A Flicker of Hope (NC to EX) Scifi

Started by GloomCookie, December 05, 2011, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

GREETINGS CITIZEN.  PRESENT YOUR ID CHIP AND PROCEED.  IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ID CHIP, PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE.

It sounds so simple, doesn't it?  Present your ID chip.  Too bad most of the people I know don't have one, and probably never will.  That's the way it is in New York these days... you're nothing without the ID.  Costs a mere $5,000 to process your information for one, but you never see that kind of money.  Not where we live.  The slums, the alleyways, no one can afford to get out.  So we work, try and survive off the government rations that still leave you feeling hungry, trying to stay alive while corrupt cops beat us down.  That's the only way we can live.  All of it in the hopes that one day, far from now, we'll have the money to get an ID and be someone.

Welcome to 2064, where global warming has raised the sea levels high enough that it demands walls around the world's coastal cities to keep the flooding out.  For those who can afford it, they live in the glimmering high rises and go to work in expensive cars, feeling good about their work.  For the vast majority, however, they slave away in shanty towns trying to scrape up enough money to survive.  Surviving on the barely adequate government rations, many spend what little they earn on liquor and medicine, in the vain attempt to feel like they aren't suffering.

The game will revolve around the 30th Street Church, home to a few friends and their immediate families.  Players will be the various people inside, all of whom are trying to work together to save up enough to become citizens.  By pooling together, they hope to all escape.  But will tensions rise and break them apart?  Or will the stress be too much for them, and they splinter?  Will loyalty to the group outweigh family loyalties?

Character Sheets
[tt]Character Image
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Hair/Eyes:[/b]
[b]Brief Bio:[/b]
[b]Related to:[/b] (other characters)[/tt]

Locations
28th Street

28th Street is home to several of the businesses that keep the slums alive.  Most of the businesses operate out of shacks made from scrap metal found from some of the burned out husks of 35th Street.  The few places that have genuine brick and mortar buildings are often under guard by people with rifles and armor, keeping a close eye on those who come in.
30th Street

30th Street is the street home to the Church and a haven for the denizens who live in the broken down buildings abandoned by the citizens who live in upper society.  It is only two blocks from the sea wall, making the streets flood during heavy storms.  Crime is high, like most of the run down areas, but the buildings are often owned by gangs and large families, so most of the crimes happen on the streets.
35th Street

35th Street is closest to the sea wall under the Fredrickson Bridge.  Most of the street is abandoned, with the few denizens who live there gutting buildings and selling the scraps to other streets.  During heavy storms, boats torn loose from their moorings sometimes wash over the wall, giving them more scrap to sell before the citizens above try to get it back.
Hawke's Drug Store

Owned by Old Man Hawke, the Drug Store isn't a drug store in the normal sense.  Selling every type of addictive chemical from beer to marijuana, Hawke has made a fortune, keeping his denizen status only because he can't be prosecuted for his illegal trade.  He often hires young women, paying them just enough to keep them working, and often trying to get into their pants.
Rundown Motel

Home to prostitutes and weary travelers for a few hours, the Motel is rat-infested, crawling with cockroaches, and the mattresses are dirty and smell.  There's nothing to really draw people in other than the chance for a cheap lay and maybe a few hours of sleep.  Don't mind the blood stains from the numerous prostitutes who don't survive their johns.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

TastyBacon

Hmm, I'll leave myself as 'interested' in this one, but don't want to commit to anything yet.  Not sure what my schedule is going to be like coming up soon, but I'll be keeping an eye on this.

TheHangedOne

Looks like you're full of fun ideas, Linna.  8-) Definitely interested in this, will work on a character later today/tomorrow.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Chrystal

This looks interesting.

Like TastyBacon, I don't wish to commit myself right now. I'd like to see how you are planning to develop the idea.

What sort of characters would you be interested in? For example, would it be possible to play one of the people in the armour with the guns? (Just curious - is there any reason why the people who own the brick houses wouldn't hire someone from the slums to guard their property? Other than the question of divided loyalty, of course...)

So, yeah, potentially interested, depends on who else signs up and what sort of characters you are after.

By the way, GREAT pics. I wish I could find artwork like that!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

GloomCookie

The characters will be trying to find work, beg, borrow, and possibly steal trying to get ahead.  They might try to become a guard, they might try to kill the guards and raid the place, they might try to sneak in the back, it all depends.  That's the point... how far are you going to go to make life better not just for yourself, but your family and friends?

And the artist of the pics is AtomHawk on Deviant Art.
My DeviantArt

AngelicBlade

I find myself interested, but I must resist the ugre to play a Saint from Saint's row. . .

Chrystal

okay, I'm probably going to be in...

I think I'll play a teenage kid with some interesting skills.

Will try and get a character to you tomorrow (my time).

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

GloomCookie

Yeah uh... can we have someone that looks a little more... sane?  I mean, this is supposed to be down on their luck families, not a gang of serial killers and murderers.
My DeviantArt

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Linna on December 06, 2011, 08:30:58 PM
Yeah uh... can we have someone that looks a little more... sane?  I mean, this is supposed to be down on their luck families, not a gang of serial killers and murderers.
He's not one, just acts like one, in an effort to keep the real ones away from the others, who may not be able to look out for themselves. But if you want someone that can't fight back, then sure, I'll think of something else.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

GloomCookie

I'm not saying he can't fight back I'm just saying I want someone who actually looks like a person who'd pass a citizenship check.  You could have someone who looks like Francis from L4D, or hell any of them really.  The point is, they can fight, but they're not total psychos.  The goal is not to fight.  The goal is to become citizens.  They have to look respectable so that when they do scrape the money together, they can quickly and easily get their IDs.  Does that make any sense?
My DeviantArt

Aurora Wayland

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'll try to come up with a character some time today!

GloomCookie

I'm locking this down until I know what I want to do with it.
My DeviantArt