What's in the News? 2.0

Started by Tolvo, January 16, 2019, 05:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tolvo

I'll clarify I wasn't saying you were wrong to say what you said, simply I was explaining further context as to why people are unhappy with Pewdiepie about that and that Pewdiepie likely knows about these things and just feigns ignorance when he gets caught. Mentioning he edited the video is fine and a lot of people haven't actually watched the video Pewdiepie recommended so they don't know the content that Pewdiepie recommended just that they've been told the creator is a Neo Nazi.

Before anyone misreads that statement as well, I always use very specific language such as saying "alleged," this is not me stating as a fact Pewdiepie is already aware, but that likely he does because the scenarios in which he doesn't are highly unlikely. And would mean Pewdiepie is constantly incredibly reckless and has no care for quality or understanding or knowing anything and just shares totally random videos, which he doesn't share totally random videos.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tolvo

Glad they got the guy, seriously still so gross.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gawker-writers-quit-over-editorial-director-carson-griffiths-offensive-tweets-workplace-comments/?via=twitter_page

So the Gawker 2.0 entire journalist team(Two people) have quit due to mistreatment and various other problems. According to them their lead editor would make really offensive remarks and would act incredibly inappropriately in the work place. After bringing this up to HR who stated they would do nothing about her they decided to leave. And Daily Beast has looked over the emails and messages to confirm she really did say and do those things.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/27-year-citing-virginity-constant-rejections-threatened-kill/story?id=60532843&cid=social_twitter_abcn

A man was arrested after threatening to kill women in public in a mass shooting over his hatred of women and general Incel stuff.

https://www.newsweek.com/sarah-sanders-dismisses-ocasio-cortez-climate-warning-well-leave-it-much-much-1301197?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter

Sarah Sanders on Fox News has dismissed Ocasio Cortez and claimed people should not believe in climate change and leave it up to a "Higher Authority."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/covington-overcorrection/580987/

A good look at the incident with the MAGA teenagers taunting the Native American protester and how there is further context due to the other racist group there yelling and taunting people in opposition to them, but that it still doesn't excuse their actions and that people are now trying to over correct to paint the racist teenagers as having done nothing wrong(Including people in the White House). Keep in mind the family of the main teenager hired a PR firm to write everything for them and coach them after the incident so everything from them has actually been taught to them and written by the PR firm.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2019/01/23/utah-lawmaker-wants/

Following the Supreme Court calling for the enforcement of Trump's Transgender Military ban(Though they did not rule it legal, just that they want it enforced) lawmakers are trying to introduce bills to remove the ability to change sex/gender on birth certificates. And that trans people will be required to identify as their birth assignment.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/23/687636057/massachusetts-school-defends-use-of-electric-shock-treatments?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190123

The FDA is planning to ban a form of backpack with batteries that students with disabilities are required to wear at a specific private school that shocks them when they misbehave.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/9/18174631/old-people-fake-news-facebook-share-nyu-princeton

A look into how older people tend to share more fake news stories(Likely due to lack of digital literacy).

Missy

Quote from: Tolvo on January 22, 2019, 11:25:48 PM
I'll clarify I wasn't saying you were wrong to say what you said, simply I was explaining further context as to why people are unhappy with Pewdiepie about that and that Pewdiepie likely knows about these things and just feigns ignorance when he gets caught. Mentioning he edited the video is fine and a lot of people haven't actually watched the video Pewdiepie recommended so they don't know the content that Pewdiepie recommended just that they've been told the creator is a Neo Nazi.

Before anyone misreads that statement as well, I always use very specific language such as saying "alleged," this is not me stating as a fact Pewdiepie is already aware, but that likely he does because the scenarios in which he doesn't are highly unlikely. And would mean Pewdiepie is constantly incredibly reckless and has no care for quality or understanding or knowing anything and just shares totally random videos, which he doesn't share totally random videos.

I never inferred you made any suggestion, merely that I hold my opinions as subject to fact which can make them fluid in a way humans seem to fail to grasp the value of.

Tolvo

Ah alright, just wanted to state it in case you felt I was being condescending or something. But if you didn't then I was just over clarifying.

Missy

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Tolvo

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wjmqmq/upcoming-version-of-google-chrome-will-make-it-harder-to-block-ads

It looks like Adblock extensions are going to be heavily broken on Chrome in the future and will be severely limited in what they can block.

https://www.bundeskartellamt.de/SharedDocs/Meldung/EN/Pressemitteilungen/2019/21_01_2019_Eyeo_Google.html;jsessionid=774455D54B65CCA12AA95A511DBA6BA8.2_cid387

Though worryingly, the changes are coming after Google got a deal to get their specific ads and content shown to Adblock Plus users, and Adblock Plus is the one blocker that will be allowed full functionality on Chrome. So Google may be trying to use their market dominance to force people to see only ads they approve and their content over others.

TheGlyphstone

No wonder Google removed 'Don't be evil' from their code of conduct.

AmberStarfire

Lustful Bride

Oniya

Quote from: Avis habilis on January 24, 2019, 12:54:08 PM
Also in Thailand a couple of years back. Looks like they were just biding their time.

I've heard of toilet snakes in other places, too.  Fairly sure that Florida Man has encountered one or two.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Twisted Crow

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna961916

Relieved to see this on the news after following it these past few days, that gal in Boston and her kidnapping was apparently resolved.

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Avis habilis on January 24, 2019, 12:54:08 PM
Also in Thailand a couple of years back. Looks like they were just biding their time.

Poor guy. That's horrific. So much blood. :/

Quote from: Oniya on January 24, 2019, 01:51:10 PM
I've heard of toilet snakes in other places, too.  Fairly sure that Florida Man has encountered one or two.

I've encountered a toilet spider before (a large huntsman). It was freaky.

Oniya

Most cases I've read about were discovered before the homeowner actually sat on the toilet. 

TheGlyphstone

The euphemism 'trouser snake' is not supposed to be that literal.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on January 24, 2019, 01:51:10 PM

There was a boa snake emerging in an apartment toilet here in Sweden too, only last year. Not a fully grown one, though. :)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Tolvo

https://rewire.news/legislative-tracker/law/utah-vital-statistics-act-amendment-hb-153/

We know more about the Utah bill to force people to have on their birth certificates their assigned birth gender. It seems to define a male as someone who has testicles, and a female as someone who has ovaries. And defines this by ability to impregnate others or be impregnated. And says there are only two genders, male and female, but also that people can be born that are "Undetermined." Which kind of breaks that, and also means a lot of cis people won't be considered male or female.

Oniya

Quote from: Tolvo on January 24, 2019, 07:14:43 PM
And defines this by ability to impregnate others or be impregnated.

So... a sterile person would be - what?  If someone was born with ovaries, but with no uterus (Müllerian agenesis), they wouldn't be able to become impregnated. 

Tolvo

This is a common problem with bioessentialism and anything that tries to define cis women as women but not trans or intersex women as women, there is no way to define womanhood in a bioessentialist way without excluding a lot of cis women. Then vice versa in regards to cis men, trans men, and intersex men. Defining biology as determining gender runs into this problem a lot since a lot of the population has variance in regards to this. So even if trans and intersex people didn't exist, would still exclude a lot of cis men or cis women. Especially considering a lot of people who are considered cis women don't even have XX chromosomes and chromosomes are considered an outdated model even for determining sex characteristics. Many people considered cis women have turned out when tested to not have XX chromosomes and have had other variations, there are more combinations and types. XXY, XO, XXO, and genotypes and phenotypes can contradict one another completely. Scientific, medical, and sociological understanding has advanced but a lot of public knowledge of it hasn't and people are still around who grew up learning in school incredibly outdated models, especially considering many of these things have been understood since the mid 1900's. And as you mention, a lot of these bioessentialist definitions focus on reproduction so if someone is not able to reproduce they can be considered without a gender, without a function to society. Which is pretty disturbing to define people's identity's and worth by their bodies. You probably know a lot of or possibly all of this already Oniya more so just meant for the conversation.

Skynet

Quote from: Oniya on January 24, 2019, 08:19:16 PM
So... a sterile person would be - what?  If someone was born with ovaries, but with no uterus (Müllerian agenesis), they wouldn't be able to become impregnated.

Something something Quiverfull Movement something something baby-making factory determines your worth.

Oniya

Quote from: Tolvo on January 24, 2019, 08:42:36 PM
And as you mention, a lot of these bioessentialist definitions focus on reproduction so if someone is not able to reproduce they can be considered without a gender, without a function to society. Which is pretty disturbing to define people's identity's and worth by their bodies. You probably know a lot of or possibly all of this already Oniya more so just meant for the conversation.

Exactly - and I probably should have expected that sort of thing from Utah.  (Not sure how I missed out on that particular detail.)  I've got a sister-in-law who has DES uterus - due to my mother-in-law taking DES to even carry her and my husband to term.  So, once you start saying 'can be impregnated'... yeah, this is something in my circle.