News:

Main Menu

Need some advice

Started by Lyell, November 13, 2010, 03:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyell

This story is a little long, and started almost fifteen years ago. To be honest, I still remember it as though it happened yesterday.

It was after 5th grade summer vacation. We'd moved and I was getting ready to start my junior high school career. Autumn. Usually when one hears that word they think of yellowed leaves, cool breezes and stylish sweaters.  However, this was one of those years in Texas that winter had come three months ahead of schedule. The air was crisp, unforgiving to those who'd not prepared. Blissfully unaware that junior high started an hour later than elementary, I arrived much earlier than needed. The school was deserted, peaceful even. So I found a spot that I felt would be adequate to hunker down in.
  That's when she sat next to me. Her hair was like a pecan shell, a woody brown with streaks of black and coiled like creeping honey suckles. Her eyes were like rich soil. Deep, welcoming... Her skin was pale, blemished by speckles of acne, but I was so enthralled by her that I never noticed.
By some stroke of coincidence we wound up arriving at nearly the same time. Myself by chance and misinformation, she because her father had to commute and the busses didn't stop in their neighborhood. By this age I had already been skeptical of coincidences and the way she smiled when she noticed my gaze was locked sealed it.
  We talked about nothing and everything. That hour seemed to go on forever, but even with time on our side it couldn't have lasted long enough. Over time we grew close. One day, other friends had asked me who she was. When I introduced her as my girlfriend, I expected a jab of some sort, but no protests came. Just a flushed smile.
Over the course of five years we were inseparable. We tried to be as much a part of each other's worlds as possible. In spite of all that our standing never really progressed. I never allowed it to. I wasn't willing to risk damaging what we had. "Cowardly, stupid and disrespectful, I realize now, but I was a little kid then." Is what I've tried telling myself but I can't dismiss my mistakes so easily.
I've tried countless times to befriend and court women I find interesting but no matter how many times I tell myself "you'll never know the truth unless you risk a little harm," I am paralyzed by guilt. "Get over it, it's been ten years." Yeah, been trying. Hasn't worked yet.
I can find her again. She's too popular to avoid contact with anyone who knows her name. Should I try to apologize to her and seek closure or should I find professional psyche help?
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

Oniya

One thing to ask yourself before you start is:  Are you prepared to accept what you might find?  Ten years is a lot of time, and any number of things might have changed.  Could you accept it if you find she is happily married?  Or if she no longer fits the glowing memories from high school?  Or if she tells you not to contact her again?

If you can't, then I'd recommend not looking.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

Frankly, I find it creepy and off-putting when an ex with whom I have not maintained friendship contacts me. This is  especially true for ones from my earlier days of dating, because at that time I was still experimenting with relationships, and I dated people that were not necessarily people I should have or would now want to associate with.

I know this is not true for everyone, but it's not uncommon, either.

Lyell

Ofcourse I don't expect things to have gone unchanged. I'm not expecting to re establish contact or a relationship with her. I've changed too, or I would never have come to terms with the mistakes I've made. On the surface I was a nice guy, but I used to be so emotionally disconnected I lied to even myself. I was horrible and that doesn't sit well with me. I just want her to understand. No heartfelt response, not even acceptance. Just acknowledgement.
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

LIAR

I've recently had an old friend contact me who says he's lived the past six years in regret over never taking that leap to ask me out. Life is short. Find her, talk to her.

lollipop

Quote from: Trieste on November 13, 2010, 05:10:32 PM
Frankly, I find it creepy and off-putting when an ex with whom I have not maintained friendship contacts me. This is  especially true for ones from my earlier days of dating, because at that time I was still experimenting with relationships, and I dated people that were not necessarily people I should have or would now want to associate with.

I know this is not true for everyone, but it's not uncommon, either.

It's really not uncommon, actually. I've had rather creepy and uncomfortable experiences in that manner.

Though recently, I had an ex contact me through social networking. If you can call him an ex, we were like 12 or 13 and barely even ever kissed. It was nice chatting with him and eventually seeing him again. I'd even hesitate to say we are friends now.

That being said, Lyell, I'd say go ahead and try so you don't regret it. But also, try to make contact with NO expectations. That way, if she blows you off you won't be too bothered by it and if she doesn't it'll be a nice surprise.