D&D for EVIL Characters/Party

Started by OldSchoolGamer, October 19, 2008, 05:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

I never said good ones, they are slutty trash really with the more conniving members hiding in the ranks and moving on the outside but they could have a major role as messengers and news experts among the tribes - besies making ample money following armies around. ;)

OldSchoolGamer

Excellent points, and welcome aboard to Servant Girl and RubySlippers.

Beautiful Lie

I've never gotten to play any DnD period would that be an hinderance to my wanting to join such a thread? Basic character ideas are either 1) Troll Warrior type or 2) Some-race (Possibly elf) of rogue that has skills with traps etc. He presents himself as a noble and gentle fellow but beneath the veneer of kindness is a cold heartless person willing to do whatever it takes to get what he desires. I'll flesh out a character more if you tell me i'm alright to join or tell me if you need me to do other things first to have a go at this :D

Edit: I noticed a high influx of thieves to your campaign, seeing that I think i'd rather go with a calm calculating wizard.
The following sentence is True. The previous sentence is a Lie.

Servant Girl

Not sure how much room there is for manouver but I'd like to play my character as subservient to the others.
Perhaps she's technically their slave- won in a bet.

They can treat her like a slave- she'll run errands, cook meals, clean armour, spy on others etc.
She can be made to carry the heavy stuff, look after prisoners or even bribe a guard with her body.
She'll have to be watched closely though because she resents her position and although she wont run away because she's terrified of what they'd do to her if they caught her, it might be a good idea to tie her up at night...  ;)

Her skills lie heavily in climbing, sneaking, hiding and not being noticed.  She carries a dagger- but is skilled with a dagger- both fighting and throwing.

I'd like her to be human, late teens.

The Great Triangle

Beautiful Lie:  A wizard can be a difficult character for a first time player to play, although second edition D&D isn't all that complicated.  Your character will get exponentially more complex as you level up though.  If you're willing to deal with that, then a wizard will work fairly well.

Servant Girl: A slave makes a pretty good character concept.  I doubt my character would own your character, as he's chaotic, and believes that owning a slave would demean him.  Hound's character might be a slave owner though.  On the other hand, your character might be a particulrly troublesome orphan who Madragail has taken on as an apprentice.  (Sure, he's barely completed his apprenticeship too, but he's got an ego and the ability to convince people to let him try.)  Theoretically, she would end up dual or multi classing to cleric after a while. 
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

GrinningHound

Sorry Ty, I was out of town for the weekend.  I will start working on my character.

I hope you don't mind if my background is a little simple and maybe not the best quality of writing.  To be honest, I really don't like writing backgrounds, and this being a first level character, he doesn't have TOO much of one.  I prefer to develop my characters personalities, and to an extent, bits of their past as I play them.  It makes them more lifelike and interesting, I think.

Beautiful Lie

I'm willing to deal with that, the thing I meana bout D&D is the closest i've come to playing it is Neverwinter Nights. So I -do- have concepts of the art, spell schools etc. Know what types of things I like etc. -but- I have no clue how to play it -in- the D&D setting. If thats not a huge issue then I think the party will find that i'm a rather interesting asset to have around.

Edit: So where do we post our char concept, can I get the D&D thingy from you and a char sheet or something so I can start setting the wizard up and questioning you about viable ideas etc? :)

Beautiful Lie

OldSchoolGamer

Oh, I'm here, waiting for characters to be posted.  If you need any help, let me know through PM or here.

Beautiful Lie

Yes sir I need help aka char sheet set up and stat point workage? You said something about a numbers system? I have a general rough idea of what I want my wiz to do but I need to know what spells I have acess to etc. (Generalist or maybe Illusionist wizzy.)

OldSchoolGamer

See the point-buy system further up the thread:

Name:
Class:
Height:
Brief physical description:

STR:
INT:
WIS:
DEX:
CON:
CHA:
Align:

Background (doesn't have to be long...if you want to be a person of mystery, just state what you're doing in town):

Weapons:

Armor:

Gear:

The Great Triangle

Your general stats for a 1st level wizard are going to be:

Hp: 4 + constitution modification
AC: 10 - dexterity modification

Thac0: 20 (expect to lose fistfights against kittens)

Your likely alignments are:

Lawful Evil: (LE)  The conniving bastard who works within the system, and often has restrictions on his wickedness.  (not in front of the children, please, for example)

Neutral Evil: (NE)  A person who only cares for himself, and what gives him the biggest advantage.  In general, a selfish bloke.

Chaotic Evil: (CE) A partciularly sick individual who not only works for his greatest advantage, but seeks to tear down lawful authorites and structures, like religion and monarchy.  The sort of guy who wants to watch the world burn.

Your weapon choices are:

Dagger: d4 damage, speed 2, 1 handed.  (portable and useful for holding while holding on to spell components)

Staff: d6 damage, speed 4, 2 handed. (if you plan on bopping people on the head when out of sorcery)

Sling: d4 damage for stone, d4 + 1 damage for bullet.  Speed 6, 1 handed.  (A very practical weapon, but sort of dangerous)

Proficiencies and Nonweapon Proficiencies:  

A wizard gets 1 weapon proficiency and 4 nonweapon proficiencies.  A wizard takes a -5 penalty on attacks with weapons with which he is non proficient.  (in other words, don't try it bucko)

Nonweapon Proficiencies:

Agriculture, Animal Handling, Ancient History, Animal Training, Artistic Ability, Blacksmithing, Brewing, Carpentry, Cobbling, Cooking, Dancing, Direction Sense, Ettiquete, Fire Building, Fishing, Heraldry, Linguistics- ancient, Linguistics- modern, Leatherworking, Navigation, Pottery, Reading/Writing, Religion, Riding, Rope Use, Seamanship, Seamstressing, Singing Spellcraft, Stonemasonry, Swimming, Weather Sense, Weaving

Complex Nonweapon Proficiencies:  (these cost 2 slots)

Astrology, Engineering, Gem Cutting, Herbalism, Mining, Riding- Airborne

Spells:  Here's the most interesting spells from various schools: (I'm not sure how many spells you have in your spellbook at 1st level.  I would say that a number equal to your intellegence -12 would be fair, but I'm not the GM.)

Universal: Cantrip (perform stupid magic tricks for an hour)

Abjuration (lost with illusionist): Protection from Evil/Good/Law/Chaos (Provides immunity to mind control and awkward bonuses that amount to -2 AC and +2 saving throw against warded type for 2 rounds)

Alteration: Burning Hands (1d3+2 damage, casting time 3)  Color Spray (a stunning spell which may not allow a saving throw, and affects 1d6 creatures, casting time 1) Enlarge/Reduce (Increases or shrinks the size of a creature by 10% per level of experience) Feather Fall (iconic)

Conjuration/Summoning: Armor (grants base AC 6 until substantial damage taken), Find Familiar (Gain a magical companion  Grease (makes an area slippery, or lubricates magnificently)  Mount (Summons a mule or pony for 3 hours)

Divination: Detect Magic (does what it says on the tin) Detect Undead  Identify

Evocation (lost with illusionist): Magic Missile (1d4+1 auto damage, casting time 1) Shield (For 5 rounds, provedes AC 2 against hand missiles, AC 3 against arrows, and AC 4 against other attacks) Tenser's Floating Disc (creates a floating disc of force that holds 100 lbs. for 40 minutes)  Wall of Fog (Creates a 30 foot cloud bank)

Enchantment/Charm: Charm Person (make a person your friend/lover.  The classic spell for extorting sex)  Friends (Gain 2d4 charisma for 1d4+1 rounds.  Warning: this spell's influence is obvious)  Hypnotism (makes 1d6 creatures within a 30 foot cube highly suggestable for 2 rounds)  Sleep (incapacitates 2d4 HD of monsters with no saving throw for 5 rounds.  Does not work on monsters with 4+3 HD or more Casting Time 1)

Illusion: Audible Glamer (produces an illusory sound), Change Self (appear as someone else for 2d6+2 rounds)  Nystul's Magical Aura (Make a non magic item appear magical or a magical item appear non magical for 1 day) Phantasmal Force (creates the illusion of "any object, creature, or force" within a 500 square foot area of effect)  Spook  (Cause a victim to flee in terror until he makes a successful saving throw Casting Time 1)

Becoming an illusionist requres 16 dexterity, and enables you to cast an additional illusion spell per day.  As a normal first level wizard, you could cast one spell per day.  (selected during your morning preparations)

Ons and Offs

OldSchoolGamer

Some additional background:

The game starts in or near the town of Oldsted.  Oldsted has been around for awhile, and is a mining and farming community.  To the South are plains, and four day's ride is the city of Cedric's Circle, which is fairly prosperous, if unconcerned with the goings-on of the bumpkins of Oldstead.  To the East are hills and fens with a bad, if ancient reputation.  Stories whisper of orcs, trolls, and other fell beasts that were vanquished by human steel long ago, near when the town itself was founded.  The remains of a fortress wall can be found just to the East of town...boys often play there with wooden swords and home-made shortbows.  To the North are the pastures and beyond them, forest.  To the West a day's ride is the ocean.

Olsted is ruled by the Town Council, which as of late seems to be getting on in years and having a harder and harder time actually doing anything useful.  For instance, in the past couple years there have been reports from farmers of livestock missing, yet no one has bothered to organize any sort of militia.  Whispers circulate that the Council has outlived its usefulness...or, worse yet, has actually been subverted by whatever forces are responsible for the disappearances on the outskirts of town.

There are other tales, more ominous...though one must speak to the right people to hear of them...

The Great Triangle

What kind of resource outlay will one of our characters need to get a seat on the town council?  Will it come with signifigant responsibilities?

Also, is it acceptable for my character's estranged father to be a member of the town council and/or a local baron?  (GM preference, although I'm not certain this world has a noble class)

Ons and Offs

OldSchoolGamer

Most of the town council is, or at least represents, old money and well-established interests.  Getting onto it wouldn't be easy, and would probably take some levels, and time.  Estranged fathers on the council, however, is doable.

Beautiful Lie

Name: Nathair Andochas
Race: Human
Class: Wizard
Height: 5'9"
Brief physical description: A tanned human with light blue eyes, a short ponytail of dark brown hair. No facial hair. Moderately 'handsome' he doesn't boast any mass of muscles but seems to have a bit of fluid grace to his movements.

Background: As far as whay he's in town, he's passing through on his journey to collect magic and study to learn more of wizardry. The bare basics which he learnt in his home town from an old witch who died before being able to teach him anything more about the craft than the basics. He was raised in a small country town, a bit wild in nature but overall not a 'horrible' person.

Weapons: Sling, Staff(Used as walking stick most of the time.)

Armor: None

Gear: Travelling Clothes(Soft Leathers), Waterskin, Rations, Grimoire, Flint & Steel.

Player's Note: The DM has his stats spells etc. I have chosen to keep said ingormation secret from others just because it (in my opinion) makes the game more fun to -not- know everything about my char before we start ^.~

The Great Triangle

Good thing Madragail is functionally illiterate.  XD

What god or goddess does your worship?  (or not worship)

Is your character interested in participating in some sort of get rich quick scheme?

Does your character have a mentor in town, or is he just on a pilgrimage?

What does your character think of orphans?

Ons and Offs

Beautiful Lie

Pffft you must've missed that I left all that out for a reason :P you'll just have to pry such information free -in game- >:3

The Great Triangle

Lie, that's a really bad approach, I gotta be honest with you.

A large portion of games are stillborn when they first start, so trying to be all mysterious is just a recipe to help the game fail.  Of course, player conflict is a possibility, but I hope you haven't designed your character around that, and plan to spring your secret reason for wanting to kill us all quite suddenly.

(I apologize if I seem rude, I've just seen this sort of thing happen quite a lot, both online and offline, so your secretiveness naturally raises red flags with me.)

Ons and Offs

Beautiful Lie

Im secret by nature because I play plenty of drow in online RP gaming :P No I have no 'desire' to spring any plot to kill you. I just have a desire to keep things that a character wouldn't openly blab about, secret. Thats all there is to that, so you won't get to find out who or what god I worship (if any) without seeking the info in game. As for orphans my character has no stance upon them. You'll also find that my character is travelling in search of knowledge as spoken in the background. As for get rich quick schemes, well you have to ask that in game too. What motivates my character is for me and the -DM- to know. He has all the extra information that i've kept from posting here so please don't think i'm trying things already. It's just my belief that a character is more interesting if you interact with them to find these things out rather than if you just know from the start.

I hope this answer satisfies you, if you have more questions, concerns please feel free to say so.

OldSchoolGamer

Actually, I'll be putting a damper as DM on anyone with ongoing, unwanted PvP ambitions.  While PvP may make an occcasional appearance, this game is mainly about PCs versus the game world rather than each other.

And speaking of game world, I'm aiming to get that cranked up soon, like in the next couple days.  I'll probably write scenes to insert the individual characters into...or, if you like, you can create your own situation.  Within reason, of course--no starting out with "I just killed Smaug in his sleep and I'm in his treasure room..."   :P

Beautiful Lie

Seeing as I dislike pvp unless conflicts are forced upon me I see no issues with this and whatever 'reasonable' scenario you wish to start me in is fine. I think I might be able to work up some extra info for you mr.DM that i'll send via pm when I get time.

The Great Triangle

I must admit that I really hate the process of gathering the PCs together and getting to know each other, since roleplaying small talk bores me.  I prefer to start with a group of people who already know each other launching on a quest, but I can play those scenes if necessary.

It's mostly just a matter of style.  :)

Also, Ty: What are the good gods in your setting like?  If you haven't defined them, is it alright if the cult of Lunis has a very similar symbol to the cult of the Sun god, and the cult of Kalestra has a very similar symbol to the cult of the god of honesty and forthrightness? 

(I'm thinking that the cult of the sun god would have a golden disc as their symbol, and the cult of Lunis would have a stone disc which can be gilded with gold.)

Ons and Offs

OldSchoolGamer

Commonly worshipped deities:

Gaia: the Earth Goddess.  Spheres include life, plants, and water.  Worship of Gaia is common, especially among farmers, and she has a full temple in Oldsted.  Worship of Gaia is completely socially acceptable.

Lithos: God of Stone and Earth.  Spheres include earth and fire.  Worship of Lithos is fairly common, especially among smiths, and is socially acceptable.

Minerva: Goddess of Wisdom.  Spheres include magic and divination.  Worship of Minerva is common, particularly among women.  Minerva is a socially acceptable, if "early feminist" goddess.  She has a large shrine within the town library.

Celstra: Goddess of magic and the aether.  Spheres include magic, divination, and the stars.  Worship of Celstra does raise a few of the town's more stuffy eyebrows, but is tolerated.  She has a shrine on the west side of the town, which also houses a modest collection of tomes and artifacts presided over by the local magister.

Demetra: Goddess of Nature and Fertility.  Some believe she is the mother of Gaia, a very earthy goddess indeed.  Note that, like nature itself, Demetra is considered neutral, not good.  Worship of her, while not verboten, may get one talked about.  Some legends surrounding Demetra contend that she turned her back on the human race, siding with the beasts of the wilds.

Lunis: Goddess of the moon.  Lunis is a goddess of mystery and madness, and while worship of her is not forbidden, those who follow her do so at the risk of ostracism and suspicion. 

Solaris: God of the sun.  Solaris is considerably more respectable--at least to the townsfolk--than his love-interest Lunis, whom he chases across the aky and consorts with once a month.  Solaris has a shrine-cum-sundial in the middle of the town square, tended by an order of priests who perform weddings once per year at the Maypole.

Driandus: God of the woodlands and trees.  Driandus is worshipped by few within the city, but has a greater following amongst those who ply their trade in the forests near the city.  His temple consists of a Sacred Grove.

Tenshun: God of war and honor.  Worship of Tenshun was primarily an Imperial activity, and with the decline of the Empire has come a decline in the following of Tenshun.  Still, there is a temple in the old armory, which has a yard where the town militia muster.  Among those over 40 or so, worship of Tenshun may get you seen as an Imperial loyalist, but among the younger, there is less of a tie-in between Tenshun and the Empire.  Tenshun's priests hope that as the association between the unpopular Empire and Tenshun wanes, the faith may enjoy a renaissance, not least because the decline of the Empire has left the town in need of a military...

Trssk (pronounced "tris-ska"): Definitely not a deity you want it to be known you are affiliated with, Trssk is the orcish god of home and hearth.  He is not worshiped in the town, or among polite company of any kind.  However, amongst those in the hinterlands who have been raided and are now secretly dominated by orcs and their allies, some have taken to quietly worshiping this orc god to try and curry favor from the orcs.

Bellasho: Also not a deity for polite company, at least Bellasho is a human deity, to wit: the god of thieves and cutthroats.  Having rebelled against the other gods, he was banished from their conclaves and halls.  However, as thievery runs in the blood of humankind, Bellasho cannot be killed, and roams the earth in human(ish) form, maintaining his full divine powers.

(Feel free to add your own deities...and, of course, you will find others as the story progresses)

Beautiful Lie

Are there any gods presiding over magic?