Assistance Requested in Naming a Secret Society

Started by lordgriffin, January 11, 2012, 12:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordgriffin

I am writing an anthropomorphic story, that involves a multi-species criminal (all male) organization,  similar to the Illuminati, Obviously I do not wish to USE Iluminati, I coudl use some suggestions as to what to call it. Any suggestions?

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

lordgriffin

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: lordgriffin on January 11, 2012, 01:10:52 PM
I KNEW someone would say that ;)

Of course you know there is no such thing as the Iluminati

Beguile's Mistress

That's what they want you to believe. ;D

What about Sanctorum (not Santorum) or Sepulchre?

Callie Del Noire

Hmm... in seriousness though.. it could be something like OCE (Our Curious Enterprise) if you want to go for an old English Gentleman type conspiracy. The Society of Saint Ramon, (after the saint of secrets). A small group could be soemthing like The Seven Mysterious Gentlemen. 

Oniya

Or, you could take a word like CLAW or TALON and turn it into an acronym.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

Clearly Law-Abiding Wolves

Who would ever suspect an organization like that?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Driskoll

Here are some names of real secret societies. I find that when I'm trying to name something like this, I look to what's already out there and make something that similar but different so it's still believable. You might also try mixing up parts of different names to make something new.

1. The Rosicrucians or The Rosicrucian Order
2. Ordo Templis Orientis or Order of the Temples of the East
3. Hermetic Order of The Golden Dawn
4. The Priory of Sion
5. Knights of the Golden Eagle

Another thing I like to do is make up a name that sounds cool then translate it into Latin. Almost everything sounds smarter and cooler in Latin XD

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: Driskoll on January 11, 2012, 02:47:20 PM
Another thing I like to do is make up a name that sounds cool then translate it into Latin. Almost everything sounds smarter and cooler in Latin XD

Not after six years of highschool Latin  ::)

Ot: I'll see if I can come up with something.
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Ryven

If it's all male, perhaps you could call it Brothers of [insert something here].

Brothers of the Claw
Brothers of the Talon

Two options which were already suggested.

lordgriffin

Very original! This is high in the running!

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 11, 2012, 02:15:15 PM
Hmm... in seriousness though.. it could be something like OCE (Our Curious Enterprise) if you want to go for an old English Gentleman type conspiracy. The Society of Saint Ramon, (after the saint of secrets). A small group could be soemthing like The Seven Mysterious Gentlemen.

lordgriffin

Wow, these are all awsome suggestions, thanks to everyone for helping me out!

Oniya