Elevator Music: A Moderated, Semi-Freeform Game (Interest Check)

Started by The Unholy Potato, April 08, 2010, 06:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Unholy Potato

One of my primary motivators for signing up to Elliquiy, beyond general inability to find high-quality RP was an interest in running a (perhaps several) game(s) of my own. This particular idea has been bouncing around my mind for... mmm... must be weeks, at least, at this point. But enough boring chatter, here's my pitch:

Elevator Music

If you were to seek out a true Modern Babel, the Strait of Dover Aerospace, Commerce, Industrial and Housing Complex would be a good place to start. 35 kilometers long from South Foreland to the adjoining maglev relay on the French shore, nearly 2 kilometers wide and reaching from the seabed to two-hundred stories above the waves in a few places, pathetic words like “massive” or “gigantic” do not even begin to describe the scale of the Channel Strip (as it is commonly called). Having survived a particularly vicious half-century, including the infamous European Reformation Wars, countless riots, imagination-defying firestorms, flooding, hurricanes, tsunamis and a record-setting eight fusion warhead strikes, some have suggested that the Strip will outlast its builders, even that it has a kind of life of its own.

Regrettably, these handful of “crazies” are, generally speaking, correct.

The date is February 2nd, 2139, and humanity has spread over much of the solar system. The Pan-Human Union, alone, consists of some twenty-billion souls, with countless more filling the thousands of habitats orbiting beloved Sol and its satellites.

Of the fifty-odd million people crammed into the Channel Strip, only seven foreign visitors will survive the catastrophes to come, finding themselves isolated and lost within a seemingly-endless maze of metal, plastic and glass. They will face madness, fear, pain, and more unspeakable, impossible things in the depths of the Strip with only each other and the quiet elevator music issuing from the ubiquitous speakers as companions. But if even one escapes, maybe, just maybe, there is hope for mankind and perhaps even the truth itself.

Elevator Music is a survival/horror/sci-fi/fantasy game for seven players. Expect the impossible, the unsettling, numerous challenges from within and without and a slow descent into madness as the borders of reality becomes increasingly unclear. Furthermore, I plan to be playing hardball, so cooperation, resourcefulness, creativity, some amount of planning and excellent roleplaying will not only be rewarded and admired, but also probably necessary for survival (and even then it isn't guaranteed).

Now, for the nitty-gritty.

Each character will be created using the following template.

Name:
Physical Description:
Brief History:
Starting Items/Mods:
Advantages:
Disadvantage:

I assume there will be some clarification required or requested, though the first two should be reasonably self-explanatory. Gender is only male or female, though I realizes that cuts down on the options. Genetic technology has advanced to the point where very exotic genetic manipulations might be possible, but the Pan-Human Union takes a dim view on such things and so most follow suit.

Age has a minimum: 6300 days. For those too lazy to do the math, this comes out to roughly seventeen years and ninety-one days.

Physical description is how your character looks, of course. Don't forget to consider the mod (if any) you have selected in your starting items.

Brief history should also be self-explanatory. Give a brief summary of who this person is, and what they're doing on the strip.

Starting items/mods are the objects that your character has directly on their person or containers that they are carrying (though sufficiently large containers might count as an item in itself). These should all be important or useful items for the character. Also keep in mind the technological advancements that have occurred. While I cannot predict every possibility (though I will do my best to answer any questions about the availability of an idea), here's a rough outline of what's possible.

• Handheld computers with double-digit gigahertz processing speeds are practically as common as shoes.
  • “Mono” items, or blades with impossibly sharp edges are doable, but still pricy and generally restricted, at least for personal uses, as violence is most commonly the intended use and firearms are still more practical.
  • Chemically-based slug throwers are still the predominant personal weapon, though exotic ammunition is nearly common, within reason. Frangible AP rounds, yes. Miniature fusion warheads, no.
  • Massively miniaturized versions of common modern items? Certainly.
  • Somewhat enhanced versions of mundane items, such as backpacks that can also serve as sturdy waterproof shelters or whatnot, can and should still be considered, as they are generally far more durable than their fancier counterparts and can be more versatile, as well.
Also noteworthy is that basic items like ID, a single set of clothing, and such normal items can be added without being one of your choices. This includes a basic multipurpose mobile communication device (including excellent video, audio, games, etc).

And I'm sure that at least some of you are curious about the “mods” part of Items/mods. Cybernetic or Bioengineered enhancement is relatively common, though generally marks the bearer or his or her parents as somewhat well off. While this is obviously oversimplifying things, bioengineered mods should be somewhat less powerful, but are more dependably and effectively meshed with the host. Cybernetic mods are more powerful, but are more likely to clash with the host or fail if mistreated. Here are some ideas of what's possible.

• Basic physical enhancements: enhanced oxygen relays for increased stamina, reinforced skin or muscle for better toughness or strength, ocular replacements for better sight, backup memory banks for perfect memory and so on.
  • Built-in multipurpose communication devices or other tools.
  • Low level healing enhancements, not regeneration, but allowing for better recuperation and recovery with or without aid.

Each character may only have a single mod, and a total of three items/mods.

An advantage is rather simple, it's a thing or skill which sets your character above his or her peers in some way. Each character starts with up to three advantages.

A disadvantage is something that sets your character below his or her peers. Each character starts with one disadvantage. It does not need to be a fatal flaw, but it's something to help define, develop and hinder your character.

Characters may gain or lose advantages and disadvantages as the game progresses.

Six of the characters will be entirely mundane, but the seventh will be the crazy, an otherwise unremarkable person who is harboring what might politely be called "a drastically altered reality matrix." This will fulfill their disadvantage obligation (and likely represent more of a disadvantage than the others), but will also grant them partial resistance to further mental degeneration and possibly some odd insights. This role need not be adversarial (and preferably won't), but may be more interesting or frustrating than other roles, especially after seeing giant cockroaches three times and only having them actually be there once.

This is my first time attempting to run a game on a forum, so please be kind and feel free to ask for clarifications and whatnot. I'll give them as I can.

Most importantly, is anyone interested?

Lynnie

Kiric Rand

sounds fun..... almost like its taking hints from shadowrun. IF you get more people, i think i could roll with this.
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

Nevermore of blood ravens

The Unholy Potato

Quote from: Nevermore of blood ravens on April 08, 2010, 08:09:51 PM
so, how are you going to decide who's the crazy

Honestly? I'm not sure, yet. It depends on how the competition is, and whether or not I get enough people, in the first place. Have patience.

Sorry, this concept just has me really excited. I have a character building in the back of my mind.

Kiric Rand

Quote from: Nevermore of blood ravens on April 08, 2010, 08:24:59 PM
Sorry, this concept just has me really excited. I have a character building in the back of my mind.

Looks like i have you beat then nevermore.... i have a character flushed out already :P

Name: Blake DeGiris (B or Blaze to his friends)

Physical Description: Blake stands about 6'0" and has shoulder length red hair and wide green eyes, giving people the impression he is much younger than he is.. He weighs in at a solid 215, and has a decent build, although he certainly isn't going to win any awards for looks anytime soon. He has a small scar running down the right side of his face from his "initiation", and several other small scars, including a teardrop shaped one on the back of his right hand and one on the inside of his left elbow. He has a tattoo of a red, serpentine dragon coiling around his right arm at the bicep and running all the way to his hand. He is typically seen in street cloths, but owns a wide variety due to his lifestyle (more on that latter).

Brief History: Blake is the sole son of the DeGiris family, his father owns one of the lagrest mining companies in the system, so money has never been a problem. Being able to fulfill any desire one has though makes life boring fast, so at the age of 15 Blake ran from home, trying to prove to everyone that he could actually survive on his own and didn't need "papa" there to bail him out. He ran into a local gang who called themselves the "Burning Dragons" and it was here that Blake learned of his talents at hacking. Since the day of his initiation to the gang, he has been carving out a living by hacking peoples accounts. He arrived at the Channel Strip a few days ago in order to test his skills against the baddest of the bad. If he can make a score here, he will be set for life.

Starting Items/Mods: Blake keeps a few outfits near by, but is most often seen in black slacks and a red leather vest, always wearing a pair of mirrored sunglasses and dress shoes. Depending on the circumstances, he has diffrent clothing to keep up diffrent cons. He keeps a diffrent ID with each outfit in order to play the cons better, and due to his past scores, had enough money stored on his cards in order to afford what he could need. Along with his standard items, he also carries:
(Items) Personal Computer: Blake has a highly upgraded personal handheld computer. He is a hacker after all.
9mm pistol: Standard Issue for all members of the Blazing Dragons, although Blake isn't exactly proficient in it's use
(Mod) Memory Banks: Blake had used some of his ill gotten gains to implant memory banks in his mind in order to better facilitate his lifestyle.

Advantages: Hacker: Blake is able to hack most machines given the time, and he is very good at what he does.
Social Etiquette: Being raised by wealth, Blake knows how to present an eloquent facade, charming and disarming potential targets.
Smooth Talker: Though Blake isn't the strongest person out there, his strength lies in his mind and tongue, and he is very apt in the use of both.

Disadvantage: Disrespect for authority: Blake isn't one to take orders well, and had no problem letting whoever is "in charge" know it.
[Floatright]
[/float]
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-

The Unholy Potato

Well, while I certainly enjoy the enthusiasm, please understand that I am not yet accepting characters. Feel free to leave yours there, but understand that the game is not even certain to exist, at this point. I would like my seven, if possible, before starting. However, I think that your character is as good an example as any of the generics that I had cooked up, in the case of questions regarding what a character ought to look like after creation.

Anyone else interested can feel free to add a character, even if they are after the seventh applicant, as there is always the possibility of replacement.

I will be gone until rather late, tomorrow, due to some unfortunate scheduling, so I will not be able to help with any questions until at least 9 PM EST/8 PM CST

bloody hell you did.

Name:   Alexi aka: Tank
Physical Description:
At 7'4" 190lbs Tank makes for a large target. Although he lacks the muscle structure to tote around his favorite weapon the exoskeleton he wears more than makes up for it, although it is usually hidden by the white trench coat he wears although it can be seen over his oxblood leather pants.
Brief History:
his life is a blur of fights and loves, none of it worth mentioning other then his military training
Starting Items/Mods:
(mod) exoskeleton that gives him exceptional strength
Bio-Chemical gasmask
.50 Auto pistol in black chrome plating
Advantages:
Military training. He preforms well under pressure and has a firm grasp of tactics
Intimidation, many foes are intimidated by his size and the size of his gun

Disadvantage: Slow speed. His exoskeleton decreases his speed greatly

Lynnie

I'll post mine tomorrow or on Sunday work is screwing with my posting time

Kiric Rand

no problem man, sorry about jumping the gun, i just like to get a character witten down as soon as it hits, because i tend to lose things after a short bit.
[Floatright]
[/float]

Lynnie

Isn't it? I cant wait for more people to into it and join up!

The Unholy Potato

Nevermore, while I do very much hate to be a spoilsport, I will need you to modify your character at least a little bit before I fell that I can allow it. First of all, brand name weapons do give a bit of character, but understand that the firearms that are used in this game, while similar to those with which we are familiar nowadays, are significantly more advanced and refined. Using either of the weapons that you have there would be akin to using a Smith & Wesson No. 3 Revolver or other antique firearm for anything other than the sheer self-induldgent joy of doing so.

Secondly, I will have to tell you that a machine gun or other heavy weaponry is not an option. All of the characters are visitors to the Strip, not soldiers for it, and while the authorities are quite lenient as to what they allow in, would not allow something of that sort it was unless sufficiently concealed or disassembled. I can promise that you will have the chance to pick up other things of the sort, later, but not to begin with.

The Unholy Potato

Thanks for being understanding, Nevermore. I don't mean to damage your concept too badly by mandating that you make the changes that I listed.

The Unholy Potato

I hate to do this, as it comes dangerously to bumping the thread, but I think I need to do so, anyway.

I greatly appreciate all of you who have expressed interest, and I will still be happy to run this game if I can get characters from everyone. However, given that there has been very little action on this thread in the 24 hours or so, so I worry that the initial period of relatively high-interest has already passed. More characters could possibly be added later, if more players came forward as interested.

I will probably change my plans a little bit to accommodate for the fact that there will be three fewer characters than I had initially intended, but theme would remain the same, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

I would like to say, even if it took months to get enough characters, I would still have immense interest in this particular game.

KittyRivera

This sounds awfully fun. I'd be happy to join, if you're still accepting.

The Unholy Potato

Quote from: satindesire on April 11, 2010, 02:13:25 AM
This sounds awfully fun. I'd be happy to join, if you're still accepting.

Well, that was mildly surprising, but yes, of course I am still accepting people interested in playing, and will continue to do so, perhaps even after the initial quota of seven people have been reached.

Quote from: Nevermore of blood ravens on April 11, 2010, 01:15:45 AM
I would like to say, even if it took months to get enough characters, I would still have immense interest in this particular game.

Hopefully, that won't be an issue, as I said, if necessary, I would be happy to start the game with fewer characters than initially planned in order to facilitate some sort of action rather than letting interest stagnate over time.

Again, though, I would greatly appreciate it if those interested could post their character ideas as soon as possible, so that I might be able to give meaningful feedback and generally get this show on the road.

Oh, I know. I've just been waiting for a game like this for almost three years now.