Hunters of the Sands (Pathfinder)

Started by Sethala, November 20, 2013, 12:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Gotta ask, did Paizo ever bother to balance guns? As written, they are so stupid powerful that you might as well not use anything else....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Ghostwheel

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 06, 2013, 04:22:37 PM
Gotta ask, did Paizo ever bother to balance guns? As written, they are so stupid powerful that you might as well not use anything else....

In a few ways - first, many of the strongest ranged options (like Manyshot) can't be used with guns. Second, many guns have a very short range, and must be used almost in melee in order to gain the touch attack bonus (or you need to spend one of your few grit points--and they don't scale with level). Third, their ammunition can be very pricey. Fourth, unless you spend a feat, it can be a pain to reload them.

So while they're powerful within their first range increment, they have a number of downsides that "balance" them out, though if they succeed is debatable.

Ebb

Quote from: Ghostwheel on December 06, 2013, 04:26:04 PM
In a few ways - first, many of the strongest ranged options (like Manyshot) can't be used with guns. Second, many guns have a very short range, and must be used almost in melee in order to gain the touch attack bonus (or you need to spend one of your few grit points--and they don't scale with level). Third, their ammunition can be very pricey. Fourth, unless you spend a feat, it can be a pain to reload them.

So while they're powerful within their first range increment, they have a number of downsides that "balance" them out, though if they succeed is debatable.

Also in this setting I gather that powerful guns are a feature, not a bug.

Faeli

Finally finished up Sam but I'm not sure if I should post in the OOC thread.  Don't we have to get accepted... or something... first?

Also, I haven't picked spells since I don't know where we're starting, and her spell selection obviously depends on that :)

Callie Del Noire

You might want to read ultimate combat some.  The ADVANCED firearms are touch out to FIVE range increments. And have a further max range and lower fail rate. Also read thru the 'Guns are commonplace' changes.

Zaer Darkwail

I wonder can I post in charsheet thread, waiting ST/GM's permission before doing that.

Muse

What it basicly boils down to is that primative firearms are fairly well ballanced.  The advanced firearms--which we use in this game--not so much.  much like advanced firearms in history, they change the whole game. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 06, 2013, 05:23:34 PM
You might want to read ultimate combat some.  The ADVANCED firearms are touch out to FIVE range increments. And have a further max range and lower fail rate. Also read thru the 'Guns are commonplace' changes.

o.O Did not realize about the 5 increments. Wowy.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Ghostwheel on December 06, 2013, 08:34:55 PM
o.O Did not realize about the 5 increments. Wowy.

Of course the damage drops about a die for the big guns.. my musket master does quite well with her musket though. +1 Distance Musket and a +1 Conductive Doublebarrel musket are her primaries. (In PFS) and they have some sting.

Wish the DM had said smething when I asked if there were openings.. so I'll just lurk and watch. (not to mention I can't seem to get a decent die roll out of the die bot)

Sethala

Sorry, I didn't get much of a chance to post the last few days.  However, I'm going to go with Faeli, Shadow, and the five that posted characters in the thread when I first posted it (Ebb, Muse, Ghost, Scribbles, and Nicci), as I don't think I can realistically run a game with more players than that.

I'll be working on the initial post now and should have it up by tonight.

Callie Del Noire

Sorry that I didn't see this earlier or got an array that worked.

ShadowFox89

Check out Nicci's setup. She's hitting at a +12/+7 to hit with 1d10+1d6+6 damage with range increments of 80 as a touch attack. With that setup, there's not even any point to join in the fight, you might as well just stand around her and keep the monsters away. Most creatures at CR6 barely even have a Touch AC of more than 12 to begin with.

@Zaer: If you want, my catgirl oracle can be the one to have brought your barbarian back to health.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

Sounds good to me ShadowFox89, now question is what sort oracle is she (I did not see alignment yet on her as I last checked on her). Also what sort faith she would had preached about?

Ebb

Unless I'm reading Sethela's post wrong, it looks like Shadow's in but there's not enough room for Zaer's barbarian.

Sethala

Quote from: Ebb on December 06, 2013, 10:41:15 PM
Unless I'm reading Sethela's post wrong, it looks like Shadow's in but there's not enough room for Zaer's barbarian.

Correct.  Sorry Zaer, but I do need to cap this game at some point, and you hadn't joined up yet when I was planning who to bring with.  I do wish I had enough time for a game with all of you, but sadly that's not going to work out very well for me right now.

Sethala

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 06, 2013, 10:11:58 PM
Check out Nicci's setup. She's hitting at a +12/+7 to hit with 1d10+1d6+6 damage with range increments of 80 as a touch attack. With that setup, there's not even any point to join in the fight, you might as well just stand around her and keep the monsters away. Most creatures at CR6 barely even have a Touch AC of more than 12 to begin with.

I plan on changing some monsters slightly so that they have more touch AC, perhaps at the cost of lower flat-footed AC, to balance out the prevalence of firearms.  Some tougher monsters may even have a bonus to touch AC against firearms due to incredibly thick hides (although they would still have lower touch AC than normal AC).

Sethala