A Prince's Companions (interest check/world building/female characters needed)

Started by IrishWolf, March 27, 2013, 01:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishWolf

So I just had this idea pop into my head and I wanted to share it with all of you.

The Prince's Companions are a small band of women, picked from the nobility, who accompany each son of the ruling monarch, at all times. Everywhere from the confines of his bedroom, to the baths, to the library, the feasting halls, out hunting or the training grounds and to the battlefield. It is rare, for a new queen to bed her husband without the companions right besides her, either helping the new queen in her unknowing virginity or making sure their prince enjoys himself.  They are to be his closest friends and his bodyguards, for the realm is a dangerous place for princlings. Upon the age of sixteen, a prince leaves the protection of his mother's solar (a separate tower or manor for the queen) and enters into a world designed to make sure the strongest and most cunning lord rules the land.

But he does not go out unprotected. On his birthday, his mother chooses several ladies to guard her son with their lives, mostly the second and third daughters of lords and knights. These young ladies (who can be upwards of twenty years of age but mostly are around the same age as the prince), have been train in many arts. From combat to statecraft, to pleasure, they are ready to serve him in many ways.

Royal brothers are not only encouraged but expected to kill each other nor is the royal household set in stone. Through cunning plot or force of arms, should a lesser lord take the crown, he shall be king (save in times of war). Of course that would put any of his kin, serving as a companion, under suspension. The death of each prince is investigated and should it come to pass, that a companion helped to slay her prince, then she and all of her family are put to the sword, even the new claimant to the throne. Throughout history, there are recordings of sisters fighting brothers, daughters fighting fathers and even sisters fighting sisters, to protect an unrelated man.

So thats where my idea ends. The plot is loose at the moment, depending on the setting mostly and some brainstorming with those interested in writing this story with me. This could work as just about any settling but I'm really seeing it as taking place in a Celtic or Germanic Iron Age setting or a Medieval settling or a Sci-fi setting.

So anyone interested?

Edit

We've made a great deal of progress in crafting the world and this is as it stands.

The Kingdom of Ahremberg

A nation roughly the size of modern France but with a more German feel to it. Subdivided into often feuding or positioning baronies, counties, principalities, duchies and grand duchies. Intermarried family squabble about who owns what lands, based on who they are related to and how far back their line has laid claimed to a forest, valley, farmstead or township. Small wars break out now and then, as one lord attempts to forcibly make his claim to another's lands. At times, such petty conflicts grow so large, that the King's army is made to intervene, least the conflict boil over into a civil war, as other great men pick sides, either in support or to simply settle old grudges.

The histories tell us, that the beginning of this grand kingdom, there was a tribe called the Remi and they were ruled by a king called Adalgis. They were threatened by an alliance of two tribes to the north, the Berglandlings and the Ahdenii. Now Adalgis was a weak man, in both body and spirit. He feared the death of his tribe and was prepared to submit to them but his younger brother, Gerold, a large and bold man, was not. On the eve before the King and his chieftains were suppose to go before their enemies and grovel, Gerold slipped into his brother's tent and murdered him, cutting of his head and sticking it upon a spear before the chieftains. As these greater men look on in horror, Gerold declared himself the new King, crying out that only the strong deserved to rule and snatched the crown from the head of his dead brother.

Drawing sword, Gerold lead the chieftains and their retainers on a night march, catching the camp of the allied kings by surprise. A short but bloody battle ensued, where Gerold slew both the King of Bergland and mortally wounded the King of the Ahdenii. Most of the lesser lords of the Ahdenii perished and their King begged for his people, even as he died, offering his daughter for Gerold's bride. Gerold accepted the King's offer, before the remaining Ahdenii nobles and then turned upon the Bergland troops still upon the field. They held their ground and many of their nobles yet lived but they were surrounded by the Remi warriors and worse yet, the surviving Ahdenii joined the ranks of the victorious Remi. Outnumbered and without their armor, the Berglandlings surrendered, pledging themselves to King Gerold.

After the great victory, peace did not come to the Remi people. Although their king offered his daughter to Gerold before most of the remaining Ahdenii nobles and they fought against the Berglandlings, the Ahdenii rejected Gerold as their king. Pretenders to the Ahdenii crown seemed to spring from the very ground, forcing the Remi to campaign against them for many years, until the last and greatest of their strongholds fell before the ever victorious Gerold. However, this only welted his battle lust and for many years afterwards, the combined Kingdom of Ahdenii-Remi-Bergland conquered other small nations around them.

Upon his deathbed, Gerold looked around at his many sons (for his loins were strong) and declared he would not split his kingdom among them but would hand over his bloody crown to his one surviving heir. His sons looked upon their father and each other in confusion, until one of the younger, standing in the back realized this was his one and only chance to be king and drew a seax from his belt, then stabbed one of his brothers, setting off a brawl around a dying old man. At the end of the day, only one son remained standing and took the crown from his father's cold hands.

So was set forth how kingship of Ahremberg was to be taken. It was not to be the oldest or a declared heir to the thrown but by the strongest of sons. The other noble families, as they intermarried with the royal line, began to follow suit, hoping to groom their own sons to seize the crown. Over time, the Consul of Temples, set forth rules to this game, after one brutal bastard call King Grimbert Babeslayer, removed all of his brothers, while they were still in the cradle, including killing one as he nursed from their mother's breast. From then on, all princlings, of any noble house were safe, until they reach manhood at sixteen.

Father's also tried to protect their sons with bodyguards but men were found unsuited to the task, as they either paved the way for their brothers to seize the throne or were found to still owe loyalty to their old lords in battle. Such men were still found to betray their change, even after laws were placed, in which a betrayer's family would be slain. A guard was needed that was more likely want to protect their families and so the kings turned to the daughters of the nobility, founding the Prince's Companions, from those who could never inherit titles and were therefore immune to the corruption of power struggles.

Over the years, a guild rose from this system. Referred to as The Sisterhood, they trained young ladies in the arts, from those expected for their gender, as well as statecraft and the martial skills they would need to serve a young lord (be he of royal blood or of powerful noble family), along with some talents, which are less then mentionable in polite conversation. While the lords of the land are not forced by law, to give their younger daughters to the Sisterhood, it is expected that they will. Either that or donate large sums to the guild. In addition to the young ladies of Ahremberg but a number of foreigners are within their ranks. As part of peace agreements with other nations, the warlords of Ahremberg make their foes surrender a tribute of young ladies to protect the sons of their conquerors.

Such a tribute serves a duel purpose, it keeps the lords of defeated lands form launching new assaults upon Ahremberg and provide dedicated guards for young prices and lords. In addition to the normal rules of the Sisterhood, where if a Prince's Companion allows her charge to die, the guild (with the Temple's support) descends upon their family with fire and sword, those coming from defeated lands, will also carry the burden of getting one in ten of their people killed as well. Of course, if her charge becomes King, she can attempt to use her influence over him to improve the lot of her people.

Because of the large numbers of tributes and the large family's of the nobility, the Sisterhood's ranks are swelled to the point where there are more ladies then can serve as Companions. While it has always been tradition that once a sister reach the age of twenty, that she was too old to join a Prince coming into his majority  but within recent generations, it has become a rule. This as left the guild with a surplus of combat train women on their hands. Some of theses ladies become teachers for the new sisters or other such staff in the guild buildings. Other form a small standing army, used to punish those who break guild law.

theLeslie

Shjade

I agree with Leslie. Playing a courtesan-slash-power-behind-the-throne type role has always been high on my to-do list. Though I think this particular setup sounds a little...complicated for me personally to get involved (considering how much I'm juggling already x.x), it sounds really interesting if you can get a good dynamic going for it. Best of luck! =D
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

IrishWolf

Well thank you very much Shjade (how the devil do you pronounce that?)

FragarachZ

Sounds good. Depending on what plot/setting you decide to go with I might be interested :)
O&O

Odanrav

I have some interest in this as well if the setting and other important details get narrowed down.

Personally speaking, I would enjoy a fictional history kind of setting, in the medieval age like you mentioned. It can have fantasy elements in it if so desired, but I'm not sure its necessary. The important parts for me is finding out some about this fictional country/empire, what their culture is, and what kind of plots do you think could spring from this apart from just a brother against brother feud for the crown (which will be fun, but I think it needs smaller plots as well). The more detail, the better.

IrishWolf

True, details need to be narrowed but I was waiting for someone interested to champion one of the settings I proposed. And now someone has!

Alright medieval setting.

The Kingdom of Ahremberg

A nation roughly the size of modern France but with a more German feel to it. Subdivided into often feuding or positioning baronies, counties, principalities, duchies and grand duchies. Intermarried family squabble about who owns what lands, based on who they are related to and how far back their line has laid claimed to a forest, valley, farmstead or township. Small wars break out now and then, as one lord attempts to forcibly make his claim to another's lands. At times, such petty conflicts grow so large, that the King's army is made to intervene, least the conflict boil over into a civil war, as other great men pick sides, either in support or to simply settle old grudges.

The histories tell us, that the beginning of this grand kingdom, there was a tribe called the Remi and they were ruled by a king called Adalgis. They were threatened by an alliance of two tribes to the north, the Berglandlings and the Ahdenii. Now Adalgis was a weak man, in both body and spirit. He feared the death of his tribe and was prepared to submit to them but his younger brother, Gerold, a large and bold man, was not. On the eve before the King and his chieftains were suppose to go before their enemies and grovel, Gerold slipped into his brother's tent and murdered him, cutting of his head and sticking it upon a spear before the chieftains. As these greater men look on in horror, Gerold declared himself the new King, crying out that only the strong deserved to rule and snatched the crown from the head of his dead brother.

Drawing sword, Gerold lead the chieftains and their retainers on a night march, catching the camp of the allied kings by surprise. A short but bloody battle ensued, where Gerold slew both the King of Bergland and mortally wounded the King of the Ahdenii. Most of the lesser lords of the Ahdenii perished and their King begged for his people, even as he died, offering his daughter for Gerold's bride. Gerold accepted the King's offer, before the remaining Ahdenii nobles and then turned upon the Bergland troops still upon the field. They held their ground and many of their nobles yet lived but they were surrounded by the Remi warriors and worse yet, the surviving Ahdenii joined the ranks of the victorious Remi. Outnumbered and without their armor, the Berglandlings surrendered, pledging themselves to King Gerold.

For many years afterwards, the combined Kingdom of Ahdenii-Remi-Bergland conquered other small nations around them. Upon his deathbed, Gerold looked around at his many sons (for his loins were strong) and declared he would not split his kingdom among them but would hand over his bloody crown to his one surviving heir. His sons looked upon their father and each other in confusion, until one of the younger, standing in the back realized this was his one and only chance to be king and drew a seax from his belt, then stabbed one of his brothers, setting off a brawl around a dying old man. At the end of the day, only one son remained standing and took the crown from his father's cold hands.

So was set forth how kingship of Ahremberg was to be taken. It was not to be the oldest or a declared heir to the thrown but by the strongest of sons. The other noble families, as they intermarried with the royal line, began to follow suit, hoping to groom their own sons to seize the crown. Over time, the Consul of Temples, set forth rules to this game, after one brutal bastard call King Grimbert Babeslayer, removed all of his brothers, while they were still in the cradle, including killing one as he nursed from their mother's breast. From then on, all princlings, of any noble house were safe, until they reach manhood at sixteen.

Father's also tried to protect their sons with bodyguards but men were found unsuited to the task, as they either paved the way for their brothers to seize the throne or were found to still owe loyalty to their old lords in battle. Such men were still found to betray their change, even after laws were place, in which a betrayer's family would be slain. A guard was needed that was more likely want t protect their families and so the kings turned to the daughters of the nobility, founding the Prince's Companions from those who could never inherit titles and were therefore immune to the corruption of power struggles.

As for smaller plots, maybe things like peasant revolts, hunting, war games (from which tournaments evolved), feasting of different holy days and the like? I'll take suggestions.

Odanrav

I really like the depth of history behind it Wolf. :) Love stuff like that. I do have one small suggestion, and that's to expand the roles of the companions a little bit beyond concubine and bodyguard. For added incentive for them all to stay loyal, I think that they should be able to earn the right to become queen to their prince lord (at his choosing of course, and not until he has secured the title of heir for himself). I get the sense that Ahremberg values strength and cunning above all else in its leaders, so the queen should have those qualities as well as the king I think. This could bring up some interesting drama between the girls and give the ambitious ones strong motivation.

Also, I'm curious if the princes command forces outside of just their companions. If that's allowed in the "game." And all of those lesser events and things sound good. It'll probably be important to have some diversion from fighting the prince's brothers a vast majority of the time. Apart from all that, I'm on board with this one I think. I'll get to thinking about a character in case you decide to use a CS or something, and I hope this starts to garner a little more interest! :)

IrishWolf

*bows*

Thank you Odanrav.

Well the Companions are also suppose to be advisers but you do bring up an interesting possibility. Marriage and whatnot in a medieval settling is more political then anything, thus younger sons and daughters are less "valuable" and the Companions are younger daughters, however they would still be a good bond of blood between families. And your right, strength and cunning are core values and such women would provide better sons, to the medieval mindset and as you stated, interesting drama between girls.

I think that would be a good addition.

As for your second question, it would be very odd if they didn't have a core of knights, men-at-arms and mercenaries around him. Maybe even the sons of lesser lords but such men, you couldn't trust fully. I think it should be considered improper if two (or more) princes gathered warbands and smashed into each other in open battle, as it could lead to civil war (lords join in to take side or advantage of the chaos) but not something banned from the "game".

I do used character sheets and I'll put one up now.

[b]Name[/b]:

[b]Age[/b]:

[b]Rank[/b]:(something like Countess, Duchess, Princess)

[b]Personality[/b]:

[b]Backstory[/b]:

[b]Arts Studied[/b]:

[b]Best Skills[/b]:

[b]Weapon(s)[/b]:

[b]Appearance[/b]: (pics are okay but please add a written description)

I'll make up my prince character in a bit.

IrishWolf

Odanrav

Awesome, and thank you for the CS :). I'll get to work on a character.

Odanrav

Name: Corrine Reynaud

Personality: Corrine has a lightning rod of a personality, for good or bad. She is often the life of the party and enjoys letting herself go and having a good time. She willingly throws around coy smiles and flirts to anybody she fancies and can be considered something of a seductress. On the outside, she may seem to be a simple fun loving woman, but she’s as conniving and ambitious as any prince of Ahremberg. She yearns to be looked up to with lofty eyes, and to be feared and respected. The kind of fear and respect that only comes with becoming queen.

Backstory: The raven haired beauty comes from the far west of the kingdom of Ahremberg. Corrine Reynaud was born the third daughter, and fourth child overall, to Count Fredericks who resides over the port city of Red Harbor. The city fatally named for the being the place where King Gerold crushed the last Ahdenii king and his forces, taking them under his own banner before turning to destroy the Berglandings. Corrine’s own family tells a legend that one of her ancestors was a simple stable boy who defected to Gerold’s side by burning down the main gate entering the city, and forcing the king to send his forces out into the field rather than be slaughtered in his own walls. In thanks for his efforts, Gerold granted the stable boy lordship over the city, to which Corrine’s family still holds.

The families lot in life was far greater than the common man, but yet Fredericks was a lustful man who desired for more. If not for himself, then for his children and line. At the youngest ages possible, the Count sought to having his children trained to the very best of their abilities. Whether that be to succeed himself as the heir, be married off to other nobles, or in Corrine’s case to become a Prince Companion. Being the youngest of three daughters made the chances of Corrine finding a suitable match for her standing very unlikely. So her fate was decided early on by her father. The chances of her assigned prince (assuming a noble lady would choose her one day) becoming the heir were remote, and the chances of her being anything more than a concubine after his ascension was an even more remote chance. But Fredericks judged that rare chance at having a daughter become queen was worth more than giving her hand to someone beneath her.

Her training was long and hard, spanning a decade. But by the time she reached womanhood she was ready. More than ready, but eager. Corrine tired of the endless training and preparations for becoming a companion, and she yearned to leave her home city and explore the world outside it’s walls. Yet during her first year of eligibility in the “game” no noble ladies with coming of age sons came calling to her. Then another year passed and the same result. It was then that the Count, and Corrine, were becoming more and more worried. Only rarely did a girl ever get past 18 and was still chosen. But their prayers were answered finally when she received word from…

Arts Studied: She is trained in classical dance and has some singing ability. She has limited knowledge of playing the lute and harp, but she never found a great talent for either. Her main areas of interest where she excels is in the art of seduction and subterfuge. Corrine is adept at infiltrating social events and enticing men into private situations. Making her an ideal assassin. Possibly the area where she is most proficient is in the bed chamber. Having learned the arts of love since she became a woman. It was always a art very important to her father for her to learn. Saying “The quickest way to a young prince’s heart, is through his loins.” 

Best Skills: As she was trained into being the perfect courtesan and seductress, Corrine was also hard at work at becoming a master marksmen with the bow, crossbow, and throwing knives. She excels at fighting at range with a variety of items that are all light weight and allow her to use her quickness as defense. At close range she can use a dagger for melee, but she is below average in its effectiveness, and easily overpowered. Corrine has went on hunts before and done well with her bow and crossbow, but as someone who believes herself to be a “proper” lady and above such things, she doesn’t fancy going hunting.

Weapon(s): Single hand crossbow, longbow, throwing knives, and a curved dagger

Appearance: Corrine shows to have Ahdenii heritage with deep raven black hair and fair skin. It’s cut just barely past shoulder length and is parted slightly on the right side of her face. Black hair hangs down over the left side of her face and often blocks the view of that eye. Some might think this is to add to the allure, but its actually cut that way to hide a slight scar over her eye. It’s only a small mark half an inch long, but being a perfectionist Corrine hates even the smallest blemish. Her eyes are a beautiful pale blue. While her body is very fit from her years of training, its definitely still more feminine than muscular. She is blessed with a quality bust and wide hips, making her a prime candidate for child birth (and increasing the appeal of her becoming queen should her prince rise to prominence).

She normally wears a light tunic without sleeves and hardened corset over the top of it for peak  look and mobility, with laced pants, leather boots, and simple gloves. Her outfit completely intends to maximize the curvature of her body and flaunt it vividly while also being viable for unforeseen battles. Appearances are just as important as sweet talk when it comes to seduction after all.

When knowingly entering battle, she wears some heavier armor though as well. With plate metal over her shoulders, breasts, midsection, gauntlets, and greaves. Leaving her only truly vulnerable area at the thighs and neck, which is important to keep loose so she can move around easily and be unencumbered.

Regardless of whether she’s dancing, socializing, sitting around a camp, or in the heat of battle. Corrine loves wearing finely tailored outfits with embroidery and the latest fashions. Something she took from her homeland, where such things are very important. She stands at 5’7” and weighs just over 120 lbs.

Corrine’s face, Leisure outfit, and Battle outfit

*Note I said blue eyes, not the black ones she's rocking in the first picture. Also refer to pics #2 and #3 for her hair and normal clothes/armor.

This character is kind of a hybrid of a French and Italian Renaissance kind of woman with her look and her home’s culture. And I hope it's alright with you Irish that I expanded some of the backstory and history a little =D. And I'll finish her backstory when I learn some more about the prince.

AribethAmkiir

I think the girls turning on each other after the prince has become king is a bad idea.  There's little to stop one of the girls from dispatching another who was more favored by the prince long before he became king which would weaken the prince's protection.  Wasn't the whole point of choosing women as bodyguards to prevent such maneuvering?

I think the way it was initially proposed is a lot more interesting.  If the prince became king he could reward his bodyguards with positions of power under his command, such as, generals, advisers, and so forth.  Maybe one he would promote to consort, but she wouldn't have any more power than other positions, and possibly less. 

It just seems that "making things more interesting between the girls" goes against the reasoning for them to be all women.

I'd personally prefer if the women were sworn sisters, with that type of dynamic, versus a bunch of literal backstabbing and a general lack of trust amongst the bodyguards.  To me a cadre of women who show honor and loyalty would be a much better contrast against the backdrop of brother killing brother and conniving plotting that will be taking place in the forefront of the story.

IrishWolf

Ah fuck, my laptop restarted on me, while I was at work and I lost all of my character sheet. I'll get started on rewriting him after I get some sleep.

Now then, you raise very good points AribethAmkiir and this is why the world is still being built. I will admit that when I did envision this story, the girls were more of a united force, removed from the power struggle. Of course Odanrav raised good points about the kind of women the Kings of Ahremberg would want to mother heir children. And who better to trust, then those sworn to protect your life? Then again, drama for drama, can ruin a game. Hmmm, choices.

Any more input?

Odanrav

Aribeth has good points. I suppose the easiest compromise may be to make the women swear oaths of loyalty to their prince that essentially binds their lives to his. If the prince falls they can either choose to die by the sword with him, or live their days in shame and never able to marry or bear noble children. At least something along those lines. If they can't be motivated by incentive , maybe they can be motivated by fear. On top of that, if their prince becomes king any children they have by him are considered legitimate (otherwise the line would have likely died out a long time ago). Just my two cents and I'd love feedback.

AribethAmkiir

I think incentives are good.  Why else would a woman born to privilege risk life and body to defend a prince, even if she was the youngest daughter?  I just think the incentives should be for keeping the women loyal to the prince and each other, not divide them. 

I would also think that, if these women are the prince's bodyguards, steps would be taken to ensure they remain infertile while protecting their charge.  I don't think getting pregnant and having the prince's child would be effective in protecting the prince.  Let's disregard the physical restraints of pregnancy for a moment and simply focus on the child, a newborn and a new weakness to the prince.  Let's face it, even if the prince doesn't care about the new baby the mother will, which splits her focus, loyalty, and ability to protect her charge.

Of course, I'm not saying the above should not happen.  I'm simply saying that if it does happen it should be an exception to the rule.  If it's an exception than it is much more interesting than if it is a common occurrence.

I like the idea of the women swearing their lives to the prince and the consequences that occur if their prince dies.  That would play into the whole honor bit, as well as, give the women the bond to the prince Irish was wanting.

As far as the future queen, perhaps the women choose one amongst themselves to be the prince's bride if he becomes king.  The women would've shown cunning and strength to have survived, as well as loyalty and leadership to have been chosen.  It's not uncommon for different traits to be expected and respected from the different genders.

Siereis

While I am not quite sure what to expect from this RP yet, I'd like to say that what you all are discussing sounds like a rather nicely developing RP.  Because of this I'd like to say that I am interested in joining.  Roughly how many players were you looking for and what male:female ratio?  I realize the companions are all supposed to be female...but it might be a bit odd with only 1 male as well.

Odanrav

I only mentioned the pregnancy stuff in reference to after the prince has earned the right to be the heir (all other eligible competetors are dead or too young) and not while all the fighting and positioning is still going on. Though I don't see a way of preventing it totally without being abstinent or permanently rendering the women unable to have children (I'm not aware of a way people in the medieval age were able to prevent it with certainty). The prince and the companions can try to be safe of course, but that is no guarantee either. I think a surprise pregnancy (to occur down the road) could, if nothing else, be an interesting plot point to pursue.

Also, I'm contemplating expanding this beyond just noble daughters. Maybe there is an order dedicated to this, who take orphaned girls from a young age and teach them to become these sisters.

This is just another aside and thing I noticed. But I'm not sure if the kingdom Irish set up is one that really upholds honor above all else. They have rules for things, but it is essentially a place where brother quite litterally kill brother and seems to be a bloody place. So the idea of the women in their charge being completely honor bound is a great contrast to that, and in some ways a contradiction in my own opinion.

AribethAmkiir

Good points, Odanrav.

Quote from: Odanrav on March 28, 2013, 04:48:02 PM
Also, I'm contemplating expanding this beyond just noble daughters. Maybe there is an order dedicated to this, who take orphaned girls from a young age and teach them to become these sisters.

I was thinking of something along these lines too.  At the very least, slaves trained specifically for the purpose.

Quote from: Odanrav on March 28, 2013, 04:48:02 PM
This is just another aside and thing I noticed. But I'm not sure if the kingdom Irish set up is one that really upholds honor above all else. They have rules for things, but it is essentially a place where brother quite litterally kill brother and seems to be a bloody place. So the idea of the women in their charge being completely honor bound is a great contrast to that, and in some ways a contradiction in my own opinion.

While I understand what you're saying, I don't find it a contraindication.  These women aren't your typical citizens.  While honor and loyalty are definitely something disregarded by the kingdom, tradition, and ruling class, I think the story would be strongest by exploring this contrast between these select women and the world around them.  We've already discussed, to a point, that these women don't operate like normal people would.  Their life is completely devoted to the protection of the Prince.  Presenting this group of women as a completely separate entity within the game, one that has its own code of honor and rules and possibly own history, would be more interesting than if we held them to the same standards as everyone else in the kingdom.

IrishWolf

Odanrav and AribethAmkiir, the two of you are fucking awesome, just so you know.

The idea of the Order is very interesting. Not only would it be a unifying force between the girls but it could add drama when the prince's clash and they have to fight other members of their order, heeheehee.

I do like the idea of the women swearing personal loyalty to the Prince.

My plan for the opening scene of the story, is for it to be near midnight on the Prince's birthday, the end of his last day under his mother's protection.  It played out in my mind, of a last late meal with her and then he was going to take a ritual bath (washing away his childhood/any lingering scents/safety). While he's starting the bath, his mother instructs the girls she has chosen or goes and chooses from another the ranks of the Sisterhood, in a separate room, then instructs them with their duties, before sending them to join him in the bath, so that when midnight comes and he enters the game, he is already surrounded by his bodyguards. I had thought that it would just be a bath in the palace but now, I'm thinking its in a temple, Romanish large bathing area, steam and the like, statues of all the gods, with either a glass ceiling or a great opening so that the moon can shine in. The women enter into the holy space with him and before only the Prince and the Gods themselves, pledge themselves to his well being and rule.

As to the issue of pregnancy, I have to say, our ancestors knew more then a few tricks to prevent that, mostly herbal but also pessaries and condoms. A lot of this knowledge was lost during the Middle Ages, in part because of the Church and also because the population needed to be replenished because of the ravaging sicknesses and wars. But we don't have a Church like that in this universe and we do have a culture which would treasure contraceptives.

As for Honor,  in this world, it could be something more for women then men or that honor has different means between the sexes. For men, honor is found in how well they fight and with women how well they keep their word. Something like that.

Hello Siereis and welcome to the thread. I am looking for a smaller group game, ten people max. As for the ratio I have been thinking something among the lines of 1 guy to 4-5 girls, kinda like a harem anime/manga. However, last night, as I was trying to keep the boredom from drive me insane at work, I toyed with the idea of having twin brothers, for the first time in the recorded histories of Ahremberg. It could be a very very interesting twist but its not my main focus and would only really come up if I get near the max number of people.

Siereis

Ah ok great...Less than 10 but more than 3 or 4 sounds exactly like something I'd prefer.  I'll start cooking up a character and post it back here tonight for review.

IrishWolf

Excellent.

Now I'm getting back to working on my prince and maybe some dinner, lol

Odanrav

Great points made by all, and I think we're narrowing things down a good bit here. Ultimately, I think Irish should be able to take the best ideas and make this a very good setting everyone can enjoy.

This is just another quick suggestion, but the kingdom could hold a "3rd (or 2nd) born daughter rule". Where every third (again, or second) born daughter to a househeld, whether they be noble or peasent alike, has to be surrendered over to the service of a prince when they come of age. Most are probably taken to this order we're talking about for special training, while some nobles train their daughters themselves. Just spitballing. Also, I would imagine Ahremberg to be a warring country, so bringing in slaves from conquered foreign countries could be fun (good idea Aribeth), and it would create a great deal of diversity amongst the women.

By the way, I think that's a good opening scene Irish. Well done. And welcome Siereis! :)

IrishWolf

Name: Randolf, son of King Volbrecht, of House Kaysser

Personality: First and foremost, Randolf is a survivor, he has bested death once already (at least in his own mind) and nothing in this world can kill him. Like his brothers and forefathers, arrogance, pride and ruthlessness flow in his veins, mingled with his blood.  The driving force of his life, is to take control of one of, if not the most powerful nation in the world and he doesn't give a damn if it's his hands or soul coated in blood to get there. Any who stand in his way, will be removed. However, if he does have one thing he loves in this world, its his hounds and woe to those who harm his pack of hunting and war dogs.

Backstory: Randolf is the seventh of eleven sons (among a number of daughters), fathered by King Volbrecht and the forth to be born to his wife, Queen Alveena, although, as is custom she is considered the mother of all eleven boys. The first six years of his life were rather uneventful, in terms of story telling at least, playing under the watchful eyes of his mother or the maids. However, midway through his seventh year, as he was about to begin his education, sickness swept into the capital city of Fellissa and was brought into the Queen's Solar by a common maid, who would later die. He caught Smallpox but survived, when three sisters and two brothers did not but it left him scared, mostly on his face.

When he had recovered from the sickness and was declared fit (sooner then his mother wished), he was placed at the whim of three old knights, who were charged in delivering to him the training he would need. As the son of a king, he didn't have the privilege of seven years as a page and then seven as squire, like lesser noble lads and was forced to learn hard and fast, everything they did in just eight. Long days of practicing with weighted wooden weapons, being knocked around by veteran warriors, until he could hold his own against them. He grew tall and strong under such masters, spending his nights studying for demanding but wizened old men.

He first saw a man die and helped in the killing of him, at the age of ten. Attending his father for the Harvest Feast, he was serving wine at the head table. Now the patter loaded with goblets was given to him by a new man, hired by the Majordomo to take over the wine cellar, unknowingly hiring a man loyal one the King's elder sons. The wine was laced with a vile herb, which caused one to die in a twitching fit, with bloody foam on the lips but luckily only one man at the table passed on, when he took a quick drink before the evening's first toast. Unfortunately he was the son of a visiting ambassador and the incident lead to a quick war.

Arts Studied: First and foremost, the art of war. Not just swordplay but of the great campaigns, of tactics and logistics, of how to rally men to his banner and lead them to victory. Tutored in the histories of his line and nation by aged scholars, they also crammed as much of mathematics and diplomacy as they could into his skull, along with reading and writing. One day a week, he attending class at the Temple, learning of the Gods and their will. Randolf has also had some education in the arts of the bed chamber, although physical lessons have been few and recent, as it is assumed he will learn those with his Companions but he shouldn't be completely inexperienced when he meets them.

Best Skills: As with any son of the nobility or royalty, a vast majority of his studies have been in the martial arts, of sword and shield, grappling and riding. Trained by knight's in his father's personal retinue, he has had a knight full training, condensed into half the years required and often brutal in it's regiment. In addition in his ability to fight, he also seems to have a natural talent, in the breeding of hounds and horses, seeming to know which beasts to mate, in order to get the desired traits in his mounts and dogs.

Weapon(s): Warhammer, arming sword, dagger and shield

Appearance: Randolf is the image of a warrior prince of the Kaysser line. Tall but still growing, he stands near to six feet in height and its speculated that he's either match or surpass his father's six and a half feet when he's finally done growing. Fit and trim from his training, with broad shoulders to carry the weight of armor and swing weapons make him an attractive figure, with shoulder length, nut brown hair, pulled back with a simple leather band. His face, with strong jaw and hooked nose might have been handsome, had it not been for the pox scars under his eyes, over his nose and across his brow. A broad scar runs from his hairline down to split his left eyebrow, a souvenir of a how close he came to dying during a training bout with sharpened steel. His hands are already callused from his years at swordwork and despite practicing in an open courtyard everyday, his skin only as a light tan to it. The pox scars continue to appear across his chest and back but not nearly as bad on his face. Clear blue eyes, hard and cold as ice, draw the gaze of those that look at him and stare back with the judging intensity of a hunting hawk.

For the past sixteen years, he's wore the colors of his mother's family, house Schomeck, black and yellow and his mother's sigil of a leaping doe. However, now that his is age, he will now be allowed to wear the colors of House Kaysser, blue and white and his own sigil of a snarling hound. His regular cloth consists of white linen braies (basically shorts that come down to his knees) and shirt, with a doublet and chausses. leather boots, with sword and dagger belted over his doublet complete the outfit.

When riding into battle, he wears a mail shirt, a brigandine, cuisses (mail leggings), leather and mail gauntlets, mail coif and a visorless sallet style helmet.

Ladondra

If there is still any openings left open, I would very much be interested in joining this RP idea!  It sounds wonderful and intriguing! :3
R.I.P. Mama
12/05/56-12/21/14