Pathfinder: Adventurers Welcome (Recruiting)

Started by kckolbe, September 30, 2013, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

Are you down on your luck?  Are you an adult with no apprenticeship?  Are you just looking for an exciting life?  The Varisian Colonist's Guild wants you!  Here at the guild, you can learn the basics of combat, spellcasting, crafting, and performing.  You can travel to different nations and colonies, and explore uncharted areas.  We will train you and equip you with all the gear you need to be a successful adventurer and businessman, all for free!  All we require is that each recruit complete three missions, all of which you'll be paid for!  After that, the training and gear is yours to keep.

Adventurers Welcome is a Pathfinder game set in a modified Golarion.  PCs will be members of the guild (though not all need be adventurers, more on that below).  The guild performs tasks for primarily unaligned cities and towns, though occasionally even other nations.  PCs will be given varying levels of leeway as to how these missions are accomplished, and observant players will notice opportunities to get involved in the world separate from missions.  As the game progresses, missions will (ideally) slowly take a backseat to player initiatives.

PCs may choose to play as either adventurers or staff. 
Adventurers are 1st level characters built with 25 points and 0 gold (gear packages will be provided).  Adventurers may sign up for missions with no restrictions and advance using the fast xp progression.
Staff characters begin at 4th level, built with 20 points and beginning with 3,000 gold.  They may not sign up for missions without special approval, which will be rare, though can be called on to help out with an ongoing mission that is proving too difficult.  Staff progress using medium xp rules.

Other special rules:
All PCs and guild NPCs receive 1 free skill point when leveling in their favored class.  This skill point must be spent on craft, perform, or profession. 
PCs will start with one trait, but may receive extra based on how much I like the character concept.
"Common" does not exist as a language.  In addition to languages for the different races, humans have multiple languages (which will be covered later).
Custom races are allowed, though nothing that would require an ECL adjustment.  Players are encouraged to keep their characters not only humanoid, but fitting for civilized society.  I will allow some exotic characters, but the majority will be ordinary.
I have re-worked crafting rules to make crafting arms and armor more beneficial past the early levels.  Details will be posted later once game threads are set up.  To summarize, skilled crafters can make higher levels of masterwork items.

I will be the primary GM, and amol will be playing multiple NPCs.  I am in the market for someone else to assist as GM, particularly with maps, as that is a weakness of mine, and maps are rather important on most pathfinder modules.  Players who assist in GMing will, of course, be given priority for having their character selected.

As you may have guessed, this will not be first come, first serve.  I am currently looking to take on about 8 players, willing and hoping to increase that number should I get a bit more help GMing.

Current applications
kckolbe, Guildmaster: Human Alchemist (Preserver) 4, Fighter (Lore Warden) 2, Student of War 2, male
amol, Guildmaster: Half Elf Oracle 8, female

Blinkin, Adventurer: Human Rogue (Swashbuckler), female
Luna, Adventurer: Human Oracle (No Archetype), female
Muse, Adventurer: Human Fighter (Crossbowman), female
EndofDivine, Adventurer: Aasimar Paladin (Warrior of Holy Light), female
FinnMacKenna, Adventurer: Half Drow Bard (No Archetype), female
Phaia, Adventurer: Half Elf Monk (Four Winds), female

Ebb, Adventurer: Half Orc Paladin (Redeemer), male
Countdown0, Adventurer: Half Elf Wizard (Universalist), male
Faolchu, Adventurer: Human Cleric (No Archetype), male
Ghostweel, Adventurer: Half Drow Summoner, male
lockepicke, Adventurer: Imbued Human Spellthief (No Archetype), male
Anon315, Adventurer: Underhuman Witch, male

Zaer Darkwail, Staff: Aasimar Bard (Archivist), male

Other players have expressed interest, but these are the only finalized concepts so far.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Teo Torriatte

I would like to play an Oracle... her family maintains a nearby shrine but due to dwindling donations, she has applied to join the guild as an adventurer.

Blinkin

Tari Gravante, 1st Level Swashbuckler (Rogue Archetype)

Personality: Tari is a fascinating blend of outrageous flirt and bold, even reckless seriousness. If you’re a friend, you’re a friend for life and none other will be as loyal as she will. If you are an enemy… well… no one will be as loyal to the cause of getting even either. If you’re fun, you’ll get a time that you’ll never forget. In spite of her conflicting personality traits, she holds a set of morals and principles that can be absolutely depended on to hold true… exactly what those are may sometimes be in question, but never that she’ll follow them. She has a mischievous streak a league wide and a love of anything the least bit exciting and new… this can range from a new place to a new man (or woman) for a night of wenching and drinking… Hey, women can wench; they just call it something different! When the times call for seriousness, however, her mind is focused on whatever needs to be done and although she may trade witty comments and barbs with the opponent, she never forgets that it’s life and death… and she intends for her and hers to walk away with the life category. Often sweet and funny, she’ll happily sit down with the same “bad guy” for a civil conversation at a tavern simply because it’s the civilized thing to do and good conversation is good conversation… as long as the rules of courtesy are obeyed. Then, the next morning, do her best to best said bad-guy with her blades… unless the point of the fight isn’t to kill each other, but she’ll fight just as hard all the same… If you want to beat her, you’re going to have to work for it!

Background: Tari is the youngest daughter of Baron Phenael Gravante, and admittedly, the apple of his eye. Even though she continues to disobey him and avoid suitor after suitor with some skill, she knows that  in the end, she will not inherit and if she doesn't want to become some old man's political spouse, she'll have to make her own way; her own career.

Tari, following the example of her 4 older brothers, gravitated to the ways of the warrior and her fascination with the blade has led her to no small amount of trouble. Because she is a woman, she has had to pursue an unorthodox method of training. When her father’s Man-at-arms refused to teach her, she went out on her own and discovered an old rogue who, for a price that should be kept out of polite company, taught her the ways of light blades and speed, of movement and stealth when many of her opponents will be larger and stronger than she is… to face anger with a sort of glee that is shown in the way that the tongue can taunt and tempt the enemy to act without thought… where her own body might be a lure to act without wisdom… to be bold and wait for the subtle moments. Along with the sword play, she learned much about the underside of the world and while she would never be a thief, she is aware of that profession and may have some small talent in going places that she shouldn’t.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

atenai

Can I make an adventurer and a staff member? I can't make up my mind which I'd prefer. I certainly would enjoy the RP aspects of the staff member interacting with everyone who comes through...

PC ideas to come.
~Atenai

IRL Status: Offline. On hiatus.

Atenai's Addictions (O/Os & Ideas), Requests, and Apologies [NEW! 17 Jun '23]
Elluiki User Page (Bio, Stories Old and New)   "Fucking insatiable, teasing brat."

kckolbe

Glad to see some concepts coming in already.  Atenai, I would like to limit all non-GMs to one character for now.  Depending on how many applications we get for different roles, I might open it up later, though.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

atenai

Alright, I'll have to think about it, then. Will the staff really use mechanics, much, or will they be more of an RP-only presence for in between missions? I'm just wondering what the functional difference will be, besides hanging around "back home".
~Atenai

Elluiki User Page (Bio, Stories Old and New)   "Fucking insatiable, teasing brat."

Ershin

I'm trying to narrow down my choices at the minute for who I would want to play, I've been considering a couple of different backgrounds, but I'm not sure if the classes I've chosen for these people in my head would be permitted, such as a Summoner with the Synthesist archetype (which is a class banned in official Pathfinder Society games) or a Gunslinger (as I'm not certain on whether or not firearms are permitted in this setting). If all else fails, maybe I could resurrect an old Magus concept~

May I also ask if this isn't first come first serve, do you have a date in mind for when applications might close?

Faolchu

I've got some ideas, but a quick question first: are you allowing Harrow decks and the Harrower prestige class?
Sir, remember your course correction?
No.
We'll it's proving somewhat more suicidal than we initially hoped for.

Ghostwheel

Ness

Simply known as Ness, the half-elf's beginning is one that started deep underground in the tunnels and caverns below the surface world. There the drow work tirelessly to advance their evil goals, always attempting to subvert other races to their cause as slaves and servitors, destroying anything different and even dragging people alive and screaming down into their tunnels, ready to visit terrible torture and eventual destruction upon their hapless victims. It was into this society that Ness was born, the product of the unwilling union between a drow matriarch and a human slave. It was bad enough to be born half a drow into the foul society, even worse that he was a throwback, light-skinned with only white hair the color sometimes of light ash, and other times of snow, to mark his dark heritage.

It's a wonder that he lasted more than a few years, thanks in part to the time he spent hidden within his mother's library, delving into books far beyond his learning. It was through these that one day he learned his first binding, bringing an otherworldly being into this world. He'd read he needed to sacrifice something, and unthinkingly he cut his finger, sacrificing a piece of himself to the beast. This act bound the creature to him, yet this bond also affected it, causing it to be far weaker than it had been in the past. It raged at the injustice, but now its fate had been indelibly tied to Ness's, and found it supremely difficult to resist the child's demands, forced to protect him from his peers.

Ness was always seen as an outsider by the Drow community, not only being half-drow, but also pale-skinned like a surface elf. It was years later when he'd finally had enough that he left for the surface to find his own way in the world, carrying with him the baggage of his past and a twisted personality from having grown up in Drow society.

Character Sheet
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Summoner 1
Size: Medium
Alignment: Neutral

Abilities:
Strength 7 (-2)
Dexterity 12 (+1)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 20 (+5)

HP: 8/8
AC: 11 (Touch 11, Flat-Footed 10)
CMB: -2
CMD: 9
Initiative: +1

Saves:
Fortitude +2
Reflex +1
Will +2

Miscellaneous:
+2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.

Attacks:

Spells:
Level 0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic
Level 1 (3/day): Infernal Healing, Mage Armor

Feats:
Skill Focus (Knowledge: Arcana)
Spell Focus (Conjuration)

Skills:
Bluff +7
Craft (Bow) +6
Diplomacy +6
Intimidate +6
Knowledge (Arcana) +9
Sense Motive +1

Class Features:
Cantrips
Eidolon
Life Link
Summon Monster I (8/day)

Racial Features:
Adaptability
Arcane Training (Summoner)
Drow Blooded - Darkvision 60', Light Sensitivity
Elf Blood
Elven Immunities
Wary

Traits:

Drawback:

Possessions:

Currency:

Eidolon:
Biped Eidolon
Evolution Points: 3
Medium Outsider
AC 13, TAC 11, FFAC 12
HP: 11
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +2
Speed: 30'
Full attack: Claw/Claw +6 (1d4+4, 20/x2), Bite +6 (1d6+6)
Standard attack: Bite +6 (1d6+6, 20/x2)
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11
BAB +1, CMB +5, CMD 16
Feats: Point Blank Shot
Skills: Fly +5, Perception +4, Sense Motive +4, Stealth +5
Special Qualities: Darkvision, Link, Share Spells
Evolutions: Claws - Free, Limbs (Arms) - Free, Limbs (Legs) - Free, Ability Increase (Str) - 2, Bite - 1

Ebb

I'd be interested in giving this a shot. My character idea is a half-orc paladin, assuming that's not too exotic. I'm looking at the Redeemer archetype. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/half-orc/redeemer-paladin-half-orc)

Here's some background:

Bertram, 1st level Half-Orc (City-raised) Paladin (Redeemer)

Abandoned as an infant to the care of an isolated and impoverished human monastery, Bertram was raised steeped in religious principles. As he grew he tended the monastery's flocks of sheep, while learning to read, write and pray. All of his life he has yearned to serve the church, and his natural orcish physique eventually prompted him to take up arms as a paladin. Sadly he has been rejected by every holy order of knights he has approached, and so has vowed to strike off on his own. He strives to be an exemplar of service to his god, Iomedae, in the hopes that one day an established order may recognize him for his prowess with arms and his mercy toward his foes, and make him a true knight. In the meantime he will simply continue to serve Her with all of his might.

Bertram commonly wears a full-face helm or, failing that, a sack with eyeholes over his head. If asked he will claim that this is due to a knightly vow of humility, but in fact it is mostly to avoid problems interacting with humans. He speaks little, especially if he has companions who will do the speaking for him, but cannot hold his tongue when he sees injustice being done.

All in all Bertram is honorable and well-meaning, but perhaps a bit too thick and naive to really be trusted on his own. He believes that all creatures are inherently good, even those, like him, who wear monstrous faces. He has been known to preach to fallen foes rather than kill them, though after an hour or so some might prefer the sweet embrace of death.

Betram does not drink or swear, considering these acts to be unclean. The jury's still out on sexual congress; he hasn't had much opportunity to resist that particular sin.

kckolbe

Staff vs Adventurers:  Staff will undoubtedly spend the majority of their time solely engaged in RP-only activities, and the majority of their rolls will be things like crafting or casting healing spells (as applicable).  However, there exists the possibility for them to end up on missions as well as the decision to become adventurers again down the road (basically after all adventurer PCs have had the chance to complete a mission), so I figured I should put rules in place for them up front.  Also, staff progress using medium xp progression as opposed to fast, which I seemingly forgot in the first post.  I'll add that in.

I've received a lot of questions regarding "questionable" classes here and in PM, both third party and even some from within paizo that have "bad reputations."  After giving it some minor thought, my answer is yes, though I will nerf these submitted classes (if the character is chosen) before playing to avoid regretting them.  Cuts will be arbitrary (as some classes may appear stronger to me than others), and I will listen to the opinions of other players, but I want to make sure that any 3rd party or potentially overpowered classes are being chosen for the right reasons.

I've seen more than one pathfinder game turn into an arms race, where players kept requesting class conversions and outside rules until the game was no fun as player or GM. 

Faolchu, I am not actually familiar with the rules for those.  Mind linking them to me?

Intro Thread

Blinkin

Question on traits... will you allow a drawback?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Countdown0

Cadrim, 1st Level Half-Elf Wizard (Universalist)

Growing up as the only half-elf in a poor neighborhood, surrounded by humans, Cadrim was the victim of plenty of jokes, pranks and ridicule. At a young age, he had already chosen to isolate himself when the opportunity was present. Instead of trying to make friends and risk the mocking that would come from being of mixed blood, he focused on things that interested him. Naturally smart and inquisitive, there were plenty of subjects that he was drawn to, but nothing captured his imagination more than magic did. He read whatever he could about magic, whether it was factual or not, and when he couldn't find anything more, he would run off during the day and try to steal from wizard shops to give himself more to study. Still, he wasn't satisfied, and as a young teenager, he spent his time practically begging the various wizards who lived in the city to take him on as an apprentice. It failed and failed until, one day, he met a mage who recognized his intelligence and his determination as two things that he, himself, was gifted with when himself began training in the arcane arts.

This mage, a man name Rorimen, started Cadrim's training within a week. Since then, Cadrim has trained day and night, practicing his magical arts and putting them to use at every opportunity. He even returned to the neighborhood that he lived in as a young boy, and spotted a couple of the humans who had antagonized him when he was younger. He used some of his spells to antagonize them for a while, and of course, wore only normal clothing so that they never expected that it was him. After causing the rest of the neighborhood to think these people to be crazed, Cadrim left, smiling.

Magic has become Cadrim's life. It is the one thing that makes him feel like all the cruel things that were said to him and were done to him as a child were unjustified. Because he is gifted in magical arts, he must be superior. It is only logical. Even Kings cannot conjure fire from their hands or summon an extraplanar creature out of thin air. He no longer has a need for Rorimen's training, and seeks to gain power on his own. Immortality, the ability to destroy entire continents, or even ascend to godhood. Cadrim's own expectations for his own potential are ever rising, and he has no use for anyone who cannot, in some way, aid him in gaining power.

Cadrim is joining the guild to start making some money, with which to fund his own efforts to looks for ways to expand his own power, as well as to test himself to where he is right now, and to find out what more he needs to do to make himself a mighty wizard. In the process, he may try to make a few contacts with people who could prove useful, for one reason or another. His motivation to join the guild is, for lack of a better term, rather selfish. But still, as a guild member, he would be loyal, as long as being part of the guild served his purpose. His selection of spells is more suited for active missions, rather than for any sort of diplomacy or conversation. That said, a wizard's magic can certainly be intimidating to some. Cadrim prides himself on being a universalist, studying all kinds that he can, so he definitely would, if necessary, prepare and learn spells for the sake of a diplomatic mission, if it were required of him. That being said, he's will always be partial to laying waste to enemies, or some other rigorous test of his power.
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Zaer Darkwail

I voice interest to be in game as well, probably roll a Staff member who works as mentor/tutor figure until he gets to go missions also. Not sure of class but so far had thought about being a bard (as they are best 'generalist' and have nice knowledge rolls overall).

Faolchu

Quote from: kckolbe on September 30, 2013, 05:07:33 PM

Faolchu, I am not actually familiar with the rules for those.  Mind linking them to me?

Unfortunately, the rules for the Harrow deck aren't in the PRD on Paizo's site. The rules for the Harrower and associated feats are in the Inner Sea World Guide. I have all the rules, but I think it might be a bit more complex than could be workable for this game. I have plenty of other ideas, though :)
No.

Ebb

Quote from: Faolchu on September 30, 2013, 07:04:31 PM
Unfortunately, the rules for the Harrow deck aren't in the PRD on Paizo's site. The rules for the Harrower and associated feats are in the Inner Sea World Guide. I have all the rules, but I think it might be a bit more complex than could be workable for this game. I have plenty of other ideas, though :)

Looks like most of the rules are here:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/harrower

Also looks like it doesn't kick in until 5th level at the earliest, so nothing immediately necessary anyway.

Faolchu

Quote from: Ebb on September 30, 2013, 07:07:56 PM
Looks like most of the rules are here:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/harrower

Also looks like it doesn't kick in until 5th level at the earliest, so nothing immediately necessary anyway.

Thanks for that. I did a search on the PRD, but couldn't find an entry for Harrower.

The basics are that you need to have a Harrow deck on hand, because it requires card draws for some of the special abilities. Also, the Harrowing Feat can be taken at 1st level, so the card drawing mechanic would kick in from the start. If the GM's are okay with that, I'd be happy to play one.
No.

bigwad73

Trazinian, 4th level Wizard (universalist)  Staff

Traz is a very studious fellow.  He claims to know something about most fields of knowledge, specializing in arcane pursuits and alchemy.  He's from a craftsman family in a small village in Varisia, and his training had been as an apprentice to a trio of mages that explored ruins and underground complexes. Eventually, he struck out on his own, but he discovered that he's not really cut out to do heavy duty dungeon crawling.

So, instead, he provides his knowledge and abilities to those who do plan to explore dungeons and other dangerous places:  he makes magic items, gives advice, and evaluates items brought back from those places.  He prides himself on his trustworthiness, and his wide-spread knowledge, and likes his position with the guild, serving those who seek danger and knowledge and treasure.
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

kckolbe

I asssume drawbacks work in the same way as flaws from Unearthed Arcana?  If so, I am okay with them.

Countdown (and everyone, really: Why would you char commit to the guild? 

Zaer: Sounds good, but bear in mind that missions aren't guaranteed.

Faolchu:  Seems workable, though I would get rid of the bonus for alignment, both to limit the upside and simplify the dice rolling when drawing cards.  Also considering toning down Tower of Strength, which could currently end up doubling the amount of damage done.

Bigwad, our chars seem very similar.  Mine is an alchemist with a business sense as well. 

By the way, staff members may still begin with 25 points if all four levels are in an NPC class, to include the UA versions: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm

Intro Thread

Countdown0

Ah. I'll go ahead and add some more elaborating on that now :D

*edit* There we go. Do you want us to post actual character sheets, like from "plothook.net" or some other site?

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

kckolbe

I personally prefer myth-weavers, but yes.  Leave languages blank for now.

Intro Thread

Faolchu

Okay, after some deliberation, I thin I'll go with an Aasimar Druid, Level 1. I'd want to use the Agathion-blooded variant Aasimar from the 'Blood of Angels' supplement.

+2 Con
+2 Cha
Skill Modifiers: +2 to Handle Animal, Survival
Spell-Like Ability: Summon Nature's Ally II 1/day as a spell-like ability

Native Outsider, Darkvision, and Celestial Resistance as regular Aasimar
No.

kckolbe

Seems like that would have a level adjustment. 

Intro Thread

Faolchu

I can't find a level adjustment listed in either the Blood of Angels book or the Advanced Race Guide.

If there is, then I'll choose something else, no problem :)
No.

Florence

I'll post up some info for Meredith tommo- ... -looks at clock- Today.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Countdown0

Alright, here is the CS :D http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12879

I left languages blank. Also, I have a Raven Familiar who can also speak one language. I'd like it to obviously be one that I speak, but preferably a less common language ;)

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

kckolbe

You'll be able to choose which language your raven speaks.  Also, I believe you have one skill point remaining.  (2 for class, 4 for int, 1 from house rule)

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Faolchu, I would say go ahead and keep looking, or at least try creating your own version of the race so it doesn't have a modifier.  It shouldn't take much work. 

Ebb, your character looks fine.  Half-orcs aren't a beloved race, but a humble one that worships Iomedae and hides his face so as not to offend more "delicate" types would be accepted enough.

Intro Thread

Muse

Hi KC.  I'd still love to play. 

What's the gender spread? I could do a somewhat promiscious guy, or I could bring in SUsan Skythorn. :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

kckolbe

Wouldn't worry about gender.  Seem to be getting pretty decent interest on both sides.

Intro Thread

Faolchu

Quote from: kckolbe on October 01, 2013, 02:10:25 AM
Faolchu, I would say go ahead and keep looking, or at least try creating your own version of the race so it doesn't have a modifier.  It shouldn't take much work. 

It's cool, I can move on to another idea :) I'm trying to make as little work for both the GM's and myself as possible :)

So, let's just turn it into a Level 1 Human Cleric. I haven't played  cleric under the Pathfinder rules yet, so that will be a new enough experience for me :)
No.

Countdown0

Quote from: kckolbe on October 01, 2013, 02:02:28 AM
You'll be able to choose which language your raven speaks.  Also, I believe you have one skill point remaining.  (2 for class, 4 for int, 1 from house rule)

Is that one for house rule the one that only applies to perform/profession/craft? If so, what kind of profession/craft would you recommend for a wizard?

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

kckolbe

Well, you already have a craft: calligraphy skill, so really you could put the point anywhere.  Profession: Scribe would be a good compliment, though, and the two skills would synergize with each other.

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Also, Faolchu, you could take the animal domain as a cleric and get some nice class features from that.

Intro Thread

Countdown0

Yeah, Scribe seems like a reasonable idea. I'll go for that :D

*edit* There we go :P

I can chronicle my own adventures in glorious calligraphy. Or, you know, do other stuff.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Blinkin

Drawbacks are part of the trait system. Basically, you can take 1 (and only 1) drawback to get an extra trait. The drawback puts some kind of limitation on the character, like flaws, disadvantages or similar things. The one that I'm looking at is "Overprotective". It's located here.

Tari's reason for joining the guild is pretty simple. It's a way to make some money, get experience in the field and adventure. She can't make a name for herself if she can't get out there and DO something. In time, she expects that her experiences with the guild will get her a spot on a serious adventuring party doing freelance work in far flung parts of the world.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Ebb

Quote from: kckolbe on October 01, 2013, 02:10:25 AM
Ebb, your character looks fine.  Half-orcs aren't a beloved race, but a humble one that worships Iomedae and hides his face so as not to offend more "delicate" types would be accepted enough.

Sounds good. Here's a character sheet:
http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12867

Arms and armor are more of a wish-list. We'll see what the Guild can provide, and I'll adjust.

Teo Torriatte

Celeste Veritas

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Celeste is a descendant of Aurora Veritas, a cleric of Sarenrae who was deified centuries ago, along with her brother Titus who was a renowned paladin. Before joining the Guild, Celeste lived and worked at a shrine dedicated to the siblings, and has started to show the ability to commune with ancestors of her lineage. She has more than a passing resemblance to the deified cleric, as well.

The shrine has fallen on hard times, with reverence for the Veritas lineage dwindling, and with it the donations which have been the major method of support for Celeste and her family. So it was with more than a little trepidation that she left the relatively peaceful life of a shrine maiden to join the Varisian Colonist's Guild, where she would at the very least be supporting herself and thus no longer a burden on her family, and perhaps even generate a newly found interest in her ancestors if she does well enough.

kckolbe

Ebb, looks good.  Question about plothook sheets, though.  Under spell resist, there are four boxes for weapons and armor.  What do they signify?

Intro Thread

bigwad73

Quote from: kckolbe on September 30, 2013, 11:11:56 PM
(snip)
Bigwad, our chars seem very similar.  Mine is an alchemist with a business sense as well. 

Does that mean no?  Another idea I had was for a Ranger that operates singly, and maps (surface) areas that teams are going to enter.

*Unrolls map*  "See, you've got a game trail here, paralleling the river.  That takes you to a campsite about a day's travel from the cave complex.  Good water and food available most of the way.  I did see some bear tracks up in this area--several beehives there, so be careful around them.  I also saw some orc footprints in the mud where the river passes close to the cave--I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lair in the upper level of the cave complex."
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

kckolbe

It wasn't a "no" at all, just pointing out the similarities.  Class-wise our chars are very different.  Mine is a level 4 alchemist, level 2 fighter, level 2 student of war. 

Intro Thread

bigwad73

Quote from: kckolbe on October 01, 2013, 08:58:38 AM
It wasn't a "no" at all, just pointing out the similarities.  Class-wise our chars are very different.  Mine is a level 4 alchemist, level 2 fighter, level 2 student of war.

Ah, right.  I'll come up with a Level 4 Wizard, then. 

I'd also be happy to write up that Ranger as an NPC for you, if you want?  I think he'd be a useful character...

amol

One of the guildmasters just wanted to say hi... HI!!!

I've been a little ill so I haven't gotten around to read all of this lovely thread. Will get at it as soon as I can.
To all the people I RP with: I'm getting quite ill at the moment. So if I do not reply to games in the coming days it's not because I've abandoned you. It'll be because I can't.

Ebb

Quote from: kckolbe on October 01, 2013, 08:49:33 AM
Ebb, looks good.  Question about plothook sheets, though.  Under spell resist, there are four boxes for weapons and armor.  What do they signify?

I haven't used those before, but playing around with them now it just looks like a way to hide/show some of the line items in the section below. It looks like the sheet gives space for four weapons and four armor items by default, but you can uncheck some of those boxes to make the sheet a little shorter if you're not using so many.

There's another one further down to hide spells. I just turned that off and saved the sheet, eliminating a tiny fraction of the clutter in the world.

kckolbe

Quote from: bigwad73 on October 01, 2013, 09:03:47 AM
Ah, right.  I'll come up with a Level 4 Wizard, then. 

I'd also be happy to write up that Ranger as an NPC for you, if you want?  I think he'd be a useful character...

Gonna hold off on allowing second characters for now, though he currently would be useful.

Intro Thread

Blinkin

Tari Gravante

Name: Tari Gravante         Player: Blinkin
Race: Human            Sex: Female
Class: Rogue (Swashbuckler)      Favored Class: Rogue
Level: 1            EXP: 000
Alignment: CG         Next Level: 3,000

Description, Personality, Background

Physical Description: Standing at 5’7, Tari is a leggy woman with an athletic figure that none the less shows off soft, womanly curves. Her mass of thick, dark curly hair frames a heart shaped face that is dominated by large, intelligent dark gray eyes, a full, slightly pouty lower lip and a chin that stops just a shade short of being too stubborn. Her lightly tanned complexion and softly upturned eyes gives her an exotic beauty that seems to match her unconscious grace when she moves. Normally dressed in a cream colored tunic under a dark blue jacket that does nothing to hide the rounded mounds of her C cupped breast,, her leather pants are tucked into high, dark brown turned over boots; a weapons belt hangs low on her rounded hips with a rapier on her right hip and a matching dagger on the left.

Personality: Tari is a fascinating blend of outrageous flirt and bold, even reckless seriousness. If you’re a friend, you’re a friend for life and none other will be as loyal as she will. If you are an enemy… well… no one will be as loyal to the cause of getting even either. If you’re fun, you’ll get a time that you’ll never forget. In spite of her conflicting personality traits, she holds a set of morals and principles that can be absolutely depended on to hold true… exactly what those are may sometimes be in question, but never that she’ll follow them. She has a mischievous streak a league wide and a love of anything the least bit exciting and new… this can range from a new place to a new man (or woman) for a night of wenching and drinking… Hey, women can wench; they just call it something different! When the times call for seriousness, however, her mind is focused on whatever needs to be done and although she may trade witty comments and barbs with the opponent, she never forgets that it’s life and death… and she intends for her and hers to walk away with the life category. Often sweet and funny, she’ll happily sit down with the same “bad guy” for a civil conversation at a tavern simply because it’s the civilized thing to do and good conversation is good conversation… as long as the rules of courtesy are obeyed. Then, the next morning, do her best to best said bad-guy with her blades… unless the point of the fight isn’t to kill each other, but she’ll fight just as hard all the same… If you want to beat her, you’re going to have to work for it!

Background: Tari is the youngest daughter of Baron Phenael Gravante, and admittedly, the apple of his eye. Even though she continues to disobey him and avoid suitor after suitor with some skill, she knows that She would not inherit from the family and must make her own way in the world if she wants to be free.

Tari, following the example of her 4 older brothers, gravitated to the ways of the warrior and her fascination with the blade has led her to no small amount of trouble and, because she is a woman, an unorthodox method of training. When her father’s Man-at-arms refused to teach her, she went out on her own and discovered an old rogue who, for a price that sshouldn’t be spoken of in polite company, taught her the ways of light blades and speed, of movement and stealth when many of her opponents will be larger and stronger than she is… to face anger with a sort of glee that is shown in the way that the tongue can taunt and tempt the enemy to act without thought… where her own body might be a lure to act without wisdom… to be bold and wait for the subtle moments. Along with the sword play, she learned much about the underside of the world and while she would never be a thief, she is aware of that profession and may have some small talent in going places that she shouldn’t.

Ability Scores:
STR: 13 (+1)   Carry: Light: 50   Moderate: 51-100      Heavy: 101-150
DEX: 18 (+4)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 13 (+1)
WIS: 12 (+1)
CHA: 14 (+2)

Saving Throws:         Combat:
Fort: +1         HP: 13/13
Reflex: +6         Init: +4
Will: +1         Speed: 30’

Offense:            Defense:
Base Attack:+0            AC: 14
TAB: +5            AC (Flatfooted): 14
Ranged: +5               AC (Touch): 10
CMB:+2            CMD: +13
DEF(Special):

Class Skills:
7   Acrobatics (DEX (3+4)
9      Bluff (CHR) (3+2+3+1)
4      Climb (Str) (3+1)
5   Craft; Jeweler (INT) (3+1+1)
10      Disable Device (Dex) (3+4+2+1
8      Diplomacy (CHA) (3+2+2+1)
5      Perception(WIS) (3+1+1)
6      Perform; Dance (CHA) (3+2+1)
5      Profession; Dancer (WIS) (3+1+1
6      Sense Motive (CHA) (3+2+1)
8      Stealth (Dex) (3+4+1)
4      Swim (Str) (3+1)
6      Use Magical Device (CHA) 3+2+1)

Languages:

Feats:
(CF=Class Feature, RT=Rogue Talent)

Toughness
Fast Learner (Gain +1 HP & Skill Point When taking a level in favored class)
CF-   Sneak attack (1d6)
RT -   Weapon Finesse (Combat Trick)
CF-   Martial Weapon; Longsword

Racial/class traits
Drawback, Over Protective (Must remain within 10’ of a fallen ally during combat)
Charm: +2 to Diplomacy & Bluff against someone who may be sexually attracted to you.
Witty Reparte: +1 to bluff.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

kckolbe

Text is fine, Blinkin.  For skills, though, I would appreciate if you broke them down by ability mod, then ranks, then other modifiers.  You would not have the rogue talent at level one.  Also, a crossbow is a simple weapon, so you would not need to waste your martial proficiency on that.

Intro Thread

atenai

I'll call dibs on a level 4 druid for the guild staff. Will have to figure out if I want to bring in an old character or make a new one.

Amirelle Valerian, Token Guild Druid
Name: Amirelle Valerian (sheet)
Race/Class: Half-Elf Druid 4
concept: archer, healer, animal-friend

Appearance: Amirelle does try to keep a tidy appearance when in towns, which of course includes her time at the Guild. Her success varies, however. She often ends up with leaves in her hair that she failed to remove, or her long braid is in disarray and she doesn't realize. It gives her a certain air of cluelessness or just plain oddity. As most half-elves are, she's pretty enough by the average standard, no great beauty but not hard on the eyes. She's on the tall side of average, muscular in the flexible way of dancers and others who exercise in constant motion. Her form-fitted leather armor leaves very little to the imagination, and often she's too lazy to wear anything underneath the leather pants studded with darkwood (not metal) leaf shapes or the similarly studded bra. For the more fussy events at the Guild she does own an embroidered brown surcoat, like a knee-length green vest that she usually wears open over her normal attire.

Personality: Amirelle is easy going to the point where many think she doesn't get angry. She has something of a 'zen' attitude toward much of life, and takes everything in stride whether it's going amazingly well or crashing and burning. She isn't as bubbly as some half-elves, not the type to instantly take to everyone and everything with eagerness, but taking it in stride is enough for her. Animals and plants get greeted just as nicely as people, and often it doesn't appear as if she cares whether her company can speak or not. The only times she has gotten angry where someone in the Guild could see her involved someone brutalizing an animal. There is a certain brutish local knight who demanded a restraining order and repayment... after taking almost half an hour cutting his way free of the entangling vines she'd wrapped him in. His horse followed Ami and refused to go home after she'd healed him, and has continued to follow her around ever since.

Background: Ami is wild at heart, but has always been torn between nature and society. Unlike half-elves who are torn between a human parent and an elven parent, she's an orphan, stuck between her animal friends and her humanoid ones. She does her best to find peace by working with the animals used in civilized areas, everything from training pets to hunting dogs to horses. It was just such an action that led her into the Guild's path, when they needed to replace injured horses. It galled her that someone would harm a horse to limit the rider, and for a bit she gave them trouble rather than aid for leading their horses into such straits. But it finally occurred to her that her anger was directed at the wrong people, and she felt quite good about bringing down that particular archer. If he didn't last long enough to get information from him, it certainly couldn't have been her fault, no. :)
~Atenai

kckolbe

Updated the first post with current applications.

Intro Thread

Blinkin

Quote from: kckolbe on October 01, 2013, 10:25:08 AM
Text is fine, Blinkin.  For skills, though, I would appreciate if you broke them down by ability mod, then ranks, then other modifiers.  You would not have the rogue talent at level one.  Also, a crossbow is a simple weapon, so you would not need to waste your martial proficiency on that.

The Archetype gives a rogue talent at level 1 to replace the loss of trap find. The text reads...

"At 1st level, the swashbuckler may select one martial weapon to add to her list of weapon proficiencies. In addition, she may take the combat trick rogue talent up to two times.

This ability replaces trapfinding."

I'll drop rogue talent if you want, it'll mean changing the bonus feat for human, but not a huge deal. The skills aren't a big deal either, I'm just use to listing them alphabetically instead of by ability and rank. I'll make the changes.

Edited.
"
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

kckolbe

My bad, Blinkin.  Looks like I misread the class.

Also, for skills, put them in whatever order you want.  I just forgot about the class skill bonus because I am a moron.  I ran eight miles today, personal best, but I may have been brain dead for a while afterward.

Intro Thread

Blinkin

No worries, it seems to be something everyone misses. It's part of the curse of having to read every line on a webpage.

How I list skills are, usually, Alphabetically, class skill+Ability mod+other mod+skill ranks

Example: 9 Bluff (Cha) (3(class skill)+2(ability)+2(Other Mod)+1(skill rank) I know most, if not all character generation systems list them differently, but to be honest, the system mystifies me for the most part as I'm not entirely sure which is which.

I'm happy to list them in whatever order that you like if it helps you to browse the sheet.

I'm off to edit it again and put the rogue talent back. :)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Blinkin on October 01, 2013, 12:16:15 PM
The Archetype gives a rogue talent at level 1 to replace the loss of trap find.

Out of curiosity, where does it mention that you get ANOTHER rogue talent at first level? From what I'm reading, it simply allows you to take a Combat Trick 2x, as opposed to the limit of choosing each rogue trick at most once. So you could spend both your 2nd and 4th level rogue tricks on a combat trick, but I'm not quite sure I see where it mentions that you gain an extra one on top of the ones you already have.

Ebb

Quote from: Ghostwheel on October 01, 2013, 03:22:57 PM
Out of curiosity, where does it mention that you get ANOTHER rogue talent at first level? From what I'm reading, it simply allows you to take a Combat Trick 2x, as opposed to the limit of choosing each rogue trick at most once. So you could spend both your 2nd and 4th level rogue tricks on a combat trick, but I'm not quite sure I see where it mentions that you gain an extra one on top of the ones you already have.

I think my reading is probably the same as Ghostwheel's:

Martial Training
At 1st level, the swashbuckler may select one martial weapon to add to her list of weapon proficiencies. In addition, she may take the combat trick rogue talent up to two times.
This ability replaces trapfinding.

That seems to me that at 1st level you get the extra martial weapon proficiency, and you don't get trapfinding. In addition, as you go up in levels you may take the Combat Trick talent up to twice, instead of being limited to just once like most rogues.

Otherwise what you're doing there is getting three combat feats at first level (Combat Trick is just defined as getting a Combat feat). That would be an extremely hefty bonus for a 1st level character. Note that regular Rogues don't even get their first rogue talent until they're 2nd level. If you got three extra combat feats at first level then every fighter in the world would take one level of Swashbuckler Rogue, I think.

Looking at it another way -- if you got all of that at 1st level, wouldn't it just say "take two extra Combat feats" or "take Combat Trick twice"? There wouldn't be any reason to say "up to twice"; it's not like anyone would choose to just take it once.

Blinkin

Where I read it is that as it's stated together, that it's all a part. Otherwise, it would seperate them out.  Martial weapon replaces trap find, then you may take combat trick up to two times. As it's together, over the trap finding, it looks to me that they are together.

Note that I didn't ask for, nor did I take 2 combat tricks. I agree that two combat tricks would be too much, however, fighters do get a bonus feat at 1st level and the swashbuckler is closer to a fighter than a rogue, without the option of more defense or HP.

Again, it's up to the GM, and asI said, if he decides to remove it, I'll be happy to comply. I think that it's a matter of interpretation... but if it was meant to be seperate, wouldn't it be seperated more clearly?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

I think the relevant text is, "In addition, she may take the combat trick rogue talent up to two times." It doesn't say that you get it on top of something, or that it's extra, or that it's granted automatically, or that you get an additional rogue talent at first level with which you can take the combat trick as a rogue talent. Just that you may take it up to two times, rather than a maximum of once which is what the "regular" rogue can do.

It opens the possibility to take combat trick twice, rather than once, with the rogue talents you get at every even level, but it doesn't actually give you any more rogue talents or combat tricks (doesn't say extra, additional, or anything like that).

Also, "may" implies that you can take them if you want to (as part of your normal progression), instead of the way I think you're interpreting it, which is getting them automatically. You don't have to take a second combat trick as one of your obtained rogue talents, but if you would rather a second combat feat instead of another rogue talent, you may take the Combat Trick ability a second time instead of just once, which is what the maximum times a "normal" rogue can take it.

Even with the archetype, I don't think you'd be able to take any combat tricks at first level, as you don't get any rogue talents then.

Phaia

:D
greetings!  do you have room for another... i have concept for a monk and this looks fun!

Phaia

Blinkin

As I said, I think that it's a difference of opinion and perception of the wording. It could be argued, although I'm not, that it doesn't say that you cannot.

Again, and I hope for the last time, it is a GM's call. If he decides that it doesn't apply, then I'll be happy to accept that and make the changes. He did say that it was ok above. If this is a game killer, it is still up to the GM.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Susan Skythorn

Daughter of a country innkeeper on a conservative frontier and neice of the captain of the town militia, Susan Guester was always a tomboy.  When she got some time off from helping her mother in the kitchen of the inn, she was as likely to go grab a stick and ask the boys to play swords with her as she was to take her doll to join the little girls. 

When her uncle Otis noticed this, he brought her onto the militia field and warned her, “The sword is no weapon for you, Susan.   Swords require strength, and no matter how strong you get there will always be a stronger man ready to cut you down.  Always keep your mind keen, your wits, sharp, and your eyes peeled for any advantage life throws you.  But if, gods forbid, you should be forced to fight, let’s see how you do with this.”  He showed her how to fire a slightly undersized crossbow—still very large for a girl of nine. 

Over the next four years, Susan frequently went out to the field to shoot with her uncle.  She was soon scoring better than most of the militia, and even hunting with him by the time she could use a full sized weapon. 

When Susan was thirteen, she discovered that her parents were arranging a marriage for her.  Being romantic enough to want to choose her own husband, but also young enough to still be fearful of sex—she’d barely begun her monthly bleeding!—Susan demanded that her parents end the arrangement.  When they refused, she packed her crossbow, some food, a dagger, and a few copper coins, and ran away from home.   

The next three years were hard, but the things Uncle Otis taught her kept her alive and thriving.  Dressed as a boy, she was harassed a little less-but still appeared young enough to engender sympathy.  She hunted with her crossbow and sold the meat in the towns she visited.  She also did chores at the farms she visited in return for a few days of civilized comforts at a time.  She traveled under the name Zan, for a story time hero from her mother’s tales, an elven giants slayer small enough to ride a dog. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Faolchu

Okay, here we go...

Name: Ezandru
Race: Human (Varisian)
Sex: Male
Class: Cleric 1
Deity: Shelyn

Background:

Born into a travelling Varisian camp, Ezandu’s family and clan were massacred by gnoll raiders in Varissia when he was only a few months old.Why the baby was spared, no-one is sure. However, the group of adventurers that were hunting the gnolls found a residue of magic around the wailing baby, indicating that one of the clan might have cast a protection spell around Ezandru before falling to the gnolls.While the rest of the party tracked down the gnolls, Elissa, the young priestess of Shelyn in the party, took the baby back to the nearest town. And when the rest of her party returned after gaining justice for the gnoll’s victims, Elissa had decided to take the baby with her back to Absalom.

Ezandru grew up in the care of the church of Shelyn, learning the rites, prayers, and ways of the clergy. Elissa told him of his foundling origin, and this lead Ezandru to study his Varisian heritage, especially the music of his people. Each day, as the others dedicated to Shelyn created works of art, poetry, and music, Ezandru sang the songs of his people and played traditional Vasarian instruments. Now, Ezandru is grown and has become an ordained member of the Church of Shelyn. He’s now ready to go out into the world and spread the beauty, joy, and love that comes from Shelyn.
No.

Muse

Susan Skythorn

Daughter of a country innkeeper on a conservative frontier and neice of the captain of the town militia, Susan Guester was always a tomboy.  When she got some time off from helping her mother in the kitchen of the inn, she was as likely to go grab a stick and ask the boys to play swords with her as she was to take her doll to join the little girls. 

When her uncle Otis noticed this, he brought her onto the militia field and warned her, “The sword is no weapon for you, Susan.   Swords require strength, and no matter how strong you get there will always be a stronger man ready to cut you down.  Always keep your mind keen, your wits, sharp, and your eyes peeled for any advantage life throws you.  But if, gods forbid, you should be forced to fight, let’s see how you do with this.”  He showed her how to fire a slightly undersized crossbow—still very large for a girl of nine. 

Over the next four years, Susan frequently went out to the field to shoot with her uncle.  She was soon scoring better than most of the militia, and even hunting with him by the time she could use a full sized weapon. 

When Susan was thirteen, she discovered that her parents were arranging a marriage for her.  Being romantic enough to want to choose her own husband, but also young enough to still be fearful of sex—she’d barely begun her monthly bleeding!—Susan demanded that her parents end the arrangement.  When they refused, she packed her crossbow, some food, a dagger, and a few copper coins, and ran away from home.   

The next three years were hard, but the things Uncle Otis taught her kept her alive and thriving.  Dressed as a boy, she was harassed a little less-but still appeared young enough to engender sympathy.  She hunted with her crossbow and sold the meat in the towns she visited.  She also did chores at the farms she visited in return for a few days of civilized comforts at a time.  She traveled under the name Zan, for a story time hero from her mother’s tales, an elven giants slayer small enough to ride a dog. 

In her sixteenth year, though, still penniless, she was robbed while sleeping in an inn’s stables, loosing everything but the clothes on her back and the cloak she used for a pillow. 

Desperate, she noted the adventurer’s guild sign and decided to try her luck.  If nothing else, she’d serve them long enough to pay off a new crossbow, then go back to the life she was accustomed too. 

Name:      Susan Skythorn
Player:      Muse
Alignment:   Chaotic Good
Class:      Fighter (Crossbowman) 1
Race:      Human

Birthday:   25th day of the 7th month. 
Height:      5’1”
Weight:   105lbs
Measures:   34 C, 24”, 30” 
Skin:      Lightly tanned.   
Hair:      Fiery red ponytail. 
Eyes:      Sparkling green. 
Style:      

Strength   11   +0
Dexterity   18   +4
Constitution   14   +2
Intelligence   12   +1
Wisdom   14   +2
Charisma   12   +1

Hit Points   12

Saving Throws: 
Fortitude   2   +2   +0   =d20+4
Reflex      0   +4   +0   =d20+4
Will      0   +1   +0   =d20+1

Armor Class   14   (Armor +0   Dexterity +4)

Base Attack   +1
--Melee      +1
--Missile      +5
--CMB         +1
--CMD         15

Class Features
--Bonus Feat

Feat: 
--Point Blank Shot
--Precise Shot
--Weapon Focus: Light Crossbow

Skills: 
--Climb      1 +3 +0 +0 +0   =d20+4
--Craft: Cook      1 +3 +1 +0 +0   =d20+5
--Perception      1 +3 +2 +1 +0   =d20+7
--Stealth      1 +3 +4 +1 +0   =d20+9
--Survival      1 +3 +2 +0 +0   =d20+6
--Swim      1 +3 +0 +0 =0   =d20+4

Traits: 
--Looking for Work:  +1 Perception, which is a class skill. 
--Slippery:      +1 Stealth, which is a class skill for you. 

Zaer Darkwail

I work sheet later on thursday or friday. However so far concept is this; Male Aasimar (Azata-Blooded) Bard 4 (archivist archtype). So a scholarly sort bard but who also knows how to play harp pretty damn well (haves no skill versatility provided via performances but as scholar he is better at that job than normal bard).

He is likely the guy you go to identify magic items, objects of history or get some general information provided for adventurers regarding their missions (or what they saw during missions). So rarely he does go on field on missions but he can be active in local social life in the city where Guild is. Also if speaking what knowledge classes he ran....he probably ran all of them! Including arcane and spellcraft.

kckolbe

I think that a martial weapon proficiency is a pretty weak trade off for trapfinding, so I will stick with the compromise of one combat trick being granted.

Phaia, we aren't doing first come/first serve, so feel free to apply.

Muse, char looks good, but I think you spent one too many skill points.

Faolchu, concept is fine.

Zaer, that sounds all right, but again, I don't want any races above 10 RP.

Intro Thread

Muse

Didn't you say we got a bonus skill  p oint for craft?   *checks* 

Class: 2
Inteligence 1
Favored Class 1
Human Bonus 1
Campaing bonus 1

That's six. 

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Blinkin

Thanks Cole, I tended to agree that it was a weak tradeoff, which was one of the reasons why I thought that the two went together.

I mean, "You can use a longsword... Yippie!" was how I read it and Trapfind is fairly significant for rogues.

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: kckolbe on October 01, 2013, 09:18:09 PM
Zaer, that sounds all right, but again, I don't want any races above 10 RP.

Hmmm, ok. So I need reduce Aasimar by -5 RP so it fits in rest of the races setup then? Ok, I remove the spell-alike ability (glitterdust) and celestial resistance. It would leave Aasimar to be 9 RP race then, so to compensate the losses I would take Envoy racial trait (get comprehend language, detect magic, detect poison and read magic as spell-alike abilities 1/day). So my char is distant offspring of a diplomatic lillend.

kckolbe

That works, Zaer.  I'll add your char to the first post.

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Thanks, my guy likely works as universal 'sensei' in the Guild and also works in registry and other scribe work. But also he collects rumors and news for work. So even if he does not go 'missions' he has lots work to do in the Guild. He may also work as 'face' of the Guild in diplomatic situations.

kckolbe

I think I can find some IC uses for a char like that.

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Nice :). I feared when I roll staff char I would end up spend 90% time in the desk in Guild and doing much nothing besides socialize other staff members....or the new adventurers which he trained who are brief time between missions in Guild.

Anyways, roll charsheet either today or tomorrow depending how busy it gets for me.

kckolbe

All characters will do time at the guild waiting for work, but time not one mission can be spent in different ways.  Players are encouraged to try to make things happen on their own, especially after the first missions.

Intro Thread

Ghostwheel

Updated my character and background on my first post; half-elf summoner reporting for duty :D

kckolbe

Added and sent you an IM.  By the way, even though I am still accepting characters, I just wanted to say that I have received enough applications.  You don't have to worry about the game dying due to lack of interest.

I'm still preparing 1st level missions, "editing" the playing world and working on some side stuff.  No ETA on when submissions will no longer be accepted, most likely the end of this weekend, but want to check with some other folks helping me out.

Intro Thread

EndofDivine

Ok...so here's what I came up with. Sorry for throwing out another Paladin but it's really the only class that fits the concept. Took Warrior of the Holy Light as an archetype. Mostly looking to flavor all of her abilities as a 'divine energy barely contained by a mortal vessel' type thing. Smite Evil, Lay on Hands, all her auras would be accompanied by radiant white light seeping from her, spreading across her weapon, her hands, or whatever is appropriate for the ability. Made the changes to Aasimar that I told you about and replaced the normal celestial resistances with Deathless Spirit which gives her resistances to negative energy, death effects, and necromancy which I think fits a lot better for her. Also gave the race Scion of Humanity since I think it makes sense for her to count as a human and an outsider. Hope that's all ok. :P

Character Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=671219

Background
In order to tell the story of Masota Kaedin, one must first turn to her father, Sirreth Kaedin. For most of his life, Sirreth was a mage of little importance living in Cheliax with his wife Alma. Unfortunately for himself and his family, Sirreth had delusions of grandeur far beyond his station in life. He desired wealth, he desired power, and above all, he desired respect and fear from his peers. To gain all this, Sirreth turned to the devil Illazadiel and his infernal contract. Illazadiel offered Sirreth everything he wanted for a simple price: the soul of his unborn child. Sirreth agreed but was murdered weeks later by a mob of wizards, driven into a paranoid panic by the scope of his abilities. Sirreth got what he always wanted and deserved, and Illazadiel claimed his prize.

Months passed, Alma grieved her foolish husband, and the child continued to grow until the day of birth arrived. Alma's child was delivered stillborn, nothing more than a soulless husk. But where others would look down upon the scene and see only tragedy, the goddess Sarenrae viewed the empty vessel and saw hope. She imbued the child with the divine essence of one of her angelic followers, giving life to her once again and granting the child a touch of divinity.

Alma departed Cheliax not long after. A newborn that can speak Celestial has few friends in the nation of devils. Masota's mother finally settled in southern Taldor, far away from the troubles of Cheliax. She did her best to raise her child as a normal girl but the gifts bestowed upon Masota also seemed destined to rob her of anything resembling a normal childhood. Masota's incredibly slow aging soon became all anyone in the town could talk about, especially after Masota took it upon herself to start healing the injured and sick amongst the town.

Masota enjoyed several decades of near-celebrity status in her new home, though her past finally caught up to her forty years after her birth. Illazadiel's minions descended upon the town one cold winter night, searching for the girl that dared mock him by merely existing. Masota's mother gave her only child to a rider fleeing from the town so that she may live. Alma correctly assumed that her own death would be enough to satiate the devil's bloodlust for now and remained behind in the burning town.

Masota spent the next two decades living with the Gyran family, refugees from her town that had survived as well. As she grew into a teenager, she became increasingly focused on improving herself and her abilities. She told herself all of the training was to better serve Sarenrae...but deep down she desired revenge.

Now an adult, Masota seeks new ways to serve the people of the world and by extension, her goddess. The advertisement for an adventuring guild caught her eye...the benefits seemed obvious to her. It would keep her traveling, hopefully staying one step ahead of those that might still hunt her. It would allow her the chance to help those in need. And perhaps she might even find a mixture of experience, wealth, and allies that would finally allow her to rid this world of that miserable devil that has taken literally everything from her.

Appearance
Masota is slightly taller than most other females with an athletic build, though it's difficult to tell since she's rarely unequipped for battle. She looks to be fairly young; anyone making a guess as to her age would assume her to be in her early 20s. Her blonde hair is kept slightly shorter than shoulder length and her eyes are an exceptionally light shade of blue.

While her divine essence has done little to convince others that she's anything other than human, there are a few things about her that are a little...off. Anyone who cares to put enough effort into it might notice a few strange things about her appearance that give away her true nature. Her hair never grows, her skin is perfectly smooth (she doesn't have any pores and her skin never scars), her breath always has an invigorating scent, and her face is so perfectly symmetrical it's as if an artist painstakingly carved it from stone. Her voice is also strangely soothing, though those who listen can't quite put their finger on why it is. Anyone that can converse with Masota in Celestial might find her to be a bit too comfortable in its use.

The only jewelry Masota wears is an old pendant that once belonged to her father. She keeps it as a reminder of what is at the end of the road for those that follow the path of temptation.

Personality
Masota has given her life to the service of Sarenrae. After all, if it weren't for her intervention, Masota wouldn't have a life to live in the first place. She follows the tenets and teachings of Sarenrae's faith with an adamant passion...so much so that some would call her overzealous in her pursuit of Sarenrae's ideals.

Masota's typical demeanor can only be described as stoic. She tries her best to be patient in all things, though she will be the first to admit she's not perfect. There have been times in the past where her temper has clouded her judgment; the right word or action igniting the embers of divine wrath swirling inside her.

Despite her seemingly unshakeable belief in the life Sarenrae has placed before her, Masota has her doubts at times. Mostly, she questions whether her actions are truly her own. Would she so readily serve if she wasn't a vessel for one
of Sarenrae's angelic servants? Is this truly the path she wishes to walk or merely the one she was forced upon?

Lockepick

Name: Slatemane
Race: Child of Diadem (Custom)
Class: Spellthief

Description: Slatemane is physically that of an eighteen year old Human, even if he hasn't been around even half that time. He stands at 5'8", shorter than most, with a trim, lithe body. His skin is fair, but otherwise unmarred and smooth. His namesake is the hair on his head: a light slate-blue color. The hair is shaved close to the scalp along the sides of his head, and the top is longer to hang down behind him in a short mohawk. His eyes are a brighter shade of blue, a deep sapphire that grow brighter when he's retaining or discharging spells.

Personality: The world outside the tower he was created in is all new to him. It's a world of experience and sensation that he wants to explore. Adventuring exposes him to events and experiences he'd never have otherwise, and allows him to constantly be exploring new places and wonders. Social norms don't come naturally to him, and he's still struggling to learn what is and isn't acceptable, which can make him seem crass or rude. In situations of high etiquette, he tends to favor simply shutting up and listening.

History: Slatemane is a 'successful' project of the wizard Diadem, a mad archmage trying to create his heir as the most magically pure creature. Slatemane was the first child made that did not have any natural magical ability that wasn't a twisted monstrosity. Diadem's curiosity was the only thing that kept Slatemane from being immediately slaughtered for parts. He was locked up in quarantine, until Diadem had time to experiment and dissect him. His ability to 'spellthieve' came as a surprise to him as much as it did the guards of his cell. He quickly turned their own magic against them before escaping Diadem's tower. Slatemane has always kept moving; partially because he is terrified that Diadem is still after him, and partially because the world outside the tower is new to him.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

amol

@lockepick:

Spellthief is a D&D class. This game is supposed to be pathfinder.

And what kind of race is a Child of Diadem???

@every one

Remember when you level in your favoured class (also level 1) then you get the normal favoured class bonus PLUS 1 extra skill point that can be put in craft, profession or preform
To all the people I RP with: I'm getting quite ill at the moment. So if I do not reply to games in the coming days it's not because I've abandoned you. It'll be because I can't.

Countdown0

Quote from: amol on October 02, 2013, 05:24:06 PM

Remember when you level in your favoured class (also level 1) then you get the normal favoured class bonus PLUS 1 extra skill point that can be put in craft, profession or preform

Does that mean that Cadrim should have a 7th skill point and 10 HP instead of 9? Because I didn't apply his half-elf bonus skill point/health point for favored classes to his first level.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

amol

Yes he should have 7 skill points PLUS the favoured class bonus that could also be a skill point or a HP (or something else) - but I think he already has 7 skill points

Faolchu

"PCs will start with one trait, but may receive extra based on how much I like the character concept."

So, does that mean we get an extra Trait from the Advanced Race Guide for our Race without sacrificing one of the standard Racial Traits?
No.

amol

No it means you may select one and only one trait (in stead of the normal two).

If you have a nice character concept you may be rewarded with an appropriate trait.

Countdown0

Quote from: amol on October 02, 2013, 05:56:34 PM
Yes he should have 7 skill points PLUS the favoured class bonus that could also be a skill point or a HP (or something else) - but I think he already has 7 skill points

Right, he does... but as a Wizard he get's 2 base, and his Int bonus give him another 4. He also get's an extra 1 for the horse rule. So, should I have 8 instead? For the half-elf racial thingy?

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

amol

Quote from: Countdown0 on October 02, 2013, 06:37:20 PM
For the half-elf racial thingy?
Not sure what half-elf racial thingy you are referring to.

atenai

Countdown, you're looking at 2 + INT (4) + 1 (houserule craft/etc) = 7... plus one IF your favored class bonus was applied to skill point, instead of HP. You get one or the other for favored class bonus.
~Atenai

Countdown0

Quote from: atenai on October 02, 2013, 06:51:10 PM
Countdown, you're looking at 2 + INT (4) + 1 (houserule craft/etc) = 7... plus one IF your favored class bonus was applied to skill point, instead of HP. You get one or the other for favored class bonus.

Oh, it only applies to one or the other? :P My bad.

I'll stick with the extra HP then. I don't feel a desperate need for an extra trained knowledge skill.

Thanks for clearing this up for me :D

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

atenai

Yep. The bonus you get as a half-elf is that you get two favored classes, so you could multi-class later on and still get that +1 skill or HP.

Sorry to butt in, I GM Pathfinder on another site so it was actually something I could point out. (*yay helpful for a change*)
~Atenai

Faolchu

kolbe: Here's my initial character sheet... http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12889

Human +2 Ability: Charisma
Human Bonus Feat: Extra Channel
Campaign Bonus Skill Point: Perform (Singing)

EDIT: Granted public viewing pemission
No.

Ebb

Quote from: Faolchu on October 02, 2013, 07:07:03 PM
kolbe: Here's my initial character sheet... http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12889

Human +2 Ability: Charisma
Human Bonus Feat: Extra Channel
Campaign Bonus Skill Point: Perform (Singing)

It looks like you need to mark the character as public for viewing, Faolchu.

kckolbe

D&D classes are allowed with special permission.  I am editing the class slightly.  Child of Diadem is just the name he gave to a race he created using the race builder.

Intro Thread

Florence

Sorry I've been really quiet in this thread. I'll try to have Meredith's sheet up soon. :o
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

cryorage

so Muse tossed me a link to the thread.  still lookin for more at all?  I have a few ideas for some concepts all ready which should be interesting.
The question that once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own. And yet, how ironic…
For I now find I have no choice at all.

I am a warrior. Let the battle be joined.
~Dinobot

kckolbe

No worries, Finn.  I expect you have a few more days.

Cryorage: I am still looking for people willing to run modules, and am still accepting applications to play characters.

Edit:  Bigwad73 has decided to bow out.  There is almost no competition for staff slots.

Intro Thread

Blinkin

Question about gear packs.

Will we be able to choose a weapon that suits the character, or will it all be generic? As an example, Tari's style is built around a light weapon and fast footwork... think fencer or Renn style duels.

On the same note, will the kit include class necessary tools as well?

On a different topic, characters start with no coin at all. Might that be changed to a few small coins for things like food and drinks and such outside of the guild? People had to get there, afterall, and something like 5 or 6 GP could feed a character fairly well for several days of foot travel.

Just thoughts.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

kckolbe

The kits will include a little money for travel and incidentals as well as some basic gear.  As for weapons/armor, your first items likely won't be your preferred gearing, but characters will have the opportunity to fix that. 

Intro Thread

Florence

How's this?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=672029

I haven't filled out much of the fluff yet, I'll do that after I've slept. I wanted to get a bare bones skeleton out there.

The concept of the character is she's a half-drow (drow-blooded alternate trait, but not drow-magic, though I took wary to reflect her early life), who basically spent the first 12-13 years of her life fending for herself and whatnot. She took refuge in a temple to Shelyn quite often and fell in love with the beautiful songs she heard there, and eventually began to worship the Eternal Rose herself. Shortly after that, however, she found herself driven out of the town she'd been staying at, and hitched a ride with a traveling band of dwarves on... some quest. I'll work out the specifics. Anyway, when they discovered her, they first thought of tossing the little half-drow out to find her way home, but couldn't bring themselves to be so cruel once they realized she had nowhere else to go. They let her stick around and in exchange she basically took care of menial chores and whatnot. She proved to be pretty good at picking up languages, and learned dwarven from them, surprising them one day by interrupting a private conversation. As she grew older, they also taught her some basic combat skills, and she learned how to shoot a crossbow. When she was around 16-17, they parted ways, and she found herself in a big city. She had some misadventures, learned halfling, fell in love, had some heartache, picked up some new skills, and basically just experienced all the drama you'd expect from a teenager. One thing lead to another and somehow, by the time she was 20, she found her way to this fun little group.

Feel free to point out any mistakes, I was a little low on sleep when I filled it out.

kckolbe

Looks pretty good.  We have two half-drow applicants now.  I'll edit the first post.

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, I have worked my char almost ready. Considering he has rather charismatic appeal...could it possible Finn that your char got heart crush on my char?

Anyways, just missing some purchases before my char is complete. He does not have many ranks but he has spread his skills very well so he is able teach wide variety of stuff (including disabling traps and knows how disable magical traps like rogue does).

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on October 03, 2013, 08:12:33 AM
Feel free to point out any mistakes, I was a little low on sleep when I filled it out.

It's "taking refuge", since as it is... it could be interpreted to mean having an excrement in a temple :P

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Ghostwheel on October 03, 2013, 11:43:45 AM
It's "taking refuge", since as it is... it could be interpreted to mean having an excrement in a temple :P

That draws quite comedic mental image :P.

CurvyKitten

Can't believe I missed this...this what I get for stepping away for a bit. ~pouts~

Zaer Darkwail

Hehe, you can still step in CurvyKitten :). More so there is plenty room to become Staff member.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, here is my apply for my char

Landrik Goldsong
Landrik Goldsong was born to elven village in Duskwood, village was called Green Haven. His mother is called Nightingale and she had a prolific career as a arcane trickster before she retired down with Landrik's father, who is called Vaelan and he is one prime protectors of the village (a arcane archer). Vaelan and Nightingale met outside Duskwood through adventuring party and they went several adventures together, the teams changed but eventually after one dragon wiped out the group expect those two, they decided they had seen 'enough' of the world for now and settle to live more quieter life before adventures lead them to doom.

So they settled to Green Haven which Vaelan hailed from (Nightingale herself was from city and street urchin, learned magic through sexual abusive mentor as she whored herself learn the basics). They were happy and then Nightingale became pregnant and there was worries will the child be elf or half-elf but then they both decided love the child despite which racial parentage he or she adopts. When Landrik was born, it was during a sunny morning after a rainy night and whole forest bathed in radiant rainbow hues and bird singed almost in...perfect chorus? But when he was born his celestial heritage was not obvious first as he had quite elven/fey alike features, but when he grew older it started show in his skin taking metallic bronze tone (which neither parent had) nor silveric white hair and his eyes were radiant gold thorough his puberty. He grew in same space as elves did but his body was far more robust and more human alike.

In that point village priest communed with their god and found answer; Landrik beared a distant celestial ancestor to Lillend...in Nightingale's ancestry (as Vaelan's family had no records of celestial pairing and Nightingale had no records of her biological parents so celestial blood came from her side). Despite the discovery that child has no elven blood at all but Landrik was accepted none the less by his parents and then by his community. He learned later what made him different from other children and he accepted it and thanked community loving and accepting him.

He studied years under village's elders, practicing various arts and dabbling, but eventually he settled to his deepest passions; string instrument playing and books. He read very a lot as a child and he was less outdoors man than his father, but his mother and father both taught basics of magic and soon Landrik self-taught himself to become a bard. His thirst for adventure came from both of his parents and their tales and he wanted see the wider world and learn more from it. So with farewells and gifts given to him (getting enchanted mithril chain shirt as heirloom token from mother and freshly made darkwood bow from father) he then set on the road and started travel.

While in city he came across Varisian Colonist's Guild add and he answered it. He was among first to answer the add and he then adventured several missions with the guildmaster and guildmistress, proving his scholarly mettle in missions even if he is not strongest combatant by far (his common escape tactic was turn invisible and run). However his scholarly knowledge, magical lore, charm and his wit proved more than useful in many missions. So after handful grand missions he was then granted full membership status and he was then assigned as instructor for new adventurers and work also as registry clerk, archivist and also face diplomat of the Guild when they need someone send out and talk for the Guild. Also he can work on minor magical item crafting whenever he has extensive downtime or when there is need for such trinkets.

OOC Note: Planning to over time qualify for Arcane Savant. Miss skill ranks for UMD, Spellcraft and K:Arcana but in next 2-3 levels plan fill the preqs (and also take magical aptitude). So with craft wondrous Landrik can craft any wondrous device which he meets prerequisite and via UMD he can use scrolls during crafting to complete the item. At least this is long term goal. Also with ST's permission I take Versatile Performer feat, so Landrik is skilled string instrument user, orator, singer and dancer all at once.

Also it was mentioned 'common' does not exist in the setting, so Landrik knows 2 languages which need defined later.

atenai

And it took till page four for bathroom humor to arise... I am impressed. Normally lasting through page one is a trial. :D
~Atenai

Anon315

Rikkan
Ratkin Witch (Hedge Witch)
Basic Information: Rikkan is a healer, formerly of a tribe of ratfolk in the wilds, who sought a life with more stability. Now in a workshop beneath an apothecary, he lives and works when not tending to the wounded and the needs of the guild. Skittish and nervous, he doesn't do well around large groups and so he avoids full meetings of the guild proper, preferring to work through fellow members and go on trips when there was a potential need of his lifesaving skills. He prepares tinctures and salves, aids for the diseased and distressed. He seeks to overcome the stereotype of his people as a bunch of disease-ridden pests by healing the sick and injured, doing all that is possible to maintain the lives of his allies and in truth any whose path he crosses.

Young, though with the wisdom of a hard life overcoming sicknesses which were not even his own, he understands pain and has an aversion to inflicting it. He can hurt no one any more than he could harm himself, which has never meant he couldn't fight. There are ways to stop someone without pain, without death. There are poisons which will put someone under and allow their safe apprehension. There are means to perform almost any task without violence if you have enough forethought and planning. There will always be those who harm, however, and even in the guild he recognizes a need for such actions. His wish is that at some point problems could be resolved peaceably.

kckolbe

About time you found us, Curvy!

Zaer, all I would change is the hiring on as an instructor.  The guild is fairly new, but he could have been one of the first adventurers they hired, and actually been on a mission with Larsen (and amol's character).  Basically, all members of staff have been on at least one mission and earned the right to stay back at the guild.

Anon, I'm not comfortable with the race.  Sorry.

Intro Thread

Anon315

All right, well how about a sylph then? Marginally different attitude, but same overall role.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: kckolbe on October 03, 2013, 03:45:54 PM
Zaer, all I would change is the hiring on as an instructor.  The guild is fairly new, but he could have been one of the first adventurers they hired, and actually been on a mission with Larsen (and amol's character).  Basically, all members of staff have been on at least one mission and earned the right to stay back at the guild.

Aha, edited my post. He was placed as instructor after he was given (earned well) full membership in Guild itself after several missions and he was placed tutor new adventurers (among several other duties in Guild itself).

Florence

Quote from: Ghostwheel on October 03, 2013, 11:43:45 AM

I meant mistakes on the character sheet, but thank you for pointing that out xD;

Those are the worst typos, the ones that spell completely different words so it doesn't show up on spell check when you're tired xD;

Idej

Zaer Darkwail

There are openings so far as I know. There is lot more fresh adventurers than staff members. My char is archivist/knowledge teacher and works also as well rounded diplomat.

Blinkin

That would depend on your sexual orientation and willingness to get your hands dirty.

We have several positions with a number of openings  that can get those creative juices flowing and the heart racing. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Idej

I can do what is needed or wanted.  And I can my hands dirty too. :P

Phaia

okay sorry haven't said anything on a couple of days but here she issss!
*******************************************************************************************

Arainna Storm Daughter

Personality: Ari tends to be quiet and observant yet she is not shy nor introverted. She has been taught to observe and study everything and does so before she comments [high perception]. She likes people in general but understands that good and evil need to be kept in balance. She will often smile as she spots something most others do not which at times can make people think she might be smiling at them. Ari is pretty but her quiet demeanor and soft voice tends to underplay her natural good looks. She is curious and wants to learn about most anything and does not consider sex a bad thing to explore since one has to master their body to include pain and pleasure.

Background: Arainna grew up in a small hamlet [less then 100] of all half-elves, family groups that had settled around a small order of monks. Her father was a ranger and her mother a sorcerer both of whom had been injured in one of the many small wars in the region. Ari took to the structure and order of the monks and learned to be one as they pushed her to excel [trait; elven reflexes]. At home her older brothers became rangers and even one sorcerer and when they were adults went off to make a name for themselves.
Ari spent a great deal of time with her mother and was exposed to magic from a baby as her mother crafted various potions for the hamlet [possible 2nd trait; magic talent?]. [also 2nd favored class-sorcerer]
She waited till she had passed and learned all the monks would teach her then she bid her parents hood by and left. Partly to see the world but also to discover what had happened to her brothers whom no one had heard anything from for almost a decade. [gm hook if disered]

'The Guild'
Arainna found the guild in a very unusual way. She had been washing dishes at an inn in the town and during a mid day lunch break she over heard a couple of men chatting about the first mentioned "I swear I think the one boy does not know which end of a sword is the handle and he claimed to be trained fighter. We were never this bad." "Well," the second responded, "we have several well paying jobs lined up so the Guild needs bodies. you just have to handle it as best you can"

As the two men left Ari took her plates to the back grabbed a couple of the better apples and told the inn keeper she was leaving. As he huffed and bellowed she followed the two men out and down the street as they entered a side door of a building she stepped quickly up and followed them in. As they turned hands dropping to a weapon she bowed, her right fist covered by her left hand. Her voice was soft but clear, "I understand you have need of people to fill jobs...I have need to coin and gear. Since your need fills my need I am here to join"

Phaia

kckolbe

Things are starting to get interesting.  Zaer, looks better.  Anon, sylphs are fine.  Idej, staff positions are far more likely to get accepted right now.  Phaia, interesting character.  I don't think I've ever seen a monk/sorcerer before.

Intro Thread

Phaia

Quote from: kckolbe on October 03, 2013, 09:35:42 PM
Phaia, interesting character.  I don't think I've ever seen a monk/sorcerer before.

I built her based on her background. Considered ranger or druid but seemed a bit clich to go with another wis base class. I do plan on many levels of sorcerer, after with a 12 cha she is limited to 2nd level spells max. though even one level can add some nifty aspects...mage armor...magic weapon which states can enchant a monks unarmed attack.
Have to also admit I was fishing for a second trait.
I also offered you a hook with her brothers that no one has heard anything from for years.

Phaia

kckolbe

I am intrigued by the idea (any idea on bloodline?).  I'll tell ya what.  If you take a level in sorcerer I'll give ya a bonus.  And remember, if you multiclass between the two, you could raise her charisma enough to keep up with her max spell levels.  Additionally, you could go bard, another arcane class that progresses more slowly.

Intro Thread

Faolchu

*looks at the PC list on the front page*

Good think I'm taking Extra Channel, since I'm the only dedicated healer :)
No.

Phaia

Problem with raising her cha high enough is not enough attribute advances... best could do might be  14 OR 15 since i plan on increasing dex to 18 with first not only for the extra ac but she has weapon finesse which can be applied to unarmed combat

as for bloodline..probally stormborn...i forgot to note she was born at the height of a powerful storm and stormborns adds shock to a weapon adding more into her monk damage

i did also consider a monk/witch combo...  weird yes but had an idea for one
oh was the intor on how she found the guild okay...i had considred having her wander the building a bit looking around she does have a 12 perception so she is very good at spotting things

Yea Faolchu a healer...**makes note to self Protect the healer**

Phaia

kckolbe

Actually, I recommend playing with the race builder.  I bet you could start with cha 2 higher and still be at or under 10 points.

Intro Thread

Phaia

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Phaia

I was really really consdiering a teifling *hugs her tail* Monk but you had conserns about ashimer which are as powerful race point wise

I will check it out!!

Phaia

kckolbe

Multiple people are playing aasimar, just modified down to 10 points.  You can do the same with your concept as well.

Intro Thread

Anon315

Quote from: Faolchu on October 03, 2013, 10:16:45 PM
*looks at the PC list on the front page*

Good think I'm taking Extra Channel, since I'm the only dedicated healer :)

I'm a Hedge Witch. I am the most dedicated healer there is. (Currently being reworked into "not a ratfolk")

Would this work for a race?
Underhuman
Humanoid (0 RP)
Medium, Normal Speed, Standard Linguist, Race Language: Undercommon (0 RP)
Flexible Stats (+2 Dex, +2 Int) (2 RP)
Lucky, Lesser (+1 Saving Throws) (2 RP)
Poison Use (1 RP)
Stalker (Perception + Stealth - Always Class Skills) (1 RP)
Flexible Bonus Feat (4 RP)

An intertwining of the human and dark folk races led to this blend of their two bloods which closely resemble humans of pale complexion. They are quick-witted and nimble, and have a penchant for the use of poisons. Their continued survival relies upon a mixture of an inborn luck, and a knowledge of how to stay hidden and spot danger.

Phaia

;D

Do we have to modify a dwarf since by the charts they are a RP11?
I thought about dropping strength to  10 and going with a 14 cha but felt losing the +1 damage and +1 to ht with weapons with no starting gear and not sure on getting what we want in packs ...was not a good idea

by the way  a suggestion for ya since we are being limited in gear ...a freebie feat would be very helpful!

hmmm let me look i really wasnt that concerned with the multitalented, low light vision and elf blood!

Phaia

kckolbe

Dwarves are fine as is.  Good question, though.

As for gear: the reason you are limited on gear and money is to encourage you to remedy that.  You all have a free skill point that can be used to make money.  Consider that.

Intro Thread

Florence

We need more dwarves <3 They're Meredith's favorite sort of people.

Phaia

are we closed yet cause after looking at the racial build stuff i may makie a few changes

Phaia

Blinkin

Well, if you wanted dwarves, you should of checked the dwarf dedicated game I'm about to start. lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Blinkin

Question about skill based income.

If you have multiple skills that produce income, can you use more than one a week? As an example, crafting and profession? or Crafting and Performance, Profession and performance and so on?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Florence

Quote from: Blinkin on October 04, 2013, 04:01:22 AM
Well, if you wanted dwarves, you should of checked the dwarf dedicated game I'm about to start. lol

I saw it, but I really wanted to play Meredith, and I don't have time for any more games atm xD

kckolbe

Quote from: Anon315 on October 03, 2013, 10:52:15 PM
I'm a Hedge Witch. I am the most dedicated healer there is. (Currently being reworked into "not a ratfolk")

Would this work for a race?
Underhuman
Humanoid (0 RP)
Medium, Normal Speed, Standard Linguist, Race Language: Undercommon (0 RP)
Flexible Stats (+2 Dex, +2 Int) (2 RP)
Lucky, Lesser (+1 Saving Throws) (2 RP)
Poison Use (1 RP)
Stalker (Perception + Stealth - Always Class Skills) (1 RP)
Flexible Bonus Feat (4 RP)

An intertwining of the human and dark folk races led to this blend of their two bloods which closely resemble humans of pale complexion. They are quick-witted and nimble, and have a penchant for the use of poisons. Their continued survival relies upon a mixture of an inborn luck, and a knowledge of how to stay hidden and spot danger.

This race works at a glance, but I would like some kind of physical description first.

Phaia, you have time to work on races, will allow until Sunday for finished concepts (which will include race).  Finished character sheets won't be due yet, though.

Crafting will be done by actually crafting items and attempting to sell them, to teammates or vendors (or the guild).  Profession and perform will be basic rolls, with some modifiers based on the details of your "work."  If you possess a profession and perform, you may roll each and take the highest result.

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Although perform skill allows do it's check like in full day performance or evening around so. While as profession roll always takes full week. But I am fine that you can roll both and take highest result/gold gain from one (so thanks multiple profession/perform skills you have more stable and solid income to get maximum possible gain what you could get, instead placing all income eggs to one basket).

Blinkin

In theory, actually crafting things takes a significant amount of time. Arrows can be produced in a day, but a suit of chainmail might take several weeks before you can complete it, and for minimal profit, even if you can get 70% of it's actual value.

On the other hand, profession/performance rolls, for a week of work, will net more in the long run. You could do a commission process for characters and get partial, if not full payment in advance, but the characters are still looking at potential weeks of wait

I'm not complaining, just pointing out the difficulties. Lets not get into what spell casters who can enchant items will make for a couple of days of work. Staffers are almost set to take creat magical weapons/armor or iems at next level. They need Masterworked items, but how many will be set up to do theier own crafting?

Anyway, just thoughts.

As both skills have a weekly roll to allow for income, and both require, in theory, a full days work for a full day's pay, can you do both crafting and a profession roll at the same time?

Example (Ignoring masterwork as few would be able to make those roles consistantly at 1st level), say the average cost of a weapon (the less expensive of the high income skills) is 10GP. Or, 100 SP. Making average rolls, will take at least 2 weeks of work for a cost of 3 GP, 3SP and 4 CP. If you got 1/2 of it's value, you made less than 1.5 GP for two weeks of work.

On the other hand, a single profession roll might net you, with an average roll, 5 or 6 GP a week. There's still a flaw there. True, the more expensive items, the more you'll make, but it'll be hard to make money that way.

Ideally, selling weapons/armor to other characters would be best, but that would be commission work. Selling to those who enchant would be better, but that gives an enchanter the potential of huge amounts of income for a couple of days of work for what is a couple of days of work, once someone can reliabbly make masterwork items for them.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Zaer Darkwail

Landrik (my char) has craft wondrous items already and later he becomes arcane savant so anyone who can scribe spells for him from divine and arcane spell lists benefits a lot donating some spells to him as he can craft trinkets (as he can take 10 on UMD checks since level 1 as arcane savant). So bardic artificer :P.

Ebb

Just speaking as your average bloodthirsty paladin, it seems like "kill bad guys, take their stuff" is going to be a lot more profitable, at least after a couple of levels. Until you run out of bad guys with stuff. But when does that ever happen?

kckolbe

"Kill guys, take their stuff" is a time-tested way to make money.  While I am tempted to roll this into Profession: Conquistador, I'll likely handle it via missions.  Bear in mind that even adventurers will have down time, both between and (much more rarely) during missions.

Also, bit of a restate, but missions will not be significantly profitable for the PCs (though at first level, nothing else will be, either).

Intro Thread

Blinkin

I thought that creat items and weapon/armor required 5 caster levels. How did you get 5 caster levels out of 4 levels?

Nevermind, I forgot the trait... Congrads.. Now you just need someone to craft the items to enchant. You have to have a trinket befoe you can enchant it... I wonder if I can change crafting to gold or silver smith... lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

kckolbe

Blinkin, to answer your crafting issue, we are going to increase crafting speed significantly, and masterwork will now be a scaling term, with low end masterwork items very craftable at first level.

Intro Thread

Blinkin

Ah, A trial run I did with the old rules, taking 10 on a longsword took 6 weeks. I know in the real world, it takes about 3 days at the outside... seen it done... but that's RL vs RP, so...

I'm still thinking about changing the crafting skill to jewelrer or "goldsmith" Or, would jeweler cover that too? Could be a market in rings, broaches and so on if an enchanter wanted to do business. ;) Small returns, but really short turn around times.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, traits and also favored class bonuses can give +1 CL needed for craft magic weapons&armor. There is little crafting involved with craft wondrous items (cloaks/vests for resistance items, goggles for visual improving magic items etc). Anyways I vote Jeweler profession to handle all crafting relating to jewelry (rings, medallions, earrings, bracers etc).

Blinkin

Ok then, since we seem to have an armorer and weapon smith already (other than me), I'll change the craft skill to jeweler. It would suit her better anyway.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

And my bow.

(Taking Craft: Bows for m'self.)

Countdown0

Cadrim has Craft: Calligraphy, and Profession: Scribe. Also, as a Wizard, he has scribe scrolls from level 1, and I plan on taking "Craft Wand" at level 5, and probably more item creation feats later on. So he can provide other people with magic. Of course, he's evil, so convincing him to help your character out might not be the easiest thing to do :P

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Blinkin

That's why you pay for work.. it doesn't matter if he's good or evil, it's profit. As for price, the "I'll just go across the street and pay the other character for the same work at a better price" keeps the vil from taking too much advantge of anyone.

So... You wanna enchant this ring for me for a fair price, or I go over there and get it for the same price, but he was less of an asshole about it?" *grins*

Evil doesn't equate to overly dense about doing business.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Countdown0

True. But we have at least 1 paladin applied so far. They might not want help from him.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

CurvyKitten

Sorry I haven't been actively chatting in the ooc goodness, but I have simply trying to get a good concept going. I am playing with the idea of a Ranger, yet I want play a different and somewhat interesting race. So I have been reading over the books to find something fun. That is if I didn't miss seeing some sort of restriction posted in the thread...?

Lockepick

I have also been quiet! Apologies there!

Once I know our group is locked in, I plan on being a bit more vocal about strategy, but for what it's worth: Slatemane took Craft (Alchemy) as his freebie craft. I noticed he's the only rogue in our group -- which is fine. He's got all the Stealth/Perception/Disable Device to disable traps and open locks. Though for Perception -- he does have an 8 Wisdom.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Countdown0

Quote from: CurvyKitten on October 04, 2013, 05:44:43 PM
Sorry I haven't been actively chatting in the ooc goodness, but I have simply trying to get a good concept going. I am playing with the idea of a Ranger, yet I want play a different and somewhat interesting race. So I have been reading over the books to find something fun. That is if I didn't miss seeing some sort of restriction posted in the thread...?

Hey Curvy :D

So far from what I've seen, you can just pick a race, and the GM's will tell you if they are okay with it. You can even create a race, but again, it would be subject to approval by the GMs, and I'm sure that they don't want all of us playing a created race. Right now though, lockepick is the only one with a player made race.

We also don't have a ranger that I'm aware of, so it would definitely be a welcome addition =D

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Blinkin

*waves from the comfy chair by the roaring fire in the study* Hey, I may not be great at finding traps and stuff, but I'm a rogue too... well, I have sneaky, sneaky skills and not bad with locks... I'm just too snooty to admit that I'm a rogue and call myself a light fighter... lol

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

kckolbe

Player-made races are fine as long as they don't feel exotic.  Humans in D&D seem to have shagged everything, so I am pretty flexible on "near-human" races.

Intro Thread

Blinkin

It may be as much a "Everything has shagged a human" as the other way around. We're not a race of sluts, you know. ;) We do have limits or we might see half-zombies running around. *shutters* ick.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Phaia

okay if what you are saying is that crafting is gonna be a lot faster does that over come profession... i mean we are starting penniless...being a monk no big deal for me but i do not want to carry a fight when the warrior types have no weapons to speak of.

As an example aria is gonna want a good meal before anything since we have no money that means we have been barely surviving...honest question here ...why would any guild what to hire people that are so broke they do not even have a dagger?

I am not interested in rping  aweek of crafting or performing unless theer are reasons to and as it stands i am gonna drop her perform on the best roll possible she will make a gold or 2 for a days work. an average roll will be coppers or maybe a silver or 2. my suggestion woukd be instead of a single point why not the feat skill focus but only applied to a craft...perfom..profession since with that and a profession ya can make maybe 10gp a week

I am gonna give this A chance but after reading the rules onn profession/craft/perform and then on things like meals..living quarters. I am not sure just normal stuff would make enough to outfit a normal character. and you want to limit the loot. hun we will take the clothes...boots... belts..rugs etc...it will add up.

take blinkin does his character have theif tools? a weapon? from what i am getting we have basically the clothes on our backs [worth what 10gp so may trade down there lol]

my monk needs very little...a good meal... some nice cloths and slippers...and a bedroll maybe a nice monk weapon but then a long peice of wood can be a quarter staff.

sorry rmbling a bit was a busy day...

and blinkin i was interested in the drwaf group you still have openings?

Phaia

kckolbe

All characters will start with provided gear and a small amount of gold for incidentals.  The guild hires people that are broke because only broke people would agree to the terms of the guild (ie we train you a bit and outfit you then take a huge chunk of anything you make).

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, Guild provides all your starting gear basically and has provided training, resources and information. In return Guild will tax you a lot in coming stuff but not too much so it would not appear profitable choice for you.

*sits sadly in reception desk as sole staff member*

Phaia

do they supply living quarters? food?..training past 2nd /3rd level? horses for travel?

i am gonna do a major change in the character...still a monk but pushing wis and dex and dropping other attributes.
can i keep the half elf aspect but change some of the racial traits....like droping multitalented for something else?

Phaia

kckolbe

They supply all of those things to limited extent.  After all, training is pretty much done by experience.  Training in a new class, however, can be arranged.  Also, changing the character is fine.

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

I think Guild provides food and housing; they tax it directly from your mission reward money to able provide simple but decent housing and food like porridge in morning as part of breakfast, simple meal and later a warm dinner. Also provide training much as they can tutor you (my char does not have many ranks though but I doubt many get so wide berth knowledge in 1st level and he provides item identification services and other lore even if you have little to nothing learn from him anymore).

Anyways you can trade multitalented away, there are race creation points which give it value and you can pick something else what makes sense to you. So long RP (race points) do not go past 10 (dwarfs got 11 but they are okay race). Also there are variant racial traits listed under every race and no doubt some quirk trades multitalented away.

Blinkin

Things are a little confusing at the moment, and I'm not entirely sure on how creating magical items will work in this... aside from weapons and armor, none of the items listed offer anything on exactly how they are done... In the rings, there's a feat specifically for creating rings... but then, where does the ring itself come from? Thin air? Similar questions about other items such as the basis of the haversack and so on... But, hit that wall head first when it comes up... You can always sell jewerly to shop owners or from a box on a strap about the neck... "Cigars, Cigarettes, Gum.." Or, "Rings, Necklaces, hatpins..."

I still want a Handy Haversack spell on an Adventurer's Sash... It would just be so cool! lol

I'm assuming that eventually, characters can create their own homes and so on if they earn enough... it's about more than just survival and where you sleep that night. More than aquiring stuff, but at the same time, stuff is nice. ;)

My dwarven game is currently full, but depending on the results on my little experiment, slots may be opening up before the game even begins. I'm reluctant to have players who disregard the posting requirements from the start...

Anyway, if you are interested, I can put you on a waiting list for slots. These games always have players disappearing fairly quickly.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Countdown0

Blinkin, creating a magical ring requires a normal ring, as well as the material components of the spell whose effects are being applied to the ring.

The same is true of all magical items. However, creating magical items also takes time, but for the sake of streamlining the game a little bit, shortening the time to make a solid item or to enchant by a substantial margin might be necessary.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

CurvyKitten

I was thinking something fun like the Tengu, but the whole bird head would make smexy time a little awkward so I thought with her being half Tengu (or something like that)  she could look a bit more like this...

Or possible more like Siren from final fantasy hehe. But that is kind of what is peaking my interest at the moment. I'd freely work with the stats would be acceptable of course. Just wanting it more for the fun of rping it. heheimg]

Lockepick

As far as I understand, the reason that it's not clear how Magic Item Creation will work is because the GM hasn't explained it yet. He's only mentioned he will be doing something different -- unless I missed it, I don't think there has been details. I presume he's still working on it.

Phaia

kc are you changing the crafting rules intireily? its not the time that bothers me but the DC checks. to make a simple short sword is a dc 15 check... if ari has craft weapon..+1int+3 trained+1 rank = 5 so she would need a roll of 10 or better...doable  yet to make a masterwork is a dc 20 and 100gp in minerals extra as well as a second roll by the current crafting rules if fail by 5 or more you loose the material aand have to start over. I cant see how a low level crater could make a masterwork weapon without failing a bunch of times which drives up the price.

its not about the time but making the rolls thats why i suggested a skill focus instead of the single point or maybe if ya spent  a skill point in craft/perfom/profession ya get skill focus

Phaia

Lockepick

I'm not sure what the aversion is. If the adjustment to the system doesn't create higher DCs -- I don't think anything stops you from taking different Crafts/Professions/Perform. You could put 3 ranks in 6 skills, if you wanted -- the equivalent of Skill Focus 6 times, assuming you didn't already want to max it out before this.

I want to say one of the books out there has rules for increasing the DC to lower the time -- another reason to want higher than the base DC of 15.

I think we're reading too much into a system that KC hasn't posted yet.

Ebb

I agree that "wait and see" is the best approach for both the mundane and the magic crafting stuff. I'm sure KC will present the full system when it's completely cooked.

Besides, to my mind 1st level adventurers really aren't meant to make a comfortable living through either Craft or Profession. They're just starting out, and they've all spent most of their time learning whatever their class is. Being able to make some stuff is a nice extra, but there's no reason you should be as good as the village smithy who's been doing this for years and years. That's all he's got, man, and he's not exactly living in a castle.

There has to be some reason why we're risking life and limb to go through the Guild's mandatory three missions. If we could do just as well by sitting at home and weaving baskets then we'd be kind of foolish to go risk our necks. But instead we're all at a place in our lives where selling ourselves into indentured servitude makes sense -- the way I read it, that's kind of the point of the whole setup. Finding good ways to get rich through other means seems a little bit like denying the premise of the game.

Blinkin

I would agree that too much is being read into the crafting issues. I ws just speaking about the rules festablished by Pathfinder. You can decrease the amount of time by giving yourself a +10 Difficulty, but you can take 10 on the skill checks, so you can craft difficulty 15 items at 1st level, even if you are restricted to a low INT and a single skill rank (As the rules limit you). With 1 skill rank and +1 from Int, that is a 5. Taking 10 makes the 15... You will take longer to craft the item, but you can do it with pretty much certainty. Masterwork is another issue and 1st level characters aren't suppose to be able to craft them yet. There are, of course, a number of feats and traits that add significantly to crafting, but most consider them pointless as most games don't even allow for the down time to do the crafting, that can take weeks for armors and weapons. Still, if you wanted it, you could do it.

My question about magical items is that there's no real consistant rules on the items that you're enchanting beyond armor and swords. I assume that any item must be masterworked quality, adding 50GP to the cost... or 1/3 of that. Depending on what the spell requires... a 100 GP diamond, for example, could be built into the item easily enough... and it doesn't take all that long to enchant. 8 hours for each +1, so time isn't a factor in the enchanting issue so much... Just getting the Masterworked item to use.

On the bright side, for all of the work, you could get a +1 item for a little more than 1/2 value, depending on how greedy the character wants to be... in time. Profession or Performance rolls will produce more incomce early on, but it would be hard to do both crafting and profession together.

Taking 10 on profession gives you at least 5 GP a week, enough to eat on, and straight craft rolls can give you the same. It's the return on time that makes crafting less attractive under the old rules; particulary when you were limited to 1/2 it's value in earnings. You spend 1/3 the cost of the item to make it, takes weeks, and get less than 1/4 the value in profit. A standard longsword may take 2 or 3 weeks at 1st level, but you only get 2 or 3 GP for that time.

I'm sure that the new rules and options will improve on that, just not sure if anyone will put the effort in unless the return is more favorable than 1/2 of value.f
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Phaia

You said that much better then i did Blinkin. of course I doubt you are chasing a 3 year old that refuses to go too sleep!!

anyway I am going with a profession which builds on my wis bonus which should be +3

Phaia

Blinkin

I will trade you the three year old for a 3 year old labby, a 5 year old labby and a 8 year old feline... Try getting them to settle down when they want to play. ;)

I know what you're going through. My first fiance had a set of twin 4 year old girls. If you actually got one in bed, the other was under the bed, in the closet, chasing the cat, bouncing on YOUR bed, etc, etc, etc. lol I actually miss them sometimes, even if they are nearly 20 now... it doesn't seem that long ago.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Phaia

when designing a race can we use advanced traits as long as the point total stays no more then 10?

Phaia

Anon315

As he has limited us to 10 RP, which is a Standard race, I think we should be limited to standard abilities, not advanced or monstrous.

kckolbe

Lots to catch up on.  This is one downside to being overseas.  Most of the time I am awake no one is on, but every time I sleep I fall behind.

Long post, please read carefully:

I do not currently have plans to change the rules for magical crafting.  Magical crafting is already profitable, useful and much faster than standard crafting, so requires less help.  I am changing masterwork crafting.  It will not be easier, but it will be far more useful AND far more profitable.  To give an example of the current draft, a +2 masterwork longsword would require 5 ranks in craft: weaponsmithing (or two ranks and skill focus), a DC of 25, would require twice the time as a normal longsword, would cost 1,005 gp in materials, and would cost approximately 3015g to buy from a vendor.  This does two things for the players that the old system did not.  1)Masterwork bonuses go beyond +1, have different kinds of bonuses, and stack with bonuses from magical enchantment.  2) The time to craft the item is no longer directly tied to the final cost of the item.

Now, given the significant DCs, having skill focus in crafting makes sense if you want to pursue this, just like magical crafting requires feats to be useful at that.  These feats will not be free, though.  After all, crafting can grant significant bonuses from gear (there are rules for armor and tools as well). 

In addition to this, we are still discussing base crafting times.  The silver piece rule, in my mind, and amol's as well, takes too damn long, but we are trying to decide where to actually set it.  We are currently leaning toward twice the price in gold (making crafting five times faster), but have not officially decided.

I am sure you probably have a lot of other questions, but I don't want folks getting hung up on one house rule that has already been the most frequently discussed topic.  Those of you who have played in my games in the past (as GM or co GM) should know that I value the tone of a game above individual rules, and I always set out an expectation of gameplay.  I feel like a lot of players have *not* been paying attention to the desired tone and expectations in their concepts and questions.

Quote from: Ebb on October 04, 2013, 10:07:07 PM
There has to be some reason why we're risking life and limb to go through the Guild's mandatory three missions. If we could do just as well by sitting at home and weaving baskets then we'd be kind of foolish to go risk our necks. But instead we're all at a place in our lives where selling ourselves into indentured servitude makes sense -- the way I read it, that's kind of the point of the whole setup. Finding good ways to get rich through other means seems a little bit like denying the premise of the game.

This is very close to what I have been trying to convey.  The confusion, and I am a bit responsible for this, is that I do want players trying to get rich/powerful/famous through other means, just not at level 1.  I am putting you guys on fast xp progression (medium for staff).  You will level.  You will be given opportunities to make names for yourselves.  Note that you are only required to do three missions.  After that, you can do whatever you want.  There will be more missions (though perhaps not enough), but I do want the control of PC destiny to slowly move from my hands into yours.  Your characters will start off broke, weak and with no contacts, forcing them to accept the shit deal that they are offered.  With each mission they complete, their situation changes significantly.  As players, embrace those changes.

To give two examples, think about the guildmasters and staffmembers.  Staff members did their three missions and then decided to just not take any more (at least for a while).  They are still part of the guild, but now it is by choice, and they live more comfortable (if less exciting) lives.  Guildmasters did their time as random adventurers until they realized that they had the resources to start their own project and control their own destiny. 

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Quote from: CurvyKitten on October 04, 2013, 08:17:46 PM
I was thinking something fun like the Tengu, but the whole bird head would make smexy time a little awkward so I thought with her being half Tengu (or something like that)  she could look a bit more like this...

Or possible more like Siren from final fantasy hehe. But that is kind of what is peaking my interest at the moment. I'd freely work with the stats would be acceptable of course. Just wanting it more for the fun of rping it. heheimg]

I can't tell how much of that is supposed to be wings.  Tengu are such an odd race by themselves.  They have wings, yet cannot fly, nor can they even jump farther like most other flightless birds.  Physically, they have so little in common with humans. 

I think that I would rather prefer a player-created winged human race.  The race builder has two standard traits that involve wings, one that allows characters to glide down from jumps (3 RP), and another that gives a +4 bonus on Fly checks (2 RP).  If you want I can PM you a couple of winged human race templates.

What were you thinking of, class wise?  Also, staff or adventurer?

Intro Thread

Ershin

My apologies for not posting in this thread for a while, but may I ask how much longer prospective applicants have to get sheets and backgrounds in?
My internet's been cut (quite literally in fact, some idiots doing work on the road cut the cable) and my only source at the minute is my phone, the data plan on which won't last forever so I'm a bit limited and a little concerned about using it as a WiFi hotspot for my computer. Trying to get a sheet site like Plothook or Mythweavers to work on the phone is an effort in frustration, so I'm just wondering if I should keep attempting to do so at an excruciatingly slow pace on the phone or if I'd have time to see if the fault gets fixed

kckolbe

You have until the end of the day Sunday to submit your basic concept (race, class, general notes).  You'll have about another week after that for a finished sheet.

Intro Thread

Ershin

Thanks for the info, Kckolbe.

I was considering making a human Summoner with the Synthesist archetype.
The basic background as far as I've figured out for her is that she's a descendant of a great hero, a valiant and courageous Paladin who lived many centuries ago and was tasked by the crown to guard an expedition to the north of the region to establish a frontier town along with a small contingient of soldiers. For the first few years while the town was being constructed things were mostly fine, with the odd gnoll raid beaten back by the town guards and the ancestor. Fast forward a decade or two and the settlement is thriving, a jewel amidst the wilderness, with the gnolls having been quiet for quite some time. In truth, they were martialling their forces so that they may overwhelm the town's protectors and take the villagers as slaves or meat, even use the settlement itself as a stepping stone on their way further south into the heart of the kingdom.
Basically she was a combination of Joan of Arc and Leonidus. The horde was defeated, but at the cost of her life. Not a single civilian was harmed due to the acts of her and her comrades, and eventually she was considered a saint, a shrine raised for her in the town as it grew and expanded.

Present day, her descendant is able to call upon the spirit of her valiant ancestor to take over her body, changing it into her form from when she was alive (I have yet to decide if the whole "Eidolons can't wear armor" thing means she'll be nude, or if she'll always have her armor due to the natural armor they get). While wearing the skin of her ancestor, the Summoner's mind would likely take a back seat, channelled by the Eidolon to manifest spells and such when required as she doesn't want another of her bloodline to see the horrors of combat.

---

Then again, I'd also considered applying as part of the Staff with a Mysterious Stranger archetype Gunslinger... Maybe a Kensai/Bladebound Magus (no need for armor.  :-* ).
So many choices! Not only as far as Pathfinder stuff goes but also guild positions.

Actually, would you rather have an adventurer or staff application at this point?

Zaer Darkwail

I think there is overwhelming amount of adventurers but there is only my char in the Staff. So if you apply as staff member (think some good work/duty for her), then her spot is guaranteed. As it has been mentioned, being staff member does not mean you may end up sitting in guild 24/7.

Also even if my char is one instructors, he is not master of martial combat nor ranged combat. At best he is well educated scholar and scribe.

kckolbe

Zaer is correct that there is simply a higher chance of being accepted as staff since there are less applicants than open spots.

As for your character concept, it is actually extremely similar in concept to that of Luna's (until the eidolon part, that is).  You may want to coordinate shared ancestors.  She is playing an oracle with the ancestor mystery.

Unfortunately, all three classes you've expressed interest in are ones I've been uncomfortable with and would be slightly nerfing.  I've already told danz that summoners would be subject to "nerfing" and this would definitely apply to the synthesist.  I would be flexible in how these nerfs were applied (ask lockepicke, whose class has already been adjusted).  In the case of the kensai, it would just be a slight adjustment.  Bladebound looks fine as is.  Gunslinger is slightly too powerful for my comfort level, but synthesist would be very significant, as that makes one harder to kill than a barbarian.

Sorry if this ruins your plans.  You may have an extra day or two to work on your concept if you like.

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

The extra hardiness of synthesis comes from fact that you need kill 'eidolon' before you can harm the summoner who is perfectly safe inside the eidolon (and the summoner can sacrifice HP to keep eidolon active).

If want reduce the survival curve of synthesist summoner then simply make eidolon and summoner's HP same; if eidolon reaches 0 HP so is the summoner (and if half HP before eidolon called away so is the summoner and if summoner gets hurt and then calls in synthesis form, eidolon HP is reduced). But the summoner gets all other perks for being possessed by eidolon.

Just my thought.

kckolbe

I'll see what she wants out of the classes and see if a compromise can be reached.  Or she may just end up going with another class.

Intro Thread

CurvyKitten

Quote from: kckolbe on October 05, 2013, 05:39:41 AM
I can't tell how much of that is supposed to be wings.  Tengu are such an odd race by themselves.  They have wings, yet cannot fly, nor can they even jump farther like most other flightless birds.  Physically, they have so little in common with humans. 

I think that I would rather prefer a player-created winged human race.  The race builder has two standard traits that involve wings, one that allows characters to glide down from jumps (3 RP), and another that gives a +4 bonus on Fly checks (2 RP).  If you want I can PM you a couple of winged human race templates.

What were you thinking of, class wise?  Also, staff or adventurer?

No I think I will try and find something else, there are already some Aasimar types proposed. Hmm....isn't there a cat like race...LOL Maybe I should just be something simple. hehe

Oh and I was thinking Ranger, I don't think I have ever actually played one of those. May be fun. And I don't think there is one yet~ goes to go check the list again~

Ershin

Quote from: kckolbe on October 06, 2013, 09:20:38 AM
I'll see what she wants out of the classes and see if a compromise can be reached.  Or she may just end up going with another class.

Well, with the Summoner what I had been looking for was a weak individual summoning the shell of a strong one so they could go out into the world and make Justice (capital J) happen, but since you're saying you're not okay with the class after saying on page 1 that's it was okay to apply with it, that's fine.

I'm also not sure why you think Gunslingers are overly powerful to the point of not permitting them (again after saying they were viable on page 1), but whatevs. :)

What were the changes you were thinking about making with the Kensai? They already seem to lose a lot from their diminished spellcasting, so...?
Also, is it okay to use the rules that permit you to use multiple archetypes so long as they don't replace the same features, for which the bladebound/kensai options apply?

kckolbe

Quote from: kckolbe on September 30, 2013, 05:07:33 PM
I've received a lot of questions regarding "questionable" classes here and in PM, both third party and even some from within paizo that have "bad reputations."  After giving it some minor thought, my answer is yes, though I will nerf these submitted classes (if the character is chosen) before playing to avoid regretting them.  Cuts will be arbitrary (as some classes may appear stronger to me than others), and I will listen to the opinions of other players, but I want to make sure that any 3rd party or potentially overpowered classes are being chosen for the right reasons.

I've seen more than one pathfinder game turn into an arms race, where players kept requesting class conversions and outside rules until the game was no fun as player or GM. 

This is the only post I recall making on page one where I mentioned classes, and in this post I said that I would nerf these classes.  I'm not sure why you feel I am going back on any promises.

Intro Thread

Ershin

My apologies, your post on this page mentioned nerfing rather than flat out banning, I misread. At the same time, it'd be nice to know what you had in mind rather than learning of it after havine one's heart set on a class and finding out what you think of is a cool concept in the initial rules is something that you've considered nerfing. Or giving extra feats in the case of certain Rogue archetypes as I recall. :)

That said, may I ask again what you were thinking of changing with the Kensai Magus archetype?

kckolbe

I feel that canny defense offers the AC bonus too quickly.  I would prefer that the cap on Int bonus added to AC increased every three levels as opposed to every level.  In addition to slowing down the progression, this would cap the total Int bonus to +6.

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Well, I have to admit that I didn't expect this, but I just don't have enough players that I really want to take in order to make this game work.  I'm sorry to the ones who put in an effort, but I am going to call this game off.

Intro Thread

Ghostwheel

Ershin

Quote from: kckolbe on October 06, 2013, 03:21:56 PM
Well, I have to admit that I didn't expect this, but I just don't have enough players that I really want to take in order to make this game work.  I'm sorry to the ones who put in an effort, but I am going to call this game off.
Out of the twelve adventurer applicants there's not enough you like to start the game, even with like a minimum number for a party? Isn't that a little rude to the people who applied (not me since my concept wasn't completed) considering they might think their applications weren't worth anything?

Ah well, ultimately it's the decision of the person running the game if they feel up to it or not.

In any case, I hope you have fun either playing in or running games in the future. :)

Zaer Darkwail

Huh? Not enough peeps?! I found it tough to run game for around eight people plus now twelve + staff members?!

Either your serious or joking about it, I would suspect other reasons than 'too little amount players'.

But we can't force you run either if you do not feel up to it although it's pity as there was some solid interests here :-/ . I am busy myself with 2 games I run so I can't pick this up either.

Florence

I have to echo the sentiments of the others here...

This rp has one of the biggest turnouts I've seen on Elliquiy...

I mean, its your game, but... if this isn't enough people, you seriously might want to consider lowering your expectations for now on, as I'd call this a hugely successful recruitment.

Ershin

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on October 06, 2013, 04:20:37 PM
Huh? Not enough peeps?! I found it tough to run game for around eight people plus now twelve + staff members

It looks like it's not so much "not enough players", but rather "not enough players he liked". :P

Florence

Well, if this game is canned, I need to find another way to get my Pathfinder fix :\

Blinkin

I would also have to wonder about the not enough players thing. But then, there was mention of not enough interest in staff, so I guess that is where the sticky point was. Although, I thought that staff would be a fairly small number to begin with, if required at all, as compared to the dozen adventuring characters with a surprising spread of classes.

Still, it's the GM's call and I wish everyone luck with their future RP and/or GMing. It was fun while it lasted. Disappointing in the end, but fun.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Oh, lord!  Two in one day! 

*lower lip trembles* 

*Shrugs* 

Good luck, KC. 

Phaia

well hell's bells!!!

okayy guess  I wont need to say i was keeping my race and background just the way it was with the ony change being from a perform skill to a profession or cfart skill

hmmm

Phaia