Intrique, War and shameless Game of Thrones ripoff fantasy game (5th DnD)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, April 23, 2016, 08:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

"Have you ever seen the Iron Throne? The barbs along the back, the ribbons of twisted steel, the jagged ends of swords and knives all tangled up and melted? It is not a comfortable seat, ser. Aerys cut himself so often men took to calling him King Scab, and Maegor the Cruel was murdered in that chair. By that chair, to hear some tell it. It is not a seat where a man can rest at ease. Ofttimes I wonder why my brothers wanted it so desperately."
-  Stannis Baratheon

This is for now interest check for a Game of Thrones based high fantasy game, not recruitment. I start full official recruit thread later if there is interest shown (posted by potential players) in here as there is lots work and effort to do to change/turn a setting like Westeros to more traditional fantasy feel where is dwarves, elves and most of all magic and magic items. Game system used would be 5th edition and I would create custom game based archtypes (like ranger of night watch) for every class (at least one every class is intent). The ideas and scale of NPC's would b similar as presented in dragon magazine issue 307.

Now main question is; would folks prefer game based on intrique (and focus more on events around King's Landing and also coming war between south and north) or more based on at the Wall? Or something else entirely? Idea is though timeline used would be based on the TV show and the books and PC's are given chance to change/influence history (there is potential if PC's attend Red Wedding then Robb Stark and his bride could survive or one of the two if PC's can manage overcome overwhelming odds).

Zaer Darkwail

*pokes thread so folks can keep seeing this and give chance to post interest in the thread*

Hobbes1266

I would be interested though I don't have a character in mind. I wouldn't be interested in having it follow the same plot and characters as the show or book.

Kolbrandr

QuoteThe ideas and scale of NPC's would b similar as presented in dragon magazine issue 307.

That article had various major name characters coming in at levels 9-14 (the Hound, Stannis, Melisandre, Tyrion), even Jon was 5th level or such as I recall, what levels would you see for the players by comparison? If we're intended to screw around with the setting and characters in it, altered to being more fantastical or otherwise, I'd prefer somewhere at least post 5th.

I suppose my interest is otherwise pending, forthrightly stated, that while the means for doing so are certainly well less in 5e than 3.5, how much min/maxing you intend to let slide in this one and to what degree.

Otherwise as far as campaign premise, the Wall is pretty narrow for concepts and plotlines, I'd prefer something more open focus. 

Zaer Darkwail

I intent players not be 'newbies' so very least 3th level minimum is starting range. Also the 5th level Jon is more after his time after he arrived to the Wall (but before the big battle so somewhere between arrival and getting captured other side of the wall). But it depends on players and interest given really.

Hobbes1266

Would there be any use for non combat characters or will it be highly combat focused?

Zaer Darkwail

It depends what sort game foci will be. If folks want play game based on north/Wall, then combat is more focused on. While in King's Landing the chars which focus less on combat are more useful and combat is less focused on (and combat if any is subtle cloak and dagger sort of deal). But if events go like in novels/series, there will be the war between king of the north and the south.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 25, 2016, 01:38:01 PM
I intent players not be 'newbies' so very least 3th level minimum is starting range. Also the 5th level Jon is more after his time after he arrived to the Wall (but before the big battle so somewhere between arrival and getting captured other side of the wall). But it depends on players and interest given really.

I'm just noting that if you're using that article for your standard, various figures and chunks of the setting are things lower level characters wouldn't really touch. Especially at third level and particularly given the rate of pbp. I suppose it depends on what you see the players doing.

Zaer Darkwail

Idea is more that players are experienced (as compare rest population) but not big game makers yet. They are bannermen of the lords example but not lords themselves. Fresh recruits to night watch are 3th level (or soon are). Also I do intent for rapid XP gain based on RL time (like every week you get XP besides stuff IC posts). However if majority players want start higher I can start higher (example 5th level or even go 10th level if all players want play as lords of their own noble houses).

WhatLiesAbove

Zaer Darkwail

It's possible. Depending on interest of the players and what they want to play (and where).

Lockepick

Posting a general interest. As you've seen, there are a lot of questions given that there is a lot of options that fall under the blanket of 'Game of Thrones setting' -- the answer to which is unlikely to effect my interest, since you've already stated we'll start at Level 3+.

Happy to offer more input on what sorts of locations/power levels I'd be interested to play in if we get past the interest stage.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, now is time and place to tell what interests you the most lockepick :). As when I make recruit thread it will have specific layout (tell where players start, what level, chargen etc). In case if folks did not realize I do intent to play setting more fantasy in tone (as there will be other races than humans in Westeros) and also to avoid too many house rulings I allow there is more magic in the setting but make it overall rare thing (as magic items too). But overall example PC sorceress is rare prodigy in Westeros for having innate ability to cast magic (or be bard able cast magic is counted have mastered ancient bardic secrets etc and not every performer is a bard).

Primarch

I would be very interested in a 5th edition D&D game with the King's Landing story, the Wall/beyond the Wall not so much.

Hobbes1266

Quote from: Primarch on April 26, 2016, 01:52:55 PM
I would be very interested in a 5th edition D&D game with the King's Landing story, the Wall/beyond the Wall not so much.
That would be my preference as well.

TheHangedOne

I'm interested, though honestly, I'd be curious about playing as either Stark bannermen, or as a tribe of wildlings (or something similar).
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

subboi

I love Game of Thrones, I would like to do this although I'm not very good at DnD.

I would like to serve the rightful King, Stannis Baratheon, and to bring justice to all the traitors of Westeros. King's Landing needs to be swept clean of trash, starting with those incestuous Lannister bastards.

Zaer Darkwail

Thank you all for showing interest, there was plenty enough of it! So thus I started a actual recruitment thread for 5th edition DnD Game of Thrones game. As noted game will be more fantasy based but the intrique and set up otherwise is similar. Magic is something rare but not so rare as in canon setting but magic items are rare (as it's in regular DnD in 5th edition for my experience so far). Time was taken in thinking and adding lots custom stuff for 5th DnD rules.

Anycase for popular demand the game will focus on King's Landing and war between nobles for PC's perspective. At least starting setup.