News:

Main Menu

Computer help...

Started by Combicon, November 03, 2009, 09:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combicon

[EDITED]
Read down to my next post on here to find out the new computer specs I'm getting.

Serephino

From what I can tell, it may be slightly over priced, but it isn't too bad.  It's scary how much I've learned living with a computer geek.  That's assuming dual ram means double, but if not you're getting ripped off on ram.  Well, you're still getting ripped off on Ram because I'm told Windows 7 reads 12GB, and 4 barely runs Aion. 

Zudiku

Quote from: Combicon on November 03, 2009, 09:16:24 PM
I'm buying a computer (or rather, getting one built), and my benchmark game is Crysis (specs can be found here

Anyways, these are the specs:

Processor: AMD PHENOM II X2 550 SOCKET AM3 (3.10GHz)
Ram: 2GB CORSAIR XMS2 DUAL-DDR2 800MHz
Motherboard: ASUS® M4N72-E: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA II, 2 x PCI-Ex, 2 x PCI
Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Hard disk: 250GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
CD thingie: 22x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER
Graphics card: 1792MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX295 PCI EXPRESS
Sound card: ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO
Case: COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER BLACK
Fan: 350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

For about £850 (USD -1,396  CND -1,488)

I just wanted to know two things;
a) Do you guys think this is a good deal?
b) I found the nvidia site really confusing when compairing the recomended specs of crysis with what I needed, is the one I chosen better? XD

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4621289&Sku=V133-79900

This PC is a few hundred dollars more expensive and also has triple the power that box you are looking at has. The procesor is kinda weak but its also caplable of being upgraded so you could take it to a PC shop and get a quad core put in it if you wanted to. Not ot mention you can always buy one and install it yourself but don't forget the thermal paste.

Thisi s exactly what I am upgradedm yo wn PC to since i am a serious gamer and to be honest the prosessor shouldn't be much of an issue with 12gigs of ram. Never hurts to have a better one but some things make up for others nicely.

To  be honest this box is probably over kill for Crysis but if your gonna pay alot you might as well get the best deal you can if there are better ones then this out there hopefully somebody can post a link to it for you :)

Specifications
   Condition:   New
   Lifestyle:   Gaming
   Operating Systems:   Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
   Startup Operating System:   Microsoft® Windows® Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
   Operating System Licenses Included:   Microsoft® Windows® Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
  Processor Brand:   Intel
   Processor Class:   Core i7
   Processor Number:   920
   Processor Speed:   2.66GHz
   Processor Interface:   FCLGA1366
   Additional Technologies:   HyperThreading Technology
    Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology
    Quad-Core Technology
   Memory Type:   DDR3
    Triple Channel
   Memory Size:   6 x 2GB
   Total Memory:   12GB
   Memory Speed:   DDR3-1333
   Memory Slots (Total):   6
   Memory Slots (Available):   0
   Maximum Memory Supported:   4.0GB - 32bit / 12.0GB - 64 bit
   Interface:   3.5" SATA II
   Capacity:   1TB
   Speed:   7,200RPM
   Optical Drive Type:   DVD±RW/RAM Dual Layer Lightscribe
   Optical Drive Class:   DVD±RW DL
   Communications Description:   Integrated LAN Support
   Interface Type:   RJ-45 - Ethernet Connector
   Data Transfer Rate:   10/100/1000Mbps LAN
   Power:   650 Watt

Morven

Given that the original poster mentioned prices in UK pounds, deals available on an American website aren't really all that useful—and it's hard for those of us outside the UK to know what's a good deal IN the UK, what with price differences.
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Zudiku

Quote from: Morven on November 04, 2009, 11:57:42 AM
Given that the original poster mentioned prices in UK pounds, deals available on an American website aren't really all that useful—and it's hard for those of us outside the UK to know what's a good deal IN the UK, what with price differences.

True I hadn't thought of that. She did say what she was paying is 1,396 USD but I'm not sure how to translate how much the price of the box I linked is in pounds. I was thinking in terms of if a box is 1.3k for a not so good box you'd wanna go pay the little extra for the good box. Not surei f there are deals like that in the UK.

Suppose the bottom line of what i was trying to say though was that the comp being looked at is not that great. But also not sure whats available in the UK either best you can do is shop around I guess and look for something better that you can afford :) The specifications on the box I linked could maybe be a guide for what is in a good box maybe. :)

HairyHeretic

For myself, if I was looking at that, I'd be looking for at least 4 gig of ram, a lot bigger hard drive, and probably a more powerful power supply.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Combicon

Yeah, I've changed my mind, mostly because I didn't like the website / reviews weren't good of it etc etc.
Now the one I'm buying from has a lot better reviews, and am getting:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 (4 x 2.66 GHZ) 1333FSB - 4 MB
ATI Radeon HD 4870 XXX - 1 GB - 2xDVI/VGA (XFX) (Includes 3D Mark Vantage)
1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 32MB
4GB PC-6400 800 MHZ (2 x 2 GB) (DDR2)
Motherboard Integrated 5.1 Sound
4 X USB 2.0 Ports
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
Cooler Master Elite 330
Samsung (S222A) DVD PLUS/-RW 22x Dual Layer - Black (IDE)
OCZ 600W Stealth XStream - Low Noise
Speeze QuadroFlow VIII - Low Noise
ASUS P5N-D S/L 1333FSB (NVIDIA 750i) [includes 2 free games...apparantly...]

Zudiku

That sounds like a much better box :)

Thats actually close to the first box I had so it outta run well.