his life away to go for the is colonization effort. He is looking to do something to help people and giving them a new world is something great to him.

He has a few reservations going into the mission, he doesn't want to have his life end without doing what he sat out to do and he sat out to give humanity a new world. He wants to do that by any means he can but he finds himself in a bit of turmoil, wondering how his life could have been had he focused on other things, like enjoying his life, or having friends or maybe even a relationship and one day a family.
Personality: Kairn is a hard worker who isn't obssessed with his job, he likes quiet time, he likes to help people and make new friends. He is amicable if a little quiet.
Additional Information and Notes: Has tattoos, will describe them later, and also has an old pocket watch that has become an heirloom

Character Name:Reah Depape

Background: Reah was never a very popular child. Growing up she was teased for her social awkwardness, for her small stature, and for her untamable mass of flaming red hair. She always had an affinity for plants. She enjoyed watching them grow, caring for them, and how they never had anything bad to say. Needless to say, this is what sparked her life’s passion. Due to her lack of social skills, her prowess in the classroom only benefited, and it earned her top marks in all of her classes. She graduated with high honors, and continued on to one of the most prestigious universities in the area. Her ability did not flag despite the substantially more difficult studies, however an ability to make friends still eluded her. By this time she had filled out, her mass of hair became a cascade of red locks, her small stature had become a tall, leggy body. She was pretty by most standards, but she took the shy glances from the males in her class as cruel. So she graduated from university, once again at the top of her class, friendless and boyfriendless.

If it hadn’t been for her substantial education, she perhaps would have never been able to obtain a job working for the Federation. But then again, social awkwardness was expected of squints, and really, that was all she was. She continued, dedicated to her work, and for the next four years was extremely successful. She discovered several plants on new planets which had incredible medicinal properties, and several more that were extremely noxious. She was well known for her field work, though the opportunities for such excursions were few. When the opportunity to join a colonist mission presented itself, she decided to take it. Having no real friends or family (rather, her family and her were never particularly close), the decision to leave was a fairly easy one. The chance to actually see a new planet, to learn about its plant life and see those plants in their natural environment instead of studying samples was something she desired more than anything.

Personality: Reah is socially awkward. She is a fairly gentle woman, passive and quiet. However, when she discusses botany her passion and confidence becomes clear.

Additional Information and Notes: Has an interesting scar on her left lower thigh. About 5 inches in diameter, it appears to be from a burn.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Revenent

I'm in, if you still have room. You have my keyboard.

Strifesblaze7

Okay, as I start on this, can I be military as well?

xRebecca

Would love to join. Are you still recruiting? :)
~Do I want to be with you as the years come and go?
Only forever if you care to know.
Would I grant all your wishes and be proud of the task?
Only forever if someone should ask.

~Even when I'm clumsy, I'll try to make it into something graceful.

MagicalPen

Yep. Still recruiting. Despite the apparent interest almost no one has sent in a character sheet.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Revenent

Hercinia

Hey there.

I'd be happy to add a character if you're still recruiting.

Veluux

I am interested. This sounds like something right up my alley.

I am watching you [you]...
From the darkest of shadows...

MagicalPen

Until I state otherwise, recruitment is still going on. Once I've accepted characters, you'll see their profiles posted here. So far, one person has sent me something.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Strifesblaze7

I am waiting for a question to be answered.

Hercinia

I'll send you a sheet tomorrow after work... grr, work.

Revenent

Oops, wait. I just noticed that you said you only want males to play as males and females to play as females in your first post. If that's actually the case, then I'm going to have to back out. It's not that I mind playing males at all or anything, but I just have a disagreement of principle here.

MagicalPen

Principles are principles - I have a set preference for certain things and understand that not everyone will agree with that. I don't think its much of a deal breaker, but to each his (or her) own.

I look forward to seeing the other profiles - there seems to be a bit of interest in this but a lack of character sheets so far. (I wish I didn't have to work either).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Revenent

Mainly, my issue is that it's putting limitations on people's freedoms, even for those who won't be romantically involved with your character at all, which is where I think such a limitation is perfectly justifiable. I can see why you wouldn't want your character sleeping with a woman controlled by another male, but why can't the woman your character just talks to sometimes be controlled by a male?

MagicalPen

Simply because it is my preference for Females to play Females and Males to play Males. I am not going to debate my preferences here. You're free to disagree with them, but this is a game recruitment thread and I'd prefer to keep it as such.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Strifesblaze7

Am I to assume the answer to my question is a no?

Revenent

My apologies. I just thought we could come to an agreement that would make me more comfortable with sticking with this RP, but I guess I'll go find something a little less focused on the GM's interests alone.