DnD 3.5 Unlimited: Legendary Monsters Recruitment part2!

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 07, 2016, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Assassin is possible PrC to take, just need take rogue levels (or cheat by using swordsage/any class to get assassin stance and then apply paragon +13 insight bonus to number of sneak attack dices and also get hide as class skill to ease entry for assassin). 8 levels as assassin gives you hide in plain sight, so nice if you got means naturally conjure darkness or shadows. To that extend shadowcasters could work pretty well in mystic side if want take shadowy assassin route as warforge (or the orcish looking hottie there, take the race from races of destiny which are cultured shadow influenced orcish looking humanoids).

Besides pic, build and such also think actual legend; story or reason why your so badass and awesome :). How you became known as legendary monster (before imprisoned Ao or through epic gambit gained transcended powers as legendary monster, one our legendary monsters got legendary by eatting elder evil and absording it's powers unto itself as means to try seal it away).

Keelan

Well, for the former robot girl I had thought perhaps making her the 'First Warforged' or 'Mother of the Warforged,' with those foolish humanoids having snatched her children from her (the Warforged race). She'd probably have 'issues' with Humans, and would treat any other Warforged as her children, wouldnt' raise a hand to them and would SLAUGHTER ALL WHO DARE HARM THEM!!! Would also likely involve Leadership, LOTS of leadership, all of them her 'children', and given that we're talking CR30 which is like approaching demigod levels I'd think it fun to have them literally worship her for what she is...

...the other Ork-lass I'm not so sure about... yet... but I'm thinking and would love feedback. Was thinking it'd be fun to find some way to make her damn-near broken while having literally no items, just having her run around naked and be like 'Epic greatsword?  Why would I use that? I'm already stronger than it!' Not sure if it's possible...

Zaer Darkwail

Well, you need develop story then why/how your a first warforged (how you were born or such). Also so far in setting warforges have no souls (they got incarnum in them but incarnum remains empty slate for them during entire life and as incarnum departs from their bodies as they finally break down for good, their memories and personalities fall to void/nothing). You could had been a 'machine goddess' but your powers diminished while Ao had kept you locked down (reason being he feared legendary monster's powers as they were unknown element to him at the time). You are in-game a CR 33 creature (SR and other stuff are counted based on your CR so set in CR is 33 in start).

What comes to orcish lass, you could go for monk (lots changes for that class) and then take mystical side a totemist levels (magic of incarnum class and has primal feel to it's use of incarnum) to get awesome boosting effects and also improve your natural attacks (which already improve overtime as monk) but incarnum stacks it up further to 'bonkers broken' levels. Or if want more 'wild and primal' you could go for barbarian, take improved unarmed strike (or multiclass to chaotic monk ACF) and take feat from tome of battle which makes your unarmed strikes improve like monk albeit with bit delay. Anycase besides that there is the exalted deeds feat which sacrifices all physical property for various buffs (and paragon +13 insight bonus can apply some of them), incarnum conjures 'items' which take item slots in your body but they do not break your oath as meldshaping (even if it's creating items) is not 'owning' them but rather forge them from soul matter and wear them and then bind them on your body.

With orcish legendary monster makes lots room for templates (albeit only one inherit and one gained) but any monster PrC's are open also for monster side (like Siren from savage species example for monster PrC). Being sort a 'primal wild nature deity' as orc makes wonder what is exact relation between you and Gruumsh. Perhaps Gruumsh's strong willed daugther who refused bow and spread legs to men like how he treated your mother perhaps?

jeflint

Just curious I've always enjoyed playing monster races in D&D 3.5 how many positions are you looking to fill?

I've always had a thing for Half Dragons, Dragons or the Erynis personally if either of those would be fit for your setting.

Jan's General Info, The F-List , On’s & Offs, absenteeism & BB Color Codes

Zaer Darkwail

Well, you get in if you get through creating the char (which is huge investment in time usually). Dragon, half-dragon or erinyes are all allowed monsters. Anything which fits in CR 13 or has 13 HD (and HD can be negotiated a bit).

jeflint

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 06, 2016, 05:04:52 AM
Well, you get in if you get through creating the char (which is huge investment in time usually). Dragon, half-dragon or erinyes are all allowed monsters. Anything which fits in CR 13 or has 13 HD (and HD can be negotiated a bit).

Consider it done. ;) is there a preference you have in your game for any of those three? I saw the recruitment thread but didn't read everything as I was pressed for time before I went to the gym.

I love rolling D&D characters. :)

Zaer Darkwail

Well, we got a full dragon already and half-dragon template in two chars, so erinyes would bring variety. Anycase I sort made complete chargen rule thread in here, did not expect it so soon to find use besides reference :P.

jeflint

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 06, 2016, 07:50:11 AM
Well, we got a full dragon already and half-dragon template in two chars, so erinyes would bring variety. Anycase I sort made complete chargen rule thread in here, did not expect it so soon to find use besides reference :P.

Devil it is. ;) I'll read that thread in detail later today. :)

Kunoichi

Quote from: Keelan on March 23, 2016, 06:38:03 AM
Well, for the former robot girl I had thought perhaps making her the 'First Warforged' or 'Mother of the Warforged,' with those foolish humanoids having snatched her children from her (the Warforged race). She'd probably have 'issues' with Humans, and would treat any other Warforged as her children, wouldnt' raise a hand to them and would SLAUGHTER ALL WHO DARE HARM THEM!!! Would also likely involve Leadership, LOTS of leadership, all of them her 'children', and given that we're talking CR30 which is like approaching demigod levels I'd think it fun to have them literally worship her for what she is...

There is also the option of picking some other, more powerful type of construct for your base creature and using one of those templates that gives you the living construct subtype.  That could be a fun mechanical way to realize your character concept. ^^

...the other Ork-lass I'm not so sure about... yet... but I'm thinking and would love feedback. Was thinking it'd be fun to find some way to make her damn-near broken while having literally no items, just having her run around naked and be like 'Epic greatsword?  Why would I use that? I'm already stronger than it!' Not sure if it's possible...

Well, there are certainly options for being able to run around without needing any weapons, at least.  Armor and other items would be a bit more tricky, though.

Keelan

Quote from: Kunoichi on April 06, 2016, 04:21:48 PM
There is also the option of picking some other, more powerful type of construct for your base creature and using one of those templates that gives you the living construct subtype.  That could be a fun mechanical way to realize your character concept. ^^

Well, there are certainly options for being able to run around without needing any weapons, at least.  Armor and other items would be a bit more tricky, though.

How would I pull that off on the former?

Also, for the latter: well, to be fair AC matters FAR less at this level of play than Will and Fort saves (SoD or SoS spells), so I could in theory slack on that bit if I find a way to REALLY ramp up those through borderline cheese...

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Keelan on April 08, 2016, 06:32:55 PM

Also, for the latter: well, to be fair AC matters FAR less at this level of play than Will and Fort saves (SoD or SoS spells), so I could in theory slack on that bit if I find a way to REALLY ramp up those through borderline cheese...

Though if you're not packing multiply redundant protections/immunities against death and mind-effecting effects at this level of play, you're in serious trouble anyways. AC should only be neglected in favor of defensive stuff like miss chances or immunities, because you're very, very unlikely to be able to one-shot anything you meet.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Keelan on April 08, 2016, 06:32:55 PM

The Soulfused Construct template in Magic of Incarnum.  +1 LA, and it turns any mindless construct into a living construct with Int 3 (which will then get bumped up to 28, thanks to the Paragon Creature template).  There's a full list of golems published in D&D 3.5 on the Wikipedia page for golems, and looking through some of them now, it looks like there are quite a few with some rather interesting abilities that could be useful, in addition to the typical golem magic immunity. ^^

As Glyph has said, the big trick for going without items at this level of play is going to be picking up all sorts of immunities to various things, as well as flight and true seeing and things like that.  This would most likely be easiest to accomplish through racial choices, though the rest of your build can also definitely help.

Keelan

Hm... leaning more towards the Ork girl at this point; Daughter of Gruumsh makes for an interesting base idea... Alu-Demon would explain whom her mother is or something like that >.>

Only because the Golems have a lot of HD, and IIRC with the triple-gestalt it'd be better for me to get LA since the HD won't benefit me with levels/hp/BAB/Saves/ETC...

That and the Warforged Charger (another option) unfortunately gets a tanked Charisma by A LOT, and since Leadership will be a thing...

Keelan

Additional Question: is it possible to be both a Half-Dragon and a Natural Lycanthrope? I'm thinking 'Werebear fucked a Dragon' here for birthright...

...yes the operating title for this idea is Dovahbear >.>

Kunoichi

You have to take an inherited template and an acquired one, so I don't think it would work out.  You'd get the half-dragon template applied first, and with the dragon type you pick up from that, you wouldn't be eligible for the lycanthrope template.

You could be a natural lycanthrope and then tack on the Saint template (or an alignment-flipped Evil version of said template) to get some pseudo-divine abilities for a hypothetical Daughter of Gruumsh, though.  Holy Power being a special attack also means that you'd be able to use it to get a free +15 to all save DCs, and it would give you some nice immunities, too.

I wonder if there would be some way to get the Orc Blood special quality through a feat or something along those lines?  If there is, that could open up quite a few different ways to bring your basic character concept to life...

Keelan

I was thinking the two on a base of Ork for the +28 Str in Hybrid form... and a bear-dragon Hybrid form >.>

But your idea is good too :3

Kunoichi

If you've got Races of Faerun, the Orog (Deep Orc) gets a +6 racial Strength bonus and a +2 Charisma bonus in exchange for merely taking a -2 to Dexterity and Wisdom.  That should help make up at least a bit for the loss of that big +8 Strength bonus from the Half-Dragon template, I think. ^^

Races of Faerun also has the Orc Warlord prestige class, if that looks like something that could be fun.  It's all about amassing a massive orcish warhorde via the Leadership feat.

Zaer Darkwail

Plus able make your orcish minions to enraged state around you which is a plus. But then same can be done with frenzied berserker after certain level cap in PrC.

Also true that half-dragon is inherited but it also can be gained (dragon disciple example), so if you have nice cool fluff explaining how you got dragon powers, I can allow it. Other hand natural lycantrophe I would rule only for those 'born with it'.

Keelan

Ooh, I did not have RoF... I have managed to acquire the necessary info however >.>

But yeah, totally a good option on that! LA2... and Natural werebear is LA+3 and 6HD (I think, so that's 11... Saint is 2 right? Just gotta reskin to 'evil'...

And sadly the Orc Warlord requires Rage, which doesn't fit really with how I'm imagining her as a LE character (Werebears are LG inclined, Gruumsh is CE, figured that'd make an interesting mix)...

Also for Zaer: Swordsage has a suggestion on page 20 of ToB to make it have Monk Unarmed progression and stuff... would that include the AC bonuses as well?  What about the movement speed enhancement? I'm debating between that and Monk, honestly.... and do the Paladin variants count as 'Magic' progression? Replace with Ranger or etc... Paladin works off Cha IIRC and I'm gonna be doing Leadership so...

Sain

The non spell casting variants can be put into martial side. I don't think swordsages get any monk abilities.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Keelan

It mentions giving the option to give them the damage progression and removing the armor ability on page 20 of ToB, but I was wondering if Zaer would be willing to include the movement and the slight bonus to AC with levels into it as well. It's one of those 'if the DM allows it' sort of deals even in the ToB ^_^

TheGlyphstone

Just buy a Monk's Belt, and you'll get those bonuses without the need for a GM special call.

Zaer Darkwail

Swordsages get unarmed progression of a monk if they sacrifice their armor profiency, nothing else. So no unarmored speed bonus or slow fall or anything else. They get to add wisdom to their AC as usual after 2th level but it does not get improved (but if they get monk unarmed strike progression they could help qualify for some monk related feats and benefit from them, like ascetic mage example or sexy kung-fu custom feat which converts wisdom bonus into charisma for source of AC bonus).

Keelan

OOh, that custom feat might be a good idea... is there a Feat to use Cha for attack too? And damage? It's been a LONG time since I looked at 3.5 sadly : P

Zaer Darkwail

No feat transport Cha to attack or dmg directly, albeit there is magic item with charges which allowed to do so I think.