The Mamluk and his harem

Started by FromShadowlands, July 25, 2013, 09:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromShadowlands

The Mamluks were slave warriors during the dark ages that fought for the sultans of Egypt and Arabia. They were taken from other lands as children and raised to fight. The thought was that a sultan could trust them because they were not local. These guys got so powerful that for a long while they even overcame thier masters and ruled Egypt as sultan.

I want to do a story about a warrior born a slave who became a sultan. He has trusted warrior allies, wives and servants. He is a better warrior than a politician and ends up betrayed. He has to flee the city with what is left of his army and harem. For better or for worse they must work together to survive in a harsh world with few allies.

Now in terms of setting I could see lots of options. Obviously we could go historical. But we could also pick a fantasy setting with a game of thrones vibe. I even have notes on a more modern day criminal reality and a sci-fi planetary romance setting.

So I am not a huge fan of investing large time in world creation until I know I have a group of interested folks. This might look a little light on detail at the moment but I promise one we get this thing going the flood gates will open. I am not just looking for players but collaborators.

Possible character
Young harem wives (some are there for only thier looks, others are the daughters of past enemies)
Head wife (slightly older and the sultans first love)
Prince (the Sultans teenage son)
Mamluks (a small group of trusted fighters)
Advisor (a foreign man who helps the sultan)

If I get two or three interested we can build the world together, then I will GM and play the Sultan)

CarnivorousBunny

Tentatively interested, if I have enough time I will join this.

Interested in playing a Mamluk, who is secretly a cross-dressing female, pretends to be mute or is mute. 
But if that doesn't interest you I can always play a young harem wife.
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

FromShadowlands

I think that is a great character idea. I could see a lot of different interesting plot points that could build off that. Let's get a few more people then we can settle on setting and tone.

Don't worry about time. It's my hope that the pace for this game won't be too crazy.

LamentingQuill

I might be interested in playing the head wife, a young wife too if it helps speed things along.

FromShadowlands

That is great Quill! if you have two characters then we get started on this one. I bet as we get more details up more people would get involved. So I have four settings variations that I would love to do. Maybe you guys can help me narrow it down.

HISTORICAL: as close to the real history as possible. Most of the plot will take place in Cairo in the middle ages.

FANTASY: Set in a world that takes the best of Arabian Nights. Mostly human, some fantasy creatures like giant scorpions, Griffiths and iffrits.

MODERNISH: Set in an alternate reality where Christian culture did not thrive after middle ages. The game takes place in modern Cairo where gangs run the city and the slaves are from what is left of Europe.

SCI-FI: a planetary romance like John Carter that takes place in a cold desert planet filled with aliens and the slaves are abducted humans.

I am leaning towards either sci-fi or fantasy but will be able to build a complex world either way.

LamentingQuill

Quote from: FromShadowlands on July 26, 2013, 08:53:03 PM
That is great Quill! if you have two characters then we get started on this one. I bet as we get more details up more people would get involved. So I have four settings variations that I would love to do. Maybe you guys can help me narrow it down.

HISTORICAL: as close to the real history as possible. Most of the plot will take place in Cairo in the middle ages.

FANTASY: Set in a world that takes the best of Arabian Nights. Mostly human, some fantasy creatures like giant scorpions, Griffiths and iffrits.

MODERNISH: Set in an alternate reality where Christian culture did not thrive after middle ages. The game takes place in modern Cairo where gangs run the city and the slaves are from what is left of Europe.

SCI-FI: a planetary romance like John Carter that takes place in a cold desert planet filled with aliens and the slaves are abducted humans.

I am leaning towards either sci-fi or fantasy but will be able to build a complex world either way.

I unfortunately no longer have the time to participate. Sorry, hun.

FromShadowlands

Well stay. I love your writing, another time perhaps.

Harmony

I would be interested in playing one of the harem/wives specifically the daughter of a past enemy. Not sure if you had in mind her being resistant to the situation (was it forced?) or is she happily his wife? Either way let me know and I like the fantasy setting as well.

CarnivorousBunny

I like the fantasy genre as well :D
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

FromShadowlands

You could play the wife either way. If you want to see the more angry, rough version of the sultan than be resistant. Ok I am going to go with fantasy and put up a more focused, polished thread looking for a few more players.

Kimera

Might be interested, although no idea on what I want to play at the moment.

FromShadowlands

Here is the link for the more detailed intro. Hope you guys like it.