A little tip for people who have lots of PMs

Started by Gavlois, July 20, 2012, 07:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavlois

In case you don't know this, there is an option in your profile settings to show PMs as a conversation. I found this not too long ago, and it is very helpful in keeping track of messages.
O/O

Beguile's Mistress

That and sorting them into label (folders) is really helpful to keep tract of various types of conversations. ;D

Oreo

Indeed! It comes in very handy for RPing in PMs, too.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Vekseid

There are bugs with this. Don't ever delete your pms when using this option. : /

Gavlois

On the note of deleting PMs Vekseid, is there a limited storage amount that I should keep track of and clean up appropriately?
O/O

Beguile's Mistress

Sarena

* Sarena the packrat that deletes nothing.

The labels and viewing as conversation are invaluable tools!  *nods sagely*
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Gavlois

Is there a difference between folders and labels?
O/O

Beguile's Mistress

Sarena

Indeed.  And it's really cool.  I have labels for mentoring stuffs, labels for each of my current writing partners and labels for miscellaneous conversation, story discussions, that kind of thing.  It is the obsessive compulsive control freak's dream, I tell you what!  So easy to find things when I need them. 
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Gavlois

And now, speaking of PMs, something bugged mine up. It says I have a new message up top, though I don't
O/O

Oreo

That is a common glitch that resolves itself within a few hours.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Gavlois

O/O

Oreo

Gavlois

Yes. In fact, I got it fixed by having someone PM me, so that it would go away. ^.^
O/O

Nessy

Organizing the PMs on this site seems darn near impossible. I'd just let gmail do it, but unfortunately the shift date stamps breaks up the conversations in gmail. Conversation works okay... except for the deleting thing which I accidently did before realizing what was happening with that.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Vekseid

Quote from: Gavlois on July 20, 2012, 08:11:03 PM
On the note of deleting PMs Vekseid, is there a limited storage amount that I should keep track of and clean up appropriately?

The PM system as it currently exists cannot be indexed very efficiently, so if you have many thousands of them, expect several-second delays when browsing your PM folders from time to time.

This will not be an issue in the new software, as the structure of how private messages work changes rather drastically.

Gavlois

O/O

Galactic Druid

How soon is the change? I was going to start working on folders and whatnot, but if everything is going to change in less than a month, I may keep it the same.

The only problem I've had with arranging PMs as a conversation is that some threads get so long they actually take a few moments to load with my poor connection, and over a minute on my phone. My bets solution has been to send a new PM every once in a while.

The topic I have with my favorite RP partner currently reads "Thread 5!"
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Oreo

I think present scheduling is close to a year, but Veks might be able to give a more accurate time frame.