News:

Main Menu

Little Witch Academia

Started by Outlaw Fallen, August 21, 2017, 09:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlaw Fallen

I just finished this show, and I'm left feeling... conflicted. On the one hand... good feels. On the other... [warning, possible word-vomit impending]

SPOILERS
So... aside from the near-overbearing magical girl influenced formula and repetition of some sentiments that started out charming, and ended up being... trying after a while... I genuinely did end up loving this show. And that's saying something, considering how much of a love-hate relationship I had with it starting out. It's hard for me to get into a show where the protagonist feels like the butt of every joke and like the writer is just endlessly tormenting them for the sake of... whatever. Basically, the dog constantly getting kicked. And, let's be real, Akko couldn't catch a break to save her life for almost all of the first season. I hung in there, only because I kept reminding myself that... as much of an underdog as Akko was, something HAD to give.

Fast forward to the ending, and we have a character whom, despite repeating this oath to herself on more than one occasion that she was going to grow up and work hard and become a witch... etc etc... is still, very much, the EXACT same character we started with at the beginning of the show. To a point of frustration for myself, as really... after pulling for her so hard through the start, I wanted to see get the shit kicked out of her for the way she treated Chariot when she was trying to get to the top of the Wagandea tree.

Honestly? I ultimately ended up MORE invested in the characters surrounding Akko, because they did change and grow. Chariot most of all. And, I will say, the twists they threw in there with the dream fuel magic and such... some great writing, in my opinion, and explained SO much about why Chariot acted the way she was and answered so many questions. And, for a nice cherry on top, they incorporated how it affected Diana, as well! Top shelf, Little Witch!

That is, until the end. I'm left feeling... cheated, really. Disappointed. Sad. Frustrated. Frankly, for all the buildup around the Grand Triskellion, our final sequence being against a... rather nameless evil that was dispatched with almost too much ease... it was a little anti-climactic to me. And worse, the buildup around Akko and Chariot and Chariot's struggle with Croix coming to a head when Chariot refused to let anything happen to Croix, even after all of the crap that she pulled... Akko finally meets Chariot... and I could even deal with Akko letting any beef with Chariot go, but where I was lost was... it was so clear that Akko sincerely loved Ursula/Chariot, especially knowing they were the same person, and I wanted there to be more there (like a scenario of Chariot adopting Akko or something, if Akko had not had a family). I guess I got caught up in Akko's desire to meet Chariot, and wanted to see them be more like mother and daughter, but even if that wasn't the case... when Akko told Chariot that she loved her, I got the sense that Chariot was dealing with a fan, and not something she genuinely cared for... like 'awww, that's cute, Akko, thanks'. It lent to the impression that, sure Chariot had wanted Akko to succeed in finding her own way AND finishing what she started, but her driving force was more guilt and vindication than anything else.

So, yeah... still a good show, definitely had it's moments, and I would recommend it. I just know I wasn't left feeling fulfilled by the ending, but I still wouldn't say it was a bad ending.
"I fought the decisions that called and lost
My mark has the relevant piece in this
I will come reformed
In short, for the murder of those I court
I bless the hour that holds your fall
I will kill you all" - Coheed & Cambria
A/A's UPDATED! (6/6/19) | Desires | Outlaw-bait

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard

SaturnCeleste

I just read that it's on Netflix.  I'll try to watch it soon.  :D
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

Outlaw Fallen

Decided to add a spoiler tag since... it occurred to me that some might read it without realizing that I wasn't pulling any punches.

But yes, SaturnCeleste, it is on Netflix, and is a good watch. I hope you enjoy the ride! And if you wish to discuss your impressions when you get through it, this thread will still be here!
"I fought the decisions that called and lost
My mark has the relevant piece in this
I will come reformed
In short, for the murder of those I court
I bless the hour that holds your fall
I will kill you all" - Coheed & Cambria
A/A's UPDATED! (6/6/19) | Desires | Outlaw-bait

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard