The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 24, 2015, 04:48:04 PM
I happened across this rumor, but I don't know how old it is. It was referring to a possible crossover between Arrow and Constantine. But, seeing as Constantine appears to be cancelled, I don't think it will happen. Though, even though the show might be cancelled they could still have the character make an appearance, same with Zatanna. Would be interesting to see how they work the magic literally.

Wait, what networks are these all on? I mean, if they're basically doing Smallville but with multiple different shows running concurrently, that would be utterly amazing. Expensive as hell to produce, I'd imagine, but still, that would have a huge demographic.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 24, 2015, 04:48:04 PM
I happened across this rumor, but I don't know how old it is....
About a week old http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/constantine-arrow-season-4-crossover-possibility-1201492462/

Constantine is cancelled on NBC, but they've been trying to get another network to pick the show up.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

CaptainNexus616

With how popular Superheroes are these days it wouldn't surprise me if one does pick Constantine up. Look what happened with Family Guy. Or this could end up becoming another Firefly scenario.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on May 24, 2015, 06:13:11 PM
Wait, what networks are these all on?
CW - Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, iZombie
CW Seed - Vixen
CBS -Supergirl
Fox - Gotham, Lucifer
NBC - Constantine
TNT - Blackbirds (formerly Titans)
AMC - Preacher

Quote from: Mathim on May 24, 2015, 06:13:11 PM
I mean, if they're basically doing Smallville but with multiple different shows running concurrently, that would be utterly amazing. Expensive as hell to produce, I'd imagine, but still, that would have a huge demographic.
Strangely the more they make the cheaper it gets. Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow & Supergirl are all made by the same company so they can reuse sets, locations, equipment, staff etc.

SapphireStar

Constantine might fare better on a network like Fox or even FX, HBO, etc. If one of the cable channels picks it up or even like Netflix, they could push the envelope a little more. Having Zatanna appear on Flash, Arrow, etc would be awesome since she is part of the Justice League. And, she had a relationship with Constantine.

The expense is in part due to the special effects they have to generate per episode. Plus, rigging for stunts. Those can run up a hefty bill, but I think if DC/CW plays it right can work in their advantage. The tv shows have been really what has been a lifeline for them. Even the animated tv shows and movies. The effects for the shows are on par with the movies. Light years ahead of where special effects were ten even fifteen years ago. Half the time I forget I'm watching a tv show.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 24, 2015, 06:32:32 PM
Constantine might fare better on a network like Fox or even FX, HBO, etc. If one of the cable channels picks it up or even like Netflix, they could push the envelope a little more. Having Zatanna appear on Flash, Arrow, etc would be awesome since she is part of the Justice League. And, she had a relationship with Constantine.

The expense is in part due to the special effects they have to generate per episode. Plus, rigging for stunts. Those can run up a hefty bill, but I think if DC/CW plays it right can work in their advantage. The tv shows have been really what has been a lifeline for them. Even the animated tv shows and movies. The effects for the shows are on par with the movies. Light years ahead of where special effects were ten even fifteen years ago. Half the time I forget I'm watching a tv show.

Whoa, they're that good? I mean, I've only seen Agents of SHIELD look comparable to the movies' effects but if they're managing this stuff with DC shows too, I've been missing out! I figured since they were going relatively low-tech with Arrow being a non-powered human, they were going to cheap out on it. But if something like the Flash or others are upping the ante, we might start seeing TV movies as part of these continuities instead of having to wait until they're on the big screen.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

TV movies sound like a good idea. They could do it where we several of the heroes and some of their support cast crossing over to deal with some bigger threats than normal. It would help pull in viewers from both shows and could entice some to try out the other shows.  (Though if they are going through with Arrow and Flash merging this will have to wait till some more heroes or something occurs)
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 25, 2015, 01:27:50 PM
TV movies sound like a good idea. They could do it where we several of the heroes and some of their support cast crossing over to deal with some bigger threats than normal. It would help pull in viewers from both shows and could entice some to try out the other shows.  (Though if they are going through with Arrow and Flash merging this will have to wait till some more heroes or something occurs)

Kind of like how the Defenders is supposedly only going to be, like, 4 episodes even though the individual heroes making up the team are supposed to have full 13-episode seasons of their own shows? That's pretty much the length of a feature film, although probably closer to the 3-hour mark than the 2.5 we expect from Avengers ensemble films, if the episodes are 45-50 minutes a pop.

CuriousEyes

So again, not knowing how much people care about Suicide Squad (the feedback I've been seeing has been pretty cynical)... some on-set developments.

Note: I'm going to throw this behind a spoiler. I would not consider what I'm revealing here to be "news," or excessively revealing plot details of the movie for those who care. But it is beyond the realm of a cast photo or a still that can't really reveal anything, if only in the sense that you can use the information to draw some conclusions that I don't think have been explicitly called out.

You Have Been Warned

So the Batmobile appears in the movie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/443863-the-batmobile-and-infected-soldiers-arrive-on-the-set-of-suicide-squad

Aside from the unintentional comedy of watching Batman engage in what is (before the injection of movie magic) a Low Speed Chase, it leads one to wonder if Suicide Squad is going to feature direct cameos from some of the heroes DC is trying to extend out.

SapphireStar

I had been interested in seeing a Suicide Squad movie, but the casting and tone of the movie feels more like one of those movies like Flash Gordon. The costuming for Harley looks like it was slapped together at the last minute and someone took a magic marker to her legs to draw playing card symbols on her skin. The Joker looks like a playboy in the one picture of him coming out of a sleek, expensive sports car.

The rumors I've heard on the plot, the only one who saw Batman is the Joker, and Waller uses him to lure Batman out of his cave where he uses drones to do his crimefighting. It seems like they are trying to copy Marvel's ensemble cast but it doesn't appear to be coming off well.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 26, 2015, 11:33:01 AM
I had been interested in seeing a Suicide Squad movie, but the casting and tone of the movie feels more like one of those movies like Flash Gordon. The costuming for Harley looks like it was slapped together at the last minute and someone took a magic marker to her legs to draw playing card symbols on her skin. The Joker looks like a playboy in the one picture of him coming out of a sleek, expensive sports car.

The rumors I've heard on the plot, the only one who saw Batman is the Joker, and Waller uses him to lure Batman out of his cave where he uses drones to do his crimefighting. It seems like they are trying to copy Marvel's ensemble cast but it doesn't appear to be coming off well.

Why couldn't they get a more appropriate Amanda Waller, someone full-figured like the one most people are familiar with? Oh well.

If they were further along in the DCCU, I would support a Suicide Squad movie more. As it is, we've only just been introduced to Superman. The world can't be as skeptical as Perry White about all the shit that's been going down if these kind of freaks have been causing enough trouble to earn death sentences. If this was, say, the 6th or 7th film rather than the 3rd, so we at least have time to swallow that the world has created many super villains to throw at the emerging superheroes. Like, if this was a Marvel movie, I'd say leave it til Phase 2. Kind of like how that was good timing for Guardians of the Galaxy.

I still don't like this approach to Batman. It feels like a flimsy excuse for why he hasn't been seen prior to the worldwide reveal of Superman. Just because someone may have been a little too lazy to hint at it during Man of Steel. If there are superficial continuity problems going on this early in the DCCU, that doesn't bode well for the other upcoming films.

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on May 26, 2015, 03:21:29 PM
Why couldn't they get a more appropriate Amanda Waller, someone full-figured like the one most people are familiar with? Oh well.
Look at the most recent live action versions of Amanda Waller, I don't think anyone would describe either Cynthia Addai-Robinson or Angela Bassett as being larger ladies, even Pam Grier wasn't that large. So Viola Davis fits the physical mold they've already set down.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on May 26, 2015, 04:48:53 PM
Look at the most recent live action versions of Amanda Waller, I don't think anyone would describe either Cynthia Addai-Robinson or Angela Bassett as being larger ladies, even Pam Grier wasn't that large. So Viola Davis fits the physical mold they've already set down.

I wasn't referring to the live-action ones, though. But I guess Mo'nique or Queen Latifah probably didn't want to take the role (I'd heard both of them were possible candidates before the official casting.) Even Angela Bassett remarked about her not being as large as the Amanda Waller from the comics but still wanting to play the part, so it's not completely unknown what her original appearance is like. Personally I think girth adds presence and someone in charge of a group like the Suicide Squad needs that big-time.

SapphireStar

Angela Bassett has the commanding presence. And, she has done some action, limited, but action. She played Director Chase on Alias Season 5. I like Cynthia Addai-Robinson's version of Amanda Waller on Arrow. But, never really got to see her in action, not like Pam Grier's version in Smallville. Tarahj Henderson from Empire/Person of Interest could pull off Waller, same with the actress who played Quinn/Sam Hanna's wife on NCIS: Los Angeles.  DC for the most part for the movies have trouble casting the roles while the tv shows have been casting the roles amazingly. Several of those cast for Arrow all came from the Spartacus series.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 26, 2015, 10:57:12 PM
Angela Bassett has the commanding presence. And, she has done some action, limited, but action. She played Director Chase on Alias Season 5. I like Cynthia Addai-Robinson's version of Amanda Waller on Arrow. But, never really got to see her in action, not like Pam Grier's version in Smallville. Tarahj Henderson from Empire/Person of Interest could pull off Waller, same with the actress who played Quinn/Sam Hanna's wife on NCIS: Los Angeles.  DC for the most part for the movies have trouble casting the roles while the tv shows have been casting the roles amazingly. Several of those cast for Arrow all came from the Spartacus series.

Like how Christopher Nolan recycles his cast for every movie? LOL. I'm not saying those actors can't pull it off, I just prefer when they're as accurate to the original source material as possible.

Speaking of which, I saw on IMDB that the male Asian character of the Ancient One in the Doctor Strange movie is rumored to be played by the Caucasian female Tilda Swinton. Let's mull that over and see how it goes down.

CaptainNexus616

At this point...does it really matter? Yeah I am one for keeping close to the source material but they have changed things in the MCU compared to the comics and it has worked out well for the MCU alone.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The most notable example of altering material and it working would be Star Lord, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Falcons origins. Granted there was some mistakes such as Mandrain  but compare that one blemish to everything else
The Marvel Cinematic Universe from the start is part of Marvel's Multiverse along with Earth 616 (The mainstream comics) and the Ultimate universe.

Its meant to be different and tell a different story. Who knows maybe this Ancient One will work out better or it may not.

SapphireStar

Checking out the various movie news. Rumors for the X-Men: Apocalypse movie is they may be adding Moonstar/Danielle Moonstar to the roster. And, possible talks of doing a New Mutants/X-Force movie. It would be cool if they got the X-men movies rolling with more movies. Though, not impressed with the Gambit movie. Why couldn't they have cast Taylor Kitsch again??

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 27, 2015, 11:35:16 PM
At this point...does it really matter? Yeah I am one for keeping close to the source material but they have changed things in the MCU compared to the comics and it has worked out well for the MCU alone.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The most notable example of altering material and it working would be Star Lord, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Falcons origins. Granted there was some mistakes such as Mandrain  but compare that one blemish to everything else
The Marvel Cinematic Universe from the start is part of Marvel's Multiverse along with Earth 616 (The mainstream comics) and the Ultimate universe.

Its meant to be different and tell a different story. Who knows maybe this Ancient One will work out better or it may not.

Well I'm not perfectly comfortable with the changes in Falcon's origin, personally, but I can at least understand the importance of changing most of the Guardians' because of time restraints to fit into a single film. There's plenty they could have done to give Falcon his powers and have him be a reformed criminal.

And it matters to me, but I know I'm just one person. I'd still prefer they keep as many ethnically diverse characters being portrayed accurately as possible. I never really thought the MCU was too robust in whitewashing, but this is a huge red flag.

Deamonbane

Dunno if this is relevant, but they are making a 'The Crow' remake with Jack Huston playing Eric Draven/The Crow and surprise twist with Andrea Risebororough playing Top Dollar.

Any thoughts? I am a huge fan of the '94 film so I have some mixed feelings about it...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on May 28, 2015, 11:15:45 AM
Dunno if this is relevant, but they are making a 'The Crow' remake with Jack Huston playing Eric Draven/The Crow and surprise twist with Andrea Risebororough playing Top Dollar.

Any thoughts? I am a huge fan of the '94 film so I have some mixed feelings about it...

Could you explain why so many people liked that movie? I only saw it within the last few years but I thought the acting was painfully bad and the story, just so-so. Maybe that stuff just doesn't matter to most people and/or I'm too anal. Aren't there a bunch of sequels to the original anyway? Is this an actual remake rather than just another sequel?

Deamonbane

Maybe nostalgia. The guy that plays the titular character is Brendan Lee, Bruce Lee's kid, and he died during filming. I thought that the movie was an A-Class B-movie, to be honest, that peaks around the middle and then just drifts off at the end. The fact that they put in someone else to play the Crow for the last few scenes didn't help.

It's a remake, not a sequel. I saw that they made a TV series out of it, though.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

SapphireStar

New report with a rumor that Chris Pine might join the cast of Superman V. Batman. How many characters are they going to put in this movie? With as many as they keep adding, they will have little screen time or development. Basically, little more then spotlight cameos.

Update: Found another article, the rumor is that Chris Pine will play Wonder Woman's love interest, Steve Trevor in the movie.

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on May 28, 2015, 09:26:05 PM
Maybe nostalgia. The guy that plays the titular character is Brendan Lee, Bruce Lee's kid, and he died during filming. I thought that the movie was an A-Class B-movie, to be honest, that peaks around the middle and then just drifts off at the end. The fact that they put in someone else to play the Crow for the last few scenes didn't help.

It's a remake, not a sequel. I saw that they made a TV series out of it, though.

I remember hearing about Lee's death, but unlike the Dark Knight where Heath Ledger died during filming, that movie is almost universally loved for many justifiable reasons. I always hear people mention The Crow fondly but just never hear the 'why' part. So, novelty/nostalgia, pretty much. I guess that's adequate.

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 28, 2015, 11:22:24 PM
New report with a rumor that Chris Pine might join the cast of Superman V. Batman. How many characters are they going to put in this movie? With as many as they keep adding, they will have little screen time or development. Basically, little more then spotlight cameos.

Update: Found another article, the rumor is that Chris Pine will play Wonder Woman's love interest, Steve Trevor in the movie.

Do they really need to do that in a Batman/Superman movie, though? I mean, this is the sort of thing solo movies were made for. Just because they're rushing into Batman without a traditional reboot doesn't mean they should also shoehorn in other heroes' rushed origins to boot. I know they're already pretty far into production but they ought to realize by now what a bloated mess Age of Ultron is turning out to be (with 10+ main characters), and do what little they can to avoid that.

Beorning

Age of Ultron is not a bloated mess! I liked it, personally :)

BTW. Yesterday, I heard the news of Tilda Swinton having been cast to play Ancient One. I admit I... have no idea what to think of this.

... aside from the fact that with Tilda Swinton playing in a Marvel movie, I'll be able to pester my older sister. Who is strictly into "serious" movies *and* likes Tilda Swinton. And now, even the "serious actress" Swinton plays for Marvel! Hah ;)

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on May 29, 2015, 04:24:21 PM
Age of Ultron is not a bloated mess! I liked it, personally :)

BTW. Yesterday, I heard the news of Tilda Swinton having been cast to play Ancient One. I admit I... have no idea what to think of this.

... aside from the fact that with Tilda Swinton playing in a Marvel movie, I'll be able to pester my older sister. Who is strictly into "serious" movies *and* likes Tilda Swinton. And now, even the "serious actress" Swinton plays for Marvel! Hah ;)

Almost every serious actor has gotten involved with things like superhero movies, or really beneath-them stuff (De Niro in the Meet the Parents movies, Robert Duvall in Kicking and Screaming) so that sentiment just makes no sense.

I say AoU is a bloated mess because it doesn't give enough time for anyone to adequately develop, especially the twins and Vision. This is why I think it should have been the first Marvel film to get split up into two parts, not Infinity War.