what MMOs is anyone playing?

Started by boogop, July 05, 2013, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on October 27, 2013, 08:16:11 PM
What, you're in the beta or something?

No just thought I'd post this just in case some didn't know about it.  Not into Everquest.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Scharnhorst

I've been playing SWTOR and enjoying it. It has great PvE. I am a particular fan of MMO PvP, but it has to be a specific kind — Dark Age of Camelot was best for me in that regard.

I'm hoping Camelot Unchained can fill that void someday, but I'm troubled by their plans to not do PvE.

I see there's some debate about SWTOR's worth. I really bought in pre-release and was immensely disappointed. I mean, I bought in to the point of going to E3 2011, meeting developers, then meeting them again at Comic Con. The parts of the game that are great are the ones they spent the most time on, namely PvE, even if it is repetitive and on rails. There was no sustainable end game. I'm not sure if that's still the same, but I've found I can have fun in the F2P environment. I'm probably going to subscribe for a month or two. It's tough having to deal with the various caps. I still think it's playable, though.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Scharnhorst on October 27, 2013, 10:39:14 PM
I've been playing SWTOR and enjoying it. It has great PvE. I am a particular fan of MMO PvP, but it has to be a specific kind — Dark Age of Camelot was best for me in that regard.

I'm hoping Camelot Unchained can fill that void someday, but I'm troubled by their plans to not do PvE.

I see there's some debate about SWTOR's worth. I really bought in pre-release and was immensely disappointed. I mean, I bought in to the point of going to E3 2011, meeting developers, then meeting them again at Comic Con. The parts of the game that are great are the ones they spent the most time on, namely PvE, even if it is repetitive and on rails. There was no sustainable end game. I'm not sure if that's still the same, but I've found I can have fun in the F2P environment. I'm probably going to subscribe for a month or two. It's tough having to deal with the various caps. I still think it's playable, though.

The game is playable yes, but to me it is as enjoyable now as a spinal tap.  The various caps pretty much push the sub down your throat, unless you just want to experience a couple online single player stories.  That is fine, you can easily get through the storyline with quest rewards, mob drops and so on.  Though lets face it people who generally play a Star Wars game, they want to run a lightsaber through someones head.  I think Rift's f2p model is so much better, even though I don't like it, Terra also has a cool f2p model though the characters are more questionable.

I do not doubt there is fun still left in the game, but basically forcing a sub on a f2p game is bad form.  Mostly I blame EA.

Gallows

Currently, I'm not playing any MMOs, I can't help but feel the best have already been and that much of what is out there now, just seems so...derivative.

I cut my teeth on EVE-Online for around 5-6 years, everything from PvP alliances through to PvE safety and casual play, as well as specific role play groups.  From there I've tried WoW, EQ, SWG and Star Trek Online, but I've always felt that the constant grinding and the lack of depth to the backgrounds/npcs in these games just leaves them boring.  I mean, WoW I just couldn't take seriously when you go to a "city" that takes 2 minutes to walk around, it is just such a shallow setting that really wastes the depth they do have in their writing.  Also, what's with everyone running all the time, I know it's practical, but it is so damn immersion breaking.

Unfortunately, I've learned over the last decade that the type of game I'd consider to have enough role play depth, most people just wouldn't want to play, because the majority of the player base actually seem to like that grinding crap.

Other than that, I have been, on and off, active in Second Life for a long time, and while I wouldn't consider it an MMO, it does at least provide an alternative role play outlet, though the quality can be extremely variable and you are very much reliant of the quality of what players can build and the limits of their vision and skills accordingly, which makes it all rather hit and miss finding something that can keep your attention.

snapdragon

here's what happens with me and Warcraft. I go away for awhile. They dangle something new in front of me and I go "hey I haven't been on in a while" then I end up playing obsessively for a span then I go away again. I've been doing this since Burning Crusade. I have a problem.

That being said, the announcement of the new expac made me wander back into WoW. I keep looking for new MMOs to try but WoW is the only one I stuck with for some reason.

Chris Brady

Snap, I'm the same way.  But Pandaria broke that for me.  Because I HATE the stupid Pandaren.  But this new expansion?  I WANT.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 11, 2013, 06:42:32 PM
Snap, I'm the same way.  But Pandaria broke that for me.  Because I HATE the stupid Pandaren.  But this new expansion?  I WANT.

What is wrong with the Panda's?  Not Russian space goat enough?

Shjade

Yeah, the Pandaren have nothing on the Draenei for goofiness.

That said, I'm happy to say I am 100% recovered from WoW's influence at this point. I heard stuff about the new blah blah coming out and for the first time didn't even feel compelled to look at the new class changes. I'm cuuuuured~
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Drake Valentine

Final Fantasy a Realm Reborn.

Though I think I am almost done with the main storyline. ;(  And my monk is almost max.....

But looking forward to expansions when they hit and new job classes. Hopefully ninja and blue mage make their debut.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Drake Valentine on November 11, 2013, 09:35:31 PM
Final Fantasy a Realm Reborn.

Though I think I am almost done with the main storyline. ;(  And my monk is almost max.....

But looking forward to expansions when they hit and new job classes. Hopefully ninja and blue mage make their debut.

Marksman will be first.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 11, 2013, 06:42:32 PM

I don't.

My take. We FINALLY go through this storyline, tear through Orgimar to find that rancid festering sore that calls itself 'warchief' and what happens.

HE ESCAPES IN TIME the very next expansion. No justice. No resolution.

I'm FURIOUS. I wanted to be there when Vul'Jin shanked his sorry poisoning ass.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 11, 2013, 09:51:08 PM
I don't.

My take. We FINALLY go through this storyline, tear through Orgimar to find that rancid festering sore that calls itself 'warchief' and what happens.

HE ESCAPES IN TIME the very next expansion. No justice. No resolution.

I'm FURIOUS. I wanted to be there when Vul'Jin shanked his sorry poisoning ass.

And then done what for the next expansion?

ShadowFox89

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 11, 2013, 10:01:43 PM

Let the game end? Let them rebuild it with better graphics, better gameplay, better storyline?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on November 11, 2013, 11:36:33 PM
Let the game end? Let them rebuild it with better graphics, better gameplay, better storyline?

Considering that it is still the highest grossing MMO, I don't think they are going to rebuild the machine that already works fine.

ShadowFox89

It is? Even with subs going down by more than a million this year? :P

Sure, Blizzard's revenue has gone up, but that doesn't include cash-shops (which I despise) or the other games the Blizzard has (like Starcraft 2 or Diablo).

Guild Wars 2, meanwhile, has stolen the crown of 'fastest selling MMO in the West' and run away with it cackling.

The machine''s busted, time to fix it.

edit: to clarify, I do not mean for anything I say to be offensive.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on November 12, 2013, 12:51:06 AM
It is? Even with subs going down by more than a million this year? :P

Sure, Blizzard's revenue has gone up, but that doesn't include cash-shops (which I despise) or the other games the Blizzard has (like Starcraft 2 or Diablo).

Guild Wars 2, meanwhile, has stolen the crown of 'fastest selling MMO in the West' and run away with it cackling.

The machine''s busted, time to fix it.

edit: to clarify, I do not mean for anything I say to be offensive.

Even with the loss of sub's they are still moving along well.  With the announcement of the new xpac the subs will climb again by huge numbers and dwindle down again as always.  Blizzard still has millions of subs.

Lets not talk about GW2, the game was good for a month then it was dull and boring.  No end game, no better gear than what you could already craft.  It sold well because it was buy and play. 

Dhi

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 12, 2013, 01:05:05 AM
Lets not talk about GW2
Let's do, though, because irrespective of your personal taste, it is a contender.

Buy and play does not reserve a spot for a player during world events. The fact that huge numbers of players were buffered into overflow servers during Rise of Tequatl last month strongly disagrees with the implication that GW2 is not retaining those who buy in.

Shjade

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 11, 2013, 10:01:43 PM

Well, for the Horde at least: rebuild their shattered hierarchy.

I suppose the Alliance could've had plots to either try to mend fences with their neighbors or completely tear apart the now crippled Horde war machine beyond repair.

GW2 just gets a resounding "meh" from me. Gear issues aside, the "endgame" is practically nonexistent. If you've done everything...you've done everything. That's it. The "content updates" most often involve gimmicky fetch quests with the same enemies you've already fought for months prior or events so broken as to be beyond belief. The Queen's Arena stuff? My god.

I don't know how financially successful or unsuccessful the franchise may be, but I know I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a friend asking me for an MMO to play longer than a month.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Shouron

Quote from: Shjade on November 12, 2013, 12:42:55 PM
Well, for the Horde at least: rebuild their shattered hierarchy.

I suppose the Alliance could've had plots to either try to mend fences with their neighbors or completely tear apart the now crippled Horde war machine beyond repair.

GW2 just gets a resounding "meh" from me. Gear issues aside, the "endgame" is practically nonexistent. If you've done everything...you've done everything. That's it. The "content updates" most often involve gimmicky fetch quests with the same enemies you've already fought for months prior or events so broken as to be beyond belief. The Queen's Arena stuff? My god.

I don't know how financially successful or unsuccessful the franchise may be, but I know I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a friend asking me for an MMO to play longer than a month.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. Simply because, after I made the level cap, no matter how much "new content" was added..  There was still nothing to do besides do the same thing that I did making it to the level cap.. Which, from my perspective is simply exploring and doing a bunch of the same dungeons until your mind goes numb from repetition. World vs. World was nice, except trying to find a competent team to run with and pray to sweet Jesus there isn't an army of players waiting outside your spawn point OR at the destination you're trying to get to. Other than that, I can see now why I never heard too many people rave about Guild Wars when it was out. Exciting until you hit the end, then that's it. 
When you look at yourself in the mirror, who is it that stares back at you?

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on November 12, 2013, 12:42:55 PM
Same.  I tell my friends to avoid it, because it's boring.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Dhi

I find WoW boring, conversely, and gave it a plenty fair shake of five years. Since WoW's first year endgame content was Ashbringer, I find most of the arguments against GW2 for lack of gear and lack of endgame pretty absurd. At a month in, you have not finished the game. You are probably not experienced enough to even give dungeons a competent attempt. I'm sure you can decide at the one month mark whether a game is for you or not, so that's fair- but let's be honest about how much of it you breezed through.

Shouron

To be frank, nothing, I maxed out all my crafts explored every area that was relevant to my race.. Forged every gear that was the best without getting 100% (THAT is absurd).. And did every single dungeon at the time more than 6+ times a piece.. I did all of this in a month. So, to be fair, I gave it a fair test. I just hit the limit of my patience with repetition and the first expansion killed the game for me. So, yeah, I hate WoW as well, but that's neither here nor there.

Dhi

Shouron, you can't attempt to forge the best gear until you are 100%. Exotic-tier materials require a skill of 400 to craft, and the new Ascended-tier craftables require the new cap of 500. I'm afraid you're misremembering or I am misunderstanding what you mean.

Shouron

Well, my point was, I did all there was to do without getting 100%. This was prior to the first expansion, which I did experience everything it had to offer when it WAS released, and I wasn't impressed. It was a great game until I reached "the end". Then everything fun about the game quickly fizzled out and it became dull. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret the purchase one bit.. But Guild Wars 2 offers little to people unless you're a completionist or LOVE dungeons and PvP. Other than that, that's about all the game offers.

And exploring but... Eh, I dunno. I ALWAYS hated that.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Shouron on November 12, 2013, 02:08:25 PM
To be frank, nothing, I maxed out all my crafts explored every area that was relevant to my race.. Forged every gear that was the best without getting 100% (THAT is absurd).. And did every single dungeon at the time more than 6+ times a piece.. I did all of this in a month. So, to be fair, I gave it a fair test. I just hit the limit of my patience with repetition and the first expansion killed the game for me. So, yeah, I hate WoW as well, but that's neither here nor there.

Yeah... I really don't think so. It takes more than a month to get all the dungeon pieces, for that alone. I've been playing for over a year and STILL haven't gotten a legendary. If you breeze through the game and don't stop to take in the lore and everything? Then yeah, it's going to be boring. But so is every other game.
Call me Shadow
My A/A