Obama is the Antichrist?

Started by gaggedLouise, May 07, 2011, 05:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterMischief

I can not help but think the Anti-Christ, along with the end of the world, was more of a tool to get butts in pews.

Noelle

The Antichrist/Rapture: For when burning eternally just isn't scary enough!

rick957

It's not possible to heap enough scorn and abuse upon the heads of Christians for all the atrocities and idiocies perpetrated by Christians, both historically-speaking, and every day in the world around us.  (Full disclosure -- I happen to be a Christian.)

Having said that, the measure of any community's tolerance and openness lies in how its minorities are treated.  At Elliquiy, people who openly profess to be Christians, Republicans, or conservatives are in the minority.  (I don't know if those kinds of people are actually in the minority or not, but the ones who openly profess to be one of those people are definitely in the minority, I think.)  If one of those people feels they've been mistreated or discriminated against, whether they have been or not, it ought to be looked at and taken seriously by other people who care about the community, because that's a direct measure of how tolerant and sensitive the community is to the treatment of its minorities.

So for what it's worth, Brandon, if you're still reading this thread, I'm glad you post to these boards and occasionally voice dissenting views, and I think it's a shame if your religious views are discriminated against around here, in any way.  To be frank, I have not read this particular thread closely enough to say whether or not there's been any misbehavior by anyone in this thread, although I have seen a few instances (however rare) of insensitive remarks directed towards certain minorities at Elliquiy.

Belle33

Obama is not the antichrist.   If anyone is the antichrist, I'm pretty sure it's Steve Jobs.

World Leader - check
Reigns for 3 years - when was the iPad launched?
Able to perform miracles - there's an app for that - check
Powers from Satan - check
No one can buy or sell anything without his mark - we're getting there

Seriously (sort of), if people would stop accusing every political leader who happens to have different views than they have of being the antichrist, it would make it a lot easier to identify the antichrist when/if he ever does arrive.  Maybe satan has put these false profits in our midsts for just such a reason. 

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

Oniya

Quote from: Belle33 on May 17, 2011, 09:57:37 PM
Maybe Satan has put these false prophets in our midst for just such a reason. 

That would account for the idea that no one is supposed to be able to decipher the predictions.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MasterMischief

Quote from: Belle33 on May 17, 2011, 09:57:37 PM
Seriously (sort of), if people would stop accusing every political leader who happens to have different views than they have of being the antichrist, it would make it a lot easier to identify the antichrist when/if he ever does arrive.

Both parties are plenty guilty of mud slinging, but I think only one is guilty of bandying about the anti-Christ term.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: MasterMischief on May 18, 2011, 07:56:14 AM
Both parties are plenty guilty of mud slinging, but I think only one is guilty of bandying about the anti-Christ term.

One faction of one party, at least. It's been thrown at candidates from their own 'party' who they didn't think were sufficiently reactionary to their own version of the party line, so tarring that entire party with the same brush just helps perpetuate the issue to a degree.

MasterMischief

This line of reasoning probably deserves its own thread, but how large of a population do you need before you can tar an entire group?  We are all individuals, so it is easy to say, "I am part of group X and I never did Y, so you can not say group X does Y."

I am not saying that is or is not the case here.  But at some point, does the group need to take responsibility for the actions of its members?

Oniya

I'd put the standard fairly high - like 97.5%  This number is not completely random, but the amount of a population excluding the 'top' tail above 2 standard deviations from the norm. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

MasterMischief

At the risk of invoking Godwin and purely as a matter of academic exercise, could you demonstrate that 97.5% of Nazis were Jew hating child killers?  That seems impractically difficult.  You would have to first agree on what exactly a Nazi is and if a Nazi were given the opportunity to defend themselves, that definition would slide all over the place.

Should we lay off on all the hateful speech directed at such a misunderstood people?

Oniya

It would be more appropriate to level that blame at the leadership of the country (and I'd wager that the 97.5% figure would fit that subgroup quite easily), rather than the members of a political party - which happened to be the only allowed political party at the time.

ReanimateMagnus

I'm sorry but this whole Obama is the Antichrist is kinda silly in my eyes. I mean the same could be said about Bush and probably will be said about the next president.

MasterMischief

Quote from: ReanimateMagnus on May 18, 2011, 07:02:25 PM
I'm sorry but this whole Obama is the Antichrist is kinda silly in my eyes. I mean the same could be said about Bush and probably will be said about the next president.

Nah, Trump dropped out.

I kiid!  I kiid!