News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Oh.. He's not bitter....

Started by Callie Del Noire, January 11, 2010, 11:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

consortium11

Callie Del Noire

It was a stupid move to begin with. And them  (NBC execs) trying to keep all of the talent on the line up is only going to make it worse. I give it a 50/50 chance that they will have to drop one of them.

Talia

He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Callie Del Noire

I get the feeling if it comes down to Leno or Conan..

Conan is going to lose out.

Which is a shame, they are both good talents. I just think the execs at NBC are suffering a delusion that there was enough 'late night' to split between them.

Beguile's Mistress

I never thought Leno would fly in Prime Time, although I would have desperately missed the "Headlines" segment.  The fact that the shmucks executives at NBC are idiots has been proven once again.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on January 12, 2010, 12:32:00 PM
I never thought Leno would fly in Prime Time, although I would have desperately missed the "Headlines" segment.  The fact that the shmucks executives at NBC are idiots has been proven once again.

TV execs seem intent on 'quick fixes'. That is why they like Reality TV.. it's cheap, quick, you can hype the hell out of it and get a quick revenue flow and not have to worry about the fade because next season you create something new to replace it.

And you don't have to pay outrageous (to the exec) Salaries to actors, directors, writers and such.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 12, 2010, 12:34:48 PMTV execs seem intent on 'quick fixes'. That is why they like Reality TV.. it's cheap, quick, you can hype the hell out of it and get a quick revenue flow and not have to worry about the fade because next season you create something new to replace it.

And you don't have to pay outrageous (to the exec) Salaries to actors, directors, writers and such.

Reality shows die for me after the first few seasons.  It's a case of seen-one-seen-'em-all partly and I can't stand the stupid drama, back-stabbing, lying and manipulation of the contestants and video by the producers.

The production costs are lower so I suppose you get what you pay for.

On another point, I wonder how many people would pay for reality shows, and late night talk shows if the US Congress is successful in turning free TV into pay TV. 

Callie Del Noire

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/12/conan.obrien/index.html

(CNN) -- Conan O'Brien suggested in a statement Tuesday that he will not accept NBC's proposal to move him and "The Tonight Show," which he's hosted for seven months, to 12:05 a.m. ET.

NBC has proposed moving "The Tonight Show" from its traditional 11:35 p.m. slot so that the show's former host, Jay Leno, could host a half-hour show then.

"My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of 'The Tonight Show.' But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction," O'Brien said. "Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

"There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work."

Read O'Brien's full statement

After Leno left "The Tonight Show" last year -- as part of an agreement reached six years ago giving it to O'Brien -- he began hosting "The Jay Leno Show" for NBC in the fall, airing at 10 p.m. ET.

But ratings for the 10 p.m. show were low, and on Sunday, NBC announced that it was taking Leno out of the prime-time slot because the show "didn't meet affiliates' needs" despite performing at acceptable levels for the network. The last show will air February 11 to make way for the 2010 Winter Olympics, which airs starting February 12.

Jeff Gaspin, chairman of NBC Universal Television Entertainment, said the plan was for Leno to host a new, half-hour show at 11:35 p.m. ET, followed by "Tonight" with O'Brien at 12:05 a.m. and Jimmy Fallon's "Late Night" show moving to 1 a.m. As of Sunday, NBC was still negotiating with the three hosts over the proposed lineup.

iReport: Share your view on the late-night shakeup

O'Brien, in his statement Tuesday, said the plan wasn't acceptable.

"For 60 years the 'Tonight Show' has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying 'The Tonight Show' into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting," O'Brien said. " 'The Tonight Show' at 12:05 simply isn't 'The Tonight Show.'

"Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the 'Late Night' show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy."

Fox's president of entertainment, Kevin Reilly, told reporters on Monday that his network may be interested in O'Brien should he leave "Tonight."

"I love him," Reilly said at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, California. "It's a very compatible fit for our brand. He is one of the few guys in the planet who has demonstrated he can do one of these shows every night."

In monologues on their respective shows on Monday, Leno and O'Brien had zingers about the looming shakeup.

"NBC said the show performed exactly as they expected it would and then canceled us. Don't confuse this [with] when we were on at late night and performed better than expected and they canceled us. That was totally different," Leno quipped.

O'Brien had the following to say on his show Monday:

-- "Good evening, I'm Conan O'Brien, the new host of 'Last Call with Carson Daly.' "

-- "This weekend no one was seriously hurt, but a 6.5 earthquake hit California. The earthquake was so powerful that it knocked Jay Leno's show from 10:00 to 11:35."

-- "On the positive side, I have learned a valuable lesson from all this: Never sign a contract that ends with the word 'NOT.' "

Looks like O'Brien isn't willing to wait for the Execs at NBC to screw him.

Sabby

Conan O'Brien is a Golden God. And no, I don't mean just in Finland.

Serephino

I've never been all that fond of him, but I still don't think what they're doing is fair.  I like Leno, and was glad that he was getting another show, but I couldn't help but wonder why he couldn't just stay on the Tonight Show if he was doing so well. 

I like Leno better, but I don't think they should change things around like that.  If I were him I'd be upset too because he was told one thing and then the higher ups did another.  It's a real mess, and I'm starting to like NBC less and less.

consortium11

http://tv.gawker.com/5448615/jay-leno-turns-the-tables-bashes-conan-obrien-with-biting-monologue

A good compilication of most of the late-night hosts reactions... Kimmel was awesome (especially on Leno) and Ferguson was certainly the most poignant.

Jude

Yeah, I'm with Conan on this.

Everyone knew (I saw it reported throughout the news at the time) that Leno's show wasn't gonna cut it in primetime.  Leno knew he was taking a risk by moving to that slot; why should he be rewarded for taking a risk and failing?

Ruhinn

I don't watch a whole lot of late night, so my main interest is in how prime time tv would suffer as a result of this. I was upset that Southland got cancelled, as it was really a good show. It's too late to bring it back to NBC now, but it thankfully got picked up by another network.

I am relieved that cancelling Leno will give Trauma a bit more of a chance to find its place. There are a lot of dramas around right now, but Trauma is a good show, and it deserves a chance.

Serephino

Honestly, I think Leno is being made a scapegoat here.  We don't know what went on in those meetings.  Jay made a statement on his show the other night that he wanted to keep working, but there was that pesky little anti-competition clause that kept him from moving to another network, and so, he was put on at ten.

I know that clause really exists because they were talking about it when Katie Couric (sp?) left Today to go to ABC.  She couldn't start at ABC for 6 months because of this clause.  So I know he wasn't making it up. 

I don't understand why people seem to think that Jay Leno has some super power or something that when he says jump an entire network asks how high.  That is not the way things work.  Obviously someone high up thought the ten o' clock show was worth the risk.  I really don't like the way this one man is being demonized.  We really don't know what went on behind closed doors.  NBC has been making a lot of stupid decisions lately.

I think everyone got a raw deal.  I really don't know what stake Letterman has in this other than he'll be competing against Jay again, but whatever.  I was never a big fan of Conan and his brand of humor, but I do feel bad for him.  Everyone picked up and moved out to LA, which seems kind of dumb to me.  I don't know why they couldn't have kept filming in the same studio....

And Leno has people talking shit about him because Conan and Letterman say it's his fault.  I understand Conan being upset, but good lord...  Maybe Leno did plan this from the beginning, but since we don't have a time machine and a mind reader we don't know that for sure.  He's been making all kinds of nasty comments about NBC too.   

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sparkling Angel on January 22, 2010, 08:18:45 PM
Honestly, I think Leno is being made a scapegoat here.  We don't know what went on in those meetings.  Jay made a statement on his show the other night that he wanted to keep working, but there was that pesky little anti-competition clause that kept him from moving to another network, and so, he was put on at ten.

I know that clause really exists because they were talking about it when Katie Couric (sp?) left Today to go to ABC.  She couldn't start at ABC for 6 months because of this clause.  So I know he wasn't making it up. 

I don't understand why people seem to think that Jay Leno has some super power or something that when he says jump an entire network asks how high.  That is not the way things work.  Obviously someone high up thought the ten o' clock show was worth the risk.  I really don't like the way this one man is being demonized.  We really don't know what went on behind closed doors.  NBC has been making a lot of stupid decisions lately.

I think everyone got a raw deal.  I really don't know what stake Letterman has in this other than he'll be competing against Jay again, but whatever.  I was never a big fan of Conan and his brand of humor, but I do feel bad for him.  Everyone picked up and moved out to LA, which seems kind of dumb to me.  I don't know why they couldn't have kept filming in the same studio....

And Leno has people talking shit about him because Conan and Letterman say it's his fault.  I understand Conan being upset, but good lord...  Maybe Leno did plan this from the beginning, but since we don't have a time machine and a mind reader we don't know that for sure.  He's been making all kinds of nasty comments about NBC too.   

True..

I find myself wondering if O'Brien cost them all that cash how much Leno would have cost them. That is a really nasty  buy out.