[The Legend of Korra] New Republic City [Recruiting!]

Started by Karma, December 22, 2014, 11:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten years have passed since the Earth Empire was broken up and reformed as the Earth Commonwealth. Republic City, once a beacon of progress, was destroyed by the tyrant Kuvira’s mad rampage through the city with her platinum giant. So thorough was the destruction from both Kuvira’s weapon and the Avatar’s counterattack that the city was ultimately shut down by President Raiko in favor of building a brand new city. Republic City was declared to be a giant national monument, open to all, though buildings deemed to be too dangerous were closed off. Spirits poured forth from the new spirit portal forged by Avatar Korra and quickly took up residence in the old city, breathing vibrant life into what otherwise might have been a vast field of death.

Only a few miles away, President Raiko, the former Prince Wu, Fire Lord Izumi, Air Nation Representative Tenzin, and Avatar Korra together founded New Republic City. Like its namesake, NRC was founded with the combined goal of peace and progress among the sibling nations. With the combined efforts of Varrick Global Industries and Asami Sato’s Future Industries, as well as a driven populace and the support of the nearby Fire and Earth nations, NRC grew explosively, reaching twice Republic City’s size in a quarter of the time. Indeed, due to featuring the world’s two premier geniuses as well as benefiting from the technological advancements of Kuvira’s military, NRC is a mecca for the forward-thinking.

Asami’s and Kuvira’s developments in mechanized infantry was the start of a technological revolution. Radio began the electronic era, but the wartime applications of electronics pushed the world forward with the creation of advanced transistors and, shortly after the war, the first automated computing systems. Five years after New Republic City was founded, Varrick and Asami introduced the first self-driven construction robot. In the five years since, automatons have become household items, doing everything from vacuuming carpets to airlifting the wounded to the nearest hospital. With the help of automatons, the Air Nation was able to found its first city in recorded history: Yonten, the floating paradise, a city as nomadic as the ancestors of those that built it.

A year ago, Avatar Korra went on a pilgrimage to the spirit world to attempt one last time to reconnect with her past selves. She went alone, much to her wife’s dismay, and has not been seen since. Both Air Master Jinora and the imprisoned terrorist Zaheer have assured those concerned that they can sense Korra in the spirit world and that she does not seem to be in danger, but the world is becoming worried about how long Korra has been missing. As always, the absence of the Avatar has led some of the more unsavory sects of society to become bolder… but as yet, nothing drastic has occurred.

I'm interested in co-GMing a Korra game taking place something like ten years after the events of TLOK's finale. I'd want most of the characters to be OC, with canon characters being played primarily by me or my co-GM. The co-GM, in turn, would ideally be playing the game's main villain, which I'd like to work out with that person. The game would be fairly literary; two to three paragraphs for an average post. Players would need to either have watched Korra or not be bothered by spoilers. Specific details of Korra's events aren't very necessary because of the time gap and new villain, but would be very helpful when writing detailed posts and establishing your character in the setting. The GM should have a strong grasp of Avatar's world. Let me know! :)

MasterOfWhispers

I'd definitely be interested in doing something for this...
On and Offs

"How do you write like you're running out of time? Write day and Night like you're running out of time"- Hamilton Musical

Aiyanna

When you message me, please use the same message thread every time.
Ideas
O/o's

Saidi

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Help me revive my muse?

la dame en noir

I wanted to say 2 things

actually, 3 things.

1. your avatar is beautiful
2. we're from the same state woot
3. I could possibly be interested.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Quote from: la dame en noir on December 23, 2014, 01:45:28 AM
I wanted to say 2 things

actually, 3 things.

1. your avatar is beautiful
2. we're from the same state woot
3. I could possibly be interested.

Heehee. You betcha Korrasami is staying canon in this future!

*Your avatar is one of my other favorite things!

VonDoom

Very interested, though not sure I'll have the time to commit properly.

So that would put Korra at 30 and Asami at 31, yes? Assuming I'm not misremembering their starting ages as 17 and 18 respectively.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Juggtacular

Though our characters would be OC, can they be related to Canon characters?

Juggtacular

As long as they make sense in the setting, I don't mind. Su and Lin having another sister wouldn't make sense, for example, but Lin having a kid she never told anyone about would.

Juggtacular

Toph having another kid at her age, lol.

But yeah, I was planning on him being Lin's kid. She deserves some happiness.

Juggtacular

Angie

Yeah, I think I'm interested. Brb, need to read up on the medical profession in this world-i like playing the medics.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Juggtacular

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 23, 2014, 10:26:54 AM
Yeah, I think I'm interested. Brb, need to read up on the medical profession in this world-i like playing the medics.

Well Water Nation Healer would be the first thing that comes to mind. And if you had an Earthbender good enough at Earth Sense they could use that to diagnose people. Or you could just have a medical genius, like Asami or Varrick, but with biology and medicine.

Angie

Quote from: Juggtacular on December 23, 2014, 10:28:50 AM
Well Water Nation Healer would be the first thing that comes to mind. And if you had an Earthbender good enough at Earth Sense they could use that to diagnose people. Or you could just have a medical genius, like Asami or Varrick, but with biology and medicine.

My second love is of the Badass Normal trope, so probably more along the lines of medical genius. I'm not adverse to playing a Water Nation healer, though.

As a heads up, in case it's not obvious, this game will be more modern than Korra was; they already had forklifts at the end of ATLA, they have cars and friggin mecha in TLOK, so we'll probably see information age stuff start showing up. I haven't decided what exactly the situation will be yet.

Juggtacular

With Asami, Varrick, and Zhu Li all inventing stuff, 10 years would probably have a looooot of new tech.

Angie

For the good doctor, that means drugs. Lots of drugs!

Also, he won't just be a doctor, he'll be more combat medic then White Mage. Probably knowing some kind of staff based martial art, as the discipline it teaches is good for learning to focus in a high stress environment. An depending on tech level, he may have a firearm around forthe ooccasional harrier moment.

So if you go down and the LZ isn't clear, he will clear the fucking LZ.

Quote from: Juggtacular on December 23, 2014, 10:34:57 AM
With Asami, Varrick, and Zhu Li all inventing stuff, 10 years would probably have a looooot of new tech.

Yeah, I was thinking about it in the shower just now. The Future Industries mech suits have to be electronic since they were affected by the EMP. Since they already have that, and with the rise of talented metalbenders, circuit boards and transistors are only a stroke of genius away from reality in Korra already. Between Asami and Varrick, I think they'd already have rudimentary AI in ten years' time. Airplanes, modern (to our standards) weaponry, Wan knows what else...  it'll be a brave new world.

Juggtacular

The only thing about modern weaponry would mean Bending would be less used overall since it's easier to point a gun at someone then rip a chunk of rock out of the ground and throw it.