Really, Teen Vogue? Thanks for being entirely dehumanizing ... yet again.

Started by desert ashes, July 09, 2010, 08:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desert ashes

Teen Vogue is calling GBFs (Gay Best Friends) the new must have accessory:

http://www.salon.com/life/broadsheet/2010/07/09/gay_best_friend

I'm trying not to be surprised that it's Teen Vogue being callous bigots, except it's difficult not to.  What I am surprised over is that they'd let an article like this not only make it to the Editor's desk but actually published!  There are a couple of problems with this: first, entirely dehumanizing gay teens and turning young men from people with independent thoughts and feelings into a fashion accessory, and second, essentially telling girls (who have a hard enough time developing and maintaining healthy relationships at that age, as it is) not to bother at same sex friendships. 

Just ... /facepalms. 
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Beula

I saw this posted on Oh No They Didn't and I really couldn't believe a girl's magazine would find this appropriate. Clueless might have been my favorite movie back in the day but I don't think people ought to be an "accessory" under any circumstance, especially not due to their sexuality.

Oniya

And here I thought they'd hit bottom with pets as fashion accessories.  *facepalm*

Edit:  Although, I have to say, I was encouraged by the fact that most of the comments to both the Salon article and the original article in Teen Vogue had the same level of indignation and WTF-ery that I felt.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MasterMischief

kckolbe

Not only do I feel this showed a considerable lack of sensitivity toward gays, but I also found it rather cruel to little people, who were previously the most coveted accessory friends.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Braioch

I'm a damn accessory?!

Shit I need to get some better outfits >.>

Nah, I really hate shopping....I'll be a grunge accessory ;D
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Malina

Hmm-hmm. A most fashionable nirvanaesque accessory - awww.  XD

Pity I've already got three gay best friend accessories in my wardrobe (else I'd invite you along straight away ;) ), don't ask me what they're doing, but it does sound as if they're having a good time in there.  ;D

Why three gay best friends? Well - ahem - I'm all for gay rights, see. It's so they can draw straws (or pick fights) about who must put up with me on this or that occasion, and who gets to have fun with the other in the meantime.

Host of Seraphim

Wow, that's ridiculous. Throughout most of high school my best friend was a gay dude, but I never thought of him as an accessory. Like someone in the article quoted, I never even thought of him as my "gay best friend," he was just my best friend.

Hurrah for twisting the minds of teenage girls even further!
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

MasterMischief

Makes me wonder how many of us did not know that one or more of our friends in high school were gay.

How dare they not help me with my terrible fashion sense?!  I mean, I wore loafers without socks and pastel t-shirts under sports jackets.  Just think of the embarrassment my  so-called friends could have helped me avoid later in life.

Serephino

Wait, loafers without socks isn't fashionable?  I'll be damned!  I think my gay fashion sense part is faulty.  Oh well......

I swear, each generation gets more and more stupid.  Every time it seems like we're making progress crap like this happens.  I'm glad I'm not in high school anymore.  I don't think I'd make a very good accessory.  I only cooperate when I want to and I bite. 

Host of Seraphim

All of the gay guys that I've known have had about as much fashion sense as the next average guy. So much for stereotypes  :D

Serephino

I like to be comfortable.  I only wear socks in the winter to keep my ankles warm.  I also like stuff with elastic waistbands.  Also, there's no way in hell I'm paying more than $20 for an article of clothing. 

MasterMischief

Quote from: Host of Seraphim on July 11, 2010, 09:20:45 PM
So much for stereotypes  :D

I was trying to make a funny.  I do not think all gay men (high school males) have good fashion sense.  I am not good fashion sense-phobic.  Some of my best friends have good fashion sense.

Host of Seraphim

Quote from: MasterMischief on July 11, 2010, 09:43:36 PM
I was trying to make a funny.  I do not think all gay men (high school males) have good fashion sense.  I am not good fashion sense-phobic.  Some of my best friends have good fashion sense.

I know it's sort of politically incorrect for me to say this, but... but... I think I might have good fashion sense.  :o  Oh the humanity! (I knew you were making a funny  ;D)

EDIT: Oh and to make this post on topic, my old friend (the one I mentioned earlier) just set his FB status to "Apparently I am in high demand." GDI Teen Vogue! It's like a plague of stupidness!

Oniya

I have to admit that, even when I was a teenager, I found all of those magazines to be the very definition of 'vapid'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

consortium11

Slightly off-topic but I always found the need to stick "teen" in front of everything incredibly patronising. Although thinking about it I guess it's more for the parents than the kids themselves.

Remiel

Quote from: consortium11 on July 12, 2010, 04:29:10 AM
Slightly off-topic but I always found the need to stick "teen" in front of everything incredibly patronising. Although thinking about it I guess it's more for the parents than the kids themselves.

Were I not so lazy, I would probably make a Photoshop image.  Something on the lines of Teen World News & World Report,  Teen Outlaw Biker, Teen Guns & Ammo.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Remiel on July 12, 2010, 02:11:29 PM
Were I not so lazy, I would probably make a Photoshop image.  Something on the lines of Teen World News & World Report,  Teen Outlaw Biker, Teen Guns & Ammo.

Teen Wall Street Journal

Braioch

Quote from: MasterMischief on July 11, 2010, 08:39:19 PM
Makes me wonder how many of us did not know that one or more of our friends in high school were gay.

How dare they not help me with my terrible fashion sense?!  I mean, I wore loafers without socks and pastel t-shirts under sports jackets.  Just think of the embarrassment my  so-called friends could have helped me avoid later in life.

Ok I have pretty good fashion sense, at least for myself, but I tend to really not give a flying crap most days....but that....definitely made me cringe....just....oh my

Mischief dude, we need to have a light talk I think -tease-

No but in all seriousness I think the closest I have come close to that is when my best friend feels the need to tell people I'm gay. Honestly it doesn't even bother me, though for the longest time it did kind of confound me. Then I realized that she wasn't doing it to show me off, or anything like that, I honestly believe she's challenging someone to be stupid enough to say something, or worse, do something. Which is dumb, because honestly she would kick their ass xD

I just hope no teenage girl takes that shit seriously....
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Will

If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

LordGuan

I've been serving in leadership positions in Gay Straight Alliance clubs for several years now, and though this article is obviously horrible and impersonal and nonsense, the cash strapped college club treasurer deep inside me is already planning the fall fundraiser:"Get your own GBF! Teen Vogue says 'must have'!"

:P

Florence

This is everything wrong with teen girls these days, the two biggest fashion accessories seem to be having a token queer and a baby. I can never understand how people can treat a human being as a fashion accessory, then again, I've long since given up on trying to understand ANYTHING about what goes through teens heads these days... or people in general. Call me a misanthrope, but people in general seem to be idiots.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Braioch

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on July 25, 2010, 08:00:07 AM
Call me a misanthrope, but people in general seem to be idiots.

You're a misanthrope.

Wish granted, next!

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

mieko

I woulnd't agree with the fact that all girls consider a gay male or a baby a fashion accessory.  Whether I'm fortunate or what , or if I've just done a good job being able to talk with my daughter as both my daughter and rational human being at the same time she doesn't hold those kinds of view.

Number one, she has goals in mind about what she wants to do in life (granted they change from week to week but she still has them lol ) And another I've given her a pretty good grasp of the fact people are people whatever their sexual orientation or race or what  have you. That's not to say she's not very opinionated, because she is and she won't back down from an arguement or serious discussion. But she knows well enough to judge people on their actiosn ...and believe me I hear all the action that goes on in the school even if i don't hear about it.

And I find it disturbing that she already knows of a friend who was involved with sexting. Someone who she has chosen to steer clear of because apparently this girl thinks it's no big deal. (at 13...this is a horrifying thought and I wonder if she'll learn better or get worse.)

I'm a firm believer if kids don't turn out to be reasonably well adjusted it's the fault of the parents. I don't blame TV, or media or anything else. If you can't talk to your kids and they can't talk to you then there's going to be nothing but disappointments ahead.

My daughter does read teen vogue though mainly for the same reason i used to read Seventeen when i was her age. I only wanted to look at the clothes. I just wasn't that deep when i was younger. But she takes anything that's in it with a grain of salt. She's got her own mind and no magazine is going to mess with it. Not so long as I have anything to say about it ^^

Oniya

I don't think that Finn was saying this applied to all teen girls, or even all teen girls that read Teen Vogue.  It does seem to be a disturbing trend, based on incidents that have made national news about girls entering into 'pregnancy pacts', and the actions of all the ex-Disney stars like Lindsey Lohan and Brittany Spears.

Quote from: mieko on August 08, 2010, 11:43:29 AM
She's got her own mind and no magazine is going to mess with it. Not so long as I have anything to say about it ^^

Congrats for that.  It's that kind of parental involvement that helps them stay out of trouble.   :D