Interest check: The Dresden Files

Started by Tilt, November 17, 2018, 04:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilt

Hello everyone, new member here!

I checked to see if there were any existing Dresden Files RPs, and it doesn't look like there are. It's been mentioned a couple times, however, which makes me hope that someone might be interested in giving this series a shot. Full disclosure, I am not quite halfway done with the series, but I'm already hooked and want to play more!

What I'd like to know is who would be interested in playing which characters, if there's a specific book people would prefer to start in (Just for a rough timeline), and so forth. What would you look for in a Dresden roleplay?

Personally, I have a couple OCs I'd like to play and I could pick up Murphy and Susan as well.

HairyHeretic

We've had Dresden Files games in the past. I've run one of them using the Evil Hat system (though I'm not sure if you're after a system or freeform game).

Personally, I prefer not to play canon characters in any pre-existing setting.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

helvorn

I would enjoy playing in a low or high powered Dresden files game. 

Eobelle

I'd love to play Dresden files.

I also dislike playing canon characters in a pre-existing setting.  OCs in a new city would be great.  Plus creating a city and characters is part of the fun.

I would prefer 1st edition Dresden as opposed to the accelerated version if that is at all possible.  The original is very slick and elegant, while the accelerated version lacks any of that in order to cram itself into a more structured generic mold.

helvorn

I'm not too familiar with either game system but with some help and patience could muddle through either.

I would prefer to set things before the destruction of the Red Court.  I like the Red vampires as bad guys and the setting got too grim too quickly after the Red debacle.

ZincStandard

I'd potentially be interested in a game with the original Fate system.  Got a couple characters I'd really like to give another shot.

Eobelle

Quote from: helvorn on November 21, 2018, 05:56:36 PM
I'm not too familiar with either game system but with some help and patience could muddle through either.

I would prefer to set things before the destruction of the Red Court.  I like the Red vampires as bad guys and the setting got too grim too quickly after the Red debacle.

I'm right there with you.  In fact, I prefer to play in established settings like this just before any of the books, and start a new timeline from there, rather than following the exploits of some other character.  I like the feeling that I can create my character's story, rather than be an NPC in someone else's.

I have a few character concepts rn that would be interesting to flesh out.  Some more vanilla and others more sexy/raunchy depending on what a hypothetical GM would want to their game.

Tilt

Quote from: Eobelle on November 22, 2018, 10:50:27 AM
I'm right there with you.  In fact, I prefer to play in established settings like this just before any of the books, and start a new timeline from there, rather than following the exploits of some other character.  I like the feeling that I can create my character's story, rather than be an NPC in someone else's.

I have a few character concepts rn that would be interesting to flesh out.  Some more vanilla and others more sexy/raunchy depending on what a hypothetical GM would want to their game.

That could be fun!

Does anyone have DM experience? I'll admit, I've never even played in a formal setting where there's a DM, defined character list, and dice rolling.

Eobelle

Quote from: Tilt on November 22, 2018, 07:14:05 PM
That could be fun!

Does anyone have DM experience? I'll admit, I've never even played in a formal setting where there's a DM, defined character list, and dice rolling.
I'd love to play, but running a game is a little beyond me right now.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Tilt on November 22, 2018, 07:14:05 PM
That could be fun!

I do. I've run Dresden Files both here and with my tabletop group. I don't think I have the time to run anything more at the moment, but I'd be happy to offer advice / tips to any prospective GM, and act as a sounding board.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

helvorn

I unfortunately lack the organizational skills and motivation plus experience to run a game.  Just a leecher :)

Caradoc

Got to admit this idea is growing on me. I'm a huge Dresden fan.
So tell me do you wanna go?
Where it's covered in all the colored lights
Where the runaways are running the night
Impossible comes true, it's taking over you

My Ons and Offs

A/A's Updated 1/25/17

Rook Seidhr

Potentially interested in playing in a system game. Can't GM right now.

Eva

I'd totally be up for a non-system Dresden game, especially if it were a new setting.  While I have GMed in the past and will do so again, I'm not up for it right now.  But who knows when that will change.

Marie Reynolds

I would be also interested as a player for the original evil hat productions  Dresden files game!