Crazy Purge threats!!!!

Started by Usani, August 14, 2014, 09:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usani

There is some crazy shit going around social media since the Purge sequel came out!  Apparently there are people out there trying to actually start Purge events in certain states and cities!  It's really damn disturbing!! There are threats in Jacksonville, Kentucky, Louisville and Detroit and Ohio!  Police say they are trying to find out who started all this so they can out a stop to it.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/local/2014/08/13/jso-the-purge-social-media/14023457/

Ariel

People are incredibly weird and disturbed. o_O

Let's hope they don't actually try and do this. I actually wasn't comfortable seeing The Purge when I first heard of it because imagining a society like that is just terrifying. It's a good movie, good dystopian horror flick, but in real life? No thank you.
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Lux12

I'm not sure what I find more disturbing. The fact that they want to do this or that they totally missed the message of the films (which if it's an anti-anarchism message, shows they don't understand the philosophy of anarchism). Either way, this is utterly ridiculous to say the least. What kind of people think this is a good idea?

Usani

I completely agree with you Ariel!  As disturbing as BOTH movies were I enjoyed the plot because I mean come on it was unrealistic at least I think so it was interesting to see how people would react during something like this.  But the only type of people that I can think of that would want to REALLY do this are gangs or people that have disturbed mental problems.  :/  This shit is so fucked up and scary!  I hope a stop gets put to all this and soon!

Dingo

Maybe I'm totally weird, but I think that the scenario depicted in the last movie (can't remember if I've seen the earlier one) is completely unrealistic, the primary message, revenge solving nothing, was weak in it's portrayal. And the secondary message about the politics behind it was  was even worse.

None of these are spoilers.

And to anyone who fears situations like this, I can only offer one quote.

`When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.`
--Edmund Burke

Sabby

"The Purge works" Don't explain how, just assert it does.

Usani

Quote from: Sabby on August 15, 2014, 02:59:14 AM
"The Purge works" Don't explain how, just assert it does.

I'm sorry...what?! lol

Sabby

That's how the movie justified the Purge, it just continually claimed "The Purge works" and never explained why it works.

Usani

Quote from: Sabby on August 15, 2014, 03:50:24 AM
That's how the movie justified the Purge, it just continually claimed "The Purge works" and never explained why it works.

Oooh ok, sorry wasn't sure what you were trying to say at first lol.  Yeah it's really dumb, basically they kill the poor and the sick and all that are left are the rich but...why?

TaintedAndDelish

Unless I read that article wrong, it seemed to basically said that this was an internet rumour.  They mentioned that they interviewed a police department but were told there was no credible threat...

You would think they could come up with some more meat than that for the article if it really is a substantial threat.

Does anyone know if this is really being discussed and planned seriously or if its just scaremongering?

Jacksonville Sheriff John Rutherford caught wind of the concerns and put out a statement Wednesday evening. Rutherford said there is "no credible information to indicate that this is a legitimate threat to the city of Jacksonville."

edit: corrected a typo

Usani

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on August 15, 2014, 03:59:26 AM
Unless I read that article wrong, it seemed to basically said that this was an internet rumour.  They mentioned that they interviewed a police department but were told there was no credible threat...

You would think they could come up with some more meat than that for the article if it really is a substantial threat.

Does anyone know if this is really being discussed and planned seriously or if its just scare scaremongering?

Jacksonville Sheriff John Rutherford caught wind of the concerns and put out a statement Wednesday evening. Rutherford said there is "no credible information to indicate that this is a legitimate threat to the city of Jacksonville."

I talked about this with a friend of mine on Skype and we both believe since there is no concrete proof or evidence I'm seeing it as just a fucked up prank that's spread to certain states.

TaintedAndDelish

Well, I agree that it is kind of scary whether its real or not.  The last thing we need is some stupid idea like this to go viral.  >.<

Formless

I hate to be the one to say it.

But when some idiotic concept makes it to the big screen , there's bound to be some idiots out there who thinks its right.

Seriously , I know the movie-making scene is getting stale. But to the point where a concept like the purge surfaces , then that's just a sign of how much idiocy some people keep in store in their minds.

You may find my tone rather harsh in this post. But it is coming after watching the first movie. There's some movies that reflects the writer's incapability of creating a good plot. ( Like birdemic. ) But then there's movies that prey on the fine lines of humanity with the excuse of ' a different world'.

The plot holes , the flaws and the massive mockery of the audience was just offensive in every way.

Usani

Quote from: Formless on August 15, 2014, 07:03:41 AM
I hate to be the one to say it.

But when some idiotic concept makes it to the big screen , there's bound to be some idiots out there who thinks its right.

Seriously , I know the movie-making scene is getting stale. But to the point where a concept like the purge surfaces , then that's just a sign of how much idiocy some people keep in store in their minds.

You may find my tone rather harsh in this post. But it is coming after watching the first movie. There's some movies that reflects the writer's incapability of creating a good plot. ( Like birdemic. ) But then there's movies that prey on the fine lines of humanity with the excuse of ' a different world'.

The plot holes , the flaws and the massive mockery of the audience was just offensive in every way.

I completely agree with you!  There were many things wrong with these movies and the fact that people out there wanna try and imitate this stupidity just irritates me.

consortium11

Quote from: Formless on August 15, 2014, 07:03:41 AMSeriously , I know the movie-making scene is getting stale. But to the point where a concept like the purge surfaces , then that's just a sign of how much idiocy some people keep in store in their minds.

The concept behind the Purge is nothing new. In television/film one can point to The Return of the Archons, a 1967 Star Trek episode which included the same concept and looked at historically while there are different interpretations of what the Crypteia was, in Plutarch's reading it was that once a year the Spartan's would "declare war" on the Helots and be free to murder, abuse, steal from etc etc without consequence.

Oniya

I don't usually watch the channel, but the Nostalgia Critic said about everything about the Purge that comes to my mind.  Language is pretty NSFW, but apparently okay for kids in middle school.  (Yes, I've had to have that talk.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nBEFSOt1AE
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mathim

People like that simply lack the capacity to channel their catharsis through any other means. It's sad.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Formless

Quote from: consortium11 on August 15, 2014, 08:44:08 AM
The concept behind the Purge is nothing new. In television/film one can point to The Return of the Archons, a 1967 Star Trek episode which included the same concept and looked at historically while there are different interpretations of what the Crypteia was, in Plutarch's reading it was that once a year the Spartan's would "declare war" on the Helots and be free to murder, abuse, steal from etc etc without consequence.

The idea of the purge may not be new.

But the Movie's take on the concept seems to be conceived by a young mind that could not comprehend the structure of the concept.

First you have a world where they agreed to have said purge be done. Why would they do that? Humans has always conflicted against each others , but under the veil of nationality , religion , tribal or lineage differences. So what exactly was the cause behind establishing the rules of the purge? What people just suddenly started hating each others more than they did in the past? So I am supposed to swallow the fact that the people's hatred to one another grew to an uncontrollable degree? It seems to serves a Nihilist's mind and not a conservative mind.

Then there's the idea of people conducting their every day life , which involves having their everyday jobs , their business small or big , schools. Why would someone open up a grocery store if there will be a day when people will just steal all of the shop's stock and items? Why send your kids to school and pay for their education if they might just die at one night due to carelessness and not keeping an eye on them?

Then there's the epitome of writer's brilliance when the government's officials are not safe from the purge and whoever kills them will be dealt with accordingly. I can start with saying that unless you're an official , your life is as good as what ... a dog? And how would a government sustains a work force and a society if countless lives will be wasted in one night everyday? Death requires 5 seconds to happen. Raising another human being takes years. So ... What kind of idiot would pass a law that would crush his own nation's foundation?

These are just the simplest flaws you can see in such a movie. Looking deeper , you can see more of these flaws.

To me , it seems there was this guy who suddenly thought ' what if all crimes were legal? ' That seems the gist on which this movie was based.

Conflict

So much hate for the Purge.... yeah, it was full of plot holes, yeah, it makes no sense economically or otherwise, and oh my god "it just works" was idiotic, but I really think the movie had its merits, even if creativity or plausibility weren't one of them. Slight spoilers ahead.

Some scenes seemed very poignant to me, like the imminent rape scene by the sleazy neighbor guy. His character was done so well. Rejected, day after day, the object of his desire almost within arm's reach, passing him by like the worthless human being he is. And he knows that, and he knows he can never have her, and the way his mind twists to justify rape is so believable. He has her, he's armed, he's won, but still he feels the need to shout out to no one in particular, "It's my right! I earned it!" or something like that... still trying to justify his crime in his eyes. I don't know, but as horrific as the scene was, it was done so well.

So, while the Purge fails at being a good movie, I think it makes for a more-than-adequate thought experiment and setting for a few decent scenes.
Currently Playing: This War of Mine
Currently Reading: Robinson Crusoe

Sabby

The problem with the Purge can be demonstrated with the ending to the first movie pretty well. So, society collapses for one night, everyone 'releases the Beast' and shows everyone their darkest side. Neighbors have made it very clear that they fucking despise you and despite having never killed anyone before now have been able to group together, come into your house and attempt to murder you and your entire family.

Then it's 6am and everyone goes on living as they had 12 hours ago? No! You can't just go back like that. The curtains are drawn aside, you can't just close them and forget what you saw.

And what of people who just don't want to stop? Criminals are typically not too fond of the law, consider just how many criminals are created on Purge night, regular citizens with mental problems or violent urges who would have normally lead a productive life if the Government hadn't said "It is your duty to vent your violent urges for the good of society". Well, now that you've unleashed that Beast, have fun getting it back on the leash.

consortium11

I think the biggest flaw with the Purge as a concept for society as a whole isn't the bands of homicidal maniacs who would wander around but the host of people with access to bank accounts, corporate trading accounts etc etc who the minute crime becomes legal will engage in the world's biggest case of white collar crime.

Oniya

You mean like the home loan crisis?  *ducks*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

I'm sure if they paid any amount of time thinking about it they would have included that in the list of restrictions. No Class 4 Weapons (no idea what that is, but I'm guessing that's to stop people wheeling in missiles and eyeballing them at skyscrapers) and no attacks on Government buildings or persons. If they're going to say "Do whatever you want, but not things that can't be cleaned up in a few days" they would no doubt also go "And by the way, please don't bankrupt any of the mega corporations that our economy pretty much relies on".

Formless

Quote from: consortium11 on August 15, 2014, 06:22:43 PM
I think the biggest flaw with the Purge as a concept for society as a whole isn't the bands of homicidal maniacs who would wander around but the host of people with access to bank accounts, corporate trading accounts etc etc who the minute crime becomes legal will engage in the world's biggest case of white collar crime.

Which just proves my point. i.e. the movie was conceived by an inexperienced mind.

What really angers me about this movie is how it handles ' life ' so lightly. As if killing is the only way to cure yourself ... That's sick beyond words to describe ...

Devilyn Sydhe

First off, I have to admit I have never watched either film, but complaining about the lack of real world applications in the Purge films sounds much like wondering why those stupid counselors keep going back to summer camp or those fools don't just move out of the demon house.  These are low budget horror films there for cheap thrills and in no way should be considered real life.  Of course there are plot holes, probably at least 80% of all successful movies have them.  To the OP point, it doesn't surprise me that some would love to have a night to get even, steal what they have not worked for but still somehow claim to have entitlement.  Others very much have the belief in survival of the fittest, that only the powerful or their useful followers should have a place in society.  To really think about it, with claims of overpopulation, humanity's influence on the environment, and the belief by some in eugenics, the whole life system, and just generally that a person's worth is based solely on their value to the community, a version of the Purge might not be so far fetched afterall.