What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonalberry

Quote from: Akiko on August 06, 2012, 06:20:43 PM
When I first read that, I read it as "Darth Brandon". Considering who posted it, it had me laughing once I was able to piece it together.

Still mostly playing WoW. If SWTOR is truly F2P (wondering how that affects people who paid for the game?), I might start playing again.

Will have to see, I guess.

The F2P content is a bit cut down from the paid sub content.  You can still get to lvl 50 with all the classes.  Some of the races will be cut, and you'll have limited access to flashpoints and space missions.  Operations are completely cut from F2P, according to the site, but they haven't specified whether you'll be able to buy access to them or not.  For people who continue to pay for a sub, they'll be getting a monthly sum of Cartel Coins, TOR's ingame money you buy with real money.  And if you've bought the Collector's Edition, and/or have had an ongoing subscription all the way to the F2P release, you'll be getting a fat stack of Coins as well.  So far, all I've heard that'll be buyable with Coins are vanity items to change your look, pets, etc.  Nothing really game-breaking or that give you an edge.

Hemingway

Man. SWTOR.

I don't know why, but that game just lacks something essential to keeping me interested. Endgame flashpoints and operations in that game just never really appealed to me. All I ever do is RP ( a tiny bit ) and PvP. I haven't played in a while now, though. Incidentally ( or maybe not ) the last match I ever played in PvP was against the best team the Empire had to offer - and we absolutely crushed them. I think subconsciously I felt at that moment like I'd won the entire game.

Brandon

If it lacked anything I thought it was more updates to add content and fix bugs. Maybe its just me but I think after the first six months you have to release a major content expansion/patch and continue that every six months. Im also a little bored of hotkey stuff but thats personal preference. To be fair what bioware got 100% right IMO was the storytelling and roleplaying aspects in SWTOR. I dont recall being able to seriously roleplay a character in any other game like that and if anything I think that sets a new bar for what future MMOs should be.

That said, Im willing to give SWTOR some slack because its an MMO from a company that, to my knowledge, had never done an MMO before. I think its still a really good game and there are classes Ive never played in it (meaning more stories to complete) but the thing is there just isnt a lot to do at the end game and that usually kills a game outright because people rush to the highest levels and then go "Now what?". If they dont have a lot to do well they dont stick around. You just cant release a game without lots of end game content anymore

To go further with ideas of end game content and major content additions every six months. I think it would further serve the game if they made it so you had to beat old content before you could do the new stuff. Im not talking, necessarily, a gear check but more like a flag check. Cant complete the infinity vault? Well then you cant do the end game stuff in this new expansion pack
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

LunarSage

I will never understand the need to rush through leveling to max level in an MMO.  90% of the enjoyment for me is playing up to that point.

When I had a WoW account active, I rarely played my level 85, much preferring to work towards 85 with other characters... play new races and classes, do quests that I skipped before, etc.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Wolfy

The Secret World....*squees*

Actually, they just released a major content update 1 month after release, adding in a few new quests, two new Nightmare Mode Dungeons, as well as a marketplace system....now I know what you're going to say, "What? No marketplace at launch? PREPOSTEROUS!" but come on...cut them some slack, sheeeesh. >_>

Prototype

The puritan filth, where ivy grows
The poisoned tear, the thorn, the rose
The sin, the pleasure, the sexual urge
Is what I choose for my last dirge

Hemingway

To my complete and utter non-surprise, The Saboteur is a very good game. It's not perfect, mind you, but unlike polished, popular games, it has soul.

I mean, Paris in 1941, stealth and sabotage, jazz music, French women, English women, Irish protagonist, sandbox gameplay and an interesting story with actual characters. It can't possibly go wrong. The only real problem the game has is with controls and animations, which aren't always perfect. Especially when you're climbing buildings or jumping between rooftops, animations can be a bit simple. But screw that. You can jump between rooftops! You can dynamite a German sniper nest, and escape by leaping across the street from one rooftop to another! It's like Assassin's Creed meets Uncharted meets Red Faction: Guerrilla meets World War 2. It's brilliant!

One other problem the game has, though this isn't so much a technical problem as a matter of taste, is that ... it's very easy. It's ostensibly a stealth game, but not in the Splinter Cell kind of way. It's not about not being seen, so much as acquiring disguises and taking out guards quietly from relatively safe positions. It's fun setting off an explosion to draw guards away from a watch tower you're going to blow up ... but just shooting them is just as easy. And if you do get caught, which happens, or if the mission just calls for a more direct approach ... it's still quite easy. It takes more than a few soldiers to stop you, if you're any good at shooting and taking cover ( regenerating health, bleh ).

But it's still a lot of fun. It's that type of game where scenes don't have to be scripted to be awesome.

Sabby

Just got back into Dragons Dogma. I missed my Loli Knight <3

Big rock golem thing goes into berserk mode, starts spamming an endless barrage of eye lasers. Just pummelling the area into churned up soil. No one can come out of cover. Loli Knight climbs up a few rocks, sprints, leaps, boom, mace to the face! Clinging to it's face, bam bam bam! It's charging a msssive eye laser! D= NO! It's guna blast me off it's face! Just before it fires, my Mage brings Lightning down on it. It's stunned. Proceeds to whip the fuck out of it's legs with a Lightning whip. Sizzle crack crack! Brings it down onto it's knees. As it's falling, I jump off it's face, and land a falling strike on the back of it's head.

K-K-K-K.O.!

Wolfy

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance.

On the subject of Kingdom Hearts....Kingdom Hearts Two is actually the only game that I've ever gotten 100% completion on, and played more than once after beating the final boss. (As in restarting entirely from the beginning).

....So yeah...I loves me some Kingdom Hearts...I wish I could play the final mix versions, but eh..there ya go.

SinXAzgard21

I'm not going to play the Smash Bro. clone....  This should have been done years ago.

Currently I'm playing DCUO, needed and MMO to play till GW2. 

For console I am running through a grand majority of the Nippon-Ichi and Atlas games for ps2 and playing Saints row 2 on ps3.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Prototype

Currently playing League of Legends as Hecarim the Shadow of War.

The puritan filth, where ivy grows
The poisoned tear, the thorn, the rose
The sin, the pleasure, the sexual urge
Is what I choose for my last dirge

Wolfy

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on August 08, 2012, 11:14:32 AM
I'm not going to play the Smash Bro. clone....  This should have been done years ago.

For console I am running through a grand majority of the Nippon-Ichi and Atlas games for ps2 and playing Saints row 2 on ps3.

You will if it's a good clone, yeeeessss?

Wolfy

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on August 08, 2012, 11:14:32 AM

Also, speaking of such things:
PlayStation® All-Stars Battle Royale - Sweet Tooth Strategies
PlayStation® All-Stars Battle Royale - PaRappa Strategies

What other game, sir...allows you to pit Parappa the Rappa against Kratos in a death match?

...I mean come on! o3o

Brandon

What rating is this game supposed to have? I mean Brawl does an ok job of making it kid friendly but with the guy from Killzone, Kratos, and the clown guy I have to wonder if its going to far less accessible for them
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Heaven Sent Blossom

I started playing DC Online again despite the fact that I hate DC right now for the awful things they're doing with their comics, I think it's because I just finished watching Young Justice season 1 and it was sooo good.
Also I had spare money so I figured now was as good a time as any to become a Green Lantern. I love being a Green Lantern, I just hope nobody puts my girlfriend in a fridge because of it:-<

Sabby

I hate comics, and even I know that reference by now xD

Sabby

Damn... Dragons Dogma continues to impress me. I'm glad I'm juggling three Vocations, it gives me a lot more variety. There's so many tactics you can form.

So far, I'm almost max Vocation in Mystic Knight, Magick Archer, and Sorcerer. The Sorcerer is a little boring to be honest... but the other two are great.

My Magick Archer just cued up a laser bombardment on a Chimera. Hit it as it was bounding through the forest after us. It rolled and hit the ground, and my Sorcerer goes ahead and drops a tornado on it. Like, an actual twister. And fun thing about twisters in the forest is the game has grass and tree physics. Which is always sexy as hell :3 makes the spell look a whole lot better when they send shockwaves through the foliage.

After that, we got ambushed by Saurians. The poisoned kind. Tougher, and about a dozen or so had been cloaked, and really well, since we ended up walking right into the middle of them before they jumped out. Things got WAY too hectic, so I threw down a Sigil to shackle everyone (shadow chains, yay!) and did my little zigzag strikes with fire daggers. Just this crisscrossing streak of fire rushing through the Saurians, hacking their tails off. Once the Sigil ran out, decided to run, leapt and landed on the other side of a tar pit. The Saurians, however, waded right through it.

Tar blinds. Know what happens when a dozen angry Saurians all jump into a big pile and get tar in their eyes? Battle Royale. They're clutching their eyes and swinging their spears around, kicking each other, and just being generally hilarious. And the blindness won't end if they don't find their way out. Too bad they can't see and are just tripping over each other :3

Then the Harpies came... a whole dozen or so. Lined up some homing strikes, they fell into the tar and got stuck. So now there's just this big sticky mess of angry Saurians clocking each other and flailing drowning Harpies. It was a mercy kill when we SUMMONED A METEOR STRIKE.

The Mystic Knight story would take too long, so I'll save it for later, but wow MK is overpowered once ya get Abyssal Anguish. To put it simply, it makes your every hit a combo. Your weapon explodes each attach, and has more range, and the explosions hit 3 or 4 times. So you can carve through some fairly big groups of enemies (which would normally take a 4 or 5 hits each) with only a few swings.

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on August 12, 2012, 04:09:49 AM
After that, we got ambushed by Saurians. The poisoned kind. Tougher, and about a dozen or so had been cloaked, and really well, since we ended up walking right into the middle of them before they jumped out. Things got WAY too hectic, so I threw down a Sigil to shackle everyone (shadow chains, yay!) and did my little zigzag strikes with fire daggers. Just this crisscrossing streak of fire rushing through the Saurians, hacking their tails off. Once the Sigil ran out, decided to run, leapt and landed on the other side of a tar pit. The Saurians, however, waded right through it.

Tar blinds. Know what happens when a dozen angry Saurians all jump into a big pile and get tar in their eyes? Battle Royale. They're clutching their eyes and swinging their spears around, kicking each other, and just being generally hilarious. And the blindness won't end if they don't find their way out. Too bad they can't see and are just tripping over each other :3

Then the Harpies came... a whole dozen or so. Lined up some homing strikes, they fell into the tar and got stuck. So now there's just this big sticky mess of angry Saurians clocking each other and flailing drowning Harpies. It was a mercy kill when we SUMMONED A METEOR STRIKE.

... And that, children, is why we don't have dinosaurs today.   Thank you for visiting the La Brea museum.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Yep. I killed the Dinosaurs :3 with my girl muscles.

lionize

casual games only: Tyrant, an awesome CCG. And I like racing some onlineraes in Gran Turismo 5

And some AIF...
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.

Inkidu

Battle for Wensoth. Nice little free TBS. It's kind of like Fire Emblem, but with less rock-paper scissors and the ability to recruit more people. Though, they will suck if you're too far in. The branching class system for your units is awesome. Though, your "hero" unit is more of a glorified recruiting sergeant.

"Fight for Wensoth, be used as cannon fodder, get lucky enough to become useful.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on August 13, 2012, 07:15:06 PM
Battle for Wensoth. Nice little free TBS. It's kind of like Fire Emblem, but with less rock-paper scissors and the ability to recruit more people. Though, they will suck if you're too far in. The branching class system for your units is awesome. Though, your "hero" unit is more of a glorified recruiting sergeant.

"Fight for Wensoth, be used as cannon fodder, get lucky enough to become useful.

Surely you mean Wesnoth. ;)

Anyway, I love that game. It has some great custom campaigns, too. I don't know how many hours I've spent with that game, but I do know that I had to stay up all night once, and I played that game basically the entire time .. and the next day I saw hexagons wherever I looked. Which is the long way of saying it's a better game than a whole lot of non-free games.

In other strategy news, I decided to get Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. It was cheap, and I've been interested in it for quite some time. I haven't gotten very far yet, but it seems like a great game. I never played the original Jagged Alliance games, so I can't really compare - and maybe that's a good thing. The game reminds me very generally of Fallout Tactics, though, and that's not a bad thing.

Also, I recently decided to give Alpha Protocol another go. I used to think it was an underrated game, and ... well, I guess I still do, but ... I became aware of some problems I didn't run into on my first playthrough. The first is that the game is incredibly frustrating if you're playing on Hard and trying to be stealthy. You're no good in a straight fight that way, and there are parts where the game forces you to fight. Bosses are especially annoying. I must've died about a dozen times on Marburg. And that leads me to the second problem: To do certain things, like killing Marburg so that you get the influence bonus with SIE ... you have to know how to do it ahead of time, basically. I didn't. So he just ran away. And that was when I quit the game in disgust.

Rel Mayer

Totally have been playing the new Persona 4 Arena game. Reminds me of BlazBlue and Guilty Gear. It's awesome too, because I have a few friends playing it so the verses mode is so much more interesting. Love fighter with double dashing and huge combos that are super flashy.

Super amazing if you love fighters. Now I just gotta keep my fingers crossed for a remake of Guilty Gear on the PS3.

* Rel Mayer crosses fingers.

Wolfy

Darksiders 2.

...;3

Oh Death.

He's so dreamy....