Steffy's Magic Shop

Started by Steffy, July 04, 2018, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mechelle

I jerk up, hearing my name mentioned.

"You are welcome at the Steel Horse whether or not you wear a hat. I don't think we have ever had a hat night there which is a possible idea for a theme night.

Sadly, though, even one of our ex-Lacy players doesn't feel too welcome there at the moment."

Flower

Whenever those problems happen, I think it's best to discuss it with the person in private messages. Hopefully it works out. (^^)

Steffy

Quote from: Mechelle on July 09, 2018, 04:20:57 PM

. . .  Sadly, though, even one of our ex-Lacy players doesn't feel too welcome there at the moment."

Steffy Gossip Girl
And the juicy details please!  Oo la la!  This is like a preamble to a girls' night out. “I heard that she (whisper, whisper)”   This party could be themed, but we have to snag E people of a non-Lacy ilk.  Ya?  Coven! Apply thinking caps!  Magicians! Apply thinking caps!  Cats! Apply thinking caps!  Other!  Apply thinking caps!

OOPSY!!! This is the re-edit part after reading Flower.  If it's private, yes--keep it that way.  But if it's part of public events or it's just the story of the Steelhorse, no oopsy.  Story v. RL conflict in the site that needs private resolving.  I know Mechelle gets that, always has.  I trust her.  Sooooo, do tell if it's appropriate.

Mechelle

I have said in the Steel Horse that I respect her choosing to leave, after apologising if she thought I was ignoring her, but she is always welcome to return if she reconsiders.

Courtney

Hey all! You've probably noticed but the Magic Shop Index is up and running. Please pm me or post here any feedback you may have. This could include any of the following:

• Things I missed from the magic shop
  • A different nickname than what I supplied
  • My layout design causing migraines, seizures, etc.
  • Typos
  • Any other suggestions, really

Onto the Steel Horse issue. I really wasn't trying to ignore her. It's just that I strive really hard to stay in character, and when she writes that I came to the table, when no such thing happened, it sorta leaves me pigeon holed into writing something that doesn't match my character's current mental state. I did say hi, and was preparing tea and such for her, so I wasn't really ignoring her, so much as just playing my role.

I will pm her to make sure she understands this.

Steffy

Steffy who has been a Lacy waitress (yes, Mechelle--I tell you I was there, just different shifts) knows once in a while a customer can get huffy.  Waitresses are always watchful and caring.  (Of course, it's the type of thing where the player may even choose to leave in a snit.  This is overcome usually by saying hello to everyone when one enters a bar and waitresses shouting 'who's next?'.  Alas and alack, some girls are missed.) 

Edit addition: I did not know the waitress was Courtney.  Sounds exactly like what I described.  AND I've consciously not looked over C's shoulder with the construction of the LIST.  I'll take a look.  Yay Courtney.  (Award pending).

Steffy

C—I looked!  OKAY! JUST EFFFFING-UNBELIEVABLY-GREAT!!!!!!!! 

Courtney

I explicitly was not playing waitress. My deal with Mechelle IC was that I would only help until she got a full time staff hired and only if I could stay anchored behind the bar,  (figuratively, not literally anchored - have to explain that for the uber blonde). I'm thinking maybe when I play there going forward, I may have to denote that with every post, sorta like what Jaclyn does with here signature thingy at the start of each of her posts.

P. S.  Thanks Steffy! On a side note, I was really happy I didn't have to update the links when the magic shop moved.

Flower

I'm sorry to be the stick in the mud but the really isn't the place for grievances with other writers. Imagine how you would feel if it was you being discussed in a public space rather than someone else. For everyone's comfort, that should be discussed in private messages. *I am not a member of staff. This is just my opinion. xD

Also, the index looks magical. (^^)

Mechelle

Good advice, Flower, and I didn't think you were at any fault, Courtney; if anything, I was being critical of myself when I brought it up.

Steffy

Teacher who looks like Steffy

Okay!  Good exchange of views.  Steffy stands by her posts.  Everyone stands by their posts.  Agree to disagree and adults continue to be adults.

AND Magic Shop continues.  Mucho fun!  Chat encouraged.  I’m not even against whomever was miffed to come on over and join us here.  Probably anything more on that aspect of the Steel Horse is beating a dead horse. Mechelle—that’s a US expression.  It’s still a great idea for Girls’ Night out!

Steffy

Kit Cat

Courtney, that index looks wonderful (and its a sign you know cats, sticking them in Dark Magic!)

Steffy

(Pout!) 
“No! I wouldn’t say I was a dumbass!  That’s not polite.
I will admit that I asked (rather nicely) for a short writing on where to locate things on E.  How was I to know it was there in great elaboration? . . . ”

The famous location question of what neighborhood for the Magic Shop resulted in a studied placement and then re-placement. 
(Read above for our perilous move to a different location; t-shirts ‘I Survived The Move’ are being made as we speak). 
I now know that important information is right here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=34268.0
(Pout!)

Steffy

“I have to say I was just bowled over by Courtney’s Spell book.  Magicians, do not neglect careful review and suggestions of additions or other things.”   

Courtney, I award thee:

Next, I hear rumblings from outside.  Magically, as I look out, they’re playing cricket (I don’t think it’s the other English sport, soccer—err, football).

“Hey mates, that ‘bowl over’ thing.  Getting bowled over doesn’t always mean something cool.  It’ll be a dark day for us cricketers if we get bowled over.  How about some magical potion for your neighbors?”

I look at the magicians, “I think that’s Jack.  I’ll call him Cracker Jack.  Anyways, bowled over is exactly what I was when I saw the book.  Now I hope Ames and Flower and the rest are familiar with Cracker Jacks.”  (Smile at my clever weaving of s’more conversation on to Cracker Jacks). 

Jaclyn

Jaclyn Rosendahl
Entrepreneur
About Jaclyn

  Someone earlier here, maybe the charming Ames, posted a divider between one piece of a post and another. I went in search of these sorts of things and found what follows for free and I donated a couple of bucks to the creator too. So feel free to use these, they're both free and paid for since we're not making a penny for posting our brilliant witticisms here. Oh, you may want to resize these using the width= control inside the img tag and you may want to watch the line spacing or use padding in the img tag. If you're feeling creative, open your favorite in GIMP, select the black, and recolor it to your favorite.

Mechelle

Quote from: Steffy on July 10, 2018, 08:11:29 AM
“I have to say I was just bowled over by Courtney’s Spell book.  Magicians, do not neglect careful review and suggestions of additions or other things.”   

Courtney, I award thee:

Next, I hear rumblings from outside.  Magically, as I look out, they’re playing cricket (I don’t think it’s the other English sport, soccer—err, football).

“Hey mates, that ‘bowl over’ thing.  Getting bowled over doesn’t always mean something cool.  It’ll be a dark day for us cricketers if we get bowled over.  How about some magical potion for your neighbors?”

I look at the magicians, “I think that’s Jack.  I’ll call him Cracker Jack.  Anyways, bowled over is exactly what I was when I saw the book.  Now I hope Ames and Flower and the rest are familiar with Cracker Jacks.”  (Smile at my clever weaving of s’more conversation on to Cracker Jacks).

Surely, Steffy, whether or not bowling over is a good thing must depend on your point of view. The batsman might not want to see the wicket go flying when it's bowled over, but the bowler would!

There is also an expression of bowling a maiden over. I know this will conjure up images (Steffy?) but an over is the sequence of six balls which a bowler bowls before another bowler bowls another six balls from the other end of the wicket. If the batsman, or batsmen, fail to score a run from those six balls, then that is a maiden over.

Edited - I have just thought that could be confusing. A wicket can be both the set of sticks which the batsman tries to defend with his bat, but it's also the area between the two sets of sticks at either end of the, er, wicket. Clear, I hope?

Kit Cat

Quote from: Mechelle on July 10, 2018, 04:46:09 PM
Surely, Steffy, whether or not bowling over is a good thing must depend on your point of view. The batsman might not want to see the wicket go flying when it's bowled over, but the bowler would!

There is also an expression of bowling a maiden over. I know this will conjure up images (Steffy?) but an over is the sequence of six balls which a bowler bowls before another bowler bowls another six balls from the other end of the wicket. If the batsman, or batsmen, fail to score a run from those six balls, then that is a maiden over.

Edited - I have just thought that could be confusing. A wicket can be both the set of sticks which the batsman tries to defend with his bat, but it's also the area between the two sets of sticks at either end of the, er, wicket. Clear, I hope?

I can just hear Aggers and Vaughan talking about this on TMS, my dear old thing!

Better not go into the pigeons too, Mechelle, it confuses people!

I might be on a sticky wicket there (now that's another image!)

Steffy

Wondering, wondering

Now that I’m an expert in cricket (wink at Mechelle, trying to pet shop cat), . . .

ILLUSTRATIONS.  That’s what I'm wondering about.  Graphic things.  Here’s what I mean: when one illustrates a point, graphics help.  An arrow, a circle—things like that.  For instance, my Reply #91 on Autocorrect could have used an arrow pointing at a spot.  Or the circle thing on Courtney’s tip in the Index—rounder, bigger.  Things like that.  Soooo . . . summoning all magicians!  Help please.

Amelita

Do you mean adding stuff into an image (via gimp or photoshop or the like) or do you mean where to find symbols to add to text?

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Jaclyn

What Ames asked. Something like this or what?

I did this on Windows 10 with the Snipping Tool, paste the capture into PowerPoint, add the arrow, copy the whole thing into GIMP and saved it there.

Steffy

Quote from: Amelita on July 11, 2018, 09:09:02 AM
Do you mean adding stuff into an image (via gimp or photoshop or the like) or do you mean where to find symbols to add to text?
I'd say, to begin, adding stuff to a picture like an arrow, or circling an item, for instance circling a quote button.  Like what Jaclyn did with her illustration. 

Are there typical items? A source for those?

But Ames I'm intrigued by your question about where to find symbols to add to text.  What can you tell us on that?

p.s. I think I'm going to award Cracker Jacks next. (Smile - issue of the day, if Jaclyn gets such an award, will she add it to her signature?)

Steffy

Steffy - Devilish or Angelic?

For just once, someone might say, “Oh sage one, yes, you Steffy! good advice that.”  I don’t think this suggestion will be one of those, but I shall not be pessimistic!

Anyways, I found a site which when used can direct folks along on a search. I, of course, found it fun.  Another person, when told, thought it was the height of sarcasm, that when sent suggested someone was dull or lazy.  So is it devilish or angelic (note cute icons for that, huh?)?

1. Steffy’s Illustration
2. Help a friend! Yay!

Jaclyn

Quote from: Steffy on July 11, 2018, 11:37:30 AM
I'd say, to begin, adding stuff to a picture like an arrow, or circling an item, for instance circling a quote button.  Like what Jaclyn did with her illustration.

Are there typical items? A source for those?

But Ames I'm intrigued by your question about where to find symbols to add to text.  What can you tell us on that?

p.s. I think I'm going to award Cracker Jacks next. (Smile - issue of the day, if Jaclyn gets such an award, will she add it to her signature?)

The way I did it in PowerPoint, the source was PowerPoint Shapes. I see no reason one couldn't use Google Slides (the presentation app Google provides) or Apache OpenOffice Impress or LibreOffice Impress, all of which are free.

Also take a look at what Opensource.com has to say about free tools.

PS., I only have space for two Steffy awards. And hate Jacker Cracks because I was gypped as a kid on a two bit ring. So draw your own conclusions.

Amelita

Well first off, premade shapes and symbols to add to a picture in gimp or photoshop are all over the internet. Just google what you need and add "transparent" as color option in the google search engine (found under search tools if memory serves).
Open gimp or photoshop, click and paste the image there onto the one you wanna edit, and save. If you aren't familiar with gimp or photoshop this won't help, though. I have no tricks for editing pictures without them.

As for symbols...

I present my source: http://jaffagazanian.tumblr.com/post/5528389956/cool-characters-symbols

Copy paste, resize and color away ;)

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red