Interest Check: Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Tal Dorei Adventure

Started by JessLowell12, October 08, 2018, 09:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessLowell12

Wow so much interest! That makes me so happy!

We do have room for everyone, but this is where we will close it for now, as I do not currently have an assistant DM.

If anyone is interested in DMing with me, please feel free to shoot me a PM!

Anyway, I've created the character application thread already; https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=294513.msg14440889#msg14440889

And here is the wiki again for Tal Dorei; http://criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/Tal%27Dorei_(continent)

Vergil1989

So what about any of the questions some of us have asked?  Just making sure they're noticed.  :D

That aside, glad you approve of all the interest Jess.  See ya soon with a character hopefully.  ;D
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

JessLowell12

Quote from: Vergil1989 on October 10, 2018, 03:04:36 PM
So what about any of the questions some of us have asked?  Just making sure they're noticed.  :D

That aside, glad you approve of all the interest Jess.  See ya soon with a character hopefully.  ;D

Will be answering those shortly. Working on setting things up, and answering all sorts of reply posts. :D

JessLowell12

Quote from: Vergil1989 on October 08, 2018, 05:25:05 PM
'Cough' Percy/Vex child 'cough'.  :P  Well, likely one of several knowing what those two get up to just during the show lol.  Who's to say what happened after the show was over?  ;D

Seriously though, depending on how much time has passed between the Conclave and when this takes place, children of Vox Machina might be a thing.  Hopefully our DM will be able to give us a direct date to work from.

Well, the thought was 5 to 10 years after the event of the Chroma Conclave.

Quote from: Crash on October 08, 2018, 02:13:04 PM
Very interested.  Critters unite!

Starting level?

Starting level is 3.

Quote from: Vergil1989 on October 08, 2018, 03:55:07 PM
Definitely a fan of Critical Role, and I know how the first Campaign ended, which makes me wonder if this is right after you know what was taken down or if that hasn't happened yet?  Either way, I would likely go with an OC, if for no other reason than I'd like a fresh perspective I suppose.  :D  I'll be keeping my eyes on this too most likely.

This takes place 5 to 10 years after the Chroma Conclave, so if I remember right what you refer to, I believe it already has happened. However if you PM I can confirm or deny that truth.

Chulanowa

Can you tell us anything about what sort of adventure you have in mind? 'Cause showing up to an upper-crust game of intrigue and espionage with an orc barbarian, while fun for a few posts, might not work out that well  ;D

JessLowell12

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 10, 2018, 03:26:42 PM
Can you tell us anything about what sort of adventure you have in mind? 'Cause showing up to an upper-crust game of intrigue and espionage with an orc barbarian, while fun for a few posts, might not work out that well  ;D

Well, I planned to make that start of the story building part. That I was going to have us do after characters were established. However I am adding basic world timelines and plots to the campaign guide once that is done. Should be up Sunday afternoon.

Vergil1989

Well, saying it now, but I'm HOPING you guys don't mind the occasional and possibly surprise ambush by evil fucking cultists.  :P  My gal has....history with one particularly problematic sect of them, shall we say?  (Trying very hard not to spoil anything for those that don't know what's happened in the first campaign.   :-[)
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread

JessLowell12

Quote from: Vergil1989 on October 10, 2018, 04:25:10 PM
Well, saying it now, but I'm HOPING you guys don't mind the occasional and possibly surprise ambush by evil fucking cultists.  :P  My gal has....history with one particularly problematic sect of them, shall we say?  (Trying very hard not to spoil anything for those that don't know what's happened in the first campaign.   :-[)

Well yeah, spoilers will come as we go along I'm sure. But that will all be IC hopefully.

Also everyone making character sheets for application, follow a 25 point stat buy.

JessLowell12

Quote from: JessLowell12 on October 10, 2018, 04:27:13 PM
Well yeah, spoilers will come as we go along I'm sure. But that will all be IC hopefully.

Also everyone making character sheets for application, follow a 25 point stat buy.

Scratch that it is actually 27 points. :D Check the player's handbook for how to do this, or if using DnD Beyond, it will do it for you.

Crash

Hmmm so many options......

Cleric of the Beer Domain, Kobold Inquisitive, Monk Barmaid Kensei of Improvised weapons, Eladrin Paladin of Love.

I am curious to see what others are thinking for race/class combo.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

JessLowell12

Quote from: Crash on October 10, 2018, 04:53:10 PM
Hmmm so many options......

Cleric of the Beer Domain, Kobold Inquisitive, Monk Barmaid Kensei of Improvised weapons, Eladrin Paladin of Love.

I am curious to see what others are thinking for race/class combo.

All sound like they have a very good backstory to them. :D

Crash

Yeah all would be fun.  Which is why I am curious what others are thinking.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Vergil1989

Emily Briarwood, a human fighter Gunslinger who's fighting to redeem even a modicum of her family's VERY tainted honor.

Hope that helps a bit Crash.  ;D

Personal Information

Name:  Emily Marquis  (Her real name is Emily Briarwood)
Race:  Human
Orientation/Sexuality:  Bisexual, but she prefers women
General Description:  She's the spitting image of her mother, Delilah Briarwood, if she'd been far more lithe and lean and prone to sharpshooting instead of raising the dead and destroying people's lives wherever she went.  Emily's brown eyes and shortly cropped, artfully combed dark brown hair hangs over the left side of her face, partially obscuring her angular, well defined if round features and smooth, clear if pale skin.  She's purely human, having been born before her father was reborn as a vampire after his untimely death, her paleness is more due to her intense studies into alchemical compounds and the like, which has stained her fingertips black with gunpowder and soot.  Beyond that however, she maintains her noble esque appearance with a dark blue overcoat with brass buttons, a dark, richly embroidered bandana that hangs around her neck, a hard suit of black leather armor over a plain white cloth shirt, and a pair of dark blue matching long pants tucked into well worn dark brown, near black leather boots that match her equally dark brown belt around her slender hips.  A Pepperbox holster is just visible beneath the confines of her coat, with a long, currently empty, rifle holster on her back, a number of belt pouches and their ilk attached to her belt.  A sword also rests on her hip, but she rarely uses it if she can help it.

Role Play Centered Information

Class: Fighter (Gunslinger)
Level: 3rd
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Character Sheet:  Emily 'Marques' Briarwood
Additional Information:  Due to her long travels, at least so far, after fleeing her mother's home in Wildmount, Emily knows full well the evil her name has attached to it, and has done all she can to restore her family's lost honor.  The fact that they've nearly destroyed the world on Vecna's unholy order, she has a long, LONG way to go before she can even get close, but as a result, Vecna's lingering followers have made the mistake of coming after her.  Not only that, but given Percival and Cassandra's De Rollo's complicated history with the Briarwoods that's drenched in blood, Emily knows better than to go anywhere near Whitestone if she can help it on the off chance one or both of them, not counting Lady Vex'ahlia, happens to hold a grudge.

History
Family:  Unfortunately it's Delilah and Sylas Briarwood as her mother and father respectively, before her father was killed and became a vampire anyway.
Hometown:  Emon when she isn't on the road, pursuing any Vecha worshipers she can put down.
A little about personality: "I know full well my mother was a murdering, psychotic bitch, and my father....was a literal monster before he was forced into hiding after Vecna was stopped.  I can't say if he's still alive, or if someone finally put him down, only that I am well aware of my family's crimes, and I am damned determined to do everything I can to restore my family's honor one Vecna worshiper at a time if that's what it takes.  As such, I won't hesitate to pull the trigger on anyone who would dare to hold onto the Whispered One's dark promises, but if the De Rollos wish my life, I won't fight their judgment.  It would be fitting justice, but only if it's actually justice and not more petty vengeance driving their blade, or in Percy's case, his gun arm, in spilling my blood."
General Life Story:  As far as most of the world is concerned, the Briarwoods were destroyed in Whitestone when Percy and the rest of Vox Machina cleaned out their evil influences above and below the ancient stone fortress.  In truth, Delilah had had one daughter several years before Sylas wound up becoming a vampire due to her dark deal with Vecna, the Whispered One, a man who became a god on this side of the Divine Barrier.  Emily Briarwood, who immediately changed her name to Marques when she realized just how far gone her family was when word reached their home in Wildemount, and she disappeared from the world about the same time her parents were killing most of the De Rollo family.  If not for a few sane and loyal retainers that hadn't been magically 'persuaded' to obey Delilah's strict orders, Emily would've wound up another brain dead cultist, driven to destroy the world as they knew it, but because she had good people at her back, a human maid who happened to know a few things about the real world due to her low upbringing, and a loyal gnomish bodyguard who had been a worshiper of the Raven Queen, Emily was able to become her own person.  When word reached her that Delilah and Sylas Briarwood had been killed, she was happy about the loss since her few memories of them when they were around weren't pleasant.  As such, she knew from a very young age that they'd been nothing but bad news, (an irony given later events involving Percy and his long rifle), and while she wept for the loss, she was ultimately able to move past it.  Unfortunately for her, their death wasn't to last as Delilah returned not once, but twice, with Sylas never far behind given his undead nature.  Only after Vecna was put down and his cult broken, his zombie Titan he fully intended to unleash on Vasselheim destroyed, did Emily begin her journey, having been living alone long enough, honing her skills and abilities.  It didn't help that she had heard Vecna in her mind just like countless other people had when he had originally ascended, and a few of his minions had tried to take her back to her 'family'.  She'd made it a point to send them back with new holes in their bodies after completing her first gun.

To the world these days, Emily Briarwood died around the same time Vecna was defeated, her father forced to flee, and her mother gone and truly dead this time.  In her place, Emily Marques, so named for the gnomish woman that led her to the Raven Queen, was left behind in her wake, with the good people of Emon being none the wiser as to who she truly is or had once been.  Ever since that fateful day, she's done all she can to destroy every remnant of Vecna's dark influence, while collecting what money she can to upgrade and maintain her delicate instruments, as well as to keep herself loaded for bear in ammo and alchemical components for her guns.  Otherwise, what money she has left, when it isn't used on food and drink, is often donated to the nearest church to the Raven Queen, more in remembrance of the two that all but raised her from those far darker days when the Briarwoods had once roamed the surface of Exandria.  As such, Raven's Flight, a pepperbox design of her own imagination rather than one that was 'inspired' by a powerful shadow demon, is never far from her right hand, and it's often the last thing enemies hear before they're sent to their dead god in bloody pieces.

Crash

JessLowell12

Picture is beautiful. Character is dynamic, backstory is fleshed out nust enough to give me material. We are good!

Vergil1989

I tried my best.  :D

I don't have a name for the human maid woman or the gnomish paladin that taught her almost everything she knows, so feel free to come up with info for those two as you llike, my only request is that the gnome indeed be involved with the Raven Queen, and that the maid leaning towards a very low level rogue type of person.  I MIGHT have Emily get some ties with the criminal underworld later, learning thieves cant and what have you, but otherwise you're free to do as you like.  :D

As far as her planned weapons, her Pepperbox is currently unenchanted, and I don't have anything for a Bad News type of rifle yet, BUT as I said in my PM, I DO plan to enchant her Pepperbox to hold a life drain type of effect along with some necrotic damage when she can make it happen.  As for her rifle, other than a scope I don't know what I plan to do with that yet.  I'm sure we'll figure it out later though.  See ya!

Brittlby

Name:  Arch-Matriarch Millicent Stokes
Race:  Half-Elf
Class:  Paladin Who Has Taken the Oath of Vengeance
Alignment: LN
Sexuality:  Lesbian

Background: Blessed by the virtues and gifts of the Goddess, Dol Arrah, the Stokes line has long served as warriors and mentors. They have not forgotten the original meaning of their name nor their profession in times ancient and unspoken, they were Gardeners. Even now the motto upon their blades and crests stands as it did centuries before. “Nurture the Virtuous. Cull the Wicked.”

A small army unto themselves, the Stokes Matriarchs are half-sisters all, their mothers line blessed and the male seed of their conception carefully chosen to suit a breeding program. That said, even given every advantage, some flowers can not bloom in the shadow of so many others.

Choked from the light of Dol Arrah, some grow stunted and... deviant. Any priestess within the Order of Light would see through this allegory and know that we are speaking of the Arch-Matriarch Millicent Stokes...

A radiant child, as lovely as she was a cunning manipulator, she held sway over the young acolytes through a combination of playground diplomacy and physical superiority. An artist with the blade and tongue, her slothfulness in regards to her studies left its mark. To quote one of her mentors, “We have failed the Goddess greatly in not better tempering Millicent... We have raised her to be charming without sincerity. Vicious before virtuous. Clever before wise. On good days, it is my hope that the saying is true, that “Dol Arrah does not make magnificent things without purpose”. During darker mornings, I worry that we have given her dangerous gifts but not imparted the piety to use them well.”

Upon her twenty-second year, her mother claimed to have had a divine vision whilst she slept. Dol Arrah shined her light upon Millicent, and did bid her to bequeath her sword and armor to the youngest of the Half-Sisters. Her siblings were dubious to say the least, even levying grumbled claims that she somehow must have used elven trickery to befuddle their Mother. But there were those amongst the Order that saw this as an omen.

Finally she would lift her blade against the darkness and seek out a purpose worthy of her talents! Then she spent the next two years drinking and carousing, selling “pardons” on behalf of the Order to fund her misadventures...

Exasperated, the Order at last came to her with a choice. To be stripped of title, position and arms or seek a worthy quest and live up to her family name. She has meditated upon the will of the Goddess and seeks direction... usually at the bottom of a tankard.

Description: With the porcelain perfection shaped by centuries of selective breeding and the highest favors of the Goddess, Millicent is a looker. Mischievous and wild at heart, questionable passions burn behind her eyes. A ruby smirk is perpetually in place, as if with her particularly cavalier charm she dares the world to throw some new amusement or misadventure at her.

Her armor has the signs of once being well used but now is only well maintained, the dents and scuffs of centuries of battles now largely buffed and polished out to suit her vanity. Beneath her impeccable uniform, Milly keeps herself well tended, her form toned from years of holy training and lifting heavy maidens in taverns.

Personality: Despite being lovely, powerful and well spoken, Millicent is not particularly bright. She masks this with fast words and manipulation. It has always been her expectation that though she has the pedigree for greatness, Veluna Stokes or Lyka Stokes or Dessinia Stokes or one of her eight other older sisters within the Order would serve to further the bloodline and family holdings.

With that understanding, Milly has always simply strove for a hedonist life style, paying only lip service to Dol Arrah. A charming but hollow knight of the Goddess for all of her life, it seems that perhaps the Light May have finally found her and Dol Arrah brooks no resistance from her chosen... no matter how slothful and deviant.

(Theme Music: Devils Dance Floor by Flogging Milly. I mean Molly)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YPaz0p2dpEk
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

Vergil1989

Brittlby

Going for Paladin minus the morality policing... but not quite to the level of Oath Breaking. Lol
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues

O/O

Crash

I like her.

Hmmm, I will drop my Paladin of love then, though they could be quite amusing given the company.  They were a Redemption Pali.

Beer Cleric and Kobold Inquisitive are still possible....

Vergil1989

Quote from: Brittlby on October 10, 2018, 09:29:24 PM
Going for Paladin minus the morality policing... but not quite to the level of Oath Breaking. Lol

So a more fun Vax mixed in with a bit of Scanlan is basically what you're saying.  :P

We DO need a healer of some sort, so a cleric would be well received most likely.  Is there really a Beer Domain for a cleric though?  I mean an actual Domain and not something Homebrewed?  I'm genuinely curious, so don't mistake me.  :D

Crash

Kobold Press put it out for their Midgard Heroes book.  I dropped it into DnD beyond.  Kobold Press stuff is really well balanced.  I use their stuff all the time when I GM.

Vergil1989

Huh, wow.  :D  I might have to look into that.  :P

I actually had a cleric from 3.5 edition that was a Sacred Prostitute, worshiping both Corellon Larathain and Sune, first as a cleric, her prestige class being her Sacred Prostitute stuff, a class I got from The Book of Erotic Fantasy.  I never got a chance to really PLAY her as such, but I still have her knocking around in the back of my head.  I almost considered trying to bring her into this, but meh, without making her SP stuff more as a roleplay flavor type of thing, it'd be a very difficult time to convert her 3.5. stuff from an unofficial book into 5e, at least for me it would've been anyway.  It still would've been fun to try though lol.

Brittlby

Someday I’m going to get to use my Gnome Druid but she didn’t fit this setting.

O/O

Crash

I love the Beer Domain Channel Divinity: Blessed Brew

Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to transform a container of nonmagical liquid into blessed brew; the number of doses equals 3 + your Wisdom modifier. Any special attributes the liquid previously had are negated. Anyone who imbibes one dose of this brew can choose one of the following benefits: advantage on Charisma-based skill checks, a +1 bonus to AC, or a +1 increase to the DC of saving throws against their castings of enchantment spells. This bonus lasts for 1 hour, leaving a warm buzz behind when it fades. A creature can benefit from only one dose of blessed brew between rests. An hour after creating blessed brew, the liquid turns into tasty, but mundane, beer.

But I can fill in wherever we need.  Cleric, Rogue, could even try a caster.