Game Consoles and Energy Use

Started by Avi, November 20, 2008, 12:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_consumer/21/stop-wasting-money-video-games-and-energy-efficiency.html

This article struck me as interesting when I saw it this morning.  Might be worth reading if you're looking for ways to save energy this winter.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Inkidu

What they don't tell you is T.V.s and computers can sometimes consume twice as much. Besides the only thing the PS3 is good for is toasting smores.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

kongming

Nah, the PS3 has actually had some good games get released. The Wii continues to makes gimmick games and to flog the dead horse of Mario & friends, using the policy of "If you beat it long enough, the twitching of the body looks like a semblance of life" and the Xbox360 has... more "It's another FPS set in WWII, just like all the other fucking ones, because these games are made by Americans and that's the last war where the US were definite good guys instead of just making a huge cock-up and driving the locals to cannibalism" better suited to a PC.

Neither are actually looking that good still, but whereas the Wii started strong and is now fizzling out, the PS3 has finally remembered that it can be used to play video games and has decided to start producing a few.

Still, back to the point of the main topic, I'm amazed that people actually leave them on after use. Switching it off seems like such a natural thing to do. Ah well, there you go. And yes, producers really do need to make saving something you can do all the time. None of this "You have to find a save crystal and make your way to a typewriter" bullshit. Consoles are powerful enough now that they don't need to force those constraints.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515