News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Falling Leaf Academy

Started by MzHyde, November 12, 2013, 01:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MzHyde

Falling Leaf Academy

Original Post: Since the last time I saw this pop up it never took off, I thought I would try to bring up some interest once again. This is a check for people interested in playing a Ninja Academy scenario. What I had in mind was a modern fantasy setting - think Arcanum: Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Modern kind of steampunkish tech, but the world is filled with ninjas, knights, priests, and perhaps even a fantasy race or two. The game will take place on a hidden island dedicated to students who wish to learn the ninja arts. They enter at a young age, fourteen or so, and study for eight years before graduating - if they make the cut. Our group of players will be mid-level students. That is to say they will be seventeen, eighteen, or nineteen, and will have been there for four years. As the story takes place it's time for their mid-level exams, a series of grueling events that tests them on everything they've learned so far. They'll be tested not only on knowledge, but also in fighting technique, pitted against each other one on one and in teams of three. Those that fail at any stage will be left behind and cannot be promoted to the next level. So, basically, RP-wise, some time for combat and some time for conversation. The RP will be focused around the exams and while the fights will get dirty, there will not be any death. Right now this is just an interest check, so let's get a show of hands for who's looking to participate before I expand this topic!

Setting: Falling Leaf Academy has existed for hundreds of years. Like the other martial and magical academies spread throughout the world, it has stood almost unchanged for ages. The base tenants of each fighting or magical discipline have yet to change. Despite the discovery of the Animus Magicka by The Mage's Guild, which broadened the spectrum of magical schools, and despite the invention of steamworks by the industrious dwarves adding in a whole world of new gadgets and weapons, the basic combat and magical skills that direct the mages, warriors, ninja, rogues, and others alike have remained the same. Each generation of students brings in new and exciting skills, jutsu, and abilities, but every student comes here to learn how to survive, how to fight, and how to blend with the shadows. Falling Leaf is the only school in the entire world that teaches ninja arts, leading to a constant influx of new students. First and second year students are known as genin (low ninja), third and fourth year are known as chunin (middle ninja), and fifth through eighth year students are known as jonin (high ninja). Falling Leaf teaches the following classes;

-Stealth: Not completely focused on wearing black and slinking around in shadows. Ninja must blend in anywhere and in any environment. This class teaches one how to dress for the environment, how to use terrain to blend, and how to blend in with crowds. The class also teaches numerous dialects and local customs from the world over, to better allow the students to blend in within city environs.

-Survival: This class features a mixture of physical education (scaling walls and trees, climbing rock faces, swimming, etc.) and living off the land. Ninja may need to stalk a target for days at a time, or have to travel long distances on foot, so here is where students learn how to survive in any kind of environment.

-Chakra : Chakra is akin to mana for mages. While mana draws from the environment around the mage, chakra is a strength drawn from within, taking from the physical energy within the body and spiritual energy gained from exercise and experience. This class focuses mostly on physical and spiritual exercises (meditation, long periods of focus) in order to increase the flow of chakra through the student's body.

-Combat: Combat is divided into several different classes and all students begin by taking all of them for four years, after which they will pick one to specialize in. Combat classes are as follows; Kenjutsu (martial weapon combat), Taijustu (physical combat), Genjutsu (illusion techniques), Ninjutsu (ninja magic like transformation, elemental control, nature manipulation), and Fuinjustu (sealing magic and manipulation of inanimate objects).

The RP: As stated in the original post (see above), the focus of the game will be on the mid-level exams. The students we will be playing will have been at Falling Leaf for four years and will be ready to specialize in a school of combat, so they should be fairly developed in one or more areas. The exam structure is as follows;

1. The first stage is a written test, which includes difficult questions related to different ninja subjects, and it is designed to be too difficult to be answered by a normal students. It checks information gathering and decision-making abilities, because, to pass, the participants must find a reliable source of information, then discreetly cheat off them without getting caught by the watchful sentinels. As such, the sentinels place upper class students within the mass to provide a reliable source to cheat off of. However, extremely intelligent ninjas can solve such questions without resorting to such. After a certain amount of time, the proctor will ask the the tenth and final question, but if they fail the question they'll be forbidden to enter the exam again, but they can leave now and try another year. It tests their resolve and willingness to take risks, and if they decide to stay, they immediately pass, even if they fail to answer the other nine questions. Obviously, the students do not know much of this. All they are told is that they will be taking a written exam.

2. Students are now broken up into teams of three. The second stage tests the abilities of accomplishing a mission and real life survival skills without a sensei, as the participants are locked within a dangerous training area and must reach the central tower and survive five days without outside help. Each team is also given either a Scroll of Heaven or Scroll of Earth and teams are required to possess both in order to the third stage, forcing them to fight one another and hold on to their own. It is also mentioned that it is possible for teams to gather multiple copies of scrolls to trade for information from other teams about the strength and abilities, or simply to reduce the number of scrolls available, and thus the number of teams reaching the next stage. Additionally, teams are forbidden from opening the scrolls until they reach the tower, as the scrolls possess a spell that renders the reader unconscious until the stage's time limit has passed. Once the team reaches and enters the tower, they must open the scrolls which initiates a Summoning Technique that summons a higher ranked ninja who will congratulate the team.

3. The third and final stage consists of tournament-like fights between those remainders who passed the previous two stages, observed by a council of daimyō and village ninja that decides who becomes an upperclassmen  and who does not. This exam takes place one month after the second phase, to allow the participants to prepare themselves. While the winners are able to proceed to fight the next opponent, aptitude, rather than winning, is evaluated to determine whether a candidate is promoted; for example, a student forfeits his first match but is still promoted because of his strategic aptitude. This way, anyone who makes it to the third stage of the Exams has a chance to graduate.

Character Template: Please include a character image at the top if at all possible, using Float Left. Real or drawn, either is fine. Bold where indicated and follow the format as closely as possible. Don't include the bits in italics; it's just a guide. Adding extra information is okay and very welcomed. Feel free to develop your character as much as you like. Remember; they have been here for four years. They no doubt have friends, perhaps even enemies. All students are the same rank - fourth year, or chunin.

Name: (Name)
Height: (Height)
Weight: (Weight)
Eyes: (Color)
Hair: (Color)

Combat Aptitude: (Your character's ability in each style so far, from S [highest] to A, B, C, or D [lowest])
-Kenjutsu
-Taijutsu
-Genjutsu
-Ninjutsu
-Fuinjutsu
Class Aptitude: (Your character's aptitude in each class so far, from S [highest] to A, B, C, or D [lowest])
-Stealth:
-Survival:
-Chakra:

Appearance: (A full description, or just anything not in the picture you provided. Add any distinguishing marks or features here)

Background: (A quick background, both before school and during it)

Notes: (Anything else you want to include)

azzmeister89

AndyZ

I think I'll reuse a concept on this that I was going to have for another ninja game.  You're good with futa, right?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Angaroo

AndyZ

I'll have to repost when sheets come up, but this was the idea I was playing with before:

Name: Nara Mitsuhari
Orientation: Lesbian
Appearance: Her shadow talents appear not unlike PVC when exposed to sufficient light, with the shiny and glossy nature easily apparent.  This is an improvement to her first year training, where light would just make the shadows vanish altogether.  Underneath the armored outfit she manifests for herself is a simple cloth ninja outfit so she won't end up completely naked if the armor is dispelled or broken.
Personality: Like the shadows she forms, Nara has a difficult time being the center of attention, preferring to remain back and out of the way.  Instructors have told her that in order to fully actualize her talents and to create true darkness even in sunlight, she has to overcome this shyness, but so far she hasn't managed to work up the courage.
History: Ever since early adolescence, Nara has proven herself adept at shadow magic.  Most children are scared of the night, but Nara couldn't help but enjoy the chance to bring out her toys and play in secret.  Come morning, all her new friends and toys would vanish with the rising dawn, making her quietly resentful of the bright sky.

No one else had that trouble, and a few people she tried to talk to about it didn't quite believe her.  It wasn't until she found a dark cave and showed them that they did listen, at the cost of horrifying them.  Rumors spread, she became isolated, and it wasn't long before the torch-ready mob came after her.

She tried her best to fight, but what could she do against such bright light?  If not for the village elder, she would have been burned alive.

He'd heard of such gifts, but it wasn't until he saw the escalating battle that he truly recognized who she was and what she could do.  So he took her under his personal protection until she could be enrolled to train as a ninja.

The first two years of Deadly Winds Academy went rather well.  She's gotten a good knack for her powers, practices by maintaining a sheath of armor around herself at all times, and can create blades and shuriken of shadow when required to use some sort of weaponry.  They want her to learn other tools as well, such as a grappling hook, but so far she hasn't been able to do anything that large, complex or bendable.  She's only been able to manage the armor she wears because it's so close to her body that it can naturally give when she needs it to.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Yukina

MzHyde

AndyZ

I would say Chakra fits my concept the best.

MzHyde

Chakra isn't really something to major in. That's like being a mage and mastering in mana. You can be a student with an exceptional flow of chakra, howoever. As far as your character concept goes, Ninjutsu would probably be her fit.

AndyZ

Wargtass

Bookmarked, MzHyde. Once more your ideas intrigue me.  ;D

Anyone else going for a major in survival? Strangely enough that sounds the most fun to me.  :P
O/O

MzHyde

Yukina

Rogue

I'm.... I'm kinda interested... but the exam is exactly the same as the Chunin exams from Naruto.... So.... Kinda conflicted.... >.>

MzHyde

Quote from: Yugishogun on November 13, 2013, 12:26:39 PM
What is Fuinjutsu?

Sealing magic. The ability to seal something inside something else. Usually objects or chakra or spells inside scrolls.

Wargtass

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on November 13, 2013, 12:37:11 PM
I'm.... I'm kinda interested... but the exam is exactly the same as the Chunin exams from Naruto.... So.... Kinda conflicted.... >.>

Wow, that was a long time ago. Didn't even think of it. Then again that was probably the last good thing about that manga/anime.
O/O

Rogue

Quote from: Wargtass on November 13, 2013, 12:53:38 PM
Wow, that was a long time ago. Didn't even think of it. Then again that was probably the last good thing about that manga/anime.

IMO gets better after Shippuden with the war and such. Though that's the last I got around to reading. >.>

Though I doubt that was the intention....

I'm still considering this seriously though. Switching between considering a stealthy chick or a more combat oriented person....

Wargtass

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on November 13, 2013, 12:58:39 PM
IMO gets better after Shippuden with the war and such. Though that's the last I got around to reading. >.>

I wouldn't know, I gave up somewhere after the Chunin when I got distracted by jingling keys or something like that.  ::)

I already started on a survival expert, just too tired at the moment to finish it tonight. Will have to wait until the morrow.
O/O

Yukina

I'm probably going to make a girl that is very skilled in genjutsu then.

Sessha

This looks a bit interesting I'll admit and I'm kinda thinking about joining it but it sounds a bit too much like Naruto to me. Though I noticed one mistake you made, Kenjutsu is not actually weapon or martial training it's specicifly denotes training with the sword.  :-) and you forgot to include it on the character sheets as well.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

MzHyde

So sorry to hear you won't be joining. I am greatly looking forward to seeing the next RP you start, and I am sure it will be wonderful. I will stop by your topic to say as such, even though I will most likely not be joining. I also appreciate you pointing out errors and will return the favor at the next available opportunity. Thank you SO MUCH for your valuable insight.

Love,
Mz

MelisaArtemis

Interested. Seem loosely based on Naruto but I think this is a lil more on the... "real" side, I like it. You said in the world, there are a few fantasy race, is a kitsune character is okay then? She won't have... well.... supernatural power or something like that, just appearance sake and some additional aptitude on genjutsu kind of thing.

MzHyde

MelisaArtemis

I wonder anyway, is this RP gonna be in the Light, Non-Con or Extreme? since there shouldn't be any death in this RP, I guess it shouldn't be extreme but I'll ask anyway just to be safe.

MzHyde

Light, I suppose. It doesn't much matter, honestly, as nobody is going to do anything extreme to you without your permission. That's how I run things.