The Circle Starts Again (We're starting, still Recruiting! Freeform game)

Started by Angie, October 31, 2014, 11:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

The year is 2010. The place is Seattle. As Autumn falls, a new menace rears its head. A dark, corrupting power that threatens to devour all things in its path.

You never heard about it? That's because of the Circle. The Circle is a loosely connected group of Mages and Hunters (explained below) that come together to face legendary, world-ending threats...and then retreat back into the shadows, no one knowing they were even there. In essence, kinda like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. In fact, almost exactly like the League.

What is this menace that threatens Seattle, and soon the world? Well, a core tenet of magic is the knowledge that life is magic. Merely being alive means having a spark of magic in you. This dark power is an unnatural thing, a land formed by a complete absence of magic. Known by many titles-Shadowland, Blighted Land, Corruption, etc.-this dark place sucks in the magic that flows into it, draining the world of its very soul. Without intervention, the Shadowland will consume and destroy all life on Earth. Being unnatural, there is something within the Shadowland that is the direct cause of this infection.

That is why the Circle is needed. From all walks of life, they are gathered. Together, they can destroy the anchor holding the Shadowland. Without the core, the Shadowland will be healed by the world's natural flow of magic. Will you answer the call? Will the Circle start again?

Brief explanation of terms: Mages and Hunters are technically both 'magical'-both Mages and Hunters can have supernatural abilities. The main distinction is that Mages are capable of controlling external magic (i.e. the natural flow of magic) while Hunters are stuck with internal magic (the magic their own bodies possess). The big difference that this makes is that Hunters tend to have weaker supernatural powers then Mages do, but compensate with big weapons.

Okay, time for new stuff!

Elements

Fire: Cleanse the world with your flame! Fire magic is brutal, fast, and deadly. It can easily get out of control if not controlled, so the hot headed Fire mages tend to not last long. Fire mages are typically aggressive, rude, and prefer fast solutions to planning. Opposed by Water.

Water: Ever flowing, ever seeking, and holding plenty of mystery. Water magic is capable of plenty of things: Healing, attacking, defending, destroying, freezing, and even poisoning! Water mages tend to think outside the box, and prefer planning. Opposed by Fire.

Air: Be free, be unrestrained by limits. Air magic is just as offensive and defensive as others, but tends to work by attacking with projectiles from afar and redirecting return fire. Air mages come across as carefree and foolish, but just as often can come up with plans that no one else would have thought of. Opposed by Earth.

Earth: The land guards its riches fiercely, borrow its power and be invincible. Earth magic is heavy on defense, but a punch from a stony fist often leaves people down and out. Earth mages tend to be quiet, only speaking when needed, and incredibly patient. Opposed by Air.

Life: All magic is life, but some can hold the pure power of living beings in their hands. Life magic is where 70% of the healing lies, but has plenty of offensive and defensive options, including a variety of poisons! Life mages tend to be compassionate and caring, but god help you if you harm someone close to a Life mage. Opposed by Death (odd, huh?)

Death: All life eventually crumbles, for Death is lord of all. Death magic includes a lot of slow acting methods-curses, poisons, and more. They have little direct offensive, but Death mages are capable of animating corpses and using them for their own ends. It is not uncommon for a Death mage to have an entourage of zombies and skeletons. Death mages tend to put other mages off, but Death mages themselves are usually scholarly and quite philosophical (more so then mages usually are, that is!) Opposed by Life (who woulda guessed?)

Light: Shine bright, tomorrow may never come. Light magic contains some healing and lots of defense, and when the offense comes, it is proceeded by blinding light that renders enemies incapable of defending. Light mages tend to be possessed of a Knight Templar attitude, convinced that their way is the right path. Opposed by Darkness.

Darkness: Trickery, deception, and damn damn lies. Darkness is no more 'evil' then Death is, Darkness merely holds the title of most deceiving magic. Illusions, tricks, and even the power to drain enemies lie within Darkness's sphere. Darkness mages love to extend their illusions to all things, often being con-men or other tricksters, and occasionally playing the part of a mentor who strings the student along with riddles and deception. Opposed to Light.

Time: The clock strikes 12 when I SAY it does. Time magic is odd. Offenses age the target, for example, while defensive turn back the clock to before the opposing spell was cast. This does NOT allow time travel: Such an effect is impossible. Time mages are quite patient, but when the time comes (heh) they act faster then any other mage, as they can meld more actions into one second then any other. Opposed, oddly, by Gravity-no one is really sure how.

Gravity: Fun with Fundamental Forces of the universe. Gravity magic works by altering the attraction between two bodies by altering the weight of said object-a Gravity mage could fire an arrow that hits like a train as an offense, or make an enemy unable to move as a defense because they're so heavy. Gravity mages tend to have odd personalities-one moment, they're as light as a feather, the next, as serious as Earth mages get. Opposed by Time-again, no one really gets it, it just kinda happens that way.

Entropy: Decay and chaos, and everything Schrodinger did in that one experiment. Entropy is the power of decay and chaos, with offenses ranging from decaying a target to mutating them into a weird and crazy creature (that's much easier to kill, hopefully!). Defenses focus the raw power of decay and chaos to negate enemy attacks. Entropy mages tend to be erratic, wild, and just one step short of the cuckoo's nest. Opposed by Aether.

Aether: Magic's purest form, distilled into human hands. Aether magic is the rawest form of magic, and as such is incredibly powerful. Aether offenses straight up ignore defenses, and tend to manifest as the power of lightning. Aether defenses, on the other hand, have the caster phase out of existence entirely. Aether mages have personalities that are just straight up alien, as if they aren't seeing the same things everyone else is. Opposed by Entropy (as even magic decays).

I can't do the coding stuff, so bear with me. Character sheet below!

Player:

Name:

Nickname/Alias: (Not required)

Age: (Most Circle members are at least 21. Prodigies exist, but they prefer full adults of drinking age in America)

Vital Stats: (Things like height, weight, eye color, orientation, etc. Fill out as much or as little as you like).

Mage/Hunter: Pick one and read instructions below.

Elements: Mages may have up to three. In order to keep this simple, I'm going to assign a point system: Elements are rated from 1-10. You have 5 points to distribute. So if you have three, you're not going to be really good at any of them, while having one makes you extremely good. Hunters will have one element selected-Hunters do not actually use magic, but whatever element they are indicates which element they are strong/weak against (strong to your element, weak to the others). Mages will also be possessing a "base" element, make sure you mark which one yours is.

Powers/Skills: Hunters will get their fun in here. Hunters may have up to three powers, subject to GM approval (I'll be submitting a Hunter of my own to give you guys an example). Skills represent mundane training. Characters may have any number of skills, but be reasonable and try to keep a theme, you know? An accountant is unlikely to be an expert sniper, you dig?

Gear: Mostly mundane stuff, but you may have one minor magical item (subject to GM approval, again).

Personality:

Bio: Be as detailed or as not as you like.

Extra: Wanna include something? Put it here.

Link to character thread, which will take you everywhere else: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=216805.0
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Rajah

Looks pretty cool. Character sheets? Also: power level in pop culture terms, and maybe a few examples of Mages and Hunters?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Angie

Quote from: Rajah on November 01, 2014, 12:17:42 AM
Looks pretty cool. Character sheets? Also: power level in pop culture terms, and maybe a few examples of Mages and Hunters?

Will all be coming if there's enough interest. I've posted enough plot to get you guys hooked  ;)

Lynnette

I'm interested, hopefully this game attracts some more attention soon.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Cuchulainn

Interested, but curious where the hunter's get their powers from.

Izaya Orihara

Well, if I had to give a reason for my actions, I guess it's because I love people. I guess I wanted to see the faces that mankind has to offer.

Angie

Quote from: cuchulainn on November 01, 2014, 10:06:20 AM
Interested, but curious where the hunter's get their powers from.

Technically, the same place Mages do-that spark of magic that exists within all living things. I posted that original stuff when I was really tired, I should explain it a bit better.

Cuchulainn

Meant more what controls what aspect it takes and what are the limitations, same with magic.

Angie

Quote from: cuchulainn on November 01, 2014, 10:55:45 AM
Meant more what controls what aspect it takes and what are the limitations, same with magic.

Ah, that should be explained once I get character sheets and guidelines for powers up. However, magic being a wild and variable thing, a Hunter's powers can take almost any aspect. The only limitation is that the power comes from within, while a Mage can grab onto external magic flows and use them for their powers.

Ironically, this actually makes Hunters better in the Shadowland. In the Shadowland, there's nothing for a Mage to grab onto to power a spell, so a Mage is also stuck using their internal reserves. Hunters do it all the time anyway, so they don't have to acclimate themselves to a new way of using their power-they just keep doing what they were doing.

If this gets too confusing, though, I'll just drop the distinction and be like "we're all badasses who have magical abilities, okay?"

Angie

Derp! I never even mentioned something important: This game is going into the Bondage board. Since we're all going to be on the same team (sorry, villains!) anything NC related would make things rather awkward at the office next morning. Not that regular, wholesome sex can't make things awkward, but, well, you get what I mean!

Lynnette

One thing I would like to mention since you didn't mention it - Do you plan on locking mages/hunters to specific crafts within magic? I'd say it's a good idea, as it increases the need to rely on one another, unlike if everyone can use everything but specializes within something, where you can still manage even if you focus on something else.

Basically, what I mean to say is that I think forcing people to choose one type of magic to use, alternatively alterations of one form of magic (Ice + water as an example, both of which being water-based, fire + lightning as another). You could also implement ways for hunters to extend their mana-capability, say through objects, artifacts etc, maybe gemstones like in Eragon (I can go more in depth if you'd like, but basically, it's like batteries, has to be charged up with magic from the user on their off-time) but that's just one option, there's plenty of others.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Angie

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on November 01, 2014, 02:37:00 PM
One thing I would like to mention since you didn't mention it - Do you plan on locking mages/hunters to specific crafts within magic? I'd say it's a good idea, as it increases the need to rely on one another, unlike if everyone can use everything but specializes within something, where you can still manage even if you focus on something else.

Basically, what I mean to say is that I think forcing people to choose one type of magic to use, alternatively alterations of one form of magic (Ice + water as an example, both of which being water-based, fire + lightning as another). You could also implement ways for hunters to extend their mana-capability, say through objects, artifacts etc, maybe gemstones like in Eragon (I can go more in depth if you'd like, but basically, it's like batteries, has to be charged up with magic from the user on their off-time) but that's just one option, there's plenty of others.

There are 'Elements' being planned. Mages start out life being able to naturally grasp one Element, and might eventually learn another (game terms: Mages can use up to three Elements, but won't be very far in any path if they choose all three. Specializing in one makes you really good, though). Elements will also have opposing elements that most Mages can't really learn (Fire/Water, Life/Death, and more.).

Hunters will have access to items that make them more powerful, as well. From mana batteries to magical weapons and other wondrous and amazing items. A Buddhist Monk, for example, might have a magic staff that makes his mystical acrobatic powers go from the upper limit of human skill to "the dude just grinded down a beam of light" (although, that would probably be loot from a mission of some kind...oh no I said too much!)

Sain

Heh, this looks pretty sweet. What sort of theme were you thinking for the campaign? Is it going to be all black trench coat moody secrecy and hushed conversations under an umbrella or more wands & guns banging loud in the streets while flipping a big middle finger to the authorities. I can see it has a thick line of plot in a pretty central position so I would also like to ask what sort of pacing would that plot have. Is there time for any major character development over the weeks, months or years or is this more of a single mission kinda thing?
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Angie

Quote from: Sain on November 01, 2014, 02:47:22 PM
Heh, this looks pretty sweet. What sort of theme were you thinking for the campaign? Is it going to be all black trench coat moody secrecy and hushed conversations under an umbrella or more wands & guns banging loud in the streets while flipping a big middle finger to the authorities. I can see it has a thick line of plot in a pretty central position so I would also like to ask what sort of pacing would that plot have. Is there time for any major character development over the weeks, months or years or is this more of a single mission kinda thing?

There will be several missions, slowly revealing the cause of the Shadowland until enough intel has been gathered and the Shadowland is weak enough to risk a direct assault. Expect character development as you guys get more and more badass from blowing up twisted unholy monstrosities.

Also, The Circle will try to keep things secret, but if the Shadowland progresses from "wilderness outside Seattle" to "actually being IN Seattle", then there will be direct action with stunned onlookers, authority figures trying to keep control of the situation, and the Circle likely having to do a ton of clean-up work: Mind wiping, disproving Youtube videos, the works.

Sain

I'm not sure if these are just a bunch of silly unnecessary questions, but I like to have a firm grasp of the mood of the settings, so please indulge me. By more badass do you mean that the characters at start are not at their peak yet, but still developing. Or is the scale of this event just such that even people who would have thought they had achieved full potential will break their limits in battling it. Are these player characters (I'm assuming a handful of people) representing the worlds only defense against this supernatural threat, or is this circle some larger collective organization? Would the player characters then also be taking responsibility over the consequences of this to the civilian populace by doing that information dispersing and possible political maneuvering, or would they have some sort of babysitters for that. Would there even be times when the characters would be forced to kill other humans and deal with the feels involved in that to protect this great evil truth?

wander

I'll put my hand up to say I have some tentative interest in this... :)

Angie

Okay, let me take this question by question-and never feel bad for asking questions, others likely have your same question.

QuoteDo you mean the characters at start are not at their peak

That's exactly it. In addition, the nature of Magic is that no one is ever truly at their peak, but the characters are going to start being pretty low on the scale-I like it when characters grow.

QuoteAre the player characters the world's only defense?

Yes. Mortals can fight and kill Shadowland creatures, but the Circle is really the only group capable of destroying it utterly. The Circle is likely to be larger then our players though, with a large chunk of the Circle either unable to make it or NPCed by me (or a co-GM if this gets big enough).

QuoteWould the characters be taking responsibility over the civilian populace?

See the post I gave to Reaper. There may indeed be some political maneuvering. There's going to be something of a mission structure, and when I feel the actions of the Shadowland or the Circle warrant a need to respond to rising public panic, I'll insert a mission to deal with it.

QuoteWill there be times when the characters will be forced to kill humans?

Innocent mortals? Fuck no. Options exist, from mind wiping (which I'm making as a general function of magic to make it easier for us) to convincing them that what they saw was a hoax. However, there will be other Mages that are, for some insane fucking reason, on the Shadowland's side. They die.

Oi, and now with all this interest, I have to actually put up character sheets and relevant info!

Sain

Thanks, that about clears up my initial wonderings. I'll wait until you add your info before asking more things.

Angie

Whoo, just got done making 12 elements (although I can cut Time and Gravity if that weird pairing doesn't make any sense) and the character sheet! Have fun, all!

wander

I'll be working on a Mage character with two elements for your game then Angie! :)

This looks like it could alot of fun! :)

Angie

Oop, added the fact that Mages also need a base element. So, a Fire mage would be weak to Water attacks!

wander

The base element would probably be the one you assign more ponts in, right?

Lynnette

Quick question, is it possible to kind of... You know what, I'll send you a PM, I like being a bit secretive, and I hate requesting things publicly.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Angie

Quote from: wander on November 01, 2014, 04:06:41 PM
The base element would probably be the one you assign more ponts in, right?

Not entirely. It's just the one you manifested first when you gained the ability to cast magic (which can happen in any way or form, be creative!)

Angie

As I'm waiting, might as well make two examples for ya!

Player: Angiejuusan

Name: Angelo

Vital Stats: 5' 10", 200 lbs, blue eyes, black hair, bisexual.

Mage/Hunter: Mage

Elements: Aether 3 (Base), Life 2

Powers/Skills: Competent sword fighter, decent pistol user, incredibly good with math and technology.

Gear: Aside from mundane gear, Angelo has a sword enchanted with the power of Fire, allowing him to add fire damage to his sword attacks. Also carries a 9mm pistol.

Personality: Caring and compassionate, while also seeming to have a hard time understanding his fellow Circle mages. Not that he doesn't try-he does his best to get along, but he has a knack for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Bio: Born and raised in Wenatchee, he moved to Seattle after his powers started to develop at age 13. He teamed up with another Circle mage and learned the ways of Aether and Life magic. He runs a small hotel in Seattle, which often serves as a useful base for Circle business. With an actual Shadowland on his hands, he's sent a call for help to everyone in the Circle, with the phrase "Come to Seattle, the Circle starts again" somewhere in the request.

Player: Angie

Name: Harold Dean

Nickname/Alias: The Dragon Warlord

Vital Stats: 6' 0", 250 lbs., blue eyes, black hair, straight.

Mage/Hunter: Hunter

Elements: Fire

Powers/Skills: Power 1: Flight, can grow a pair of Dragon wings and use them to fly.

Power 2: Fire Breath: Do I have to explain?

Power 3: Dragon claws: Grow claws, rip throats.

Swordsman: Skilled with any kind of bladed weapon, prefers his big two handed blade, though.

Marksman: Amazingly skilled with all varieties of firearms.

Leadership: His presence inspires his allies to fight harder, and he has an easier time commanding teams then others do.

Gear: As far as weaponry, he carries a two handed sword, an M-16 assault rifle, and a S&W .45 Magnum. Also owns a Chevy pick-up truck.

Personality: Gruff and abrasive, but kind and caring at other times. In the field, he's all business. At home, he's a lot less serious face.

Bio: Several generations ago, a dragon mated with one of Dean's ancient ancestors. For most of his family, it meant nothing. For him, it meant having dragon style powers and a knack for combat. He was swiftly recruited by the Circle.

Dean adopted Angelo when Angelo was 2 years old-it was a bad situation for all involved (except Dean) and neither of them like talking about it. Dean raised Angelo like a true son, but kept his powers hidden until Angelo manifested the power of Aether magic. Together, they moved to Seattle, where they help Circle members with a warm bed and a few extra boxes of ammo as they move around the world. Dean himself owns a gun shop in Seattle, offering a 20% discount to card carrying Circle members-more if he owes you one.

Lynnette

Player: ReaperDouble0

Name: Adreanna Tenebris

Vital Stats:
    • 5'3" foot tall (5'5" with shoes)
    • Roughly 75 lbs (34KG)
    • Blood-red eyes
    • Bisexual

Elements:
    • Darkness (5)
    Powers:
    • Shadow-manipulation (Solidification, manipulation)
    • Blending (Cloaking presence)
    • Replica-production (Producing a life-like replica of a person)
    • Cloaking (Making a small space fade into darkness for a short while)
    Skills:
    • Natural senses (Very good ears and nose)
    • Agile (Very quick moves)
    • Nightvision

Gear:
    • One extremely poisonous tanto-dagger (causes strong hallucinations, dizziness and strong sickness, the combination being enough to kill a human target in less than a minute)
    • One Japanese fox-mask (Being worn nearly constantly)
    Personality: Adreanna is a woman of few words. She hardly ever opens her mouth, unless she believes she has a reason to, and even then, her words tend to be cloudy and hard to understand, being full of riddles and whatever confusing element she manages to pump into it. She normally cuts the act if she takes off the mask, which makes some believe that the riddle-filled speech is related to the mask, though it has yet to be confirmed.

Bio: Nothing much to say to be honest, her life has been rather straightforward. She was born by a pair of magus, so it wasn't surprising that she had talent for it as well. She pursued darkness magic like her father did, and became quite talented. For a while, she didn't use it for much else than making life a little bit easier, but when she got recruited into The Circle, she started to do jobs for them.

Extra: Apparently the list-coding is broken.[/list]
    Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Angie

I should probably mention-Reaper, your stuff is perfect, but since your Element is Darkness, there's no need for you to spell out your powers. Adreanna can do all that and more with her mastery of Darkness.

So now might be a good time to mention how the magic works: You tell me what you want to do with your magic, and I tell you if you can do that at your current level of elemental mastery. If not, get creative.

wander

Just a quick character here for looking over. I can change things around pretty easily to ease approval if needed. This is more to get the character in early... :)

===

Player: Wander

Name: Jake Avernia

Vital Stats: Male. Dark hair, hazel eyes. 5'6 and around 150lbs. Bi erring on feminine appearance.

Elements:

• Death 3
    • Gravity 2

Skills:

• Gifted Artist: Great for painting more complex runes, pentagrams etc for rituals
    • Sneaky: Being small and limber, they're good at hiding and general savvy based abilities
    • Random Trivia Guy: Knows all sorts about things most people don't tend to bother remembering
    • Sniper: The art of the head-shot has been perfected by regular practice

Gear: Mundane stuff and an enchanted laser-sight fitted pistol that powers up rounds with elemental power.

Personality:
    Jake is smart and friendly. His small builds lends him to be laid back and let others do as they wish most of the time. He tends to step up more when he has to. That doesn't mean he doesn't do much though, he's talkative, flirty and quite analytical, hanging back to get his position just right. Jake tends to be neutral on matters but can also be quite unpredictable at times. He likes to have fun and dislikes bullies.

Bio: Jake was a regular guy growing up, as much as someone geeky like him could be, of course. He was brought into the Circle from the age of 20 when he was found by another Mage, Jake's powers weren't completely under his control and thankfully he was brought in and taught how to refine and use his abilities. He is motivated to keep the fight of the Circle going as he is a firm believer in freedom and opposes tyranny wherever it rears it's head.

Extra: Nothing quite yet.

Angie

wander

Cool! I am gonna see at some point if I can get a character image up also. Just for the visual. I have a specific kind of image in mind, so shouldn't be too hard to sort out and post up. :)

Drake Valentine

Eh, what would fall under object manipulation or is there anything that could bring objects to 'life' such as control magic?  >.> 

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
    Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
    Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Angie

Quote from: Drake Valentine on November 01, 2014, 08:55:30 PM
    Eh, what would fall under object manipulation or is there anything that could bring objects to 'life' such as control magic?  >.>

Gravity is probably where object manipulation is. As for bringing objects to life...whoo. Gonna need a bit of elaboration, my friend.

Drake Valentine

Thinking of making 'puppet master' type character.

Someone that's magic that can resonate and give more 'identity' to an object while it is controlled. Of course, that too could be in later stages when magic upgrades. Basically going for creations that may be controlled through commands but still have their own personalities to them. >.> Or may even act individually within their master's vicinity.

Probably would entail a mixture of magic since I don't see any actual 'manipulation' category.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Angie

Quote from: Drake Valentine on November 01, 2014, 09:08:08 PM
    Thinking of making 'puppet master' type character.

Someone that's magic that can resonate and give more 'identity' to an object while it is controlled. Of course, that too could be in later stages when magic upgrades. Basically going for creations that may be controlled through commands but still have their own personalities to them. >.> Or may even act individually within their master's vicinity.

Probably would entail a mixture of magic since I don't see any actual 'manipulation' category.

I can see a really good Life or Earth mage doing that. Life controls living essence, while Earth could probably make golems too.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 01, 2014, 09:16:24 PM
    I can see a really good Life or Earth mage doing that. Life controls living essence, while Earth could probably make golems too.

Excuse typos, on cell.

I was thinking 'living' dolls. Be they machines, artifical crafted manqueins, or reanimated humans.... Latter probably creepiest of three.

Angie

Quote from: Drake Valentine on November 02, 2014, 01:19:20 AM

Excuse typos, on cell.

I was thinking 'living' dolls. Be they machines, artifical crafted manqueins, or reanimated humans.... Latter probably creepiest of three.

Definitely Life, then.

Sain

About dem hunters... so what if the magic item wasn't that minor, but to balance it out would rather be pretty much the source of much of that hunter's powers?  I've been thinking of this well dressed gentleman hunter with gravity type walking cane that can expand and become larger staff with a large steel ball in one end that can further shatter into some sort of multilayered magical gyrospcope that somehow enables the hunter to swing that mace around faster than he should and maybe double it to work as some kinda funky staff broom for flying. Could be an heirloom or some artefact that he just happened to come across.

Lynnette

Quote from: Drake Valentine on November 02, 2014, 01:19:20 AM

Excuse typos, on cell.

If it was re-animated humans, it would be necromancery, which falls under death.
    Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Rajah

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on November 02, 2014, 05:56:07 AM
    If it was re-animated humans, it would be necromancery, which falls under death.

Maybe. You could say re-animated humans are different than zombies - powered by Life, they're like people (maybe healthier and stronger) and are intelligent and relatively free-willed ("I can release the spell and kill you" is pretty compelling). Zombies and skeletons and such are powered by Death, making them unconcerned with pain, injury, or fatigue and with an innate facility for harming living things.
    "They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Drake Valentine

Well I am starting with dolls and moving up, assuming skills/magic upgrades, which I hope since it is power 1-10.

Drake Valentine

Player:
    Drake Valentine
    Name:
    Tora Rozkov
    Vital Stats:
    • 5’9” Height
    • Roughly  155lbs
    • Yellow Eyes
    • Hetrosexual
    Mage/Hunter:
    Mage
    Elements:
    • Life (3)
    • Entropy (1)
    • Time (1)
    Powers:
    • Command - Tora's mixture of magic defies natural physics. He can bring life to objects, mainly the dolls he has created over the years of study within the Circle. This is far from perfect, he still has to be within a vicinity to maintain control over them, however they also are not just artificial entities. They are lifelike and have personalities of their own, despite how small. Many speculate this is through forbidden alchemy or even the butchering of magic by binding it together. Unfortunately he can only actively command one at one time without the cost of his freedom of movement.
    • WIP
    • WIP
    • WIP
    Skills:
    • Martial Artist (Unlike other Mages, he takes direct approach and can coordinate his fighting style with his puppets)
    • Strategist (He is a natural born tactician and often exploits any weakness he finds. He uses this also with others or with his puppets.)
    • Tinker/Alchemy (Though this goes mainly to crafting new toys or improving/upgrading present ones. 'Spoils of war,' after all.)

Gear:
    • Headphones (Nothing special)
    • Puppet(s) (Whichever he takes along on a mission will alter his fighting style or approach.)
    Personality:
    Tora is what one would call an elitist through and through.  At most times he is quiet and reserved, staying to himself and his humanoid dolls. While there are other moments where he may be looking down upon any around him if they are not giving their all or showing signs of weakness. Tora is not easily swayed by emotions, he has had his fair share of encounters before his stay within the Circle, where some may choose to flirt with him or flat out try to fight him; trivia matters as those never got to him and he often met such issues and other incidents head on, professionally and even coldly at that.

His strongest point is that same cool nature of his, he has a knack at general strategy and finding the quickest means to an end for any fight. It is not to say, all his tactics are tasteful, some of them are outright dirty if it means he comes off top and wins. Of course, his methods are also dangerous to the well being of any that may partner with him, he does not spend time to look over the minor details of someone getting hurt or killed; such is the small sacrifices in any bout. He expects those around him to follow orders to a T and if not, then the consequences that come are their own.

The darkest attribute of his personality is that his way of thinking focuses on one simple factor, that he and everyone else is a tool of the Circle in which they serve. Those that may lose their way; why, he does not mind helping them find their path back along it. He believes everything can be fix with a bit of tinkering and would not mind getting his hands on some lively subjects for doll creation. One of his current dreams in becoming a master Mage is to not have as many restrictions with his toys and to create more life-like creations through forbidden means.

Bio:
    TBA

Extra:

Puppets. Presently he can use only one puppet in battle and must be within vicinity of it to use.

NubianLegend

Kendrick King

Player: NubianLegend

Name: Kendrick King

Nickname/Alias: Bruiser King, 黒竜 Kokuryū (Black Dragon)

Vital Stats:

• 6'1" (186 cm)
    • 190lbs (86 kg)
    • Reddish eyes
    • Straight

Elements: Air

Powers:

• Floating/Gliding
    • Instantaneous blurring
    • Wind Release
    • Ice-melting stare

Skills:

• Raw Athleticism
    • Advanced Swordsmanship
    • Mixed Martial Arts
    • Ambi-dexteriety
    • Manual Handiness(He can fix or create just about anything)
    • Violin technique

Gear: His motorbike, his sword as pictured, one flare gun, his prepaid burner,  and his stashe.

Personality: Kendrick is a talented up-and-coming agent within the group of mages and hunters known as "The Circle". Personality-wise, Kendrick is a free soul marching to the beat of his drum. Not to be confused with typical depictions of free-rogue type characters. He does possess generally good social skills.  Despite his tough guy appearance and persona, Kendrick sits rather comfortable on the mellow end of the personality spectrum. Kendrick lives up to his tough-as-nails persona, as he has a sort of muted ruthless proclivity toward his work, but as interesting are the many hidden depths and idiosyncrasies that lie within the man and his unorthodox personal code.

Bio: TBA

Extra: King's Theme.

Angie

Quote from: Sain on November 02, 2014, 05:18:47 AM
    About dem hunters... so what if the magic item wasn't that minor, but to balance it out would rather be pretty much the source of much of that hunter's powers?  I've been thinking of this well dressed gentleman hunter with gravity type walking cane that can expand and become larger staff with a large steel ball in one end that can further shatter into some sort of multilayered magical gyrospcope that somehow enables the hunter to swing that mace around faster than he should and maybe double it to work as some kinda funky staff broom for flying. Could be an heirloom or some artefact that he just happened to come across.

That could work. Let's start with the weapon idea though-your artifact might also grow in power as you do!

Drake and Nubian, you guys are good. We have a serious lack of ladies in the Circle. Well, I should be getting the OOC and IC and Character threads up soon, as well as an explanation of the various missions you'll be sent on!

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 02, 2014, 12:11:22 PM
    That could work. Let's start with the weapon idea though-your artifact might also grow in power as you do!

Drake and Nubian, you guys are good. We have a serious lack of ladies in the Circle. Well, I should be getting the OOC and IC and Character threads up soon, as well as an explanation of the various missions you'll be sent on!

But, but, but. Tora has plenty of ladies.  XD

My god, I can see roommates becoming weird/freaked out entering a room full of female 'lifeless' dolls. :3

Sain

Almost forgot! Something I must ask before getting too into character creation. What sort of posting pace and size were you (and why not other players) imagining for this game? Will it be couple of sentences per exchange or paragraph(s). Personally I prefer longer and slower, but would rather not wait until game start to realize my posting speed doesn't match the game.

Also, if we're low on ladies I can just as easily make it a woman in a suit :P You know in the style of Saber from fate zero.

Angie

Quote from: Sain on November 02, 2014, 12:21:01 PM
    Almost forgot! Something I must ask before getting too into character creation. What sort of posting pace and size were you (and why not other players) imagining for this game? Will it be couple of sentences per exchange or paragraph(s). Personally I prefer longer and slower, but would rather not wait until game start to realize my posting speed doesn't match the game.

Also, if we're low on ladies I can just as easily make it a woman in a suit :P You know in the style of Saber from fate zero.

Blah, knew I was forgetting something. I would like at least once a day so it doesn't lag, and size is a little variable-basically, all i require for posting is that you respond to anything directed at you (or stuff around you on occasion) and then 'advance' a little. So, if a monster suddenly swings a massive blade at an earth mage, I'd expect a response to be he creates a stone barrier and then attacks back. Stuff like that.

Lynnette

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 02, 2014, 12:26:36 PM
    Blah, knew I was forgetting something. I would like at least once a day so it doesn't lag, and size is a little variable-basically, all i require for posting is that you respond to anything directed at you (or stuff around you on occasion) and then 'advance' a little. So, if a monster suddenly swings a massive blade at an earth mage, I'd expect a response to be he creates a stone barrier and then attacks back. Stuff like that.

One post per person each day is quite the extreme expectation, most games expect roughly three well-written posts per week, one per day is pretty much trying to kill those participating. Its fine wanting it, but you can't expect it of people.
    Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Angie

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on November 02, 2014, 12:28:31 PM
    One post per person each day is quite the extreme expectation, most games expect roughly three well-written posts per week, one per day is pretty much trying to kill those participating. Its fine wanting it, but you can't expect it of people.

Hmm, that is quite fair. Okay, ignore what I just said (can you tell this is my first group game?) and do what she said. Three a week.

Lynnette

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 02, 2014, 12:30:12 PM
    Hmm, that is quite fair. Okay, ignore what I just said (can you tell this is my first group game?) and do what she said. Three a week.

Kind of, but you're doing an alright job. Expecting three posts in 1on1 conversations is a fine phase, with aberrations allowed. When people are gone for more than a week, you message them and ask where they are, and if they fall under three posts a week, it's normally because something's up you know, not everyone has many hours to spend every day.
    Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Sain

Yeah, personally I was considering I could make probably 1-3 posts a week indeed. Probably more if there happened to be a just 2 character scene and both me and the other player are around at the same time. The more people you throw in the same scene the more it slows down of course. If people move around in those 4 people groups you'd probably have approximately 1-2 posts a week if you're going fast. I should be able to manage this.

So was the broom/cane/mace concept alright then Angie :D? Perhaps I should go with a suited lady since the party looks rather male heavy.

Angie

Quote from: Sain on November 02, 2014, 12:41:41 PM
    Yeah, personally I was considering I could make probably 1-3 posts a week indeed. Probably more if there happened to be a just 2 character scene and both me and the other player are around at the same time. The more people you throw in the same scene the more it slows down of course. If people move around in those 4 people groups you'd probably have approximately 1-2 posts a week if you're going fast. I should be able to manage this.

So was the broom/cane/mace concept alright then Angie :D? Perhaps I should go with a suited lady since the party looks rather male heavy.

Start with it being a cane/mace. It'll grow into being a broom as well.

NubianLegend

One decent-sized post every other day is more than fine by me as I suppose it is for anyone else. I'm more concerned about the makeup of the game. That's just as important imo.

Sain

Player: Sain

Name: Sophia Wellims

Nickname/Alias: Miss knight.

Vital Stats:
      • Approximately 171 cm (5'6") foot tall with a athletic build.
      • Weighs about 51 kg (112 lb).
      • Bright teal blue eyes.
      • Slightly dominant bisexual. Somewhat inexperienced for her age, but broadcasts the opposite image.

Base element: Gravity

Powers:
      • Majesty. An aura of supernatural charisma or magnetic personality that runs in the family of Wellims. It can work as an outright jedi mind trick against people with weak resistance to the supernatural (mundanes), but even towards mages can help to stop them in their tracks to give the one speaking a chance to explain themselves. Has helped the family get in a comfortable position in both mundane world and within the circle.
      • Spiderwalk. A power little more dignified than it's namesake. Basically allows the hunters with this specialty to walk on walls. Related to their element so for gravity aligned people it would likely look like the wall/ceiling is a floor for them.
      • Bonded weapon. An intricate binding ritual has given the weapon's owner an ability to command and control Grav cane. It can be summoned and dismissed with a small gesture or a command, as well as recalled from distance if control of it is lost.
      Skills:
      • Martial arts with main focus on quarterstaffs, canes and basic unarmed defense.
      • Basic, though not that extensive training with some common firearms.
      • Etiquette and class.

Gear:
      • The grav cane/staff of Wellims. One of the heirloom weapon of the Wellims family. In it's inert form it resembles a regular albeit expensive cane with a small steel ball handle connecting to a few feet long dark cane. However, the weapon can expand and unravel to it's full form. It becomes a 2 meter tall quarterstaff with. The small steel ball expands and shatters into cubical strips of metal that revolve around the center of the tip. Currently Sophia is only able to control the weapon's gravity manipulating properties to make it pack extra punch to her blows.
      • An expensive wardrobe.
      • A perfectly legally registered handgun.
      • Access to family villa and some vehicles. (Whatever makes sense. I'm assuming the characters main struggles won't be of monetary nature anyway.)
      Personality: The general mask that Sophia wears in public could be called gentlemanly. She will respond to every smile and flirt with composed manner and look for opportunities to make others feel good about themselves with little things.

Sophia can be kind, but it is hard to say whether this is due to good heart or the fact that kind behavior tends to result in praise and recognition. She likes to feel admiration and can be somewhat weak for compliments. Due to her lineage the very idea that someone would hate her feels alien to Sophia, and even scary. So while she may put up a strong confident front in her suave majesty, she is rather weak to rejection and negative response.

She pretty much leeches her self image and confidence from others, constantly mirroring her performance and behavior on how they respond to her. Sophia likes having people around even if it is just to have some servants tag along and give her their anemic replies. Alone she quickly begins to feel anxious and begins to tear apart her own persona from the inside.

Being from an older hunter family, she seems to often put consideration on how the supernatural business would affect the civilian populace in a bigger picture. From a young girl she's understood the weight of responsibility placed on those associated with the Circle and seen her own role in it. She often assumes that others should also be fully aware of their position, and can be offended when someone forgets what the fight for and endangers civilians.

Bio: Groomed from birth to become a respectable member of an old wealthy hunter family of Wellims. They have been around for couple of centuries, and though they family does not originate from Seattle, they have a respectable sized villa located there. After coming of age she has delayed her marriage arrangements for years to continue acting as the family's representative in Seattle. To her father's and brothers great dismay however, her focus however has been more in helping the Circle to create safe mechanisms for keeping the city in blissful oblivion rather than to establish good contacts with other hunter & mage families on the West coast.

Extra: The list is indeed a bit funky. Don't make the mistake of putting too many of them there.[/list][/list]

Angie

Sain is good to go!

Also, everyone, the characters thread is up in Bondage human small groups. Still working on Useful Notes and IC, though.

Sain

Angie

You guys please do it, if you can. I'll add a link in the original post.

Izaya Orihara

May be subject to a fair amount of editing, with suggestions appreciated if offered.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
      Player: Izaya Orihara

Name: Alexander Cornelius von Hohenheim

Nickname/Alias: Herrscher der Schatten (Ruler/Master of Shadow)

Vital Stats: 5'10, 113 lb, eyes can alternate between grey-blue and red, heterosexual. Despite how he often seems, he's more submissive than dominant.

Elements: Darkness (3), Death (2).

Powers/Skills: Strategy, occult, literary and scientific knowledge. Skilled with both sword and gun alike, though not so much in unarmed combat.

Gear: An ornate longsword covered in runes and Old High German, which can have magic channelled through it, often sheathed in a cane. M-63 RAK Machine Pistol. Clothes, money, generic stuff.

Personality: Somewhat eccentric and dramatic, as well as highly intelligent and polite. He is an individual who often seems mysterious in the eyes of others, himself rather calculating, ambitious and perhaps overcautious, at times even paranoid. He can also seem arrogant, with an element of his distrust in others going on into a deceitful, manipulative, predatory and ruthless area. He tends to like thinking things through, being uncomfortable with being forced to act prematurely. As ever, he seldom lets others see sides of him that would rather hide. Likewise, Alexander is rather insightful and perceptive, often figuring out the true natures of others rather rapidly. Despite his arrogance, he is aware of his limitations, and can mentally snap when cornered or overpowered.

He is usually emotionally distant, refusing to allow anyone to become too close to him, seeing others mostly as subordinates and pawns, rather than friends, with a certain concept of the strong and the weak.  Due to lack of much in terms of relationships, he's easily flustered and uncomfortable around girls, despite his attempts to hide such things, and his usual talent at deceit. He seems to have little knowledge of the concept of compassion, it not being something that was exactly taught to him.  His mind is quite the complex place, and there are far more elements to it than can be expressed in mere words. He possesses both a superiority complex and an inferiority complex. He usually considers most other people weaker, and beneath him. He treats them as you might expect, yet when he believes others to be stronger- a rare thing indeed, or they have proven themselves to be stronger, Alexander obsesses over them, wanting to become as strong as them, yet also seeming fanatical towards them, and perhaps as scared of them, as well as desiring to be recognised by them.  At times, he also possesses a lack of self-worth. Of course, there are yet many other facets of his personality.

Bio:
      Mostly done- though I can edit and change things if necessary
      Born into an extremely wealthy family of mages, associated with several companies, in Eltz Castle, the castle itself being acquired by the family around two hundred years ago, when the lord of the castle lacked sons, and his daughter married a member of the von Hohenheim House- with the most historically famous member of the minor noble family being Paracelsus (whose full name was Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim), the Renaissance physician, occultist, alchemist, botanist and astrologist, among other things. Thus, the place came into their possession. From an early age, he was seen to be highly intelligent, even possessing eidetic memory, despite being regarded with scorn and hatred by his older sister, Anna, for shunting her to the sidelines in terms of inheritance, due to the continuation of the agnatic-cognatic primogeniture form of succession, preferring the oldest male heir (blame Crusader Kings 2 for me knowing this stuff).

Being fully German, his mother was also said to be a descendent of the family of Germelshausen, a German noble family that had flourished in the 13th century, with a castle that stood in the Thuringian Forest on the Border of Hesse until Konrad von Marburg put most of them to death for their Cathar beliefs, and was said to have died out with the mythical figure known as Christian Rosenkreutz. Said individual being the man who had been raised by Cathars in a monastery, and who had founded the secretive Rosicrucian Order, also being rumoured to have reappeared in the 1700s as the mysterious Count of St. Germain, rumoured by Theosophy to be an immortal, and perhaps a supernatural being known as an Ascended Master, also known as a Secret Chief by the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. The name Germelshausen, may also be related to a tale published in the 1860s concerning a cursed village that sank into the earth long ago and is permitted to appear for only one day every century, a tale of lost love, with young artist who falls in love with a young woman, and him leaving the vicinity just in time to avoid being entombed with the village and its denizens, but thereby being sundered from his love forever, with elements taken from earlier folktales and old German motifs.

Accordingly, with a family history such as his, Alexander found a voracious appetite for history, as well as matters of the occult and supernatural, often finding himself perusing the library of the castle, reading books both old and new, as well as purchasing all manner of obscure books on magic, alchemy, the occult, and supernatural creatures, places and mysterious events, as well as books about the past and cultures of other countries, from Scotland, to the Mayans, to Japan, the arts and sciences, and wars and strategies.  With his interest in books, his literary levels tended to be far higher than others his age. He also had quite a passion for history and mythology, in different parts of the world, including gnostic sects such as Manichaeism and Catharism, among other things, as well as Norse/Germanic and ancient Sumerian myths, Egyptian and Romano-Greek stuff, and various other things. He also had quite the varied taste in music, often listening to classical, as well as rock and metal, among various other things. One such band being Therion, a Swedish symphonic metal band with its members also being part of a Draconian Initiatory Left Hand Path Order known as the Dragon Rouge, lead by the band's unofficial lyricist, and named after a French Alchemical order from medieval times.

Isolated, and having no need to attend school, as he possessed a college level education from his childhood, Alexander accordingly developed a differing view of the world from the average individual, also lacking somewhat in experience with that area, instead being taught by a large and knowledgeable staff of personal tutors who schooled him in whatever he needed to know. His social life at best extended to official functions, and meetings with other noble families and the upper echelons of society. The experience that he did get wasn't always too pleasant, either. Anna von Hohenheim, likewise made opportunity to humiliate and hurt him, torturing and abusing him in secret. This, of course, would make him more distrusting of others, and lead his mind down a darker path. Being treated like he was worthless would have some psychological repercussions, also making him increasingly desire to be recognised, and to have his achievements be recognised, be it by his older sister, or by other people. And on the other end of the spectrum, yet another part of his mind believed that he was indeed worthless, that part becoming apathetic and uncaring.

He often played chess, whilst delving further into texts such as the Key of Solomon, and the Lesser Key of Solomon, as well as the Grimoire of Armadel, and numerous other texts on the occult, demonology, magick, alchemy, rituals and so on. At one point, during a sojourn to southern France, in a forest near village called Belesta, in Ariege, he went as far as to experiment with combining Death and Darkness, and succeeded on his first attempt, creating a demonic familiar from some of the residual energy of those who had died at the ill-rumoured Ravens' chasm- a place where bodies had been dumped since time immemorial, though this killed several people who accompanied him in the process. Alexander cared little for that, though, seeing them as incompetent. He also held the view that death was far from the end of things, and that what one could experience in life was far worse.  The experiment he carried out had essentially combined those types of magic to deceive the dead into believing they were still alive, and drew upon their assorted nightmares, combined with deathly energy to create the aforementioned entity, which refers to itself as Vetis.

In recent times, he has become involved in numerous occult orders and societies, including one named "Der Orden der Ewigen Schwarzen Sonne von Sorath" or The Order of the Eternal Black Sun of Sorath" named in honour of the demon of revelation, the sun, "the unexplained, unexpected, and unknown" as well as miracles, and whom is said to rule the current of energy that deals with the "id", of the human psyche, altered states of consciousness, thought-forms, elementals, and hallucinogens. Often being associated with an ever-burning Black Sun said to exist in another dimension, also being a symbol found within Wewelsburg castle, which was an important site for the SS, being the main site for their occult activities and rituals, with many rumors and myths abounding the place. Whilst one legend claims that Sorath advised Hitler, and served to guard him for a time.

This particular order he has joined has involvement in numerous areas, including a search for hidden knowledge, seeking to reveal unto themselves, the truth regarding many of the supernatural and occult mysteries of the world, whilst also growing themselves in power over magic and alchemy, with elements of the Left Hand Path obvious in some of their ideology, including a belief regarding how rather than serving under gods, they can walk alongside gods themselves, in a manner of apotheosis, holding in themselves a divine potential that can be reached through initiation into the mysteries of the worldwide occult, and with greater knowledge and awakened wisdom, the power of a god, through the investigation of a darker side of spirituality and mysticism. Likewise, there is also a military aspect of the order, with a number of the founders being ex-SS, or heavily associated with them. Accordingly, Alexander also expanded upon his knowledge of strategy, as well as becoming proficient with guns, whilst his noble status granted him some skill with a sword, despite how old fashioned and traditional that may be. He also delves a fair degree into science, combining this with the alchemy of old- or at least the elements of it that can be covered by his magical specialization, with an interest in experimentation in the very borders of what some would call pseudo-science, merged with the occult.

Over a year ago, he came to join the Circle.

Extra: Theme or this, because why not.
      Well, if I had to give a reason for my actions, I guess it's because I love people. I guess I wanted to see the faces that mankind has to offer.

Angie

Alexander is good-I make the point again that "Powers" are a Hunter thing. For mages, your magic is your power.

Drake Valentine

Player:
      Drake Valentine
      Name:
      Felicia Godwind
      Vital Stats:
      • Intersex
      • Silver Hair
      • 5'8 Height
      • ??? Weight
      • Lesbian
      Mage/Hunter:
      Hunter
      Elements:
      Gravity(Leaning)

Powers:
      Skills:
      Gear:
      Personality:

Bio:

Extra:

*Head keyboard.* Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sheet Code (Kudos to Reaper, since I am basically copying her format and quoting/editing it bit, for prior character)

[float=right][img height=###]URL[/img][/float][b]Player:[/b]

[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Vital Stats:[/b]
      [list][*][/list]

[b]Mage/Hunter:[/b]

[b]Elements:[/b]
      [list][*][/list]

[b]Powers:[/b]
      [list][*][/list]

[b]Skills:[/b]
      [list][*][/list]

[b]Gear:[/b]
      [list][*][/list]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Bio:[/b]

[b]Extra:[/b]