News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Seeking Guided Freeform Superhero Story (full)

Started by AribethAmkiir, January 04, 2012, 02:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheVillain

Indeed, I apologize for not being clear- I'm not saying that we should declare magic characters off limits. Just that we shouldn't make ALL magic characters. :P
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Aybara

Well as I mentioned before I'm some what interested in making a green lantern style character, not a copy paste of any exact green lantern but their powers aren't based on magic just crazy super science but I'll muddle around with ideas tonight and see if anything strikes me.

Vaulera

You answered my question quite adequately. I would be willing to help gm, but in the end it would be up to you to actually make the decisions, it being your game. I would be playing but co-gm might suite me better, giving advice and such. It's up to you. As for the origin of my character, are extra-terrestrials allowed?

AribethAmkiir

That'd be great.  I could use people with experience who'd be willing to council me through this attempt.

Aybara - I don't see why a Green Lantern type character wouldn't work.  There are many things out there that could grant such powers.  What is it about the Green Lantern Core that you want to emulate?  Just the powers or the universe-wide police force, thing?   I'm hoping to keep it limited to Earth, at least until I get my feet under me and feel like I'm capable of something larger. 

That being said, I don't see why we couldn't have extra-terrestrial origin based characters in the game.  If we've got characters who are thousands of years old, we could have extra-terrestrials.  They should just keep a low profile and be capable of blending in to normal society.

AribethAmkiir

Character Name: Mellissa Gethlam

Alias The Morrígan

Height: normally: 5’8” (varies)

Weight: unknown (varies)

Age: Unknown.  She typically appears to be in her early 20s. (varies)  If she is the “real” Morrígan, the earliest historical account occurs in a Latin gloss from the 9th century.

History : Few know she truly is The Morrígan from legends, or at least the person the legends were based upon.  It is a touchy subject with her, especially the stories which vilify her such as the Arthurian romances.   Despite the legends, she is but a human being born with extraordinary psionic potential which displayed itself in the ability to shape-shift.   She is, in fact, over a thousand years old.

Born of Celtic ancestry, she was one of the last “Goddesses” born before the human revolt that heralded the end of Mythology.  For those who remember, she sided with the humans.  For her part, she was happy to allow her name to be all-but-forgotten.  Since the time of the European Renaissance, she has worked hand-in-hand with others like her to cover up their existence.   While their efforts were largely successful, evidence did survive.  Now, in the current age, certain government agencies are aware of the existence of what they now call Super-humans.  How much these agencies truly know concerning the God's ancient secrets is something even Morrígan isn’t fully aware of.

With her abilities, she has changed identities and remade herself too many times to count.  She has accumulated and wasted more wealth than the average human could dream of.  In the early 1920s, she decided to toss everything away and begin again.  Ninety years later, she has again accrued a substantial bit of wealth and means though nothing to rival her previous holdings. 

It is only in recent years that those who know the true history of the world have heard her name whispered once more.  She has begun to recruit a team of super-humans for an unknown purpose.  It is possible that she has uncovered something in her long life that she is now preparing for, or it is possible she’s simply started a new hobby.

Powers:  Morrígan is a shape-shifter (the stories got that much right).  She is capable of taking on the form of another human, real or imagined, permanently or temporarily.  She is also capable of changing into any animal (including those mythological beasts which are now extinct.)  She has such finite control of her abilities that she is capable of complete cell regeneration effectively stopping the aging process.  Due to her heritage, her body’s natural reflexes, speed, and strength are all at the peak of human perfection.  She has mastered most martial art forms in her long life and is well trained in both modern and ancient weapons.

Robyn Hood

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on January 05, 2012, 10:08:43 PM
But we don't need to focus on psionic pontential.  There are magical creatures out there, and things that go "bump" in the night (or bump Robyn in the night). 

>_< I'm okay with any character background, as I have done superhero RPs before and they basically have always run the gambit including magic. Someone wants to be an angel, demon, ancient wizard, alien, radiation mutant... whatever gets you excited ^_^

Vaulera

I believe you meant to say emulate, immolate is to light something on fire.

A good thing to remember for a roleplay if you're gming, is to always make a character template before anyone including yourself does. In that same category, giving people the choice of picture or description for their appearance is widely accepted to be standard. I am going to make a template based on what you have there and make a couple changes. On top of all that, bio is usually at the bottom because it is supposed to be the largest article by far.

Name:

Alias:

Appearance: (picture or description is fine, but if it is over 500 in either dimension please put in spoiler bracket.)

Height:

Weight:

Powers:

Bio:

AribethAmkiir

I have no idea what you're referring too.  (Just playing.)  Thank you for that catch.  That's what I get for doing multiple things at a time.

Thank you for the template as well.  You've all ready got my back.  If everyone wouldn't mind using Vaulera's template from now on that'd be greatly appreciated.  For those of us who've tossed out a character, please convert it to the proper template.  Thank you.

AribethAmkiir

Anyone have any suggestions for a title for the game?  Or even a name for the team?

TheVillain

Melissa is supposed to be their owner, right? Something corporate, something PR approved sounds like a good team name. Hero, Inc?

Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

AribethAmkiir

Well, Melissa doesn't "own" them.  She owns the team.   (I know that's what you meant)

Does Getham International, Inc.  Too tongue tying?  I am totally not creative when it comes to names.

TheVillain

That definitely will be a popular in-game organization name but it doesn't sound like a superhero name. It needs that certain something more.

Darwishi

Shouldn't there also be a weaknesses category under the powers?  From things that will hurt, to knock out the character, to straight out kill them?  I've always found it easier for referencing my own characters, plus it makes the character seem less invincible to other players and very rarely abused...at least in my experience.

TheVillain

An excellent idea, actually Dar and Vaul. Plus I thought of a few tweeks I wanted to make anyway. Try to have as many weaknesses as you have powers, unless you have no powers then try to have half as many weaknesses as you have power-like superskills and equipment.

Name: Tyr

Alias: "Tyr- Son of Odin- God of War, Justice, Soldiers, the Maimed, and the Hanged" AKA "Viggo Tyrhold"

Appearance: Tyr has trained his body for combat over the course of centuries and it shows. He probably couldn't keep any visible body fat on it if he tried at this point. Legend says his hair is so blond as to be white, but he's been keeping it shaved for centuries. Appears to be a caucasian male over 6-and-a-half feet tall and powerfully built, but with speed in mind. Almost like it was done on purpose, his build is about as muscular as one can get without sacrificing speed and agility. Worth noting is that his left hand at some point seems to have been replaced with a magical prosthetic, he claims he lost it in battle with the demon-wolf Fenrir. As for clothing, he prefers function to form by a long shot- but usually can be found with at least a Desert Eagle 44, a few grenades, and a melee weapon of some kind usually a spear and a shield- but all are picked more for the mission at hand then anything.
[And if you come up with a good picture of this I'm definitely listening.]

Height: 6'7"

Weight: 312 lbs

Powers: Tyr is an 'immortal' God and proud of it. Don't be mistaken, it is possible for Tyr to die. It's just not easy. He does not age, does not get poisoned, does not get sick, he heals quickly, and isn't that easy to wound in the first place. Like all Gods Tyr's strength, speed, agility, and stamina are all clearly in the superhuman range. There are better in all categories, but he's superhuman in all of them. By Godly standards Tyr is very high in all of these categories but not to a point it's impossible for them to reach. His brother Thor is stronger for instance. An analogy that comes up often is that he's to the Gods what Bruce Lee was to Humans. It's worth noting that he may be above Mortals physically, Supermortals is a different standard altogether.

Tyr has thousands of years of experience in combat, against opponents mundane and supernatural, and he's made a point of keeping up to date on developments in Warfare. Between this and his extensive training he's as comfortable using fists and feet as he is using swords and shields as he is using 50-caliber mounted weapons on humvees.

Tyr's left hand is a magical prosthetic, and is noted to be able for form shields and simple weapons made from what seems to be magical energy. Seems to have some basic magical sensors and tools like door keys as well, all of them very basic and can't be more complex then simple shapes but that seems to suit him just fine.

Weaknesses: Tyr's fighting ability and physical attributes are at least partially dependent how in sync his mind, body, and soul are which in turn is dependent on his confidence and how Just he believes the cause he is fighting for to be. When at his peak in confidence and when he deeply believes that his cause is Just he's been called 'The Bruce Lee of the Gods' by various mystical beings. If his confidence is broken and he believes he's been forced to fight for an unjust cause his physical attributes and combat ability are only barely above peak human. So, depending on his emotional state, Tyr can lift above his head usually between 1 and 10 tons.

Having thousands of years of combat experience also means he's acquired thousands of years worth of enemies, both mundane and supernatural. For example, he believes that in 1897 he killed the last Werewolf with arrows tipped with the teeth of the last Vampire. He is wrong on both counts.

According to Mythology, Tyr is honest almost to a fault. This is one of the few things that comes up in myths that's pretty much completely true. He is honest to the point of often being accused of having absolutely no tact and being blunt in speech, and he absolutely hates playing politics. That's not to say he's stupid- watch him on a battlefield barking out tactics and accuse him of being an idiot- just that this intelligence never seems to reach his mouth when he's trying to talk about anything but combat. He only is able to maintain the Viggo identity because he's sworn an oath to not reveal to the world at large that the Gods really existed, and he finds this to be incredibly difficult when sober- let alone when drunk.

His left hand is indeed a magical prosthetic, and as such it can be interfered with or even shut off altogether in areas where magic doesn't work. Or even fall off if it goes without magic too long.

Bio: According to Getham International, Inc the superhero with the callsign of 'Tyr' is very well named. Named for the Viking God of War and Justice, 'Tyr' may be one of the finest soldiers ever born whose only been further enhanced with Magic.

The press release claims that 'Tyr' was an orphan named Viggo Tyrhold born in Norway with no real direction in life until it came time for his country's standard year of service for adult males. Finding the first thing in his life that he really excelled at, Viggo would serve his country all in one go and in the end only quit because he wanted to serve something greater then just one nation's army. He'd serve in UN Security Forces, then finally with Médecins Sans Frontières as a guard- travelling the world protecting the weak and helpless as a soldier. Along his travels he'd make it a point to learn what he could from local cultures, especially things that would help him fight for good causes. Somewhere between what he learned from Indian Fakirs, African Tribal Shamans, and all sorts of other wise men around the world Viggo would learn to tap his psychic potential to improve his body.

Not too long ago he was unfortunately wounded in a battle with a Janjaweed Militia in Sudan. He survived, but not without losing his left hand. Returning to Norway, not even he is sure how he knew about the cave in the mountains- but inside was his magical prosthetic left hand. According to legend it was the same prosthetic left hand used by Tyr after the demon-wolf Fenrir bit off his original- but that's just a legend really.

Of course, this is a just a lie sold to the press. Tyr was born 4,000 years ago. His father was Odin, one of the original gods, and his mother was either Odin's wife the Goddess Freya, or one of the giantesses Grid or Saga. Given his stature, probably the Goddess. 6'7" was a giant of a man in those times, but in terms of Gods he was a bit of a runt as Gods go. Especially when it was discovered that while he had Godly psychic potential he hadn't seemed to develop any outlet for this potential. He would train his body in combat and warfare all the harder to compensate.

Of course, the runt suddenly became a prize when they figured out that Tyr just had no outward outlet for his psychic potential- his powers turned inward. Honing his mind, body, and will into one solid weapon, Tyr would soundly upset his brother Thor for the much coveted title of God of War. The two brothers developed a friendly rivalry after that, collecting titles. Thor would eventually be God of Thunder, Lightning, Strength, and the Storms but Tyr would at first stood proud as God of War and Soldiers. His last three titles would come from a group of villages that were sacked by Frost Giants while the menfolk were out waging a war in his name. He would use his skills and power to avenge the brutal atrocity, earning his three other titles as God of Justice, the Maimed, and the Hanged.

Most Gods become disconnected from Humanity, Tyr never did to that level. He was above it, a God among Men sure- but that didn't make their pain any less real then his own. The runt would side with the Humans in most things- a God who forsook the lofty and fancy gilded halls of the God-City of Asgard to protect the human race. When the God-Revolution and the End of the Age of Mythology came for the Asgardians, Tyr stood for whichever side was more Just in any given battle no matter whom was involved- he's fight with the Humans when against Gods like Loki or Hel and with his follow, if less then completely dedicated, protector of humanity Thor when they came for him.

Asgard didn't so much fall as hide itself deep under Norwegian Ice as a result. A place where the Gods would be hidden away, and the world became a world of Men. Tyr would hardly notice, he agreed to at least try to keep his identity a secret for the uninitiated in order to continue his work of standing for the weak and helpless against those who would threaten them. Mostly against supernatural threats, granted- but he's been there. "Quietly" working in the background. A wanderer who went where he thought he was needed, he still wanders to this day- though he has come to the US often. He finds the ideals it was founded on intriguing, though he finds it falls short of these ideals often. Not everyone is a God of a higher standard after all. With the help, and a fair bit of insistence, of Morrigan Tyr is taking a role less in the shadows. How he does is anyone's guess.

Darwishi

Are we assuming everyone putting up a bio is playing a hero/heroine or should there be an allegiance category as well saying Villain(ess) or Hero(ine)?

AribethAmkiir

My plan is for all the PCs to be allied on the same side and working for Getham, Inc.  That's not to say people couldn't also play villains if they wanted, but let's do the main characters now and worry about filling in the villains and NPCs later. 

If we don't get a GM to step up by tomorrow I'll start some threads in the NC:Exotic small freeform group and move everything there.  I'm still hoping someone will take on the task.

Vaulera

I can GM as well as play, it is pretty standard actually. As far as the weakness thing goes, as a rule, unless they have some sort of immunity to stabbing or shooting like superman, a weakness wouldn't necessarily be needed at all. I would say that most superheroes are not invulnerable to harm like superman. A general weakness might be "weakness to high calibre bullets" or "vulnerability to a double sided knife longer than four inches".   

Darwishi

But we are in a super hero game so how are we to know that unless it's mentioned?  Also for a character that has lived centuries on end, there is clearly an immortality thing going on so for those I think there should be some weaknesses.  Anyway, I have found in running a chat based superhero setting that listing weaknesses is a good thing.  Ultimately up to the GM's, and whether or not it's required I'll probably be listing a weaknesses and limitations bit in mine.  That's just how I write characters.  It's as much for my reference as it is for the other players. ^_^

Vaulera

It is absolutely fine to list your weaknesses, but if the character does not have a resistance or immunity to conventional weaponry, it need not be listed. The flash, hawkeye, daredevil and other such superheroes have no resistance at all to mortal weaponry and as such don't really have any vulnerabilities of any real note.

Darwishi

I'd disagree on the Flash.  He can run so fast that a bullet can't hit him, react fast enough that he can't get sliced and diced with a knife.  He'd actually need some kind of weakness (his constant need for food being one) that levels out such an incredible power.  Plus he has to have some level of invulnerability when he runs, otherwise particles in the air would slice through him and kill him while running at full speeds, or even tripping would be fatal.  I think comics refer to a Speed Force that keeps him safe, but comes with weaknesses of their own. 

However, Hawkeye and Daredevil could probably get away without listing weaknesses.  One is human the other has essentially super senses (mostly hearing).  Although...I will say that Daredevil is cool because his ability is also his weakness.  His echo location means he's got super hearing, and super hearing can be defeated by loud noises or noises from many directions at once.

So, basically, Normal Human Weaknesses could be a simple way of putting it for someone that's pretty much perfectly human, but Flash has some special weaknesses of his own as does Daredevil, and it could be good to point those kinds of things out.

Or at least to think through them.  I find having to list them makes the player have to think through the possibility of cool and interesting weaknesses.  Sometimes they may be "obvious" to them, but not so obvious to someone else.  I've known players to have super sense characters and then not have weaknesses pertaining to such.  It's just a good place for a GM to kind of point that kind of thing out without stepping on toes...

Annnnnd this response was longer than I had intended it to be.  Like I said, I've found it to be helpful for the GM and the players to list weaknesses.  I'm also aware that some other people could run into problems with it. Anyway! Purely up to you guys if you want to say it's mandatory or not.  I just put it in my profiles because I like to be pretty thorough when creating a character.

Laughing Hyena

Name: Psi

Alias: Lawrence Thompson

Appearance: (picture or description is fine, but if it is over 500 in either dimension please put in spoiler bracket.)

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 146

Powers

Psionic Blade - A manifestation of psionic energy in the form of katana blades, these are Psi's signature weapons. Acting as physical weapons, the difference being that Psi can determine whether they are capable of killing or simply incapacitating an opponent.

Telekinesis - Psi's telekinesis is one of his most impressive powers. Dexterity wise he is able to maintain a hold on a number of objects, often using the four katana's carried upon them with telekinesis to give him a superior advantage in melee combat. His precision with this power is akin to his hand dexterity allowing him to use the weapons with the same kind of expertise he actually has. Whilst his actual strength with this power has not been throughly tested, several records have reported Psi having once lifted an M1 Abram tank and crudely flung it at another in order to make his escape according to what was left behind the HSM. Hence the estimated weight limit is seventy tons which is 140,000 pounds of force.

Biokinesis - Another signature power of Psi is the ability to retool a biological life form at a genetic level. This seems to be a power meant to improve the subject's physical traits. For example, it is highly probable that Psi can improve muscle performance, removing inhibitors within the muscles to exert superior strength then a normal human being. One of the most common applications of this power is the ability to speed up reaction time and the muscles reflexes to superhuman abilities. On record it has been discovered that Psi is capable of dodging automatic fire from multiple directions as exhibited within the Southern Valley Mall incident. Thankfully Psi does not seem to be capable of manipulating genetics in another person which would make him a highly dangerous opponent for the simple reason that he could cause deformities such as strokes and heart attacks in his victims and so forth.

Precognition - Another signature power of Psi and probably one of his more powerful abilities. Within deep meditation or deep sleep he can see possible futures within them. This power works with a kind of query or interaction within his mind, by means of a question which is answered with a series of vivid dreams or visions. Psi can undertake this power as often as he wishes upon a subject but it must be within this kind of state and it must involve his actions be they direct or indirect. In short this allows Psi to prepare for a mission with incredible detail giving him the ability to choose the best course of action.

Clairaudience/Clairvoyance - Psi possesses the ability to see or hear through the eyes and ears of a nearby individual. Whilst this power is harmless in of itself, it is how it is used that make Psi dangerous to any organization as he as able to gather intelligence against those that might oppose him and then use it against them.

Mind Reading - Psi has the ability to read the thought of a person by means of focusing upon the person in question. He can only scan one person at a time however the power in of itself combined with the aforementioned powers means that Psi can gather even more intelligence then usual. Not to mention this allows him to effectively interrogate a person for their knowledge by the sheer fact that this power can help possibly determine when someone is lying to him.

Bio: Lawrence originally was like any other young boy growing up in the suburbs except for the fact that he had a very outspoken father about metahumans and hated them. This blinded his father to his sons plight of being constantly bullied and harassed with his older sister having to carry the burden of comforting him on days when it became worse. At the age of eight Lawrence began to have a minor manifestation of his precognitive powers in the form of dreams of his own future. He never really commented upon it as he knew what his father was like and might hate him for it. One day it became too much and lead to a rather harsh beatdown of the child at age nine. His sister was there to try and break it up but instead the bullies focused their attention on her. The stress of the situation and the sight of his sister being hurt made him snap awakening his powers. Particularly of biokinesis and telekinesis, even Lawrence is not completely aware of what had happened sufficed to say that the bullies were no longer a threat by the amount of blood upon him and his hands.

Scared out of his mind he ran home to try and get some help from his father but found him less then willing to help. He didn't see his son as a person anymore and promptly called the authorities upon him and severed all ties. Unfortunately the people that were contacted by his father were a bunch of his more recent contacts from a human supremacy movement. They tested upon the boy, used him as a guinea pig to gauge the amount of potential within him and more importantly see if it could be controlled and weaponized. For eight years he was trained, conditioned and kept under sedatives and restraints in an effort to turn him into a perfect killer. A tool for them to use as they saw fit.

However the boys strength of will no matter how hard pressed would not completely break as he matured into a young adult. How this was possible was due to a combination of effects. The ability to use precognition was never discovered and during these many grueling days, Lawrence kept using his deep sleep to search for a way to escape within his own mind. He listened to what they thought, listened through their ears and saw through their eyes. He knew this place better then they did and he could use that as a chance to break free. However he had to endure and be patient lest he find that chance gone forever. That one beacon of hope he held onto all this time and the knowledge that his sister was waiting for him. He could not leave her behind with his father.

He used the training and strength they forced onto him to escape, using his gifts to dispatch the sentries that blocked his passage, the focus they gave him allowed not a bullet to touch him. His ability to read minds, see through their eyes and hear through their ears gave him the intel to know the quickest means to escape and the keys to the locks. His precognition allowed him to plan his escape months in advance and leave nothing to chance. Every piece was made to make sure he could escape and escape he did. Vanishing into the night from that horrible place he searched for his father and his sister but found neither for they had long since moved from the place he once called home. Then and only then did he realize that he himself was without a home.

He had to resort to using his powers in order to steal to make ends met, using telekinesis to create distractions and eventually he managed to secure a place for rent with some effort. During this time he began putting a normal life back together, making ends meet within a mall during his late teens never using his powers. It was then that his life took another turn when said mall was attacked by a mass of robbers whom, when things went south took hostages with the mall employees and the patrons. The youth took the fight to them and dispatched them with no casualties. The press gave him the moniker of Psi which stuck with him ever since. Not his first choice for a superhero name but it was a name. He is a superhero who lives in the public eye because the same Human Supremacy Movement is probably still hunting for their lost property.

TheVillain

Ah, it came up in a PM conversation so I thought I'd mention something.

When I say Tyr has Super-Human Strength, Speed, Agility, and Stamina- I don't mean Superman-level. I just mean above what a normal human is capable of. So let's say that if your character can lift more then double their body weight they have Super-Human strength.

As for Tyr, I hadn't decided exactly where he'd fall but I was thinking Spider-Man level strength at the very maximum.

Darwishi

I find it easier to put numbers with those types of things, or at the very least examples of the heaviest thing they can lift and throw.

Super Human levels could either start at what average humans could do, or perhaps at what peak human can do (just take the Gold Medal winners from the Olympics to grab those stats).  I think max bench press is somewhere in the vicinity of 800 to 1000 pounds. 

Or simply say what he can and can't do and put a number to it.  I think Spider Man's limit is around the 10 ton mark (20,000 pounds).  Or...I think a fully loaded dump truck is about that.  Probably should also specify if that he can barely bench it, if he can lift it above his head, or if he can throw it as a limit.  If you want to be including limits and stuff like that.

TheVillain

I hesitate to do that because Tyr's strength level is dependent on his emotional state and fluctuates often, but I like some of that.

Alright, so if your character can lift over 800 pounds above their head they have superhuman strength. That's a good working definition.

And Tyr, like I said, has a fluctuating strength level dependent on his emotional state. But to give some numbers let's say that usually it's between 1 ton to 10 tons that he can pick up over his head and throw it at least far enough that it doesn't land back on top of him.

Darwishi

Another thing you could do is say what kind of emotions provoke the lower and higher scales of strength and if there's any bad side effects of the higher stuff.

Like, I assume as he gets angry he can lift more, so if he's so angry that he can lift ten tons, does he go into a berserker rage where he loses sight of who is his friend and foe and attacks everyone?