Two Suggestions from the Newbie

Started by Myasa, April 29, 2009, 08:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myasa

1)
The first thing I noticed upon logging in as a newly improved member is an ocean of red boxes. It took me a full two minutes to realize these boxes were the forum boards. After asking the IRC about how to switch back to the classic forum look I had seen as an unapproved member, I found there was no such option. It took me a bit to figure out how to maneuver, and I know it will take me much longer to get used to navigating this foreign setup. I'd like to suggest that there be an option to have the forum layout appear as the classic one column look with icons and etc. for those of us unfamiliar and disarmed by the sudden image of "Attack of the Killer Boxes".

2)
I was told a good way to start was to post my Ons and Offs. Eager to begin, I found the appropriate board, clicked "New Topic", and then realized there was absolutely no guidelines or examples of how to post such a list anywhere to be found. For other newbies like me, I'd like to suggest a sticked topic in the ONS and OFFS boards that has a list of kinks for newbies to sort through, and perhaps a suggested template to be used with it. This would definitely help those unsure of what to do, whether they have too little to say or, like myself, way too much to say and don't know how to begin.

Feel free to slap me around if my suggestions are stupid, but I think they're reasonable enough. Still, I look forward to being truly active! ^_^

Greenthorn

The red boxes were unread messages (I think!)!  If you click on Mark All Messages Read at the bottom right..those red boxes go away  ;D

As for the O/O's the best thing to do is browse through other's O/Os!  I think most of us have started that way.

jouzinka

Well, Myasa, truth is that it's one's Ons and Offs most people would "judge" someone's "worthiness" as a writer/player on this site. If everyone is given a template, how do we distinguish one another? If you're not sure what kinks do what, you can always use the RabbitHole for suggestions which to include and/or simply comment on those that need it.

But I am with Greenthorn on the fact we all had to browse through other's O&O's to find our own way we wanted to present ourselves...

I don't think your suggestions are stupid. ;) And BTW welcome to E.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

ShrowdedPoet

There is a lot of info out there to help newbies out with these very issues.  Some info is located in the On Topic boards and in the monthly issues of the Community Paper.  Also it helped me to look at the ons and offs of others and pick and choose which styles I liked and it gave me an idea on how to start and what not.  I am against the template thing though it would make it easier, it would take all originality out of the Ons and Offs. 
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Trieste

Rabbit Hole is a fairly comprehensive list of kinks, I'm told.

Honestly, my O&O is purposely general, because I don't want someone to use it as a checklist... I want people to think about how to incorporate the themes under my 'on' column in roleplay. Not many like the way I've done mine, though, so they do it their way, but maybe they like something I've done with formatting...

... and so on. We all riff of each other. :)

Will

The three-column format was actually much preferred by most, I think.  It did briefly go back to the single column after the recent upgrade, but a LOT of people got kind of antsy to bring the three columns back.  If I remember correctly, anyway.  I suppose if enough people wanted to have another option it would make sense, but I'm not sure how many really do. 

I personally couldn't imagine having to scroll miles and miles down the page to get to the bottom. >.<  I keep a lot of boards minimized just for that reason, so I can see all of the boards without scrolling. :)
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac