News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Roleplaying Mediums

Started by mewmastermrr, November 10, 2017, 12:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mewmastermrr

Hello everyone! I don't post very often outside my own search ads, but the last few days have had me thinking about something. I used to do a lot of my roleplaying on the old Yahoo Messenger before I moved to Skype, and from there I shifted over to Emails as my main focus of getting messages back and forth to my RP partners. For the last number of years, I've kept with emails for it being a rather simple and reliable way of sending posts back and forth and given that we at E can often delve into more "adult" themes, it looks a lot less conspicuous to open up your email than to be writing a really long message on an IM format.

Anyways, my main focus in this thread was the intent to try and break from my "email only" format since it seems for so many people, it's an incredible turn-off and a deal-breaker. Skype would probably be my best alternative since I'm already familiar with it, but I wanted to see what other non-forum players used and what they would more strongly suggest. I've heard Discord being used a lot more often lately, and while I do use it for chatting in both text and voice, I want to know how well it cleans up for roleplaying logs.

Anyone's suggestions are welcome, and thanks for your time in reading this~

RedRose

I used to RP a lot through email, but it isn't the most practical to re-read the whole story. I discovered Google docs and when I learned how to use it I never looked back. Nowadays my favorite places are either pms here, or GD.
I'm ok with Google chat for OOC planning, especially for a co-writer I "know" a little bit.
I wouldn't do anything voice unless I really, really trusted the person, "swapping pics" level of trust. Not saying it's impossible, but mighty rare.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

wander

I just keep my rp stuff to this site right now, whether it's on the boards, in a PM thread or even the odd IRC venture.

I had tried e-mail before, though if you get stuck with a... 'disruptive' partner, that can cause some real hassle. I don't have Skype on my computer, so can't talk on that and google docs seems such a turn-off for me tbh.

I generally posit that if someone is a bit lax to be more public with their kinks, there's always PMs. This site is great for the feeling of being protected from those who would troll or be a nuisance. Before coming to this site I've been burned elsewhere and I like that things here are more open and somewhat less judgemental with a generally better membership than other places out there.

SithLordOfSnark

I roleplay through anything that isn't an instant messaging service.

So email, PM, threads, etc.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

mewmastermrr

Quote from: RedRose on November 10, 2017, 01:50:50 PM
I used to RP a lot through email, but it isn't the most practical to re-read the whole story. I discovered Google docs and when I learned how to use it I never looked back. Nowadays my favorite places are either pms here, or GD.

I can agree that it's not the most practical, but it's still a lot better than some alternatives. I used to try and copy-paste entire sections from a chat log to try and get the whole story tucked away, but it was always a bit rough. Been considering Google Docs for a while, but I've been wary of how 'open' it might actually be. Any suggestions on a tutorial or info on how to use it privately?

Quote from: wander on November 10, 2017, 02:17:06 PM
I had tried e-mail before, though if you get stuck with a... 'disruptive' partner, that can cause some real hassle. I don't have Skype on my computer, so can't talk on that and google docs seems such a turn-off for me tbh.

I generally posit that if someone is a bit lax to be more public with their kinks, there's always PMs. This site is great for the feeling of being protected from those who would troll or be a nuisance. Before coming to this site I've been burned elsewhere and I like that things here are more open and somewhat less judgemental with a generally better membership than other places out there.

I think we've all be burned by someone as far as RP is concerned. (Hey, that rhymed. :D ) But I don't quite get how a partner can be 'disruptive'..
I certainly don't want to imply any bad-mouthing of E in saying this, but PMs and forum RP never really works out for me. It's not the trolls or nuisances that bother me, but rather the feeling of openness and judgement in the content being played. PMs lack the judgement, but they can be worse to try and filter and piece together on a successive story. Unless I'm missing some kinds of settings or functions that allow it...

wander

As far as PMs go, go to Change Settings at the left of the Inbox and click the first setting to 'view as conversation'.

This will make that long list of PMs you default get seperate into threads based on the sender and replies sent to the PMs you send and get and is much more organised. Honestly that setting should be the default.

Anyways, it's far easier to make a PM rp that way, as when you reply to the first IC PM, it'll appear below it in it's own thread that you can easily follow.

mewmastermrr

Quote from: wander on November 10, 2017, 06:07:55 PM
As far as PMs go, go to Change Settings at the left of the Inbox and click the first setting to 'view as conversation'.

This will make that long list of PMs you default get seperate into threads based on the sender and replies sent to the PMs you send and get and is much more organised. Honestly that setting should be the default.

That... That was actually very simple and I should have found it sooner. I thought the settings were for rules and labels, not the messages themselves. Thank you so much for that. xD

RedRose

Yeah, my pms present as a thread. It's the best. I also don't like that some people will hound you if you post for someone else before, or assume you're always a vanilla/extreme/historical/whatever writer because they chanced upon such a thread first. I have a whole shpil about that in my O/O...

Google docs is as private as you make it. By default only you can read your document. You set it up and share the address with your co-writer. There's an option to make it public online, I have never used it. You can also give reading but not editing rights... I know many people who use it for novel writing and totally trust it.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: RedRose on November 11, 2017, 08:32:55 AM
Yeah, my pms present as a thread. It's the best. I also don't like that some people will hound you if you post for someone else before, or assume you're always a vanilla/extreme/historical/whatever writer because they chanced upon such a thread first. I have a whole shpil about that in my O/O...

Google docs is as private as you make it. By default only you can read your document. You set it up and share the address with your co-writer. There's an option to make it public online, I have never used it. You can also give reading but not editing rights... I know many people who use it for novel writing and totally trust it.

I just changed my PMs to do the same. That's awesome.

I am on the same fence about people badgering you because you replied to someone else first - I hate it.

Or people assuming we won't mesh just based on my prior RPs - I don't have a specific style and it changes depending on my partner.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

mewmastermrr

Quote from: RedRose on November 11, 2017, 08:32:55 AM
I also don't like that some people will hound you if you post for someone else before, or assume you're always a vanilla/extreme/historical/whatever writer because they chanced upon such a thread first. I have a whole shpil about that in my O/O...

Google docs is as private as you make it. By default only you can read your document. You set it up and share the address with your co-writer.
Quote from: SithLordOfSnark on November 11, 2017, 09:03:34 AM
I am on the same fence about people badgering you because you replied to someone else first - I hate it.

Or people assuming we won't mesh just based on my prior RPs - I don't have a specific style and it changes depending on my partner.

Agreed, and it's that exact kind of judgement that I often worry about; Not all judgement is necessarily bad, but first impressions and presumptions can really make or break a partnership.
After fiddling with GD for an hour or so to learn how it works, it really doesn't look that bad. My only issue would be having to change my email, since my name is tied into my google account and I don't want that showing off to the world. But that's a non-issue, really..

Anyways, thanks to the few who responded here so quickly! I've adjusted my search ads for my new formats, and hope you all have a good weekend~

Caeli

It's a bit more of a hassle and obviously you lose getting notifications to your main account, but I use an Elliquiy specific Gmail account that is completely separate in all ways from my "real life" personal. If privacy is a concern (it's a very legitimate one!) you can always go that route, and then Google Docs could be used in that case without any fear of losing that privacy.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Kaspider

My roleplaying/Elliquiy email is completely different from my main and I like to keep it like that. I used to rp in my Gmail emails a lot but now I find the app lagging when the email thread gets bigger. Also the format is not threaded so there's no option you can look back (you have to search through emails to look back).

So I keep mine here on the threads. And I'm about to start one at Google Docs. Pretty excited about that. I write my replies in Google Docs anyway then paste it here. It's best that way.

Skype, yahoo and Discord and other IM services are for chatting only purposes, strictly.
I don't see the future. I don't worry about the past. Now's all I have.

mewmastermrr

Quote from: Caeli on November 12, 2017, 12:29:38 AM
It's a bit more of a hassle and obviously you lose getting notifications to your main account, but I use an Elliquiy specific Gmail account that is completely separate in all ways from my "real life" personal. If privacy is a concern (it's a very legitimate one!) you can always go that route, and then Google Docs could be used in that case without any fear of losing that privacy.

It's mostly the ease-of-access to my main account that turns me off a bit. If they had a separate login feature for it where I could stay logged in over long periods of time, that'd be great. Otherwise, I'll just have to put up with it. :P

Quote from: Kaspider on November 12, 2017, 12:46:05 AM
My roleplaying/Elliquiy email is completely different from my main and I like to keep it like that. I used to rp in my Gmail emails a lot but now I find the app lagging when the email thread gets bigger.

So I keep mine here on the threads. And I'm about to start one at Google Docs. Pretty excited about that. I write my replies in Google Docs anyway then paste it here. It's best that way.

I have my RP locked into a Ymail account (Yahoo Mail), and I have the same issue when trying to write a reply. The entire site just kinda lags out from trying to keep up.
Hope the Google Docs starts up smoothly for you though!