Mass Effect 3!! (Warning. Spoilers inside!)

Started by Wyrd, January 13, 2011, 08:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyrd

The conclusion to Biowares Sci-Fi master peice had been confirmed and Me and hopfully many of you are haveing a nergasm over ;D

What are your hpes, fears and predictions for Mass Effect 3?

link to trailer : Mass Effect 3 : Earth Announcement Trailer [HD]

Confirmed Features

-ME3 will end the Shephard story arc.

-ME3's universe is going to be darker, but funnier at the same time.

-The mining mini-game won’t be abandoned completely.

-The import feature will be present, with more variables than ME2 had.

-'Cheating' on your ME1 LI might have negative repercussions in ME3

-Shepard is going to rally the various races of the galaxy against the Reapers.

-The Reapers have invaded Earth and Commander Shepard will have it back.

-ME3 has been set for a Winter 2011 release

-ME3 will be released simultaneously on the PC, XBOX360 and PS3.

-If your Shepard dies in ME2, you won't be able to import your save in ME3.

-The PS3 version of ME2 will use ME3's engine.

Promises

-ME3 to maximize both quality and commercial success

-Uber-Collector’s edition will come with a special bonus item.

-More RPG features and complex enemies will be included.

-Conversations will be more cinematic.

=Vehicle Based Exploration is currently considered and might return in ME3.

=Vanguard charge will 'definitely' be in ME3. 20

Popular Rumers

-LotSB may have set the standards for ME3, gameplay and dialogue-wise.

-ME3 will have a multiplayer component.

ME3 might have 3D

-ME3 may have timed decisions

Squadmates will return.

London will be featured.

(All info taken from links found on the Bioware social net work)

Bioware account name (Keldian)

(Warning first if you are putting in spoiler for ME 1 or 2)
Ragtime Dandies!

Nova

I personal laughed at everyone who cheated on there Me1 Romance for an Me2 Romance. I stayed loyal to Liara <3 She is just so awesome...

Anyway, this is going to be a great finisher to the ME Universe...Unless they make an MMO. And i would really think everyone would be an Asari. Eitherway, i can't wait to play this game. We need good single player games out there.

Hemingway

I would've had to cheat on Liara during my first playthrough, but luckily I managed to screw up the import. Tali just drew me in.

Anyway, along with Skyrim, this game ... words cannot express how excited I am, and how excited I'm going to get before it releases. I. LOVE. MASS. EFFECT.

Bentley

I cheated on Ashley with Tali on my very first playthrough. Even though I have a subsequent playthrough which fixed that, I'll still import it. I want to see if they'll fight over Shepard.

Anyway, Mass Effect is my favorite game series of all time. I still get all giddy while watching the trailer again. The thing about LoTSB setting the standard for dialogue kind of has me furrowing my brows. I found its attempts at humor to be pretty awkward.

Hemingway

I haven't played LoTSB yet. My current playthrough, where I actually manned up and played through ME without romancing Liara, and trying to do as many side missions as possible, sort of stopped after reaching ... well, I think I've unlocked the Legion recruitment mission, but I don't recall. I'll have to finish it some day soon. Or ... maybe not, so I have more to do until ME3 comes out. Hmm.

And Nova, not everyone would be an Asari! I'd be a Turian! Or human. I don't know. I find humans in ME to be ... actually sort of interesting, unlike most fantasy settings.

Wyrd

Pleae! Lets hope the pagan gods that they never make an MMO fo ME. Why would they anyway? They got the new star wars MMO to milk. Though, I'd hate to see this end right after ME 3. I was thinking a first Contact war FPS/RTS or more RPGs that take place far in the future.
Ragtime Dandies!

Bentley

I wouldn't be too surprised if they did make an MMO. If there was the option I'd be a Drell.

Hemingway

Mass Effect needs to be an MMO shooter, sort of like Global Agenda. Well, except it doesn't really lend itself to conflict among Citadel races. It'd have to be something like ... a conflict between Citadel and Terminus forces, and that just wouldn't be as exciting.

The First Contact War wouldn't really lend itself to an FPS or RTS either, as the number of people dead was ... low. "Six hundred humans and slightly more Turians" isn't really an epic war.

I definitely think we'll be seeing more Mass Effect. But if they do change the genre, I still don't think they'd make an MMORPG any time soon. Why would they compete with their own MMORPG? It wouldn't make sense. My money is on an MMO shooter. Furthermore, I bet it'd involve mercenary organizations in the Terminus systems. Making your own group and fighting over planets and whatnot.

Wyrd

I hope they make more some more awesome single player games before they even take an MMO in to consideration. But if they do that will be the end of ME for me, at least video game wise. The books and comics are awesome!

Now can we please get back on topic! :P. What are your hopes and predictions for Mass Effect 3? How do you think things will wrap up for ol' shep?
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Shepard punches out the head Reaper. Because at this point, Shepard is like ... the ultimate badass.

Well, if truth be told, I'm not expecting to be blown away by some clever twist. I think it'll be fairly straightforward. You have to rally the Citadel races, and you probably have to find some way to end the conflict between Quarians and Geth, to get them both to help you. Which way you do it will probably have some sort of consequence in the epilogue, but otherwise be of little consequence.

Now, allow me to engage in some wild speculation.

See, my Reaper hypothesis is that the Reapers were the first species to reach a technological singularity. I think they realized they needed to either completely transcend their own, ah, mortality, or inevitably destroy themselves. Basically, the first Reaper or Reapers were the collective conscience/experience/whatever of that species. Since then, they've taken it upon themselves to repeat this process each time a new species rises to that level. Sovereign did say the Reapers are our salvation, and that is what I think he meant - turn us into Reapers, so we don't destroy ourselves and all we've created. Noble, in its own twisted way.

Now, I may be wrong. I may be terribly wrong. But if the origin of the Reapers is even remotely like what I've just described, I hope we get to visit the original Reaper homeworld. The planet where the creatures that would eventually become the first Reapers, first evolved.

Just imagine having found that planet, in some lonely and unexplored corner of the galaxy. You land there, and it's just completely deserted, has been that way for millions of years. And you slowly go through it, uncovering the horrific truth, and discovering some weakness in the Reapers, or some weapon they invented but locked away, or something to help you defeat them. Maybe something to do with Haestrom's dying star, who knows. Just something awesome that you can use to kill the Reapers.

But that's just my opinion, no need to go spreading it around.

Dammit.

I'm going to play Mass Effect 2 now.

Inkidu

You know, I don't see how it's cheating. I would call it moving on.

Ashley dumps your ass basically, and Liara becomes obsessed with the Shadow Broker. So, yeah... my super boyscout good guy (who still manages to be badass, way to go Bioware) loves fixer-upers. He's now romantically involved with Jack. Which to be honest if we're talking specifically confined to ME 2. She's better than the Tali romance.

Tali takes some going back to ME 1 to really understand her romantic subplot.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wyrd

Quote from: Inkidu on January 14, 2011, 07:26:03 PM
You know, I don't see how it's cheating. I would call it moving on.

Ashley dumps your ass basically, and Liara becomes obsessed with the Shadow Broker. So, yeah... my super boyscout good guy (who still manages to be badass, way to go Bioware) loves fixer-upers. He's now romantically involved with Jack. Which to be honest if we're talking specifically confined to ME 2. She's better than the Tali romance.

Tali takes some going back to ME 1 to really understand her romantic subplot.

I agree. It should not really have any big repercussions in ME 3 but Bioware says It's a big deal :P.

Quote from: Hemingway on January 14, 2011, 05:15:32 PM
Shepard punches out the head Reaper. Because at this point, Shepard is like ... the ultimate badass.

Well, if truth be told, I'm not expecting to be blown away by some clever twist. I think it'll be fairly straightforward. You have to rally the Citadel races, and you probably have to find some way to end the conflict between Quarians and Geth, to get them both to help you. Which way you do it will probably have some sort of consequence in the epilogue, but otherwise be of little consequence.

Now, allow me to engage in some wild speculation.

See, my Reaper hypothesis is that the Reapers were the first species to reach a technological singularity. I think they realized they needed to either completely transcend their own, ah, mortality, or inevitably destroy themselves. Basically, the first Reaper or Reapers were the collective conscience/experience/whatever of that species. Since then, they've taken it upon themselves to repeat this process each time a new species rises to that level. Sovereign did say the Reapers are our salvation, and that is what I think he meant - turn us into Reapers, so we don't destroy ourselves and all we've created. Noble, in its own twisted way.

Now, I may be wrong. I may be terribly wrong. But if the origin of the Reapers is even remotely like what I've just described, I hope we get to visit the original Reaper homeworld. The planet where the creatures that would eventually become the first Reapers, first evolved.

Just imagine having found that planet, in some lonely and unexplored corner of the galaxy. You land there, and it's just completely deserted, has been that way for millions of years. And you slowly go through it, uncovering the horrific truth, and discovering some weakness in the Reapers, or some weapon they invented but locked away, or something to help you defeat them. Maybe something to do with Haestrom's dying star, who knows. Just something awesome that you can use to kill the Reapers.

But that's just my opinion, no need to go spreading it around.

Dammit.

I'm going to play Mass Effect 2 now.

Haha! That's actually pretty close to what me and a friend of mine were talking about for ME 3 and what we think the reapers purpose is. If you look up all the thinks that Harbingers says to Shep during combat in ME2, it really seems he is implying this
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: Wyrd on January 14, 2011, 07:37:26 PM
Haha! That's actually pretty close to what me and a friend of mine were talking about for ME 3 and what we think the reapers purpose is. If you look up all the thinks that Harbingers says to Shep during combat in ME2, it really seems he is implying this

Harbinger? I mainly recall him saying things like "you will know pain, Shepard".

Sovereign says a lot of things that seem to imply pretty heavily that a) they mean to turn us into Reapers and b) the Reapers each represent a "nation" ( a culture? an entire species? )

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 14, 2011, 07:49:43 PM
Harbinger? I mainly recall him saying things like "you will know pain, Shepard".

Sovereign says a lot of things that seem to imply pretty heavily that a) they mean to turn us into Reapers and b) the Reapers each represent a "nation" ( a culture? an entire species? )
Well, I have a problem with idea B. If that's true then why are the Protheans turned into collectors. Collectors aren't Reapers.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 14, 2011, 07:57:01 PM
Well, I have a problem with idea B. If that's true then why are the Protheans turned into collectors. Collectors aren't Reapers.

Collectors aren't Reapers, but not all Protheans were turned into Collectors. Many were killed, but if hundreds of thousands or a few million are all that's needed of a species to create a Reaper, then the Reapers would have no trouble getting their hands on the needed material.

My guess would be that Sovereign was a Prothean Reaper. Just judging by the Illithid-like tentacle appearance.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 14, 2011, 08:01:25 PM
Collectors aren't Reapers, but not all Protheans were turned into Collectors. Many were killed, but if hundreds of thousands or a few million are all that's needed of a species to create a Reaper, then the Reapers would have no trouble getting their hands on the needed material.

My guess would be that Sovereign was a Prothean Reaper. Just judging by the Illithid-like tentacle appearance.
Except that Sovereign was apparently there when they wiped out the Protheans.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 14, 2011, 08:03:31 PM
Except that Sovereign was apparently there when they wiped out the Protheans.

Hmm. I can think of a really interesting way of spinning that, but fair enough.

I stick by my hypothesis all the same. If the Collectors tried to make a human Reaper by reducing humans to goo, why would that process be different from that? And why would they do that, unless it's to, in some way or another, preserve the essence of the species they're creating a Reaper from?

Oh, maybe that's what Wyrd meant, about Harbinger. Because the fact Harbinger takes a personal interest in Shepard specifically, coupled with all this other knowledge, really seems, to me at least, to suggest that they're making a human Reaper, and they want Shepard for their little machine.

Which, of course, is one possible ending. Shepard somehow managing to bargain with the Reapers, convincing them they don't need to wipe out all life, and go with them to be made a Reaper himself. I can't say that ending wouldn't sadden me, but ... those endings tend to be the best ones.

Now, I'm pretty pessimistic nowadays, about developers' ability to create interesting stories with surprising twists. I wouldn't be very surprised to find out that when Sovereign says they are our "salvation through destruction", he's really just talking about murdering all humans. Which, of course, would suck, and make the statement basically meaningless. It would also render the whole thing that much more predictable, and all that less interesting. I'd still enjoy it, sure, but ... there's just so much potential.

Inkidu

Oh I don't think it will be that passe, Bioware's good about that kind of thing. No they were building a human reaper for a reason. I just don't think they do it with every race. Maybe I'm just biased.

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on January 14, 2011, 07:49:43 PM

You really need to give what he says another listen.

"The Voice of Harbinger" (selfmade Mass Effect 3-Teaser)

"Your species will be raised to a new existence." And more then that. "We will bring your species into harmony with our own." :P
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 14, 2011, 08:40:01 PM
Oh I don't think it will be that passe, Bioware's good about that kind of thing. No they were building a human reaper for a reason. I just don't think they do it with every race. Maybe I'm just biased.

Well, I don't think they do it to every species. It may well be they only do it to one species per cycle. Perhaps they pick one species and create one Reaper. Only going for those that are somehow above the others ( as they seem to think humans are ). Just as the Protheans were before. You'd think they'd go for Asari, being the most advanced, but maybe humans have something else. You know, that intangible, somehow special human spirit.

Mass Effect is one of those rare settings where being human, for all their very obvious flaws ( expanding very rapidly, being quite aggressive/impatient, that sort of thing ), is actually cool.

And, Wyrd, I've never actually seen that trailer. I guess that's ... pretty strong evidence. xD

Nova

With the rallying all the races as part of the story. It reminds me of Dragon Age Origins..How you go for them alliance treaties.

Wyrd

Quote from: Nova on January 14, 2011, 08:52:12 PM
With the rallying all the races as part of the story. It reminds me of Dragon Age Origins..How you go for them alliance treaties.

I've herd people saying that. But knowing mass effect it will most likely be fun and interesting... Unlike DA:O was, ay least for me :P
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on January 14, 2011, 08:54:23 PM
I've herd people saying that. But knowing mass effect it will most likely be fun and interesting... Unlike DA:O was, ay least for me :P
Eh, I thought it was fun with the different ways you could take but it definitely needed more polish. Maybe they won't implement the standard Bioware story for ME3 either. You kind of see them breaking away from it with 2, and they said they are with DA II.

Wyrd

I wished they would have not made DA at all and focused on Me and that Star wars MMO thing. Dragon age felt like a step backwards from what they gave us with mass effect and Even the first KoTOR.

But to get back on topic, yes, I am hopeful that Bioware has something sweet and origanal cooking up in Edmonton that is just waiting to take the world by storm. A storm of originality!!!
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Mass Effect one also lacked a lot of polish so I mean. All for solid first tries.

Plus they work for EA now. They have real funding! ME 3 shows a good trailer but I think we're jumping the gun on thinking how awesome we expect it to be.

Hemingway

It's frickin' Mass Effect, man. How could it not be awesome? Unless, of course, you have standards nobody could ever meet. Which a lot of people seem to do nowadays, at least to some extent.

Sabby

Quote from: Hemingway on January 14, 2011, 08:47:40 PMYou'd think they'd go for Asari, being the most advanced, but maybe humans have something else. You know, that intangible, somehow special human spirit.

They probably would have gone for the Asari if Shepherd hadn't intervened. As Harbinger said, 'he has gained their attention'

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 15, 2011, 03:20:01 AM
It's frickin' Mass Effect, man. How could it not be awesome? Unless, of course, you have standards nobody could ever meet. Which a lot of people seem to do nowadays, at least to some extent.
No, my standards are very realistic. I just don't need any more hype in my system... I'm full up.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 16, 2011, 08:07:06 PM
No, my standards are very realistic. I just don't need any more hype in my system... I'm full up.

I normally hate hype and all kinds of wild speculation. I usually shut it all out. Every time a new WoW expansion launches, I have to ignore anyone talking about it, how awesome it is, and so on. It just wears me out.

BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT.

Bentley

I remember I was on the Bioware forums a lot when ME2 was first announced. But eventually all the rampant speculation became too much and I stopped going.

I was going to make a list of my hopes, but it got kind of long and I realize it's very unlikely that they'll all be fulfilled.

CmdrRenegade

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!!!!!

Even considering my persona, I'm trying to be cautious.  I have to admit I'm worried that they're going to have make Shepard even more "powerful" in some contrived way to do this, which will go well beyond my suspension of disbelief.  I loved ME1 and loved ME2 even more still, but  I am still wondering how well this  is going to play out though.  We see Reapers invading Earth proper and probably other major human worlds like Terra Nova (from Bring Down the Sky DLC in ME 1), but I'm wondering how that can possibly work out well for the storyline.  It took Shepard all that effort to destroy one Reaper and thwart the complicated scheme of another.  Now they're all coming at once.  If Sovereign and Harbinger were able to do so much damage with their schemes, what's the rest of the Reapers going to do.  Maybe things will change but I'm having a hard time imagining all the galactic species banding together, fighting all the Reapers, and succeeding.  In ME1 we saw what one Reaper with a large heretical Geth escort could do.  What could say, ten Reapers do to the Citadel fleet? And that's considering we saw hundreds of them in ME2's ending.  I really do hope that many of my worries are unfounded though. 
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Hemingway

I doubt it'll be as simple as rallying all the different species and convincing them the Reapers are real.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Hemingway on January 17, 2011, 02:15:36 PM
I doubt it'll be as simple as rallying all the different species and convincing them the Reapers are real.

Seems to me the massive footage of Soveriegn would be quite convincing.

Hemingway

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 17, 2011, 03:03:57 PM
Seems to me the massive footage of Soveriegn would be quite convincing.

Sovereign is dead, silly. Destroyed! He has shed his mortal coil! He exists no more!

Ah, but aside from that ...

Yes. Yes, I think that would be enough evidence that the Reapers are real.

And evidence of their destructive capabilities.

CmdrRenegade

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!!!!

Quote from: Hemingway on January 17, 2011, 02:15:36 PM

That's part of my point actually best summed up in this:
AH YES, REAPERS

No matter what your choices in the first two games, 'people' as a whole can't or won't accept the Reaper threat.  The Council and Embassy races don't believe Reapers exist, despite Sovereign being far beyond anything the Geth could create.  People in the Terminus systems are too busy robbing and killing each other to notice, which was how the Collectors were able to get away with so much.  The Quarians are arguing with each other whether to take back their home world from the Geth, find a new one, or try to resubjugate the Geth.  Speaking of which, the Geth are the one of theonly ones taking the threat seriously, but they never go beyond the Veil and of course no one trusts them.  Then of course there's Cerberus who has plenty of resources, but of course no one trusts them either.  Honestly, unless there's a time skip where a lot of these conditions change, I don't see how this can end well.  Even if it's somehow possible for everybody to band together and face the Reapers as a united front, there's at least hundreds of them.  It just looks story-wise right now that Bioware has bitten off more than they can chew.  Shepard and his/her crew from both games are exceptional individuals, but what can you do against sentient super-battleships in which just one can annihilate a fleet?

But on the other hand, much of this is speculative.  There are few details right now beyond that trailer.  I just hope we don't get into an odd situation where Shepard's 'power' (and I'm using this term very loosely) keeps going up beyond the ability for people to suspend their disbelief.  That being said, they may already have it figured out and I'm just voicing my own insecurities about it.  I love the ME universe and I just hope the last game doesn't "jump the shark" with some kind of Xanatos Roulette or something.  http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosRoulette
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Hemingway

When Reapers come raining down in London, people are going to have no choice.

I do believe ending the conflict between the Geth and Quarians, as I believe I mentioned, will be a central part of the game. Adding the might of both Geth ( either free and having made peace with Quarians, or under Quarian control, impacting the epilogue rather than the story itself ) and Quarians to the Citadel fleet will help.

Cerberus ... Well, I'm reading the latest novel right now, and without spoiling anything, Cerberus is experiencing setbacks. I don't know how they end up yet, having only gotten about half-way through the novel, but stuff is looking bleak for them. I do expect characters from the novel to have some impact, though.

Finally, I do believe they'll find some sort of secret weapon or weakness in the Reapers. I wrote a long post speculating on that, though, which you can find in this thread if you're curious.

Solstice

So, firstly, I'm quite ecstatic to be hearing about this--and this year, no less! True, pretty much the entirety of the year away, but still!

However, as much as I've liked the series so far, and while I don't expect ME3 will disappoint...

Quote from: Hemingway on January 17, 2011, 04:21:40 PM
Finally, I do believe they'll find some sort of secret weapon or weakness in the Reapers. I wrote a long post speculating on that, though, which you can find in this thread if you're curious.

That's kinda my concern. I honestly expect the climax will involve some form of Deus ex Machina, be it uploading a super computer virus, causing the Reapers to see the errors of their ways through good ol' human logic, or...

...Yeah, I'm hoping for something other than that. Hoping, but... not optimistic.
Apoloies & Absences - Updated 11/16/2014 - Around and available? Hopefully?

Hemingway

Quote from: Solstice on January 17, 2011, 05:35:02 PM
That's kinda my concern. I honestly expect the climax will involve some form of Deus ex Machina, be it uploading a super computer virus, causing the Reapers to see the errors of their ways through good ol' human logic, or...

...Yeah, I'm hoping for something other than that. Hoping, but... not optimistic.

Like I believe I explained in my previous post, I'm hoping for something involving the origin of the Reapers myself.

I mean, it'd be pretty cheap if they just made the same trick the Reapers used on the Geth, also work on the Reapers. I somehow doubt it'll be like that, but I guess I could be wrong. It's really hard to speculate, because there's so little information, and we're not given a lot of hints.

I should finish the novel, really. It may have some hints. It does deal with Reaper technology.

Wyrd

Besides learning more about the reapers. I'm also looking forward to see what involvement the geth and quarians will have in the next instalment. I remember a dialog where you ask if the quarians will lend their "much needed support". I'm also wanting see if any of those "good geth" legion spoke of will lend any assistance. could the geth and quarians work together to stop a commen enemy.
Ragtime Dandies!

CmdrRenegade

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!!!!

@Hemingway

I reread your post.  I agree with your thought about a resolution being made between the Quarians and the 'orthodox' Geth (the majority who didn't follow Sovereign and sent Legion on its mission).  Maybe it's just me but I actually hope that there's more of a mystery behind the Reapers.  They're H.P. Lovecraft 'Elder Gods' remade for the 21st/22nd century.  I have to give the script writers credit for bringing 'cosmic horror' back in a way that works with modern sensibilities.  I kind of want their origins to remain 'unknowable.' That being said that punching out techno-Cthulhu (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidYouJustPunchOutCthulhu)sounds awesome in something that plays fast and looser like in a lot of sci-fi anime.  However, in Mass Effect which takes itself more seriously, I just don't see how that could work. 

I have to admit they pushed things by literally bringing Shepard back from the dead.  As out there as that was, they kept it within my suspension of disbelief with good writing.  But one wo/man with his/her small crew taking on hundreds of gigantic, powerful, and super intelligent starship organisms...well I think you can see the problem I'm having.  The Reapers have been set up as cybernetic 'Elder Gods' and as anyone who has read Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, or any other fiction that takes on horrors like this can tell you, it rarely ends well.  When it does, its usually because the hero was able to stop the cosmic horror from even appearing on 'the mortal plane', yet if Mass Effect 2's ending and the trailer are any indication, the Reapers were able to make the long and slow trip back to the Milky Way. 

Like I've said, this is speculation on my part based on my own prejudices, biases, etc.  Believe me, I want the game to be good and have a satisfying end.  I'm just having a hard time imagining what that could be when the 'cosmic horrors' are already there wreaking havoc. 

Hemingway

Personally, I would be more satisfied learning the Reapers' origins. It's just the rational, scientific part of me wanting an explanation. I mean, with Lovecraft ( whose work I adore! ) you're bending or breaking the laws of the universe, and it's more outright magic. There's no magic in Mass Effect, and so I feel that even the Elder Gods of Mass Effect need a scientific explanation.

But those are just my feelings.

Huh. By the way. That dying star - I'm guessing that will somehow be significant, perhaps somehow using knowledge gained from it, or some such, to defeat the Reapers. Or, hey! Pull a Paul Atreides, and threaten to extinguish every star in the galaxy if the Reapers don't back off! Even Reapers wouldn't be able to survive in that void.

CmdrRenegade

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!!!!

Yeah, I have to agree about the dying star from the Haestrom mission.  There has to be something to it if they're willing to send Tali and so many valuable personnel on a dangerous mission.  I sincerely hope that it wasn't merely scientific curiosity.  Tali did mention 'dark energy' as a probable cause.  Gianna Parasini also mentioned 'dark energy' when talking about corporate investigations for Noveria Internal Affairs.  It may just be a throwaway and a coincidence but it kind of makes me wonder if the use of mass effect fields and biotics is having a major effect on the galaxy.  I know there was a Star Trek TNG episode about something similar.  We'll see.

Wyrd

It would be nice if you guys could remember to tag your posts with some sort of spoiler alerts. It's just something that's always considerate to do.
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

SPOILER, maybe :P

I read an interesting theory that galactic cullings happen as a universe health measure, and that messing around with Dark Energy (biotics, space travel and such) has unseen but adverse effects on the universe. Us dicking around with powers and sciences we don't yet understand leads to things like the premature ageing of the Haestrom star. Reaper's know this, and it may explain why they live in DARK SPACE. No stars, all gone, because someone just had to mess around with Dark Energy >.>

Us avoiding our genocide could be very dangerous for the universe. But I can see why the Reapers would choose to lead us on and then cut us back like a garden of vines, rather then try and teach us how to properly use Dark Energy. It's safer. Less room for error.

Wyrd

Then way would they built these civilizations in the first place? Their must be something more to all this
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

They don't build, they guide. The Relays and the Citadel are a system that means life will follow a predictable pattern, one that sets it up for a quick and decisive end. I'm sure the Reapers do get something material out of it, since they strip worlds during a culling.

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on January 18, 2011, 12:13:44 AM
SPOILER, maybe :P

I read an interesting theory that galactic cullings happen as a universe health measure, and that messing around with Dark Energy (biotics, space travel and such) has unseen but adverse effects on the universe. Us dicking around with powers and sciences we don't yet understand leads to things like the premature ageing of the Haestrom star. Reaper's know this, and it may explain why they live in DARK SPACE. No stars, all gone, because someone just had to mess around with Dark Energy >.>

They probably live in dark space because nothing would ever think to look for a dormant fleet of killer machines out there. If dark space once had stars and planets, that would basically contradict all of science.

Now, as far as having to stop us from destroying the stars in the galaxy, that would make sense - even Reapers need some sort of energy source, and without stars there would be nothing in the long run. Reapers are ancient and powerful, but you don't fuck around with space. Space is huge. Words cannot really get across how huge. It's possible, even probably, even the Reapers wouldn't be able to get from the Milky Way to another galaxy alive.

That said, it's kind of a dull explanation, and the Reapers would have to be pretty stupid to allow advanced civilizations to emerge, knowing they could conceivably fuck up the whole galaxy.

Solstice

Quote from: Wyrd on January 18, 2011, 12:25:21 AM
Then way would they built these civilizations in the first place? Their must be something more to all this

Covered, I believe, near the end of the second game, and so...

BEGIN SPOILERS

Throughout ME2, humans are being abducted en masse. In the final 'dungeon' of the game, it's revealed that said humans get decomposed into some kind of mineral goo and that this material is being used to construct another Reaper (which, by the way, is one of the stupidest looking final bosses in all of ever).

It's speculated  (or stated outright? I'm not sure, it's been a while) that that's the MO of the Reapers: they come back to the galaxy, process all sentient life forms into raw materials, and use the resulting stuff to build Reapers (which, presumably, look more Reaper-y once they're finished). I believe it's also acknowledged that this is incredibly inefficient, and used to reinforce the fact that the Reapers have completely alien, incomprehensible motivations and mindsets.

So... that, presumably, is why they allow civilizations to progress before harvesting them: they need lots of sapient life forms to effectively make new Reapers from. The Protheans were an exception.

END SPOILERS

...Of course, there may be more to it than that. I second the position of not wanting to have the origin and motives of the Reapers be fully explained--the Elder Gods analogy was a good one, and part of what makes them so 'scary', if you will, is that they are unknown and unknowable.

As for bringing them into the galaxy en masse...

One way of resolving the story, I suppose, would've been stopping one last Reaper attempt to bring in the fleet, maybe end on the note of "They're still coming, but at least now we have hundreds of years to prepare" or... something of the sort. People might have found that unfulfilling, but that is what I would have done if I'd been writing the story, and it would've done much better at preserving their mystique as giant, horrid, world-ending space-monsters.

So... I'll just cross my fingers and hope that Bioware doesn't just suddenly de-power the Reapers so they can be wiped out in droves.  Story's been epic so far, and I'd like to see it stay that way.

Wyrd

*Some spoilers may follow.*

You do make great points. But why would the Prptheans be an exception? Why would they make a gaint human reaper? To sit on top of a reaper ship and kick the enemy in the face? The whole collecter thing seemed like a "plan B" (A stupid plan B) for the reapers so they would have some thing their if they failed to use the citadel to get the fleet in from dark space. I just can't accept that their plan is to kill millions of peoplke just to make smoothies out of them.
Ragtime Dandies!

CmdrRenegade

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

It's been speculated in game by EDI that the Protheans failed as a building material (the 'smoothies') for a new Reaper, but they still had a potential purpose.  The going theory with the most weight is that the Reaper harvesting of sentient life is their means of reproduction.  It's also been theorized outside of the game, that the Human-Reaper was meant to do Sovereign's job and manually open the Citadel relay to dark space.  To me at least, asking why the Reapers are harvesting all sentient life to reproduce is like asking why Cthulhu, Dagon, or any other elder god consumes reality.  It's just what they do.  Still, except for what was specifically mentioned in canon, this is all speculation. 

Wyrd

If the human reaper was ment to open up the mass relay to let in the fleet, then why not try and make him into a giant ship, just like the others? I hope we get an insight as for the real purpose for this thing in ME 3.

(I've also never read any of lovcrafts work. So i'm holding out for an actual reason other then "Thats just what they do")
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Uh ... yeah, spoilers. Wouldn't it be easier to mark the thread with spoilers? I mean, honestly ...

The Collectors struck me as very ... tragic. Forced to do the Reapers' bidding by creating new Reapers, all that. Basically, desperately trying to make up for their own "failure", in a twisted way.

I never really got the impression the human Reaper plan was something on the official Reaper agenda, more like the actions of Harbinger using the Collectors. But that's just me. Either way, it does seem they want to make a human Reaper, and that the timing of such a creation doesn't really matter. Using it to attack the Citadel, like Sovereign tried before, doesn't seem unlikely, but it seems unlikely such a plan would work a second time. In the end, it's not something that bothers me a lot, so if there's no official explanation ... which I don't see as that unlikely, then ... well, hey, I have my own theories, and we can be happy not knowing and all that.

As for the form ... well, like I said, tragic Collectors and all that. I saw that basically as an expression of ... well, the Collectors worshipping humans, almost. They were deemed unworthy, but the humans are worthy, so in some twisted way, they worship them.

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on January 18, 2011, 04:11:53 PM
Uh ... yeah, spoilers. Wouldn't it be easier to mark the thread with spoilers? I mean, honestly ...

I was expecting more talk on peoples hopes and predictions for ME 3 more then all the talk of ME 2's plot hole filled story. But yes, it seems better to to that, I mean, honestly...

As for the human reaper an collectors. I don't really think the collectors are even sapant really, just mindless puppets. Tools if anything for the reapers to keep an eye on the galaxy
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

We are talking about that, aren't we? ;)

Hmm. That seems unlikely to me. But ... yeah, that's just me.

Solstice

Your mileage may vary, but... My take on the human Reaper, well, looking like a human, was that it was eventually going to wind up looking like a giant space squid like all the rest, and that the human form was only present (or perhaps just only visible) during construction. All other Reapers we've seen have been much, much bigger. My impression is that the humanoid form was going to wind up being the Reaper's 'core', perhaps like the boss of the Derelict Reaper zone.

As for it being 'just what they do', it doesn't seem we'll get a more rational explanation than that. We may, but, at several points throughout both games, it's been stated that trying to psychoanalyze the Reapers is pointless, as they have completely different mentalities than any form of organic life.

They also, apparently, find being worshiped to be insulting.

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on January 18, 2011, 04:36:35 PM
We are talking about that, aren't we? ;)

Hmm. That seems unlikely to me. But ... yeah, that's just me.

How is that unlikely? Their far from what they may have used to be. Their just big mindless bugs.

@Solstice.

I've been running that theory of the human reaper through my mind a bit lately too. It seems like it would be the most logical reason for the whole thing. I could have still done with out it, though. But that's the way it is.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: Wyrd on January 18, 2011, 05:46:06 PM
How is that unlikely? Their far from what they may have used to be. Their just big mindless bugs.

Have you read the comic, Redemption?

Wyrd

I can't find them any where, I only have the first one. Plus, I should not have to go out and buy some comic to get a full understanding of whats going on. Damn you Bioware!!
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Well, I won't spoil anything major ... but the Collectors that appear in it ( it takes place between ME1 and 2, while people are after Shepard's body ) ... are quite verbose. Not exactly mindless drones.

Wyrd

Why such collecters were not potrayed in ME 2 is odd. Then again, alot of things in Me 2 were odd. I really hope I get a hold of these comics some where As well as the Illiusive man comic thats out now.
Ragtime Dandies!

CmdrRenegade

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW
The verbosity is usually just Harbinger ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL as it often and annoyingly tends to do.  And on that note...

IAMHARBINGER - ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

CmdrRenegade

All jokes aside, I own all 4 issues of Redemption.  It's already been released in trade paperback.  I'll try not to spoil anything, but to understand one of the pieces of DLC better, you should probably read it.

Wyrd

I'm gonna head to the comic store this week end. I'm hoping to get Redemption and Evolution.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 18, 2011, 08:03:33 PM
SPOILERS TO FOLLOW
The verbosity is usually just Harbinger ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL as it often and annoyingly tends to do.  And on that note...

Massive comic spoilers to follow! Avert your eyes!

At the end of Redemption, both the Collector General and a drone are present. Both speak. The General does his usual one-liner stuff, which may be Harbinger. The drone does speak more eloquently, however. More naturally. My money is on, if anything, Harbinger controlling the General, who in turn can control the others, who are otherwise independent, thinking creatures.

Inkidu

As far as I'm concerned if it's not in the game it's not real. :)

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: Inkidu on January 20, 2011, 06:03:27 PM
As far as I'm concerned if it's not in the game it's not real. :)

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not.  The comics, novels, and the iOS game with Jacob are there to give background.  And they ARE canon.  Unlike Lucas who just puts on stamps where he feels like it, these things are all being written by the very same people who wrote the script and back story for the games such as Drew Karpyshan. 

Wyrd

I agree. Mass Effect is so much more then just a game. The comics and continuing story in the novels make it feel spacial. Even though I have yet to read the comics, I can still respect and acknowledge that their is canon facts in them.
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 20, 2011, 09:00:30 PM
I'm not sure if you're being serious or not.  The comics, novels, and the iOS game with Jacob are there to give background.  And they ARE canon.  Unlike Lucas who just puts on stamps where he feels like it, these things are all being written by the very same people who wrote the script and back story for the games such as Drew Karpyshan.
Don't care. While all that stuff is fine and dandy. I didn't buy Mass Effect to read a book. I bought it to play a video game. If they want to offer expanded story lines or whatnot for money-making purposes that's fine. I just want the video game and that's all that's important.

Cruxy

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Wyrd

Quote from: Inkidu on January 21, 2011, 06:12:38 PM
Don't care. While all that stuff is fine and dandy. I didn't buy Mass Effect to read a book. I bought it to play a video game. If they want to offer expanded story lines or whatnot for money-making purposes that's fine. I just want the video game and that's all that's important.

I'm not a real bigt gamer, but I do like some stuff that Bioware has puy out. Mass Effect never felt like a normal game to me. When I first played Me it was like the first time I watched Star Wars.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: Wyrd on January 21, 2011, 10:47:57 PM
I'm not a real bigt gamer, but I do like some stuff that Bioware has puy out. Mass Effect never felt like a normal game to me. When I first played Me it was like the first time I watched Star Wars.

Exactly how I felt. It really felt like the Star Wars of my generation, so to speak.

CmdrRenegade

Funny you two should say that.  For me, it's pretty much taken the place of Star Wars. 

Xanatos

Star Wars is to epic and too timeless to be brought down by Mass Effect. Don't get me wrong, I love Mass Effect, but it still cannot compare to the simplicity/yet complex nature of Star Wars: movies and Expanded Universe. Star Wars is so huge, so monolithic, it dwarfs the depth that Mass Effect has. Besides, Star Wars has had 40+ years to grow. Perhaps Mass Effect will grow in the same manner, but only time will tell.

On a different note, I have been considering buying the Mass Effect comics. Does anyone know where to begin? Comic's don't make themselves easy to understand when it comes to where things begin or end. Are there graphic novels preferably, to make things easier?

CmdrRenegade

You're in luck.  There aren't all that many yet.  They all cover background detail so if you've played both games, you won't have to worry about spoilers. 

Ascension (features Liara and shows what happened after the opening act of ME2) has already run its course and you can pick up in one trade paperback spanning all 4 issues.  Evolution (the origin of the Illusive Man) has only just started.  Inquisition (starring ME2's Captain Bailey) can be found here.  http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2010-10-25-masseffect25_ST_N.htm You'll be done with it in a few minutes.  Incursion (starring Aria and taking place before ME2) can be found here under References http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2010-10-25-masseffect25_ST_N.htm You'll also be finished quickly with it. 

If you wanted to, you could gather all this stuff together and read all of it start to finish in under 2 hours.  Bioware is keeping things very tightly controlled, at least for now.  I

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 22, 2011, 07:24:10 AM
Exactly how I felt. It really felt like the Star Wars of my generation, so to speak.
Well, I've never read any Star Wars books from the "expanded universe" or whatever it's called. The only one I ever read (and that's because I found it in the bleachers of the gym whilst I was in high school) was the book adaptation of Revenge of the Sith.

I've played video games based on Star Wars but if it's not the movies I'm not one to care. Same with Mass Effect but in reverse. Cross-media is a great way to make money, just don't expect me to give a care or consider it a meaningful pursuit of my Mass Effect experience.

Wyrd

Quote from: Inkidu on January 22, 2011, 08:18:53 PM
Well, I've never read any Star Wars books from the "expanded universe" or whatever it's called. The only one I ever read (and that's because I found it in the bleachers of the gym whilst I was in high school) was the book adaptation of Revenge of the Sith.

I've played video games based on Star Wars but if it's not the movies I'm not one to care. Same with Mass Effect but in reverse. Cross-media is a great way to make money, just don't expect me to give a care or consider it a meaningful pursuit of my Mass Effect experience.

I can see your point. All the extra stuff outside the game is not for everyone, and I can see how it likes like a money scam. But If that means enjoying the novels as much as I did is wrong then I don't care to be right. lol!
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

I had issue 1 of Redemption (came with the special edition of the game) and wasn't too impressed. Maybe it get's better, but it was like a 14 year olds fan fiction to me.

I know that Liara later turns into a cold, resourceful bad ass, but it just doesn't sit well with me seeing her be a one-liner spouting, glowering dumb action hero.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on January 23, 2011, 01:11:34 AM
I had issue 1 of Redemption (came with the special edition of the game) and wasn't too impressed. Maybe it get's better, but it was like a 14 year olds fan fiction to me.

I know that Liara later turns into a cold, resourceful bad ass, but it just doesn't sit well with me seeing her be a one-liner spouting, glowering dumb action hero.
Well, this might come as a shocker to people, but I never really liked Liara.

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 05:10:38 PM
Well, this might come as a shocker to people, but I never really liked Liara.

As she was in Mass Effect 2, or Redemption? Very different.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on January 23, 2011, 05:28:28 PM
As she was in Mass Effect 2, or Redemption? Very different.
As she was in Mass Effect.

Sabby

Mass Effect 1. Timid, unsocial, over analysed as a nervous habit.

Mass Effect 2. Cold, deadly, resourceful, driven by personal events she keeps secret, brokers in information to gain the power she needs.

Redemption is the in between and is supposed to tell us what happened that made her this way. Like I said, only saw 1 of 4, but it didn't help me see a transition, it showed me Duke Nukem with tits and blue skin.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on January 23, 2011, 05:36:24 PM
Mass Effect 1. Timid, unsocial, over analysed as a nervous habit.

Mass Effect 2. Cold, deadly, resourceful, driven by personal events she keeps secret, brokers in information to gain the power she needs.

Redemption is the in between and is supposed to tell us what happened that made her this way. Like I said, only saw 1 of 4, but it didn't help me see a transition, it showed me Duke Nukem with tits and blue skin.
I don't like Liara. I think Jenkins had more potential for solid character than Liara. :\

CmdrRenegade

It kind of bothered me that Jenkins got a character sheet and didn't even get to so much as fire his gun once before he died.  At least Trask Ulgo (the dude from KotOR) got to do some stuff before dying. 

Wyrd

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 23, 2011, 06:56:04 PM
It kind of bothered me that Jenkins got a character sheet and didn't even get to so much as fire his gun once before he died.  At least Trask Ulgo (the dude from KotOR) got to do some stuff before dying.

Lol! and At least Trask had a heroic death. When Jenkins got Zipped a laughed my ass off.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

I used to like Liara. Mass Effect 2 changed that. I don't care for her new personality at all. But it's cool, because the game gave me a new favorite character in Tali.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 07:11:24 PM
I used to like Liara. Mass Effect 2 changed that. I don't care for her new personality at all. But it's cool, because the game gave me a new favorite character in Tali.
That's because Liara's not that great of a character. For an entity that lives what 1000 years she shouldn't change personalities so drastically in two. Especially over nothing that's not fully explained in game or even Shepard related.

Here's the meeting: "Well no one really liked Liara unless it was to sleep with her blue self. So we're going to reinvent her as a cold-blooded badass."

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 07:19:48 PM
That's because Liara's not that great of a character. For an entity that lives what 1000 years she shouldn't change personalities so drastically in two. Especially over nothing that's not fully explained in game or even Shepard related.

Here's the meeting: "Well no one really liked Liara unless it was to sleep with her blue self. So we're going to reinvent her as a cold-blooded badass."

I agree, the change was very dramatic. It might be justifiable, given all the circumstances, so it doesn't really bother me that much ... but I just don't like her. Maybe if her personality in Mass Effect 3 ends up as some sort of hybrid of the two. But ... yeah.

I actually liked the old Liara, though.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 07:26:45 PM
I agree, the change was very dramatic. It might be justifiable, given all the circumstances, so it doesn't really bother me that much ... but I just don't like her. Maybe if her personality in Mass Effect 3 ends up as some sort of hybrid of the two. But ... yeah.

I actually liked the old Liara, though.
Yeah, don't hold your breath. Maybe it's bias but I liked Ashley's romance plot better. (Until Tali's came around of course. Though that was partially because I wanted a peek behind the mask.)

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 07:48:53 PM
Yeah, don't hold your breath. Maybe it's bias but I liked Ashley's romance plot better. (Until Tali's came around of course. Though that was partially because I wanted a peek behind the mask.)

Oh, I won't mind. I didn't really care for Ashley, either. She's a racist!

Funny thing is, I didn't really care for Tali in the first game. Seeing her again in the first mission of Mass Effect 2 sort of changed that, though. It was like seeing an old friend again. Then listening to the recordings on Haestrom, rescuing her, all that ... well, I like her, a lot. My favorite character, easily. Probably the most well-developed, too. Including having the most well-developed romance.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 07:53:52 PM

Funny thing is, I didn't really care for Tali in the first game. Seeing her again in the first mission of Mass Effect 2 sort of changed that, though. It was like seeing an old friend again. Then listening to the recordings on Haestrom, rescuing her, all that ... well, I like her, a lot. My favorite character, easily. Probably the most well-developed, too. Including having the most well-developed romance.
I did like Jack's though. It was actually deep if you could get past the swearing.

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: Wyrd on January 23, 2011, 07:00:06 PM
Lol! and At least Trask had a heroic death. When Jenkins got Zipped a laughed my ass off.
Agreed.  He actually inspired a lot of emotion for a minor NPC and that's saying something.  Unfortunately, it seems they ran out of time on the development scale with the characters in the first game.  The only development was through conversation and the 3 very limited loyalty quests.  It makes me wonder what role, if any, they'll have in ME 3. 

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 07:53:52 PM

Tali is a little to much of a Shepard fan girl for me ever to take her serious as a LI for ME2. Even when you don't give her the Geth data for her pilgrimage in ME1 and she gets pissed off you, she somehow just forgets all that and goes all. "I want you Shepard and nothing else!! Shepard! Shepard! Shepard!" I found her Romance to be more of a "Here you go" for all the people that wanted to do her in ME1. At least with Jack you can see some clear and huge character break through. I never had Miranda as a LI so I won't comment about what hers is like.
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on January 23, 2011, 08:38:17 PM
Tali is a little to much of a Shepard fan girl for me ever to take her serious as a LI for ME2. Even when you don't give her the Geth data for her pilgrimage in ME1 and she gets pissed off you, she somehow just forgets all that and goes all. "I want you Shepard and nothing else!! Shepard! Shepard! Shepard!" I found her Romance to be more of a "Here you go" for all the people that wanted to do her in ME1. At least with Jack you can see some clear and huge character break through. I never had Miranda as a LI so I won't comment about what hers is like.
Miranda's is pretty average. I only really liked her for her accent and her... obvious other asset.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 08:35:00 PM
I did like Jack's though. It was actually deep if you could get past the swearing.

I like Jack. Jack is easily my favorite biotic in ME2. I should probably use her more. I just really like having two people I know covering my back. It screws me up as far as biotic abilities go, but Garrus and Tali make short work of synthetics, at least!

Speaking of favorite characters, I despise Samara. Not just because I find her uninteresting and sort of ugly, but on a philosophical level. I don't really see how you can apply standard Paragon/Renegade responses to the stuff she does, because even when the things she do are arguably good, they're still horribly extreme and reprehensible.

Quote from: Wyrd on January 23, 2011, 08:38:17 PM
Tali is a little to much of a Shepard fan girl for me ever to take her serious as a LI for ME2. Even when you don't give her the Geth data for her pilgrimage in ME1 and she gets pissed off you, she somehow just forgets all that and goes all. "I want you Shepard and nothing else!! Shepard! Shepard! Shepard!" I found her Romance to be more of a "Here you go" for all the people that wanted to do her in ME1. At least with Jack you can see some clear and huge character break through. I never had Miranda as an LI so I wan't comment about what hers is like.

I guess it made more sense to me, since she never hated me in the first place. I won't go into the details of why exactly I find the Tali romance so believable, as obviously you're entitled to your opinion. But so am I, and I think yours is wrong. ;D

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 08:43:47 PM
Miranda's is pretty average. I only really liked her for her accent and her... obvious other asset.

DAT ASS!

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 08:46:04 PM
I like Jack. Jack is easily my favorite biotic in ME2. I should probably use her more. I just really like having two people I know covering my back. It screws me up as far as biotic abilities go, but Garrus and Tali make short work of synthetics, at least!

Speaking of favorite characters, I despise Samara. Not just because I find her uninteresting and sort of ugly, but on a philosophical level. I don't really see how you can apply standard Paragon/Renegade responses to the stuff she does, because even when the things she do are arguably good, they're still horribly extreme and reprehensible.

I guess it made more sense to me, since she never hated me in the first place. I won't go into the details of why exactly I find the Tali romance so believable, as obviously you're entitled to your opinion. But so am I, and I think yours is wrong. ;D

Some defense. But you are right. I'm still not gonna have any respect for turning tali into a Shepard fan girl.Though, With the excepting fro her laughable romance, she had amazing character development and emotion on the other missions that involved her. Still, No matter how bad you treated her in ME 1, she still rubs her self to Shepard's face at night :P. Garrus is my favorite character, but when I try to have a friend to friend conversation with him Male shep, it always leads to "Oh, I don't swing that way, Shepard." I with there was an option that let Shep say something like, "Get over your self, I thought you were a friend." But no, everything had to be about sex with most of the squad members, so a lot of interaction was clouded be this.

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 23, 2011, 08:48:45 PM
DAT ASS!

Haha!
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 23, 2011, 08:48:45 PM
DAT ASS!
They know it too. Look how many shots they stick in there! So does her black suit or the white one look better?

CmdrRenegade

I glad that with the Lair of the Shadow Broker, I can end things with Liara because I never really liked how it turned out.  My Renegade Shepard, believe or not, liked her better as the introverted but sweet bookworm.  Although I find Tali to be an interesting and well-developed character, I've never considered he for an LI.  The only thing I found sexy about Tali was her accent.  Jack is just too plain psychotic for my taste.  There's definite depth to her character, but it takes too long to get past all of it.  My Renegade Shepard this go round is going to amicably end things with Liara and shack up with Miranda most likely. 

Prototype

Thane Krios for the win.  ::)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

My two cents.

The puritan filth, where ivy grows
The poisoned tear, the thorn, the rose
The sin, the pleasure, the sexual urge
Is what I choose for my last dirge

Hemingway

Thane Krios: badass assassin with a troubled past who somehow manages not to come off as a walking, talking cliché.

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 09:00:31 PM
They know it too. Look how many shots they stick in there! So does her black suit or the white one look better?
No complaints about either.  Both make me stand at attention like Ken says.  If I had to pick I'd go with the black one though.
Quote from: Hemingway on January 25, 2011, 08:26:20 AM
Thane Krios: badass assassin with a troubled past who somehow manages not to come off as a walking, talking cliché.
Agreed. 

Now that I'm thinking about all this, what were the thoughts on the 2 optional characters: Zaeed and Kasumi? For me, Zaeed is Boba Fett done right, where instead of having a chump's death, you learn about his reputation and really see how he earned it.  Kasumi definitely has that thrilling air like so many 'master thief' stories have.  Also, I can't be the only one who'd like her as potential LI?

Hemingway

Zaeed is batshit insane.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I would've left him to burn if I hadn't been such a nice guy.

Kasumi ... I don't care that much for. Her character is just completely uninteresting to me. It's not bad, it's just not the type of character I like. Her loyalty mission was interesting, though, and I do like the choice at the end. It's quite profound.

Best part about Kasumi was her unlockable ability. Flashbangs! Just what my soldier Shepard needed.

cryptkeeper0

I really want to play the games i still need to play the 1st and 2nd one though. but the trailer is nice

Bentley

Zaeed is badass. I like him. Kasumi is one of my favorite squad mates though.

I hope they get full conversation wheels in ME3.

Hemingway

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

I also have a black N7 t-shirt.

I'm not obsessed.

... I am considering an N7 tattoo. It is a very good-looking logo.

Yeah.

Yeah, this may be a bit unhealthy.

Wyrd

I have a Dream Theater Tattoo. I've also been thinking about some sort of ME ink. I'm really considering the Cerberus logo
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

http://biowarestore.com/core/media/media.nl/id.345/c.862287/.f?h=86f3aa5360d7acc5a14e

With or without text? ;)

I know, I know, the text isn't part of the logo ...

Haha, it's interesting ... within the ME universe, a tattoo like that would be really offensive. In reality ... not at all.

Wyrd

I can't really decide right now. :P But right now, I'm thinking without text maybe. To be less offencive to the none humans... like my wife
Ragtime Dandies!

CmdrRenegade

I've considered getting one of those "Renegade" shirts, but I'll have to wait until the price goes down.  I'm not paying $24 for a T-shirt.

Hemingway

I had to pay a great deal more than that for the shirt + shipping. So worth it. :'D

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Just finished my second playthrough. Hardcore difficulty. No one left behind, babyyy.

Guess it's time to finally get Lair of the Shadow Broker.

Inkidu

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

I wanted to say it got old, but it really is awesome. It's awesome, with science on top, so you can feel smart about understanding it.

I'm playing Lair of the Shadow Broker right now, after EA finally let me on their servers. It. Is. Amazing. I'm not through yet, but my impression so far ... it's awesome. The first scene has great atmosphere, the Shadow Broker's base is mind-blowing. And it's funny! Ahhh!

Wyrd

Yeah. Lair of the Shadow broker was one of the best missions I've ever done in an Bioware game. I found it very satisfying. It seems like it should have come with Cerberus Network.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

When they talked about injecting more humor into ME3, I was skeptical. But this works.

Edit:

Well, I played through it all, and it was amazing. To say the Shadow Broker's identity surprised me, would be an understatement. It's not hard to guess what they were trying to do when you first step into the room, but I actually found it worked.

It was actually nice having Liara back, too. Her personality got badly mangled in ME2, so I was glad to see that toned down somewhat, made into a more mature version of her own self, instead of a cold-hearted killer. At least that was my experience.

The locations were fantastic, like I already mentioned, and the same is true of the humor.

I don't know what else to say. If this is any indication of the quality we can expect from ME3, then ... well, actually, it'll be a disaster, because how is anything ever going to top that?

Edit 2:

There's so much in the dossiers of the squad members I could mention, but there's one thing I really didn't expect: Grunt reading Hemingway. Or listening to audio books. Whatever. I like the guy.

Wyrd

Haha! glad you liked it. Did you see that Legion is a hard core gamer?
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

I was up way, way too late, just reading through all those. There was a lot of good stuff.