Xbox help?

Started by Oreo, May 06, 2012, 03:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

I'd like to get a refurbished xbox and have been looking on Ebay. They seem to have a few, but they all list Country Region - United Kingdom in the details. Does this have any bearing on whether they will play discs with a US region? Example (Under Features)

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

HockeyGod

As far as I know yes and no - generally they do not - game boxes are coded regionally the UK and USA are in different regions. There is also a power conversion problem that works for some devices, but not always for game boxes. You don't want the box to melt!

Lastly some games are regionally coded. You would have to buy the UK version of games when they are coded differently. This would be the biggest problem to get games.

Oreo

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

HockeyGod

Sorry :(

You can come over and play our Wii, Playstation, or Sega Genesis.  ::)

Oreo

*laughs* I have an Xbox 360, but would like to play some of the earlier games. It looks like every Xbox available is regioned to the UK.

Falanor

I know your pain.  I have a small handful of games from my original xbox that I can't play because they never developed the codex for them to be played on the 360.  Scanning through some of eBay I found this one that might meet your needs though.

Oreo

Thanks Falanor. I think I am going to bide my time and see what comes up. That's a little more than I was looking to spend. *kicks self for missing a bid by $3 earlier* Cheapy me didn't want to go over $50. I could have had the same model with 20 games included. :P

I wish Amazon and Paypal were on speaking terms. <_<

Autumn Sativus

Don't forget to try craigslist too. ;D
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Oreo

I've never bought from Craigslist. Do they have buyer protection?

Autumn Sativus

More than likely not (I'm not sure, I don't use Craigstlist myself as we have a better local sale site in Canada) but you could always negotiate so that you can test out the system before you buy?
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

NileGoddess

Quote from: Oreo on May 06, 2012, 08:02:19 PM
I've never bought from Craigslist. Do they have buyer protection?

I wish I could help you with your region issues Oreo. I've heard stories about Craigslist, and usually they are never good, so I'd be wary.

I bit the bullet and bought mine retail, but that almost turned into a failure because of the system's failure rate, and I kind of got swindled. They sold me a display model that barely worked, but thanks to the powers that be, a 2-year warranty came with it. So when it failed (almost exactly a year to the date I bought it), I got a free replacement.