Game comments/critisisms/critique needed

Started by Combicon, July 07, 2009, 05:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combicon

I have always been interested in game creation, I suppose I've always thought it'd be interesting to see how games are made (especially the ones that I love to play).

I've used many game creators, most of them turn out to be rubbish, or so I think - one sticks out in my mind, I can't remember its name, but it just wasn't for me. I recently found another one which is a lot more open (yes, a bit more coding, but it's easier to use in the long run), I think it was made so more people could make point-and-click (adventure) games.

I recently came up with an idea, but I wasn't too sure if it was a good one, so I come to here to ask for your advice:

Essentially the game would be based around and in Bioshocks' Rapture. You play as a private investigator of sorts who's seeking a place that he can escape to from the world above. The character would go around solving some mysteries and puzzles (like trying to figure out why people are slowy turning into splicers).

Right now, that's pretty much all I've got set in stone, so, I was wondering what you guys thought...any comments/critisisms/critiques would be much appreciated.

HairyHeretic

Unfortunately I don't know Bioshock, so probably can't help too much with the atmospheric details.

Do you envision your game to be linear, with one quest leading to the next, or would you have the opportunity to go off and do side quests which might or might not have anything to do with the main story line?

I'm afraid I'm not a huge player of adventure games. Lately I've been working on a play by email 4X game, so most of my game creation brainmeats are going in that direction these days :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Combicon

I was thinking it'd be one quest leading to the next, if it had quests at all. xD
But this isn't a forum game, it's a video game esque thing, just incase I didn't point it out. xD

HairyHeretic

Yeah, I figured it was a video game.

I would presume each quest, story, arc, or whatever way you want to describe it would give a clue to the overall story, and move things along. I think if it were me I'd start with scripting the over all story out, then break it up into sections, and see what you'd need for each.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

DrFier

Sorry, I don't know what your looking for exactly, but maybe flash or irrlicht is a good start? Of course I only mentioned Irrlicht because it is free (its a C++ Library for 3d rendering). but again, I don't know what you are looking for.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.