News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yugi006

I don't read the manga so hopefully the anime will adapt everything from the manga.

Haruki

Well, I closed the latest animated chapter for Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation a couple nights ago; the Finale of S2/Cour1 went in the can last Sunday.  I decided to watch this season in sub and in English dub, the former to avoid spoilers (even though I have read up through Vol 16 of the novels).  I couldn't have asked for a more fitting conclusion going into the 6-month break.  I won't spoil for those who have to catch up yet, but considering some of the iffy, if not dark places this series has explored thus far throughout the 37 episodes logged thus far, the conclusion of this arc was honestly on the tame side....if I dare say wholesome and sweet.  The season started off a little rocky....I got the impression the studio wanted to bum-rush through the content presented in Vol 7 of the Light Novels.  That's one of the big issues going from LN text > animated medium.  Things will (and have to be) cut out.  Mainly a lot of inner monologues from characters that add context to events that play out....the 'why such and such was done', 'what the character(s) were feeling/thinking/etc' during events, and so on.

The other 2/3 of the season though proved to me to be far better executed, pretty much all of it centered in and around Ranoa Magic Academy and all the new personalities Rudy runs into.  Some didn't like this arc in the LNs and still couldn't bear it in the anime, but I felt it was a different, nice change of pace for an isekai.....most of which don't even bother with a 'slice of life/academic setting'.  If nothing else, it's been a big set-up arc for what will be coming down the pipe in the 2nd cour and any further seasons forthcoming beyond this point.  Bind continues to impress me with its attention to background/setting art, and while some of the animation in a couple early episodes was on the janky side, no doubt they'll go back to proof/refine for the BluRay uncut versions of these episodes.  From ep4 onward, these guys were back on top of things, this despite many key animators and the OG director of S1 being replaced.

I anxiously await for Cour 2 of this series.  If the LNs are anything to go by, the next few arcs are going to be a roller-coaster.

Other titles I've caught up with or in one case, dropped:

- My Happy Marriage, I was super impressed with.  The little twist about halfway in drove some folks away who were probably expecting this to only be a slow-burn romance, but it kept me invested.  Glad this got a second season greenlit!

- Kenshin (2023), I really don't have much to say with this one.  It's on point with the manga, and LindenFilm (studio), who aren't known for 'knock your socks off' production values from what I heard of them, are actually doing a decent job of retelling this classic 1990s shounen for a new generation.

- Reborn as a Vending Machine just got reupped for another season.  It's a quirky isekai, but like Reincarnated as a Sword before it, this story of a sentient vending machine has a lot of charm to me.

The one I had to toss aside was Sweet Reincarnation.  After 6 episodes, I dropped it.  I'm guessing the LN author was trying to mimic Ascendence of a Bookworm, but this time with a patissier-turned-noble boy as a lead who is obsessed with making sweets and pastries in his new world.  It just comes off flat to me when put up against the journey of 'Main: the little blue-haired bookworm that will, even if it kills her'.  It's a shame too, since Pastry and those around him seem cute and wholesome.

--------

My Fall slate is a bit leaner.  On deck for me:
- Spy x Family S2
- Rising of the Shield Hero S3
- Freiren: Beyond Journey's End
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Starling

Recently? Did a Studio Ghibli binge in an attempt to become a more cultured weeb. (Nausicaa, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle.) I had already watched Arietty, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, and The Wind Rises prior to this, but since the aforementioned six movies all seemed to have good reception, I thought I might give them a shot.)

In the end, I also discovered that for me Ghibli is maybe not as entertaining as for some people. Also, the dialogue was a bit lacking in some of the movies, but maybe that was just the translation. I wasn't a fan of Grave of the Fireflies; it left me empty. However, Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle had their charming, and Ponyo, Nausicaa, and Mononoke were good movies overall. Mononoke and Nausicaa are more for their human vs nature themes, and Ponyo, as it was an interesting take on the Little Mermaid, essentially. While there was quite a bit there to like - the art, some of the characters (I'm looking at you, Turnip Head -- don't ask me why), the worlds, in some places the comedy, - I feel like there was something missing in places. 

I'm also reminded a bit of Disney. That's not a bad thing - I like a lot of Disney movies -, it's just what it feels like. Probably because a lot of the main characters are women/girls, and the movies appear family-oriented -- plus they touch similar themes, although perhaps Ghibli is a bit more varied and bold, but as compared to Western stuff, I feel that's common across anime.
Just your average assistant to a villain.

Shekinah

Can I just say this season is on fire, I mean we got

• The Rising of the Shield Hero part 3
  • Goblin slayer part 2
  • The kingdoms of ruin
  • Undead Unluck
  • The eminence in the Shadow 2
  • Berserk of gluttony
  • A returners magic should be special

I really am enjoying them all, some I really didn't expect much of turned out a good watch so far.

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

Kakihara

So some really good shows this season and some that are just meh.  Certainly my favoirte and the one I had to rave to the one person I can about anime The Apothecary Diaries.  It is set in the courts of China which reminds me of the Raven Consort anime from a few seasons past but with even better characters.  Man, I just love these characters and just watching the interactions between them all and learning them is fun enough but then it does have this underlying mystery and using a more rational mind to solve things.  I do hope they let the main character have some bad moments too and they don't rush any romance angle because that may hurt it too much.  But man, just so enjoying this one I hope it does well as I will need more if they don't mess it up.  

Berserk of Gluttony is a pretty good one too, maybe my second favorite so far this season.  It's got that bleak world of Goblin Slayer and uses it well, not letting it overwhelm things like something like the Kingdoms of Ruin.  It's quite an interesting series.  And then there is Goblin Slayer second season which is good but is too... sameness at the start for my taste.  Following up a great season one and the movie, it just feels a bit weak with what is going, hoping they ramp it up, and fairly sure they will.

Tearmoon Empire is an interesting Isekai where I've seen it in a few books but nothing too much anime yet, though I think they are coming, where the person is reincarnated into their younger self to change themselves and their future.  It's amusing enough and interesting, has a nice cozy feel to it overall.  And then there is I'm in Love with the Villainess which is just hilarious, taking the stock isekai into the romance game they've been playing for a while but giving it an amusing twist where the female protag just has a crush on the bully villainess and thwarts her bullying attempts with love and admiration and wanting it.  

And then there is the one anime I don't get everyone's hype and love for, Frieren: Beyond Journey's End.  Man, one of the most boring openings ever, not sure why they wanted to do a long first episode like Oshi No Ko, it made sense in that one, in this one it just served to put me to sleep and turn it off.  I was too bored from just that first episode that I resisted giving it a chance but everyone was praising the action of the recent episode, Episode 9... it took 9 eps to get to any major action... and it was ok.  Like having watched though it, the characters are interesting and I guess the reason for people liking it is Frieren is a good self insert?  But man, I just don't get the love for this one, like maybe the elf having long life and unable to connect is new to anime/manga but man been there/ done that in fantasy books so nothing ground breaking about this, just... think it's one I'm just not gonna get why people like it.

ChillyCanadian

Really enjoyed Jobless Reincarnation. Can't wait for second Cour for S2. Gonna be quite interesting to see what they throw at him given the rather cheerful/happy place they left him off in. We all know that can't last haha. 

Re-watched all of Attack on Titan in preparation for the finale that dropped earlier this month. After 10 years, was quite satisfying to be able to binge the entire series and really connect the dots on everything. Ending was still depressing AF though, but great anime. 

SOOOOO excited for Scott Pilgrim anime!!!! 

Kakihara

So I guess I have to correct myself as while I found the beginning of Frieren: Beyond Journey's End absolutely boring on first viewing, once it gets into the episode, especially the third and beyond, it starts to pick up.  The whole concept of demons and magic in the worldbuilding is some of the best I've seen in a while.  I have to say the battles in ep 4 and then the showdown in ep 5 may have been some of the best anime of the year, certainly of the fall animes.

Still, I found myself more mesmerized by The Apothecary Diaries and can't wait for more. 

Though one slightly off topic gripe, man why must the two major legitimate places to watch really suck.  HiDive is just a mess as far as interface, both website and app.  It's so ancient in design and not user friendly at all.  And Crunchroll is a little better but I'm always having errors and issues and sometimes they really mess up dubbing listings which is quite annoying.  Man I wish they were better.

Also did anyone watch Butareba -The Story of a Man Turned into a Pig?  I tried getting through the first ep but man, like the world seemed interesting and the female main was interesting but it was really hard to just accept a lead character that's a pig. lol  It was one of the first fall series I gave up on.

Revelation

Delicious in Dungeon's first episode is out - it's the only manga I've actively read in along time, and I watched the first episode. It's fantastic, strong recommendation. I'm not good at synopsis, so I must only leave a hearty recommendation and to go in blind.

Kakihara

I need to get Netflix again in February to watch Delicious in Dungeon, I keep seeing clips and it looks quite well done and interesting.  Just wish their plans didn't suck so have to wait until the series is almost over to grab watch it in one go on a  month subscription.

Ok, A Sign of Affection premiered today.  Went into it knowing nothing about the series and OMG what a pleasant surprise.  It's a manga/anime built around sign language and a romcom about a deaf college student with this guy who is more international, having gone backpacking all over the world.  While Fluffy Paradise may be nailing down the cutest anime, this is just adorably warm so far and such a nice change of pace.  And it's the first time since A Silent Voice I've seen anime tackle deafness so it's quite intriguing to see how things unfold.

Kakihara

So, been watching a lot of the new season of anime and there have been a lot more standouts this year compared to last.  So in no particular order.

Cherry Magic! Thirty Years of Virginity Can Make You a Wizard?!  I was not expecting to like this for a number of reasons but OMG, it's so cute and adorable a story and not like other boylove animes where it's quite a wholesome romance as these two characters come to terms with feelings and confusions.  It's so nice and cozy and adorable!

Villainess Level 99: I May Be the Hidden Boss But I'm Not the Demon Lord - A nice cozy isekai that is unique enough with it's approach and quite like the characters and the concept. 

7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life Married to Her Worst Enemy! - Probably my second favorite anime this season and it's such an intriguing concept and such a wonderful character.  I need more of it when it plays and it feels like the episodes are far too short, a sign of how good it is. 

Tales of Wedding Rings - I wasn't sure what to expect from this one but man it may be the best 'harem' anime yet due to it's concept.  Like the set up where that starts in this world and the guy following his heart to go into a portal after his love, just leads into such a interesting tale. 

The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic - Definitely my favorite anime of the season.  It's so good even my friend who I've been trying to guide in his exploration of anime has loved it.  It has great characters that don't fit in the normal molds and a different take on the genre that just is refreshing.  I know I will probably pick up the manga after the season is over as I will not be satisfied.

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer - An intriguing concept done well. I've seen some manga recaps of ones that tried to do it and quickly turned it off as it was just too dumb.  But this one really builds the world and the characters and makes it feel so very good.  Quite enjoying it.

Though I have to admit my guilty pleasure for this season is definitely Gushing over Magical Girls.  LOL

Inkidu

Quote from: Revelation on January 06, 2024, 10:51:47 AMDelicious in Dungeon's first episode is out - it's the only manga I've actively read in along time, and I watched the first episode. It's fantastic, strong recommendation. I'm not good at synopsis, so I must only leave a hearty recommendation and to go in blind.
I'm really enjoying it.

EDIT: Marcille is best girl.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

askthearrow

Quote from: Revelation on January 06, 2024, 10:51:47 AMDelicious in Dungeon's first episode is out - it's the only manga I've actively read in along time, and I watched the first episode. It's fantastic, strong recommendation. I'm not good at synopsis, so I must only leave a hearty recommendation and to go in blind.
Oh man I need to start delicious in the dungeon I've heard good things with zero spoilers :0

Kakihara

From an anime only perspective, Delicious in the Dungeon seems pretty much just above mid to me.  Maybe it's because in the last few years I've been exposed to more anime and manga than I have in most of my life and gotten to see some great ones, and am not prejudice to the medium like some, but watching the first 5 episodes it's like a 7 out of 10 at best.  Just in the last two seasons The Apothecary Diaries has better plots, both per episodes and overarching, and deep characters and Frieren: Beyond Journey's End has better world building and storytelling, I say that even finding the first two episodes a bit dull but they still did more unique world building.

Delicious just seems so similar to other dungeon delving anime and I've found more cozy anime that just entertains me more, admittedly a personal preference.  I think the one thing that stuck out to me most is the lack of any emotion or care for the thing that is the impetus for the party's adventure, will not go further just for spoilers sake.  It seems more like an excuse that is quickly disregarded other than mentioned once now in Episode 5.  

Also, Fern and Sylphy will always be bestest and best girls. lol

Inkidu

Quote from: Kakihara on February 04, 2024, 05:41:44 PMFrom an anime only perspective, Delicious in the Dungeon seems pretty much just above mid to me.  Maybe it's because in the last few years I've been exposed to more anime and manga than I have in most of my life and gotten to see some great ones, and am not prejudice to the medium like some, but watching the first 5 episodes it's like a 7 out of 10 at best.  Just in the last two seasons The Apothecary Diaries has better plots, both per episodes and overarching, and deep characters and Frieren: Beyond Journey's End has better world building and storytelling, I say that even finding the first two episodes a bit dull but they still did more unique world building.

Delicious just seems so similar to other dungeon delving anime and I've found more cozy anime that just entertains me more, admittedly a personal preference.  I think the one thing that stuck out to me most is the lack of any emotion or care for the thing that is the impetus for the party's adventure, will not go further just for spoilers sake.  It seems more like an excuse that is quickly disregarded other than mentioned once now in Episode 5. 

Also, Fern and Sylphy will always be bestest and best girls. lol
Having looked into both of those anime you mentioned I feel like this is an apples and oranges situation. All three shows feel like they might scratch very different itches to me, but I'm prone to simply enjoying something on the high concept alone.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

crimsonsuffering

I've only just started getting into anime, due to finally having the time! I'm making my way through Attack on Titan but it's so intense I have to take breaks between episodes lol. I also am almost done with Fruits Basket (a very different vibe) and I've loved it so far! Ancient Magus Bride and My Happy marriage have also been fun watches.

I think slice of life/romance is my preferred genre so far, the action sequences of AoT really drain me even though the characters are great. I love horror movies though, so I'm thinking of trying to find some good horror/psychological animes I can sample. 

Shekinah

Tried to watch both Chainsaw man and Attack on Titan once again but once again dropped out before finishing the second episode. They really aren't for me. 

Also started watching Frieren: Beyond Journey's End and god is it beautiful and emotional. This kind of show is something I'm a sucker for. 

My O/O's

Inkidu

I left my big criticisms about Yu Yu Hakusho in the unpopular opinion thread but it can be basically summed up by the phrase: The various transgression brought about by the popularity of Dragonball. It's all still laserbeams and broken power scales rather quickly, and for a spirit detective our protagonist does very little detective work. As someone who enjoys a high concept generally on its merits alone, having that high concept never go anywhere is the most frustrating thing for me. 

All that said the last arc of the story "The Three Kings" is beyond dreadful. I would not be surprised to learn that the creator was just fucking done with the story at that point and wanted to get something out so he could do something else. It just freaking drags and that might be acceptable if there was any real mystery in the show about anything and Yusuke had to do detective work, but it's all low effort melodrama. 

Inkidu

I started watching Demon Slayer. I got to appreciate that it does not mess around with its premise and Taisho-era Japan is not something you see a lot of, even coming out of Japan.

It's got a few of the Shonen stock tropes, but so far it's not banking on the main character actually liking to fight and getting stronger just for the sake of pushing himself. So that's a plus. 

Shekinah

Had another talk this evening about anime with someone online and got the typical question which one what you advice if you had to give people one choice of anime series and one anime movie.

So I gave my typical answer:
If you want action I would say Rurouni Kenshin:trust and betrayal the 4 ova's
If you want fantasy: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
If you want romcom: Toradora
If you want drama: Clannad + after story
If you want just chill: Aria
If you want comedy : Gintama
If you want horror/thriller: death note
If you want sports: cross game

And movies
Any studio Ghibli movie, especially by Hayao Miyazaki
Otherwise go for either Your Name or The Girl who leapt through time

I just can't limit myself when there are so many great ones out there. And to avoid discussion this is just my personal opinion. Everyone has different tastes and once they prefer and that is okay. Just sharing my answer to a question I'm sure everyone here has had before. 

My O/O's

Inkidu

I think my main problem with Demon Slayer (which isn't to say it's bad) is the sense of power scaling. Because it's a little reductive of me to say, but the show basically boils down to relying on the same exchange of:

Tanjiro does amazing feats and trains earnestly all the time, but never has any edge in any fight and basically is rescued from any of the serious ones on a constant basis. 

Basically it's a pattern of: 

Tanjiro trains like hell montage, Tanjiro is never strong enough. Tanjiro trains montage, still not strong enough. 

At some point you're wondering just how stupid the kid is. I know it's an anime but they're not really saying anything about the training or its effectiveness or anything. It's just a convenience to make sure he can witness the next chunk of the plot. Even his cool meaningful moment against one of the Lower Rank baddies had to get subverted. A character having a moment of hard-won victory is not bad writing. Having him have an edge over someone he shouldn't, is not bad writing. 

It really just feels tread out after a while like you're watching the worst parts of Dragonball or something. 

RperSeeker69

I can't say I've watched any anime of late. I suppose the closest thing to anime would be RWBY though I always considered it a cartoon over anime, Ice Queendom might be more anime there just cause it started out with Japanese VA over English. But I digress I rewatched season 9 of RWBY and there is of course the fallout of Rooster Teeth and just watched the animatic for the not filmed episode 11 which was very moving and sad for anyone who has not watched it yet.

In regards to anime I have watched all the way through I did so with Naruto...fell behind on Boruto. I've seen Ouran High School Host Club, Sakura Trick, I made it to season 5 of MHA though I'm more up to date on the manga with that, Need to get back to where I left off on Seven Deadly Sins, Sonic X while a cartoon was I believe the first Sonic to be voiced in Japanese I believe plus a lot of the styling is set around anime, so I've watched that a few times. I've only seen two season of Attack on Titan, I kind of already know what happens in the final season so I kind of stopped watching, I've seen both seasons of Rosario Vampire, um I am sure there are others but yeah.

Shekinah

A new anime version of Spice and Wolf is airing!!!! *screams and goes all fangirl*

Was sad that Frieren ended but so happy with this and the new seasons of Konosuba and Reincarnated as a Slime. ^_^ 

My O/O's

Kakihara

So far, I have to say, the Spring Anime season feels more disappointing than Winter, which just had more intriguing stuff to me.  Though I will say Spring definitely seems to have more shows, and there are still more coming like Kaiju No 8, so reserving judgment.  And glad to see more Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation.  But there are definteily more enjoyable ones but seems too many Isekai and silly shows compared to something like Frieren and Cherry Magic from Winter.

That said, I think An Archdemon's Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride is in the lead for my favorite new anime this season.  I quite like the complex characters and the different approach to the pain of the the two main characters and their world.  The ideas brought up about the strong and the weak are kind of a different take while being wrapped up into this cute romance story.

Also, a small rant, but man I freaking hate that anime has gotten to the point where there are exclusives to streaming services.  Like I know Disney Plus fucked things in the past with Summer Time Rendering, taking forever to sub and put on Western servers, only available in Japan for a while.  And now Netflix appears to have Blue Archive exclusively, at least per their trailers in the past, and it's premiered last week in Japan and no sign of when it will be on Netflix.  It's very annoying as quite stoked to see it as looks good and like the game, but man, who knows when it will be seen.