Interest Check: Legendary Monsters (3.5 DnD)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, November 30, 2014, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: lockepick on December 07, 2014, 05:03:47 PM
@Zaer: I appreciate that you're willing to go with it, but I don't get any joy out of pushing you into something you can't get into. I'll just play a broad. :) I can get into M/F scenes as long as I'm the one getting plowed.

So, your okay with futa/hermaphordite? I am more okay playing them vs male than male vs male actually :P. Weird I know.

Sain: Monk and Dragon Shaman got full BAB (my house rules). Also you got Touch of Vitality from dragon shaman (you get full benefits of it in 6th level, including status condition removal).

Seriously folks, check the house rules for the classes in the other thread. In here; https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=210234.msg10329476#msg10329476

ShadowFox89

I suppose no taking Monster of Legend... since we're supposed to be legendary monsters? ;)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sain

Hmm, didn't notice the full bab mention for DS. Good. Maybe there will be some slight chance of getting through her own AC :D Noticed the touch of vitality though, but did not add it there since all dragon shamans get it anyway.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 07, 2014, 05:25:10 PM
I suppose no taking Monster of Legend... since we're supposed to be legendary monsters? ;)

Nop, I think that template is quite broken :P. Spell reflect constantly? Nop XD. Give cleric spellcasting up to certain level? Nop.

Your otherwise legendary in being paragon templated creatures with gestalt.

Lockepick

Hound Archon - Paladin // Cleric / Contemplative

Deity/Religion
Annette is a servant of the 'Casus Belli Sanctus' -- the inspiration behind holy war. The reputation of the faith differs greatly based on the region. At best, people see the Casus Belli Sanctus as heroes who encourage the downtrodden to take up arms and fight against oppression or tyranny. At worst, the Casus Belli Sanctus is a group of violent fanatics that look for any excuse for war and battle. The organization is made up of mostly Templars and Missionaries. Templars remain in the Casus Belli Sanctus temples, which are closer to forts than places of worship, where they remain until they have a cause them to be deployed towards a cause. Missionaries travel on their own, moving along the land honing their skills, and finding opportunities to help those outside the faith find the glory of the Casus Belli Sanctus.

Background
Normally a Hound Archon remains in Celestia to serve as their fierce protectors, but Annette didn't have the patience and vigilance demanded of a defender. Too many altercations eventually had her judged, and neither party was sure who had the idea of sending her to the Prime Material. She found a natural fit amongst the Casus Belli Sanctus -- who allowed her to play to her inherent need to protect and defend the innocent, but gave her the chance to take an active role in doing so. When she first joined, she was more of a mascot than anything. It helped the very notion of the Casus Belli Sanctus to be able to say an Archon had come down from Celestia to join their fight.

She quickly proved herself as a powerful asset, beyond the PR campaign. Even those who saw potential in her couldn't have imagined how quickly and strongly she'd grow. Her ability to sway and inspire the hearts of men lead to regimes being over thrown, to farmhands picking up weapons and going to war, and the merciless and fearless eradication of tyrannical figures -- with no consideration for what the aftermath would be. She could only consider the fight at hand, and the notion of easing a 'foe' out of power was unheard of. Not every group that joined the fight ended for the better -- economies were crushed by sudden changes, power vacuums sometimes put even worse people in power once Annette moved on, and the line between 'tyrant' and 'ruler during hard times' was not always clearly defined.

The overgod Ao sealed Annette away because she was running unchecked. Even if her intent was for the best, but her lack of foresight made it not always play out that way. Her effects on the world were deemed too disruptive to the balance, and she was sealed -- she believes, until a time where she's needed again.

Description
As a Hound Archon, her body is that of an anthropomorphic canine -- in Annette's case, one covered in golden fur. Atop her head, the fur grows longer, somewhere between a mane and normal hair. This mane runs halfway down her back, and even lighter shade of blonde, kept out of her face. She dresses in light clothing, but without any armor. She favors boots and pants that allow her freedom of movement, and favors a loose fitting enchanted shirt. A harness that holds an adamantium great sword to her back holds the fabric of her shirt tight across a flat stomach, and across the bottom half of her breasts. The shirt is usually opened up along her chest, showing her cleavage and clavicles.

Notes:
-Sheet contains effects of spells that are Persistent (as Misc when possible), but does not show the effects of any other spells, even those that are effectively 24 hours. These are listed under 'Conditions and Effects.'
-I tried to explain any places where I couldn't show my math.
-Domains, Marshal Auras, and Feats are all listed under spells -- since I had so many racial/class abilities to put up top.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

indarkestknight

Quick note to other players, since I asked Zaer about this myself in PMs.

Only actual armor can be enchanted with armor special abilities like soulfire or heavy fortification. Bracers of armor and similar items only ever grant armor bonuses.

Lockepick

I actually just had a regular shirt that was Enhanced, not the bracers themselves; on the same vein of enchanting robes or the like. Not sure if that makes the difference!

I would understand if the Enhancement bonus from the shirt didn't stack with the Bracers of Armor, for what that's worth.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

Bracers of Armor or enchanted shirt which gives AC bonus (or mithril shirt) does not stack and only enchanted actual armor provide armor enchants (but for Annette purposes mithril shirt is actually a shirt). Also I would rule that you cannot use bracers of armor while wearing enchanted armor (or shirt). Easiest solution for it is to have magic vestment memorized (it adds enchant bonus to your shirt).

Also cohort is same level as you do (12) and choose either to be gestalt or have paragon creature template (but be otherwise single classed individual or have LA+HD up to 12).

Sain

Wait a minute cohort gets paragon template too in addition to being lvl 12? I think I know my paragon feat now.

Lockepick

I guess I'm not sure if I follow... I was under the impression that I can fill whatever slots I have, but naturally -- similar types of bonuses don't stack. When I first made the character, I was thinking that an "Enhancement Bonus" from armor would stack with Bracers, but after thinking about that, I realized that was silly.

My goal here is to wear the Bracers of Armor for their armor bonus, and the +1 Soulfire Shirt ONLY for the Soulfire Property -- the +1 from the shirt is basically just a 'tax' in order to have the property.

Is that more clear? Or are you saying that the two items can't be worn at the same time at all?

I'll fix the Cohort, thank you! I still need to figure out what I want, if anything.

Zaer Darkwail

You can choose cohort to be either gestalt like you or have paragon template (I guess most folks take the later as template is that good). Also cohort must not be 'crafter' sort buddy or such. As you get no items crafted via cohort (it can have feats but it must not benefit you). As some folks take crafting cohorts doing your gear seriously enough. But cohorts can craft their own gear (use NPC gold of a 15th level).

Anyways Sain, you can have the shirt and bracers. Just thought moment wearing same items cancel each other out but that was from another game -_-

indarkestknight

Ah. I was confused. I thought since she applied +8 Dex to AC and she's listed as in unarmored that it was an item ala bracers of armor rather than a +1 soulfire mithril shirt.

Sain

Thanks, my sphinx is nekkid though.

Hmm... can someone guide me how to read the cohort table. That "number of followers by level" part is somewhat obscure. Does 6th mean it's people of same lvl as you, 5th 1 lower etc. or how does one read it? Can the cohort be some sort of consructs btw? I was imagining that dimensional mazes would need some maintenance staff.

e. I suppose warforged will work to get the same flavour just as good.

Zaer Darkwail

Cohort can be sentient construct. Most ideal would be Inevitable, a outsider from a plane which is filled sentient constructs. However they all are past 12 HD limit but I am sure there are more of them in some splats or we can make custom (or even warforge which is native from said plane).

The number of followers by level means NPC class followers which max level according that is 6th (more higher leadership score past 25 just increase number of followers).

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Sain on December 07, 2014, 07:37:31 PM
Thanks, my sphinx is nekkid though.

My werelion is most likely going to be running around naked as well.... Won't matter too much in animal/hybrid form though.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Lockepick

Right, to be clear: Annette isn't wearing a Chain Shirt -- it's a mundane shirt. Vestment. Vest. Whatever it needs to be, I suppose! I'll have her wear full on robes if necessary, it just wasn't... a cosmetic match.

Zaer Darkwail

We can use mithril chain shirt stats and make it look like a vest (simple as that). Anyways as said armor enchants can be only placed on armors so whatever she wears to get soulfire it must be based on having armor on and needing armor proficiency to wear it.

If want stick with shirts there is spidersilk shirt from Underdark book (it's really a shirt albeit has low to no AC bonus without enchants and extreme dex bonus). Naturally armor limits using full Dex bonus and also monk AC/speed stuff.

Kunoichi

So, that neutral evil variant Paladin class I'm using gives out some rather interesting class abilities:

QuoteIntercession (Su) The Sea Witch has the supernatural ability to cut divine spellcasters off from their source of power, 23 times per day.  To do so, she makes a turning check as a 22nd-level cleric (this number includes the +13 insight bonus from the Paragon Creature template).  The result indicates the highest-level divine spellcaster the Sea Witch can cut off from their connection to their deity.  The turning damage result indicates the maximum total Hit Dice of divine spellcasters within 60 feet the ability can affect.  The Sea Witch's intercession affects the closest divine spellcasters it can affect first.  Affected divine spellcasters cannot cast divine spells for 1 minute, except if the Sea Witch has twice as many hit dice as the creature has divine spellcaster levels; in this case, the divine spellcaster loses loses the ability to case divine spells for 24 hours.  If the Sea Witch attacks an affected divine spellcaster in any way, or the affected spellcaster receives an atonement spell, the divine spellcaster is freed from this effect.  The Sea Witch's allies and other creatures can attack the divine spellcaster without breaking the effect.

I kinda want to use this on a Solar at some point in the game. :P

Zaer Darkwail

Rofl, that's quite nasty. What is the neutral evil paladin class? Source?

Kunoichi

It's called the Corrupter.  It's in dragon magazine #312.

Zaer Darkwail

Okay thanks, will check on it when I can find the PDF or some format of the magazine :P. But sounds interesting.

Sain

You need to capture all solars with this and once they are weakened lock em up somewhere to get a personal angel harem.

Lockepick

Making the changes as needed! Dropping the shirt, looking at other places to spend my gold pieces.

On another note: I think I'm a little confused on what sort of stuff the '+13 to Special Abilities' and '+15 to Caster Level' stuff applies to.

I assume the +15 to Caster Level DOESN'T apply to any spells we get from our class, correct? ie: If Greater Magic Weapon lasts 1 Hour/level -- it only lasts 12 Hours for my 12th level Cleric?

More Detailed, Personal Questions

-For 'Aura of Menace' does the '+13 to Special Abilities' effect the DC at all? Does an increased 'Caster Level' increase the effective 'Hit Dice' when calculating the Aura's DC?
-For purpose of Magic Circle vs Evil and Protection from Evil -- do evil outsiders (non-native) count as 'evil summoned creatures?' Or does it only count if they were brought into the current realm via Summon Monster/Planar Binding spell trees?

Zaer Darkwail

+13 insight bonus to special abilities means likely attack rolls (or other checks) as it speaks about 'attacks' (so in truth it seems not add to save DC's at all I think unless wrong). I would imagine it applies to 'ray beams' from lantern archon but not it's grapple checks example. Paragon gets +25 luck bonus to attack and +20 luck bonus to damage rolls. In regards CL increase it's flat raise to all spell-alike abilities based on your creature type (including fixed CL like with sphinx symbol spells).

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 08, 2014, 10:55:20 AM
+13 insight bonus to special abilities means likely attack rolls (or other checks) as it speaks about 'attacks' (so in truth it seems not add to save DC's at all I think unless wrong). I would imagine it applies to 'ray beams' from lantern archon but not it's grapple checks example. Paragon gets +25 luck bonus to attack and +20 luck bonus to damage rolls. In regards CL increase it's flat raise to all spell-alike abilities based on your creature type (including fixed CL like with sphinx symbol spells).

The Epic Level Handbook is pretty clear on the +13 Insight bonus, actually.  It can apply in a number of ways, depending on how the Paragon Creature wished to make use of it.  The specific examples cited in the book are adding +13 to save DCs, and adding +13 to a rake attack's damage.  The only limit is that you can only apply it once.

I myself have used it to increase save DCs on most of my abilities, including my spells, and to increase my effective Cleric level for both the Intercession ability I listed above, and the Rebuke Undead ability a Dread Necromancer gets.  It's pretty helpful, overall. ^^