News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Baby for sale. . .

Started by ShrowdedPoet, June 02, 2008, 09:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShrowdedPoet

Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

*considers offering my 14 and 6 year old for sale..*

I could use the vacation!

(I -am- just kidding of course)

ShrowdedPoet

LOL. . .but seriously. . .*frowny face*  *looks around*  lol
Ons and Offs

Sherona

I didnt click the link. But I saw an article on one of my news webs where a couple was arrested for putting a baby up for sale for the equivalent of 1.95$...it was an obvious joke but still got them arrested for child trafficking.

ShrowdedPoet

This one the couple but their 7 I think it was day old baby up for sale on craigslist for the equivalant of $10,100.  A woman saw the add and called the police.  They had in their add real contact info but claimed it was a prank. . .they were arrested.
Ons and Offs

robitusinz

Eh...I don't see the big deal.  If people were able to sell their kids, what would the harm be?  Let's speculate on that.

I guess child slavery is one issue.  Some 3rd world loony buying US kids to take them out of the country.  That'd be pretty bad.  But, really, why not just round up a few women and impregnate them all and use them for fodder? 

Hmmm...somebody buying a kid to just rape it.  Gotta wonder how many families this goes on in already, though.

Considering that ANYONE can make a baby, I'm wondering what "bad" stuff we keep from happening to kids by making them unsellable?
I'm just a vanilla guy with a chocolate brain.

Sherona

QuoteBut, really, why not just round up a few women and impregnate them all and use them for fodder

Have to say....*blinks*...

Heroblade

Quote from: robitusinz on June 02, 2008, 07:07:43 PM
Considering that ANYONE can make a baby, I'm wondering what "bad" stuff we keep from happening to kids by making them unsellable?

I wish not find to out, myself.

Sherona

Anywho back to topic at hand.

Yes there are some perfectly legitamate couples willing to buy babies on the blackmarket due to infertility or other issues. But on the whole allowing babies to be sold would actually just produce MORE crackbabies whose mothers want the big return on them but dont really want the responsibilities of giving up crack/alcohol etc and so forth. You would see a SHARP decrease in babies put up for adoption through legitamate adopiton agencies, and you will siee a Rise in "Buying" babies for things such as slave labor and if their blood type/bone marrow matches then possibly even that.

Right now its pretty easy to give a kid up for adoption...in many cities all one has to do is take one to a Police station, Fire department, or hospital, no questions asked...So the argument of selling kids would help take them out of places they wouldnt be safe/happy in is pretty pale considering the likely hood of being sold to some third world country where child labor is heavily used.

Sabby

Am I the only one that finds this kinda funny? Any level headed, sensible person would see that it was a hoax, but no, some drama queen has to call the cops. The joke may not have been a good idea, but I hardly think it deserved police intervention and the child being moved to foster care for a while >.> its just plain idiocy and hysteria rolled up into one big ball that should have died with the Dark Ages.

(I realize I may have just set myself up for some flak, so forgive me if I seem like Satan for laughing at such a super serious topic)

The Overlord

Who could possibly be so stupid to think this was a good idea?...wait don't answer that.  :-\

OldSchoolGamer

I can't really see any upside to allowing babies to be sold, and I can see a lot of potential downside.  Methinks this is an idea that should be confined to speculative fiction.

robitusinz

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on June 03, 2008, 03:36:02 AM
I can't really see any upside to allowing babies to be sold, and I can see a lot of potential downside.  Methinks this is an idea that should be confined to speculative fiction.

Yeah, that's pretty much what my post revolved around.  I was just brainstorming to see what the negatives were.

Ya know, sometimes, it's good to play devil's advocate and see why the negatives are negative.  Yeah, we all *know* that morally, selling a kid is "bad", but why not question WHY?  I'm not about to go round up a few kids and sell em off on e-Bay....just felt like thinking a little deeper as to why we choose to believe that selling kids is wrong.

It scares me more to see someone throw up a news article and have 12 sheep going, "OMG, THAT'S HORRIBLE" than it does to see one person go, "Hmmm...so why exactly is this so bad?"  At least the latter is opening the floor to some sort of discussion and we can proceed to pinpoint the reasons why we make our moral choices, and hold our moral philosophies.

I personally would rather understand something than blindly follow some opinion.  I know exactly WHY I find certain things appalling, I don't just DO so because my mommy or some pastor told me so.
I'm just a vanilla guy with a chocolate brain.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Sabbat on June 03, 2008, 01:02:47 AM
Am I the only one that finds this kinda funny? Any level headed, sensible person would see that it was a hoax, but no, some drama queen has to call the cops. The joke may not have been a good idea, but I hardly think it deserved police intervention and the child being moved to foster care for a while >.> its just plain idiocy and hysteria rolled up into one big ball that should have died with the Dark Ages.

(I realize I may have just set myself up for some flak, so forgive me if I seem like Satan for laughing at such a super serious topic)

The problem with that is it might not have been a hoax. . .
Ons and Offs

Sabby

And when it was proved to be a less then funny joke, the kid still gets taken away? I assume they're investigating the parents ability to raise a child, but in the meantime, the couple are without their child because of an internet hoax, while kids who don't attend school and live in a rotty apartment with an alcoholic father are given three warnings before that happens.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Sabbat on June 03, 2008, 10:09:50 AM
And when it was proved to be a less then funny joke, the kid still gets taken away? I assume they're investigating the parents ability to raise a child, but in the meantime, the couple are without their child because of an internet hoax, while kids who don't attend school and live in a rotty apartment with an alcoholic father are given three warnings before that happens.

Didn't say life was fair or that the system always works because I don't believe that in the least.
Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

Quote from: Sabbat on June 03, 2008, 10:09:50 AM

*mature GT walks in*

If it was indeed a hoax, then those parents are not mature to raise a child.

*nods*

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 03, 2008, 10:42:48 AM
*mature GT walks in*

If it was indeed a hoax, then those parents are not mature to raise a child.

*nods*

*hugs GT*  I do agree. . .*tickles her trying to pull out the evil GT*
Ons and Offs

Sabby

The actual joke was not that funny, and it was a bad choice on their part, but I don't think thats enough to say they are bad parents. Oh well, the so called 'professionals' (and I use that while rolling my eyes) will judge the couples ability to raise a child in a good home, but I still believe this is a big over reaction.

Greenthorn

I am a huge prankster in RL...and I admit to torturing my children with telling them things like The Grudge lives in our attic...and The Sewer Monster lives in the storm drain...errr *giggles* and I even admit to threatening them that I'm going to put them in cages..and probably told my eldest she was getting sold on Ebay...

BUT...to actually -put- an ad out there...*shakes head* that is going to far...and it's not a matter of "funny" when it's an infant!

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 03, 2008, 10:55:43 AM
I am a huge prankster in RL...and I admit to torturing my children with telling them things like The Grudge lives in our attic...and The Sewer Monster lives in the storm drain...errr *giggles* and I even admit to threatening them that I'm going to put them in cages..and probably told my eldest she was getting sold on Ebay...

BUT...to actually -put- an ad out there...*shakes head* that is going to far...and it's not a matter of "funny" when it's an infant!

*get serious*  I wholeheartedly agree.
Ons and Offs

Trieste

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 03, 2008, 10:55:43 AM

I think GT and my mom are from the same school of mommy-ing. *boggle* When I was little, I came up with the fantastic idea to threaten to call DSS on my mother if she didn't do something (I don't even remember what it was now ... maybe I wanted a Game Boy or something) and I got the lecture of a lifetime. "Call them. Tell them to take you away... you'll have to share your toys with eight other strangers and you will never, ever have it as good there as you do here." *felt about 3 inches tall after that*

The prank itself was poorly thought out ... It makes me wonder how the kid will feel later on when s/he learns about it. Stuff like that doesn't stay buried; how will it make the kid feel when they find out their parents tried, even in jest, to sell them off?

Apple of Eris

I totally can not believe this... the canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar? WTF!?

J/k! I knew it was worth more, I remember seeing it in the news, but, come on! I can't go anywhere anymore except for like Zaire if I want to buy kids for cheap!
I mean, buy goods for cheap! Sheesh.

:)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Apple of Eris on June 03, 2008, 04:57:37 PM
I totally can not believe this... the canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar? WTF!?

J/k! I knew it was worth more, I remember seeing it in the news, but, come on! I can't go anywhere anymore except for like Zaire if I want to buy kids for cheap!
I mean, buy goods for cheap! Sheesh.

:)

*giggles*
Ons and Offs