Exalted 2nd edition Looking for a group and Storyteller.

Started by Starfall Smiting Prince, August 09, 2010, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Empyrean

Synedoche: Mind if I PM you sometime about mechanics? I'm good with fluff, not so much with mechanics you see. :) Which is why my Daybreak is taking so long BTW, Triangle.

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Empyrean on August 19, 2010, 10:15:35 PM
Synedoche: Mind if I PM you sometime about mechanics? I'm good with fluff, not so much with mechanics you see. :) Which is why my Daybreak is taking so long BTW, Triangle.
Uhh, I meant I'm bad at mechanics. I give other people XP for helping me. :P I've read, like, parts of the corebook, and now a handful of pages from Abyssals.
Send me questions if you like anyway - I might have read something about the answer. Also, I have friends I can ask!
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

The Great Triangle

Remember that the ST can also be asked about mechanics.  :-)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

The Unholy Potato

Though I'm not the ST, I'm also pretty decent with mechanics. Feel free to send me any questions.

Muse

As big of a group as this is, any chance of any other storytellers stepping up to the plate? 

I don't want triangles game to be burried under the weight of too many players. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Brandon

Well Muse I think the problem in part is there are to few experienced Storytellers. If this were a game I was familiar with like werewolf: the forsaken I might be interested but In my case I also have the Savage Isle starting up in the next week or two. Sticking me with one game to run already.

Anyway, I think whats really needed right now is people getting used to Exalted and other Storyteller games and thus gaining the valuable experience needed to run them later on. I dont even know a lot about the system or setting and I know that its a wonderful setting but one needs player experience to run it effectively. Thats what I, along with a lot of other people, lack

If you want more exalted games, well frankly the experienced guys need to step up and pull the people wanting to run Exalted into a game to teach them the ins and outs
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

The Unholy Potato

As I stated in my first post on this thread, I would be willing to run a game. This is still true, and doubly so if there's a risk that Triangle is going to be overwhelmed by the tide of players. However, I have not actually run Exalted before, and while I realize there has to be a first time for everything, I think that such a lack of direct experience could deter some players, especially given that I'm a relatively unknown quantity around here.

Having said that, I am willing to run a game if there's interest and I do understand the rules pretty decently, even if I'd need to obsessively study read up on the nuances for any potentially prickly situations. However, I'd also need to talk with any potential players about what sort of game they wanted me to run, as I don't have many big, awesome, Exalted-worthy plot lines bouncing around in my head, right now.

Hikari

Exalted is really the perfect game to run if you don't have an idea for a game.  You don't need an idea.  If your players did their job right, the characters should have tons of stuff they already want to do without having to get random offers from strange old men in taverns.  The hardest part, if anything, should be deciding whose plot hooks and goals to focus on; I know the last time I was ST for an Exalted game, I had a damned hard time squeezing any of my own plot in at all!
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

The Unholy Potato

That's a fair point, and that's largely what I meant: if I were to run a game, the goals would have to come from the players. I'd just help play the roles of everyone trying to oppose them. ::)

We should make some sort of decision, however, of whether or not I am going to run a game, and if so, who's coming with me. I'd still kinda like to play in Triangle's game, but I'd also be willing to give my spot up if we have so many players that both games would be packed.

I'd happily run a Solars game, as I'm most comfortable with them, though I lack some of the most recent books which give them even crazier stuff, or so I hear. Behind them, I think I would be capable of running a Sidereals, Dragonblooded, Abyssal, and even Godblooded/Heroic/Enlightened mortal game. I don't have the Lunars, Infernals or Fair Folk books, and while I have them on order, I don't think I'd be comfortable enough with them to give them a shot.

All in all, it depends most heavily on what everyone else wants to do.

The Great Triangle

If someone else would like to be an assistant ST in my game, I would be perfectly happy to allow it.  :-) 

There are going to be about 5-6 main players, and another 2 or 3 secondary players playing supporting roles like dragon blooded and first circle demons. 

Party splits are pretty much inevitable, and I welcome them.  XD

The first story of the game will focus on the party investigating why The Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears lost her prize warstrider, Hateful Devourer of Love, to Lookshy.  The party will be free to decide how they want to go about investigating though.  (None of the party have the leige rating to requisition an airship, so you'll all likely be either traveling through the labyrinth to get to Lookshy and the Lover's citadel, or just laboriously walking all the way there.)

Ons and Offs

Brandon

You know Potato I would love to see a good Sidereal game. The Sidereals and Yu Shan have always intruiged me but no one seems to want to run them. If scroll of the monk was included, and I could take Quicksilver hand of dreams style, I would enjoy it even more

So far Ive done Solars (My very first character and still one close to my heart is Vestin, my twilight caste healer and Ive managed to play him a few times), Dragonblooded (a nice but short war for the scarlet throne story), and I have a Lunar character playing right now.

Exalted types I havnt touched so far but want to try someday are Sidereals (obviously), Infernals, and Alchemicals
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

The Unholy Potato

I think Sidereals would be fun to run, but if I were to allow SMA... The damage those guys inflict on the already questionable game balance...? I dunno, it might be worth trying, but I fear them for good reason.

I'd also be willing to try assistant storytelling if that's preferable, but it depends on how we want to distribute the burden.

Starfall Smiting Prince

That's the only thing sidereal have that is worth mentioning in the fighting department...sidereal are considered by many the weakest celestial exalted. Raising your essence take months and your charms are so specific and cost so many motes, you will run out of them before doing anything. But then again, Sidereal are not ever supposed to be fighting people on  a fair ground, they cheat, prepare traps, etc...it's kinda like playing super spies hoping that the solar or abyssal/infernal doesn't spot you before killing you in one hit.

Brandon

Ive always seen Sidereals as Super spies and I think thats what attracts me to them. I always loved the James bond movies, no not the newer ones I mean the old James Bond movies that were actually about spies going out and using every dirty trick and gadget they could get their hands on to take down the over the top nearly invincible bad guy.

Add on supernatural martial arts to that (a concept I freaking LOOOOOOOVVVVVVE!) and Yu Shan and it seems like the coolest setting ever

Muse

Staaarfall, Potatoe, tell you guys what. 

If one of  you will run Sidereals, and one Solars, and Pumpkin and I have a shot at both games, Ssynechdoche has a shot at at leaast one, and those who didn't get into the abysals game have a shot at a slot in one of ours, I'll run a lunars plot and give you two first dibs. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Muse on August 21, 2010, 10:26:34 AM
Staaarfall, Potatoe, tell you guys what. 

If one of  you will run Sidereals, and one Solars, and Pumpkin and I have a shot at both games, Ssynechdoche has a shot at at leaast one, and those who didn't get into the abysals game have a shot at a slot in one of ours, I'll run a lunars plot and give you two first dibs.
*steals the extra letters from her name*

Um, I'm already in this game, I'm not sure I want to try another one so quickly.
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Absences and Apologies

The Unholy Potato

Admittedly, that's sort of what I was thinking, too. One other game is one thing, but I'm not sure that I'd have the time or enthusiasm for starting three or four at the same time, even if I'm merely playing in most of them. Personally, I'd be perfectly happy to wait until this first game got off the ground and then judge whether or not we need another game started.

Having said that, can I have a quick show of hands of who would be interested in a Sidereals game of some sort? And yes, I'd be willing to give SMA a chance, assuming people managed to reach the prerequisites.

Edit: Depending on how my schedule opens up, I may be interested in playing in another game, as well as trying to run one. For now, though, I'm just aiming for playing in Triangle's game and, secondarily running aforementioned Sidereals game if there's enough interest.

Starfall Smiting Prince

I would be interested in running a solars game but seem most players don't want to commit to another game too soon so we will see how it goes.
As for the sidereals game, yeah sure I'll be interested, mostly would do chosen of journeys or Serenity.

Muse

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Starfall Smiting Prince on August 22, 2010, 08:42:39 AM
I would be interested in running a solars game but seem most players don't want to commit to another game too soon so we will see how it goes.
Ok, so I think I've got this cleared up. I would be willing to play in a Solars game instead of an Abyssals game.

Absences and Apologies

Creeper

Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Brandon

Starfall Smiting Prince

Alright, estimating that we will get at least 5 solars at this rate. It's on. Just write a solar application, it will be standard character generation and would like the characters to meet in Nexus, so wherever you are from, find your character on his way there.

The Great Triangle

The OOC thread for the Abyssals game is up!  :-) 

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=79834.msg3512085#new

Assuming all goes well, I'll be posting the main game thread and starting the Abyssals game tommorow.

Ons and Offs

Muse

Quote from: Starfall Smiting Prince on August 22, 2010, 07:56:45 PM
Alright, estimating that we will get at least 5 solars at this rate. It's on. Just write a solar application, it will be standard character generation and would like the characters to meet in Nexus, so wherever you are from, find your character on his way there.

Two questions Starfall. 

Any expected levels of adult content? 

Are you using the standard merits and flaws?