Different colors and fonts! Help!

Started by Obsidian Isolabella, August 02, 2013, 03:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obsidian Isolabella

So, I've noticed with others here on E that they use other fonts and colors then the ones that are listed in the small little toolbar above the text boxes. Does anyone know how to do this? Or what colors to use? I know there was this one thread that I think was on E that listed a bunch of colors that could be used, but I can't find it anymore. And I'm wondering if it was my imagination.

So, any help would be so very appreciated! :)

Lilias

First row of buttons above the reply box.  The 'font face' drop-down menu shows the font options, while the 'change colour' one offers colour options. Please, for the sake of everyone's eyes, avoid pink, peach and pale blue. >_<
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

I know that color can also be changed using the RGB hex notation.  For example, this color is achieved with this coding: [b][color=#88AA44]this color[/color][/b]

The # sign lets the code know that you're using hex values.  There's a handy color chart of 'Web-safe' RGB values here.  And as Lilias said, lighter colors tend to make for difficult reading.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

You can Google BBC codeing for fonts and colors as well.  However, some (many?) don't work on all computers and devices due to what the browsers will and will not support.  It's pretty much trial and error and what you see on your screen is not what everyone else sees.

Obsidian Isolabella

Ohhh thank you so much Oniya! That's just what I needed.

And I was actually asking because I want to use pink, but that pink that is listed in that drop-down menu is horribly pale, so I wanted something darker and easier for the eyes.

Geraint

The system also accepts a number of other HTML standard color names without using hex notations. (for me, color names are easier to remember than hex codes)

The ones that I have tried and used successfully here are:

magenta
indigo
darkviolet
cyan
darkred
darkgreen
darkorange
royalblue
crimson
hotpink
darkcyan
darkolivegreen
mediumslateblue
olivedrab
tomato

As for type faces you can substitute the name of any standard truetype font in place of the one of the eight that the site has built in.  But the person reading it will only see it displayed in that font if they have the font installed on their system.

Try magenta instead of pink

Obsidian Isolabella

OOHHH thanks Geraint! That will be easier to use than the codes, but I also saved the page that Oniya gave me so I will probably use both. :)

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Obsidian Isolabella

Yeah, their advice was really helpful. ^_^ But I had no doubt that I'd get good advice here. My four year anniversary on E is coming up soon in November, and this is honestly the only place I even trust to get good advice on. Technology wise or RL stuff.

Moraline

I usually sign my pm's with "plum." It's a bit darker then "pink."

~ Moraline

Obsidian Isolabella

Yeah, it is a little less of an eyesore than the pink, but that is still pretty pale. I choose more of this color.

Formless

I hope Elliquiy 2.0 include all these colors. >_<

Obsidian Isolabella

It would make it easier than using the codes, but the codes will still be there even then.

Geraint

Quote from: Raven's Seduction on August 02, 2013, 04:50:17 PM
OOHHH thanks Geraint! That will be easier to use than the codes, but I also saved the page that Oniya gave me so I will probably use both. :)

You're quite welcome, milady, and that makes a lot of sense

Quote from: Formless on August 03, 2013, 01:00:10 PM
I hope Elliquiy 2.0 include all these colors. >_<

Yeah, but can you imagine what the drop down color menu would look like, though  :o  There are 140 HTML standard colors, and potentially 15 million hex coded.

I'd be happy if the posting window color menu was kept manageable but that the colors on it that don't show well would be replaced by ones that do.  :D

I keep favorite links to both color lists, in case I want something special.

Formless

Quote from: Geraint on August 03, 2013, 02:27:31 PM
You're quite welcome, milady, and that makes a lot of sense

Yeah, but can you imagine what the drop down color menu would look like, though  :o  There are 140 HTML standard colors, and potentially 15 million hex coded.

I'd be happy if the posting window color menu was kept manageable but that the colors on it that don't show well would be replaced by ones that do.  :D

I keep favorite links to both color lists, in case I want something special.

Yeah ... It'll be a very long one. Well I guess I'll keep the color page bookmarked. They can come in handy.

Beguile's Mistress

If you all have any suggestions for the new CMS put them in the thread.  They might be doable. ;D

New CMS feature request thread.

Obsidian Isolabella

I think that if they add anymore colors to that drop menu I fear it might be too much. The codes are easy enough though plus what Geriant put up! I'm actually kind of happy beyond my own self serving purposes that I asked this question. ^_^

Oniya

Hm.  It looks like the 'Web safe' colors consist of the values of 00, 33, 66, 99, CC, and FF for each of the three positions.  A six-position menu for red, green, and blue would be relatively compact.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Hera

I want to know what kind of trial-and-error led you to discover tomato as a usable color!

Geraint

Quote from: Hera on August 05, 2013, 08:42:23 PM
I want to know what kind of trial-and-error led you to discover tomato as a usable color!

Well one has to squeeze a lot of tomatoes to get the juice just right. >:)

It's not often that I get a good straight line like that, but I'll be good and tell the truth:  I was looking for a redder orange, and OrangeRed was too bright for the use I had in mind.  So I looked on the chart.   :-[

http://www.html-color-names.com/color-chart.php

The name was serendipitous, and about the only bit of whimsy on the chart other than maybe peachpuff or papayawhip

Formless

I'm not even sure if I should suggest this in the CMS thread but ...

Can forums get a color reel mixer? I think that would be good for changing colors , but might also take alot of work to implement? If it exist for this script that is ...

And I had to highlight the Papayawhip just so I can read it. >.>

Beguile's Mistress

I vote for an option that automatically deletes a color choice everytime anyone has to highlight it to read the words. >:)

Oreo

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 06, 2013, 11:00:24 AM
I vote for an option that automatically deletes a color choice everytime anyone has to highlight it to read the words. >:)
+1

Or just remove non compatible colors from the drop down menu altogether.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Oniya

Quote from: Oreo on August 06, 2013, 11:19:17 AM
+1

Or have the menu display them in the appropriate color on the standard background.  If you can't read it on the menu, you probably can't read it in the post.

Oreo

I can see the need for the lighter colors if we had the option of dark and light skins, but as yet that is moot.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Geraint

Quote from: Formless on August 06, 2013, 05:34:06 AM
And I had to highlight the Papayawhip just so I can read it. >.>

Yeah, but think about all the poor abused papayas:  whipped, pale, and hiding out on the internet  >:)

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 06, 2013, 11:00:24 AM

Awww, that would be no fun, why it would almost be like removing [you]   :o  ;)

Quote from: Oreo on August 06, 2013, 11:19:17 AM
+1

That would make sense, but not be as much fun as replacing them with colors like atomic tangerine, denim, lust, or asparagus  (unfortunately all hex code colors)

Oniya

Quote from: Geraint on August 06, 2013, 02:29:26 PM
Awww, that would be no fun, why it would almost be like removing [you]

*saw what you did there.*

mia h

That would make sense, but not be as much fun as replacing them with colors like atomic tangerine, denim, lust, or asparagus  (unfortunately all hex code colors)

hmmm asparagus
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Obsidian Isolabella

Awww, that would be no fun, why it would almost be like removing [you]   :o  ;)

That's very clever of you there, Sir..

mia h

Quote from: Raven's Seduction on August 06, 2013, 02:35:37 PM
That's very clever of you there, Sir..

Don't you mean it's very clever of [you] ?
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Beguile's Mistress

* Beguile's Mistress admits to being very clever.  It's a thankless job but I'm happy to do it.
:-)

VoluptuousVixen

Oniya

VoluptuousVixen

Sorry I`m completely lost, Tag what?

No fun in removing loislanekent, have I done something to piss you off?

Oniya

Quote from: loislanekent on August 08, 2013, 07:07:47 PM
Sorry I`m completely lost, Tag what?

No fun in removing loislanekent, have I done something to piss you off?

There is a formatting tag, made by enclosing the word 'you' in square brackets, that inserts the username of whoever happens to be reading it at the time.  When I read Geraint's post it has 'Oniya' where you see 'loislanekent'.

(EDIT:  And this is why some people are in favor of removing the [ you ] tag.  >:( )

VoluptuousVixen

Thanks Oniya, Im getting slightly parodied lately, ive had a couple of nasty run ins with other members.
For a second I thought you guys were talking about getting rid of me.

Sorry guys.
Don't listen to the crazy comic lady. 

Geraint

Gives the crazy comic lady a hug for the misunderstanding; no harm meant. 

Quote from: loislanekent on August 08, 2013, 07:12:48 PM
Thanks Oniya, Im getting slightly parodied lately, ive had a couple of nasty run ins with other members.
For a second I thought you guys were talking about getting rid of me.

Sorry guys.
Don't listen to the crazy comic lady.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Geraint on August 08, 2013, 07:14:40 PM
Gives the crazy comic lady a hug for the misunderstanding; no harm meant.

Yeah, Geraint just likes to pick on people.  ;)

*ducks*

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Beguile's Mistress

*hums the Rubber Ducky song for kicks*

The Dark Raven

Beguile's Mistress

steelsmiter

It was mentioned earlier of the possibility of automatically deleting colors from the list if the user had to highlight them. This would cause in me a considerable amount of anger. I would personally like to have the option to do what sjgames calls "fnording" text. Others might call it "making text invisible". I would put that function to great use.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Oniya

Spoilers are good for that.   ;D

Although I think it would be technically complicated to perform a deletion from a menu based on highlights.  For one thing, it would be impossible to tell if the user was highlighting for visibility or in preparation to copy/paste.  All it would take would be a few applicants copying the questionnaire to render the whole site invisible.

The Dark Raven

Where can I find a list of the fonts useable?  I could go into my Word and find it, but I'm looking for a nice scripty one that people might actually be able to read.  I'm a dafontaholic. >.>

Oreo

The drop down box contains the only fonts that will definitely stay the same for everyone using them. : (

Some that I like are Bickham, Brush, and Segoe.

The Lioness

I've been having issues changing any part of my signature to any color (let alone the cooler ones). I can do it in any of my posts, but it just won't change in my siggie. Am I doing something wrong?
♥ Poems ♥ Story Ideas ♥ Ons/Offs ♥ F-List♥ A/A (Updated as of 1/23/2024)♥ Art ♥ My Kingdom ♥

♥Posts owed: 0/2 ♥ Posts completed: 2/2 ♥ Pending: 0 ♥
♥Status: Open ♥

Formless

It can be done for me. I think you need to highlight the whole link+text to change the color , and not just the text. ( If that makes sense. )

Geraint

Quote from: BustyGermanGirl on September 24, 2013, 11:38:04 AM
I've been having issues changing any part of my signature to any color (let alone the cooler ones). I can do it in any of my posts, but it just won't change in my siggie. Am I doing something wrong?

The color coding tags need to be  within the url tags for your links, milady, or the system will ignore them.

So for your sig, to coding would be (changing the color names to suit you):

[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171822.msg8089339#new][Color=red]Off/Ons[/color][/url] –[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171829.0][color=green]My Story Ideas[/color][/url]- [url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=43089][color=blue]My Current Stories[/color][/url]

Off/OnsMy Story Ideas- My Current Stories

Geraint

Quote from: Daylily on September 24, 2013, 10:13:17 AM
Where can I find a list of the fonts useable?  I could go into my Word and find it, but I'm looking for a nice scripty one that people might actually be able to read.  I'm a dafontaholic. >.>

These are the fonts that will display on any windows system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_fonts

These are the ones that will show up in Max OS X

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typefaces_included_with_Mac_OS_X

Anything on both lists will work for practically anyone in posts here.

This comparison should help:

http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

edited to add links

The Lioness

Quote from: Geraint on September 24, 2013, 01:39:55 PM
The color coding tags need to be  within the url tags for your links, milady, or the system will ignore them.

So for your sigy, to coding would be (changing the color names to suit you):

[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171822.msg8089339#new][Color=red]Off/Ons[/color][/url] –[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171829.0][color=green]My Story Ideas[/color][/url]- [url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=43089][color=blue]My Current Stories[/color][/url]

Off/OnsMy Story Ideas- My Current Stories

Thank you very much! I will be fixing it when I get home from work.
♥ Poems ♥ Story Ideas ♥ Ons/Offs ♥ F-List♥ A/A (Updated as of 1/23/2024)♥ Art ♥ My Kingdom ♥

♥Posts owed: 0/2 ♥ Posts completed: 2/2 ♥ Pending: 0 ♥
♥Status: Open ♥

Neroon

Quote from: Daylily on September 24, 2013, 10:13:17 AM

You were thinking of something like this?

Here's the code so you can copy the font etc. nice and easily.
[font=monotype corsiva][color=maroon][size=12pt]You were thinking of something like this?[/size][/color][/font]
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Oreo

Annnd, this is what it looks like to someone who doesn't have Corsiva:

Neroon

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Oniya

Corsiva is one of my favorite scripty fonts.  I have a couple others, but that's the one that has the widest user-base.

Oreo

It's okay, Neroon. I'll likely go download it. I just wanted to show what happens when someone doesn't have it. :D

Geraint

This is from another thread, but germane:

Quote from: Trieste on August 27, 2013, 12:33:55 PM
Depending on what font you're using, sometimes you can get away with a particular font in a font family that most people have, too. Like, I use Lucida because I'm kind of a sucker for handwriting fonts, anyway, but most people have the whole Lucida family on their system, even if it's only Lucida Console and not the Handwriting one that is supposed to be standard.

Bradley seems to be less common, so I skipped it this time, even though I like Bradley Hand ITC a lot better than the Lucida Handwriting font.

Others on site also use Lucida Handwriting successfully.

I personally use Brush Script MT in RP posts on rare occasion, but it's not a particularly feminine script.

Neither comes with Windows, nor does Monotype Corsiva

All three come with Microsoft Office and most of the MS Publishing applications and type add-ons

Brush Script also comes standard with Apple OS X, but not the other two 

Note that, relevant to the quote from Trieste, both Windows and OS X have one standard font from the Lucida family listed (so may possibly also have Lucida Handwriting)   

The Dark Raven

I have all of them.  I was just looking for something so that I can (if needed) inline letters and diary entries for my characters.  Now to find how to block indent as well.

Geraint

Quote from: Daylily on September 24, 2013, 04:18:43 PM
I have all of them.  I was just looking for something so that I can (if needed) inline letters and diary entries for my characters.  Now to find how to block indent as well.

That makes it easier, actually.  Pick one of those three, and make sure your playing partner has it or downloads it.  That way your partner will be sure the see it display correctly, a lot of others will see it correctly also, and the rest will still be able to read it in a default font, like Oreo did. :D

edit:  Wisti and I have a thread where the characters exchange letters.  Her character uses Lucida Handwriting, and mine uses Brush Script MT.  It works out nicely.    :D

Oreo

Wow, won't be loading corsiva. It has apparently been copyrighted and not available. : (

The Dark Raven

My favorite for writing is Vladimir Script, but that isn't a standard one.